Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

"Spirituality" doesn't signify anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

god is real and strong and my friend

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

my religion starts ten thousand years ago when the shamans of altai were driven from their mountain home by a terrible flood

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

half you people worship marx just as hard as christians worship jesus

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I have a personal relationship with Karl Marx

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i am hoping for a crazy leftist prophet who claims to be marx reincarnated and ready for battle

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The only religion for discerning intellectual in 21st century involves jerking it onto drawings of Superman

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wife was invited to go to non-denominational church tomorrow. I'm going to wear my suit and make my baby look cute. I have no idea how to conduct myself as a guest, but I do not want to do the binding rituals that christians do, what is the tactful way to refuse a communion or a baptism?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

KirbyKhan posted:

Wife was invited to go to non-denominational church tomorrow. I'm going to wear my suit and make my baby look cute. I have no idea how to conduct myself as a guest, but I do not want to do the binding rituals that christians do, what is the tactful way to refuse a communion or a baptism?

If it were a Catholic church you would cross your arms but Prots essentially make up their own rules so idk

Why isn't your wife a good Catholic?

War and Pieces has issued a correction as of 16:26 on Dec 10, 2022

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

The most common way to refuse communion is to just stay in your seat when told to go up for it. No one will read anything into it, as you could just as easily be from a stricter sect that doesn't take communion outside of their church or denomination as you are someone who is not taking communion because you don't confess the same beliefs as they do.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that, when you go up and get in front of the person distributing the bread and wine, stand with your arms crossed in front of you and down, so like put your arms down and grab one wrist with your other hand. The pastor will likely give you a blessing, in much the same way that they do for children who haven't taken first communion. Depending on the church, this might involve getting the sign of the cross made on your forehead but will probably just be verbal with maybe a hand sign tops.

If you're super concerned, just ask one of the ushers or people handing out bulletins what you should do. There's a wide range of Protestant views on communion, particularly as it relates to non-members, so if you are uncomfortable just winging it, that's gonna be your best bet.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KirbyKhan posted:

tell them that god isnt real

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

War and Pieces posted:

Why isn't your wife a good Catholic?

She is the kind of Christian that has laid the groundwork to cancel last minute on Sunday morning via text, so she doesn't know what to do at these things either.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Just wear a shirt that says "debate me" or something idk

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

don't lie in church. god hates that

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Loudly complain about Vatican 2.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm gonna call Martin Luther a casual

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If you don't tell them your name or say it backwards and wear your shirt inside out, the spells the priest might cast upon you will be confused and likely fizzle out. Just don't swallow the wine, find a potted plant and spit it out.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

AnimeIsTrash posted:

AiT going 2 church

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90OFZQx_7xI

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Listening to The Bruenigs pod to observe cross Christian verbal one upmanship.

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1601361227208429570

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Trip Report, didn't go, it snowed so my wife sent a text to her buddy and rolled back into bed

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

KirbyKhan posted:

Gilgamesh is just the first story being retold in every medium known to man.

Currently Gilgamesh exists in Final Fantasy, so yes he is extremely anime.

there are much older stories, op

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Just learned that LDS makes polygamist converts get divorced but the woke Mormons who split from LDS over remaining monogamous make an exception for polygamist converts.

Religion rules

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

War and Pieces posted:

Just learned that LDS makes polygamist converts get divorced but the woke Mormons who split from LDS over remaining monogamous make an exception for polygamist converts.

Religion rules

one of their sects recently got busted for having child wives again

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

one of their sects recently got busted for having child wives again

religious prosecution is good. being a mormon should be illegal like the falun gong

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

good luck enforcing that when the FBI agents themselves are Mormon

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

religious prosecution is good. being a mormon should be illegal like the falun gong

how many times do we have to do prohibition before we learn this lesson? decriminalize moronism and regulate it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
spent the day collecting crosses from churches and destroying them with chainsaws & flamethrowers. mwahahaha

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
burning bibles for warmth like a baws

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Azathoth posted:

I'm always leery of applying modern concepts or ideologies to people who didn't have the frameworks that we have, particularly economic ones, but as much as Christians focus on Jesus' spiritual message, he had just as strong of a temporal message about taking care of the worst off in society.

So much of what he said can be boiled down to "make sure everyone's physical and spiritual needs are met" but so much of modern Christianity definitely likes to leave out the physical part.

this happens every 3-4 pages in the a/t religion thread, v funny

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

educated, agitated, & organized

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

If you've already had your kootie shot you should be immune.

Otherwise, Google "Circle and Dots: Gendered Immunology". It's a brief but dry read.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Dress as a racist caricature of a member of a non-christian religon.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Smythe posted:

spent the day collecting crosses from churches and destroying them with chainsaws & flamethrowers. mwahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

what’s the best Christmas song? I like the fire and brimstone ones

quote:

God rest ye merry gentlemen
Let nothing you dismay
Remember Christ our Savior
Was born on Christmas Day
To save us all from Satan's pow'r
When we were gone astray