Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

putting the Christ back in Christmas today by making the family watch Youtube videos about how the nativity story was probably invented because Bethlehem was theologically important and Nazareth was flyover country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'm more worried about those wizards. Where'd they go? Did anyone keep an eye on the tricky fucks? An unattended magi can do a lot of harm in just a few years and it's been centuries!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Atrocious Joe posted:

putting the Christ back in Christmas today by making the family watch Youtube videos about how the nativity story was probably invented because Bethlehem was theologically important and Nazareth was flyover country

It's my favorite point in favor of the historical existence of Jesus. The Gospels go to great lengths to explain why a guy from bumfuck nowhere was totally not born there even though everyone knew he grew up there and his whole family had been there since forever. If there wasn't a historical Jesus, the writers would have just had him grow up in Bethlehem because why not it'd be much easier.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

I'm more worried about those wizards. Where'd they go? Did anyone keep an eye on the tricky fucks? An unattended magi can do a lot of harm in just a few years and it's been centuries!

they only knew cantrips smdh

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

speng31b posted:

they only knew cantrips smdh

That might sound mild until some spell chucker tries to prestidigitate an atom, then boom! Many such cases

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Colonel Cancer posted:

they were just zoroastrian priests wtf.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Azathoth posted:

It's my favorite point in favor of the historical existence of Jesus. The Gospels go to great lengths to explain why a guy from bumfuck nowhere was totally not born there even though everyone knew he grew up there and his whole family had been there since forever. If there wasn't a historical Jesus, the writers would have just had him grow up in Bethlehem because why not it'd be much easier.

not all of the gospels bother, mark at least is pretty comfortable with jesus just being a hick from the sticks. but as layers of messianic prophecy were grafted onto the historical core of the story it seems like jesus being from galilee became pretty inconvenient because galilee was not exactly considered to be "jewish" by most people in judea at the time

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I went to an Orthodox Church yesterday and sat through 2 hours of vesperal Divine Liturgy cause I like mosaics, incense, rituals, chanting, wailing, drone music, lighting candles, portals, icons, and things from Constantinople

it was fun seeing the local Greek families all dressed up

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Colonel Cancer posted:

That might sound mild until some spell chucker tries to prestidigitate an atom, then boom! Many such cases

Mods!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
With all due respect, I could use the Quran to craft justification for cutting off ties to my family with ease, much less doing worse things to them, some of which the Quran actually asks me to do without any regards to their beliefs or lack of.

But I figure nobody wants a religious quote-off on top of everything else here.

So not to wave my trilby too much around but any religious justification is utterly irrelevant to me, and I think you’re reading more into me using one foreign word at the level of Islamophobes like the relatives and friends of the people here. I’ll try not to use any liturgical languages in the future.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/KeithLAlberson/status/1610676131518369793

So unlike your christ you christians are.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
america.html

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

there’s that other huge Orthodox Church a half mile down the road with lots of space, maybe not a bad idea to point them to that spot if I go by there.

it would probably be a good thing if the general situation isn’t as hosed up as it is now with Bruce Harrell actively making it worse, cause the church has a lot less resources and ability to handle a large group with diverse needs.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 19:50 on Jan 4, 2023

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Legionnaire's lives matter

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the truth about Syria? https://twitter.com/filomen03258997/status/1616927603918622720

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
There's an old Jewish joke that goes like this:

A devout Jew was shipwrecked on a desert island. When his rescuers arrived a couple of years later, they discover he has built two synagogues during his isolation. His rescuers ask why he needed two. He answers, "One was the synagogue I prayed in, and the other was the one I wouldn't be caught dead in".

I was thinking about it when I went to a new church the other day where they played guitar during the service. I can see how some people would enjoy it, but I don't like it. I guess I should just accept that I'm turning into my grandma.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

William Bear posted:

There's an old Jewish joke that goes like this:

A devout Jew was shipwrecked on a desert island. When his rescuers arrived a couple of years later, they discover he has built two synagogues during his isolation. His rescuers ask why he needed two. He answers, "One was the synagogue I prayed in, and the other was the one I wouldn't be caught dead in".

that reminded me of the last 2 Jews in Kabul, who hated each other passionately

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

mawarannahr posted:

that reminded me of the last 2 Jews in Kabul, who hated each other passionately

you are a pimp, and a sorceror!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/AKanisetti/status/1621060171484246016?cxt=HHwWgMDRjeTolP8sAAAA

Also learning how psychotic Theravadan thai buddhists are towards communism.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, Thai Buddhist are p buckwild. Only monks I know of that regularly get caught tweeking on meth.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://twitter.com/AKanisetti/status/1621060171484246016?cxt=HHwWgMDRjeTolP8sAAAA

Also learning how psychotic Theravadan thai buddhists are towards communism.

wow you mean this religion that depended upon mauryan/shunga/gupta patronage had unsavory practices?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

dropping cough syrup into the monks begging bowl with a beneficent smile

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

one time I hiked to a buddhist temple in korea and a monk from poland was there. I don't know if he was there on some sort of exchange program or something but we drank some vodka he had brought from home (didn't know you could do that) while he told me and my friend stuff like how he became a monk because he lusted after women but now through his religious practice was together with all women. I still think about that sometimes because I think I get what he was getting at but, man, what a strange way to say it. weird guy, but friendly. having grown up in the american midwest that's my only real interaction with the fourth most practiced religion in the world. thank you for reading my story and namaste

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
N A M A S T E
A
M
A
S
T
E

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
keep thinking about how there's some chance of a market crash from the DAN answers of chatgpt establishing it as a genuine modern false prophet and unsealing good old inevitable door number three, carrying scales in fine black silk lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Siddhartha telling the peasants money really is the root of all suffering

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/themormonr/status/1625872756897116161?t=0bkvGLt7bm4V075haTSzOg&s=19

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tempora Mutantur posted:

every fuckin day, as an american, I wish that american christians were right and there was a real hell, just because 99% of them would be tortured for eternity in it and suddenly their religion would rule

alas

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

drat, being mormon seems cool (for dudes)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I would love to truly believe that I was gonna get my own planet when I died

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
mormon is the sickest Abrahamic dlc

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Smythe posted:

mormon is the sickest Abrahamic dlc

yahweh had to come across the atlantic to start getting truly buckwild

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

yahweh had to come across the atlantic to start getting truly buckwild

True but I think he really knocked it out of the park with Minister Farrakhan

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the idea that yahweh was just some schlub alien space mormon dad that got his own planet makes sense out of a lot of poo poo tbh

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
you need photo id in utah to buy a drat pepsi

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Al! posted:

you need photo id in utah to buy a drat pepsi

lol owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan