Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I’m thinking I’m just going to hold off as long as possible buying this gen until they get their poo poo patched. When’s the first limited distribution event? I’ll probably get it then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm about half way through the game, and I just have to say.

I appreciate the pokemon drawings on the wall of the art classroom.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just made it to Eri, and lol. Her car has Shift Gear AND Stamina? :stare: And my entire team are physical attackers.

My team is 3 levels higher than hers, and it's the first fight I had to tap out on all game.

Edit: Also, the naming convention on the gen 9 pokes are loving on point. Baxcalibur? Scovillain? Dachsbun? So good. :allears:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 23, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Some of these late game towns music and battle themes sound like something straight out of the Persona series. :psyduck:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
What’s people’s average time trying to sandwich shiny the paradox Pokémon? I’ve done two full runs trying to get Dark Robo-Gallade and nothing. :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Finally got my first shiny of the generation (and the only one I really care about). Iron Valiant. Quite literally the only reason I got violet over Scarlet.

Why is the Ralts line so loving awesome?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 29, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zore posted:

Yeah, its always been normal/flying. The first fighting/flying mon was Hawlucha in Gen 6.

I’m still sad we’re missing Gapdos until at least the DLC.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Was there ever a difference between a chipped teapot and a cracked teapot, mechanically?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

HootTheOwl posted:

Ground hazard that affects speed.
Electric Hazard that lowers defense.
Ghost hazard that lowers special defense.
Grass hazard that sleeps one switch (grass types, flying types immune, and eat the hazard)
Water hazard that lowers attack
Ice hazard that causes users or priority moves to slip and fall

We already have a bug entry hazard that lowers speed: Sticky Web. And we had a steel hazard last gen (Sharp Steel), but it was only available as a secondary effect on G-Max Steelsurge that only Copperajah got.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Got the rabbit last night with some help from the discord goons. Looks like the best strat it to either go at it alone with a Slowbro stored power build (and roll some decent dice) or go Armorouge + Scream Tail (or Gothitella) for a Fake Tears/Psychic Terrain/Helping Hand/Expanding Force one shot.

Anything weak to Acrobatics/Hi Jump Kick/Iron Head(quad)/Pyro Ball is going to cost you the game. Anything not physically bulky enough is going to cost you the game. Any rando who decides to start attacking and preemptively cause it's shield to go up is going to cost you the game.

So, yeah. Good luck without a dedicate team, ya fucks!

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 30, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Araxxor posted:

Cinderace is also smart enough to go for the highest damaging option, as STAB Pyro Ball will outdamage a super effective Iron Head in some cases.

The caveat to this is if an Iron Head is also a guaranteed KO, it will go for that over Pyro Ball for accuracy reasons.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

snohax posted:

*Azumarill with some defensive stats, maybe a sitrus berry or mirror herb, and Fake Tears / Helping Hand / Chilling Water can work as a support if you don't have other options.

This is basically what I did because I'm too new to 6* raids to have trained up more than a 3 or 4 mons.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I wish someone could just give me a pile of Salty Herba. I just realized it's necessary for pretty much all the shiny sandwiches, and the game has only thrown two at me so far. >_>

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Saagonsa posted:

You don't need any specific herba for the shiny sandwiches. This recipe let's you use any type of them:

https://twitter.com/SilentDestroySR/status/1596430687091167235?t=l9PGqjkg8e9_mwB_8EfgzQ&s=19

Oh poo poo. Thanks!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Araxxor posted:

The downside is that it causes the host and the other players more likely to abandon the raid.

I just use the ole bait + switch by waiting for everyone else to confirm when I have an Armorouge (that I haven't trained yet) up. Then swap to my one trained mon (Azu) and everyone probably shits themselves before they see I never Belly Drum and it's all support.

Most of the raids I've failed over the last day or so have just been Slobros who pulled the trigger too early or got an unlucky crit.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Clodsire was really an unsung hero of my playthrough, too. Yawn, massive tankability, and great typing. Plus, after getting the IV judge, it looks like the one I caught at the beginning of the game just happen to have 30 IV in attack and the best spread of any of my core team.

Plus, his sprite looks like an inflatable balloon. Rock on, you crazy diamond!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Rolling around the map scouring pokes to finally finish up my pokedex when I accidentally fall off a cliff and land on a Mudbray with the camera clipping through the wall, so I can't see anything.
Wait. Was that the sparkle sound? Oh poo poo! Surprising how well it fits in a Quick Ball.

This loving game sometimes. :allears:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hrist posted:

Sending out some hacked shiny Iron Hands named Push R Bot

My shiny Haxorus is not hacked but is named Hacks Я Us. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

The Uktra games take place in an alternate universe where Lillie’s mom sucked less

Was it gen 6 where they leaned super hard into "each pokemon game (cartridge) is separate timeline in the multiverse" in the post-game?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I always do my first playthroughs of a new gen w/o nicknames because I'm here just trying to remember the species names. Now that I'm postgame, I've been naming my shinies, at least:

TekkamanBlde, the Iron Valiant
Massive Push, the Iron Hands
Mechagojira™, the Iron Thorns
Schidtkicker, the Mudsdale
Rollin' Gold, the Revavroom
Red, the Pawmot
Getsuga, the Ceruledge

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Cleretic posted:

The only moves I thought were outright disappointing to see them remove were Pursuit and Hidden Power, since they both had pretty useful and interesting niches, but I can understand Pursuit if they were trying to make switchouts less punishing; that's absolutely fair if so.

