Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
Problem description: No longer able to get into Windows 10 on my Windows/Ubuntu dual boot laptop. Selecting Windows boot on Grub screen results in "End Entire cannot load image" error. Selecting Windows boot on BIOS screen automatically takes me to Dell OS recovery/repair. Looking at my partitions with the Disks utility in Ubuntu shows that the partition Windows 10 is on doesn't seem to have an OS associated with it.

Attempted fixes:
--Tried the Dell OS repair option. It detected a "No boot" error and claimed to have fixed it but nothing changed.
--Got into Windows startup repair by booting with a USB image. Tried the built in option but it said it could not fix the system.
--Followed guides from google results on using command line options like BCDBoot, FixMBR, and FixBoot. Just like the Dell option, they claim to have worked but nothing improves.
--Tried using the Windows startup repair to restore from an automatic backup from a few weeks ago. It also claims to have worked but system still can't boot Windows 10.
--Tried using the Ubuntu program Boot Repair. It has an option for repairing Windows boots but it does not seem to be selectable for me. Log of the info it finds can be found here. Windows partition is nvme0n1p3; the program finds an unknown bootloader on it (see the end of the file) but does not have any recommended actions.

Recent Changes Problem was initially the reverse of what it is now; after booting up Windows I lost the ability to get into Ubuntu. I do not know what caused this specifically, but i assume it was some sort of update that Windows did in the background. Booting Ubuntu from a USB drive and running the Boot Repair software was able to restore my access to Ubuntu by reinstalling Grub. Something about that installation is the likely source of whatever is now wrong with Windows 10.

Operating System: Windows 10/Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS dual boot, 64 bit.

System Specs:Dell G3 3590, intel I-5 9300H, 8.0 GiB memory

Any advice on other things to try out before I resort to the nuclear option of a clean install?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU