Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm thinking of redoing my bathroom in the spring and eyeing up a big whirlpool style tub with the air jets in it.

Before I pull the trigger I'm just checking to see if anyone has or had one before and if they are worth it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
So I own a house built in the late 90s and it came with a 2 person Jacuzzi bath tub with jets. My wife and I have only used it ONE TIME in 6 years.

It takes a time long to fill since it is a 2 person tub and since it does not have a heating element like a hot tub, the water actually cools down quickly when the jets are on. I guess its similar to stirring a pot of hot soup or sauce...it increases the heat loss at a faster rate.

Without doing any research on my end - if they do make a tub with a heating element you should definitely invest in that or don't bother for a fancy tub at all.

Also, i am sure the technology has improved by now, but when the jets are on it is LOUD. like obnoxiously loud to the point it isn't even enjoyable to sit in the tub for an extended period of time.

Your mileage may vary.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Thanks! I was kind of feeling there would be issues like that but just wanted to be sure.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Just stayed in a rental condo yesterday that had a large jet tub and there was a sign saying don't use it after 10 PM. My niece fired it up at 8 AM and we found out why, fucker was loud as poo poo.

Also why the gently caress do American tubs not have a lip on the edge? If you install them perfectly flat or even slightly tilted any water that gets on the top surface runs out on to the bathroom floor. I went to Australia once and all the tubs I saw had a nice little edge lip on them that kept water from running over. It would run back in to the tub instead. Such a great idea and I haven't seen one in my shopping attempts yet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The place my parents used to live at before had one. I'll second what Some Guy From NY said, the heating element is a must if you go for it. Otherwise you're wasting a shitton of water to keep it warm. And even heating could get expensive depending on your electricity rates. I don't recall the jets being too loud, certainly you could hear the pump but it wasn't deafening on anything.

But also do think if you'll really use it.

LloydDobler posted:

Just stayed in a rental condo yesterday that had a large jet tub and there was a sign saying don't use it after 10 PM. My niece fired it up at 8 AM and we found out why, fucker was loud as poo poo.

Also why the gently caress do American tubs not have a lip on the edge? If you install them perfectly flat or even slightly tilted any water that gets on the top surface runs out on to the bathroom floor. I went to Australia once and all the tubs I saw had a nice little edge lip on them that kept water from running over. It would run back in to the tub instead. Such a great idea and I haven't seen one in my shopping attempts yet.
Never seen this in the Northern hemisphere, It's obviously only in Australia so that the water doesn't leak out

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The jets on mine are broken and so they just grow mildew inside them and make it hard to clean the tub. If I do take a bath just about no matter how well I clean things, there are gross bits of mildew floating around from inside the jet openings. My parents had one growing up and if you ran bleach water through the (working) jets it would clean it pretty well, but it was pretty mandatory to do that anytime you wanted to use the jets otherwise you'd get gross mildew flakes blowing around in your bath with you.

I really wish someone would make a tub with heated walls so you could enjoy a constant temp. bath and not have to deal with jets.

E: all that being said I love that my tub is huge and deep, which I don't think is easy to find on non-jetted tubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I have one, but it mostly serves as a mop sink at this point because filling it takes my entire hot water heater to get to hip deep. An on-demand water heater would make it much more usable.