Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

oddium posted:

too good for this timeline. may the mew truck hit me and mandela me into a better world

What we did get for this concept was pretty good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

Is especially weird because also just browsing they added stuff like Ground Close Combat and Water Double Edge.

I thought those moves were introduced in Legends Arceus.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

So after playing for a bit, I can agree that the game could use another patch or two to fix some of the more major issues that other people have had, but I haven't experienced anything of that sort myself. Only the weird minor stuff that can take you out of the immersion. Granted I've only beaten one gym and on my way to fight the giant crab.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

the_steve posted:

Because they know it's a license to print money? I mean, if you told me I was going to make hundreds of millions of dollars and didn't have to do anything other than wait on the check to cash, why would I interfere with that process?

Not just that, but this cash flow is just guaranteed to come in every three years and the games are already made on the cheap.

Its a very consistent model since fans will just buy the game to obtain the Pokemon within, no matter what sort of crap they have to endure to get them.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Augus posted:

what is “the game everyone wants” even

Its funny because it does answer some fan requests: People wanted a dolphin and flamingo Pokemon and wanted Dunsparce to evolve... and they literally got all that.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Mr E posted:

Clodsire has been my unexpected MVP so far, just a tanky cute mon that can learn a good amount of moves. I've finished 3 gyms, 2 star bases, and 2 titans. I haven't had issues with the gyms due to covering their weakness when I got there, same with the titans, but the last fights for the star bases I've done gave me a bit of trouble.

Mine clowned on the Water gym due to its Water Absorb ability.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Flopsy posted:

I've already finished every class in school but I don't know where the copy of the Scarlet/Violet book is.

Its on one of those standalone shelves on the first floor of the entrance hall, to the right of you upon entering I believe. Its a lot like those green books that stick out among the bookshelves except its Scarlet/Violet.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Flopsy posted:

Can you check it out or do you have to come back and keep reading it?

Not sure what you mean, but its divided into several chapters which talks about the various features of the crater.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I finally marathoned the last few challenges the game throws at you and finished the game.

That ending was... something else.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

wizard2 posted:

I got a Tera Ghost Eevee in the event raids! How do I get high Friendship quick in Scarlet/Violet? Tera Ghost Umbreon seems like itd be fun

I managed to catch a Tera Steel Eevee. Not sure if and what I should evolve it into but it'll be a good start for breeding stuff.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

E-flat posted:

Have people figured out good raid pokemon, or with the tera types is it too hard to generalize?

Apparently the main strategy for high level raids are all Perrserker with Steely Spirit to keep powering themselves and each other up. Maybe throw in the occasional Tinkaton in the mix.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Regarding the endgame: I got the impression that the original Sada/Turo was that while they did get carried away with their dream of bringing paradox Pokemon into present day Paldea, deep down they were good people since they were killed trying to protect the player's Koraidon/Miraidon from the other one. Also since the AIs was based on their exact personality, they probably would have seen the errors of their ways and make amends if they could.

Also in regards to some Pokemon depicted in the Scarlet/Violet book: I feel like the "Disc Pokemon" that is described as being the source of Terastalization might be related to two Pokemon: It might be a Paradox version of Glimmora, similar to how Koraidon and Miraidon are paradox versions of regular Pokemon Cyclizar. There are a lot of them in the cave area of Area Zero, and one of its dex entries describe it as having crystals that are similar to Tera crystals. The other Pokemon might be Arceus itself. It might be wild speculation on my part, but the picture that depicts it reminds me of an "egg" of sorts. Maybe one similar to the one Arceus supposedly hatched from at the beginning of time. Not to mention that Arceus's main gimmick is that it is able to change its typing. Also the fact that Scarlet and Violet were being planned at around the same time that Legends was being developed.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I named mine Pavé, after the Animal Crossing character but Sylvando is an excellent name as well.

EDIT: I think the duck is actually the best looking one of the bunch. Although looking at all of them, its interesting how all the fully evolved starters have some kind of "floating" element to their designs. Meowscrada has that flower floating above it, Skeledirge has the fire bird on its snout and Quaquaval has its carnival feathers.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 30, 2022

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

The Paradox monsters are basically like Ultra Beasts where they're extremely rare and almost unheard of in this world but where they come from they're the main forms of life.

While Sada/Turo were able to obtain nearly unlimited numbers of the other Paradox Pokemon, they were only able to obtain 2 Koraidon/Miraidon. In a sense, they're a bit like Solgaleo and Lunala. They're officially classed as Legendaries, but there are probably multiple individuals.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Got my Charizard in a Dream Ball

I specifically trained a Dachsbun for this fight and it ended up being hammered a few times by Hurricane.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I suppose the main reason why they don't include anything like a Battle Frontier and in fact keep scaling back the Battle Tower feature for each new game is probably due time constraints during development and not wanting to put effort into a feature that only most hardcore players would actually experience. More elaborate set pieces would probably before parts of the story that most people would actually see in the main campaign.

Or its very much possible that this time they included something like a battle frontier but its in a DLC area. I can see them do this.

qnqnx posted:

Fighting is all that matters

Nemona?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just realized they nerfed Thunder Wave to only have 90 accuracy instead of 100, that was a bullshit move!!!

I feel like paralysis tends to immobilize my Pokemon a lot more then in other games so maybe there's a trade off.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Larryb posted:

Not even with a Level 100 Water Type?

This Charizard is a Dragon tera type so it has the type match up of a pure dragon type.

Fairies are the best bet in this situation.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

I want this Charizard but I'm not done the post game and don't have 6s unlocked yet, am I hosed or is it generally accessible and/or going to be around for a few more days?

The Charizard raid will come back on the 16th. But if you want just a Charmander in general you could probably get them through surprise trade. I already received two via that method.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I'm rarely clever enough to come up with a good nickname on the spot. In fact I mostly stopped giving nicknames to main campaign monsters and only give them to ones I plan on adding to my living Pokedex.

Right now I feel like the cleverest nickname I've come up with in this game is Amy Ferrose the Tinkaton.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I think the idea of versions being parallel universes to each other has probably been a thing since Gen 5. If I remember there's actually a small sidequest where someone in Opelucid City (which is made of old stone buildings in White and White 2, and futuristic in Black and Black 2) wants to see an electric type from the other version of the game. After seeing it they apparently make contact with someone from the other version.

Its been a thing for a while, and its also kind of implied that every single playthrough is its own "universe" of sorts. Team Rainbow Rocket in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are seemingly made up of the villains of past games that all come from universes where the player character wasn't around to stop them. I like to interpret it as they all game from save files where the player got bored and stopped playing.

I guess the "each save file is its own universe" theory also neatly solves the issue with Legendary Pokemon and how there can be multiple individuals of supposedly one-of-a-kind monsters.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Between raids, the Ace Tournament, and all the items that litter the landscape, you won't be pressed for cash.

Not to mention that a lot of places also accept league points.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Desperate Character posted:

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I caught a six-star Maushold with Technician; the bad news is it is in a Premier Ball :negative:

If Maushold can be bred I can make some copies; I also got a six star fire Tauros I want to breed too.

Jolly Ditto with max IVs are going to be super valuable for these guys.

Although if you have spare Ability Patches you could get any old Tandemaus in a Luxury Ball and use it on that. I think the HA can be passed down to potential offspring.

EDIT: I managed to catch a shiny Vivillon who was a bystander during EV training. I think several years ago it would have been impossible to get shiny Fancy pattern Vivillon, but here we are.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I found a shiny in Area Zero... It was a Golduck :negative:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I think that one's been dubbed "Mega Weavile" by the competitive community since it practically does almost all the things Weavile can do.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Luckily This one is able to be sent to Pokemon Home and away from your own bike lizard

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

If you put one Pokemon in each box the game will unlock more boxes until you have 30 something (it caps out at 31 until a certain point where it unlocks the final box for a total of 32).

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

You're lucky that there's no Marmite or Vegemite in this game.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

How is Houndstone not a rock type? It's literally in the name!

So many ghost types could have been rock type as well.

Sableye, Spiritomb, Golurk, Galarian Corsola, Cursola, Runerigus and now Houndstone.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Rudoku posted:

Who is he that gets Internet nerds riled up so much?

https://twitter.com/rena_rawr_/status/1590036919471132672

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Found a Flittle with a green frill last night. I'm not liking the decision behind getting rid of the shiny sound/sparkle and adding shinies that aren't that strikingly different from the original, especially on really small Pokemon.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Larryb posted:

On another note, I managed to track down copies of the Orre games since I’ve wanted to play them and it doesn’t look like they’re going to be ported/remade anytime soon. Speaking of, what’s the best overall form to evolve Eevee into in Gale Of Darkness and how soon can you do so?

You can evolve your Eevee extremely early since you're given a choice between the 3 stones to evolve Eevee into Vaporeon, Jolteon and Flareon or you can get the Sun Shard and Moon Shard, which are key items unique to this game that makes Eevee evolve into Espeon or Umbreon almost instantaneously since there's no in-game clock in Pokemon XD.

Also the best way to play as in most Pokemon games is to go hyper offensive so Jolteon or Espeon are your best bet, especially when you don't have to deal with the happiness mechanic.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Haifisch posted:

I find it funny that after years of the fanbase going "give us an open world pokemon game gamefreak, stop railroading us", the most common (non-bug-related) complaints are "this is an open world game, I can go wherever I want in whatever order I want, wtf?".

Its almost as if the Pokemon fanbase isn't a monolithic entity that all share the same opinions.

But yeah, Game Freak's ideas for "open world" is a lot better then in previous games which had "dungeons" that were basically a hallway, and the most complicated of these being 3 different short dead ends with a single item.

Sword and Shield kind of had both examples: the base game had the Galar mines which were just hallways you can't get lost in and the DLC had a few areas (the woods on the Isle of Armor and the Cave that led to the Crown Shrine in the Crown Tundra) which could make you feel like Leon.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I detest this repulsive little freak.

I think "repulsive little freak" is its whole deal.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

At this point I believe that Pokemon just materialize out of thin air and only exist for a few seconds before being discovered by a human observer. Eggs do the same but in a way that humans can kind of comprehend.

It might also explain how male only, genderless and Pokemon that can't be bred just exist in virtually unlimited numbers, especially in places where Ditto don't live.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

also I can't be the only one picking up on the very strong subtext that Penny was harassed in school for bring trans, so her friends beat up and press ganged her bullies, right?

The harassment at school is a real thing but I think all the bosses were "misfits" who then found each other and "Cassiopeia". They also hadn't met Penny face to face and only communicated via Rotom phones. Also I don't believe that trans rights were explicitly brought up but its still applicable.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

If you read the little descriptions for each challenge, they mention that Ortega's family owns a major apparel company in Paldea, which explains his suit.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

She kind of mentions that her dad is on the board for the Rotom phone company and her older sister is the one that's expected to take over the business so basically she's free to do what she wants, and that's to battle with Pokemon.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Pokemon_cojp/status/1614774437684846592

Next 7 star raid will be a Poison Tera Greninja

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Flopsy posted:

Called it! Does it say what ability it's going to have?

I'm going to imagine that it'll be the Protean one since Battle Bond Greninja can't be bred, and they seem to be okay with Charmander and Scorbunny being surprise traded.