Hidden Power I think was them planning ahead, though, because Terastallizing is basically a much less obtuse, much more visually and strategically interesting Hidden Power. And Terastallizing is better than mega-evos, Z-moves and Dynamaxing, so honestly, it was a good move to remove Hidden Power in preparation for Hidden Power On Crack.

The best Hidden Power substitute will always just be Weather Ball in snow because HP was ice 95% of the time, anyway. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BitBasher posted:

The problem with this example and three Azumarills is that in my experience they are all going to belly drum then only one of them is going to get a hit. After the first hit the enemy goes to half life or a little under then pops their shield and debuffs everyone. The remaining two Azumarills now have no belly drum, are at half life, and hit like pillows against the shield. If you are one of the Azus (or Iron hands) in this scenario then don't belly drum, instead focus on getting 3 hits in to Tera to get through the shield. I have a much higher win rate that way with the public.

To be completely fair, only a few 6* raids have player resets that trigger at HP%s. The vast majority of them trigger on the raid timer. So, each belly drummer will typically be able to get at least one hit in to heal via Shell Bell/Drain Punch.

The worst offender is Staraptor who resets player buffs at 75% AND 50% health. Most everyone else resets at 180 seconds or at something low like 20-30% health.

For people who care what the special action triggers are for each 6* raid, look here.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
For those who like all the weird design changes/choices, I highly recommend Reverend’s Pokémon Cryptids YouTube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WKabRs_SPQ

Wellwinds posted:

eh there's definitely poo poo that gets lost if you switch to digital, just compare his markerwork to the official gen one versions

could also just be tpc/gamefreak wanting to standardize the overall style and him having to conform to that though

Don’t forget three dot Venomoth, or third eye Cloyster!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tender Bender posted:

There's definitely a noticable trend in the gen 9 mons to go with big bold shapes, lots of 3d ovals pressed together and such. I don't know if that was an artistic reason or something for ease of 3d modeling.

Garganacl is very much not an oval.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Yeah. I ran into a couple where we had three Slobros and me (Espathra). Everyone buffs/debuffs except one just did Nasty Plot first instead of Iron Defense.

Uhhh, ok? Then it just goes into spamming Psychic and immediately dies over and over. Welp. There’s five minutes wasted.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Penny is never referred to with anything other than female pronouns. The pseudonym is feminine and her Sylveon is female.

I don’t see it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

indigi posted:

drat, I don't remember her getting poo poo about her family's wealth from anyone outside Area Zero. I remember NPCs being put off by her constant battle fever and boundless energy but besides the A/P team I don't recall anyone bringing the wealth up in a negative way. though I know I missed plenty of trainer battles so maybe it came up then

It's because she doesn't mention it at all, and she's so energetically aggressive re:battling that has become her defining trait instead of her family's wealth. Her family's house is a giant beachside villa with a battle court ON THE BEACH.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Lastest round of shiny nicknames. Judge me accordingly!

Prolapse, the Glimmora
DolphLundfin, the Palafin
You Die!, the Bombirdier
FrtherBeyond, the Annihilape
Massive Push, the Iron Hands
TekkamanBlde, the Iron Valiant
Chrome Sack, the Iron Bundle

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Because nature can be a vile and gruesome thing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The one I have to constantly remind myself of consciously is fire resists fairy.

Fairy should be weak to fire, too, incidentally. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dogmeat posted:

And Electric should be strong against Steel

By actual laws of physics, flying types should be immune to electricity and ground types should be weak to it. So :shrug:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Incorrect. Ground types are safely Grounded against electrical surges. Flying types get fried because they're often airborne and therefore just cop a lightning hit right through them.

I can’t tell if you’re being serious, but in reality, airborne objects get hit by lightning all the time. The danger comes when the voltage is high enough for the electricity to arc to something at a lower potential. Air is a super good insulator and airborne objects rarely discharge like that.

Grounded creatures would be perfect conductors for all that voltage to pass through which would severely gently caress them up. Just look up those videos of people who touch energized power polls while being well grounded (either standing in water or near barefoot). They drop like a sack of rocks.

On a similar note, pure water is actually an excellent insulator, but it’s always mixed with some sort of soluble conductor (like salt from your body).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Water getting a U-Turn, a Fire Blitz, and the best burn attack in the game the last two gens is kind of bullshit.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Flopsy posted:

Frog Squad continues to strike fear into the hearts of my enemies.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldex-1775459138-p9nsm7pjt1vrbp4qnczbp8hk6e2misrpw

Frogs just too strong...too powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22PlMWiwXFY

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Flopsy posted:

Because they want us to suffer. Either that or they get off to the hosed up in game economy built up around them which is even weirder frankly.

What’s weird is that those are the two conclusions you immediately jump to.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I used my beast ball on shiny Iron Moth.

I do not regret my decision.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Flopsy posted:

Did you actually catch em'? I'm not trying to be condescending btw I'm genuinely curious if it took given the catch rates.

Yeah. It took a half hour of resetting, though. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Klungar posted:

Aren’t 5* the shiny Icons?

Event 5*s shine bluish white. Normal 6*s shine dark purple. Event 7*s also shine a darker color but have a different radiation pattern. Regular 5*s don’t shine.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
What are even the differences re: the story? Isn't the difference just on whether Arven's mother or father joined the expedition and decided which era to allow to invade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Muscle Tracer posted:

I got a shiny Glimmet on my first sandwich hunt, thereby proving Violet and Miraidon (or "my ride-on") to be the superior version and box legendary.

I got a shiny Glimmet so early on my sandwich hunt, I was able to just ride around and snag a shiny Ghastly right after. :smug: