Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

nd I just want to signal boost it as much as possible because Jesus Christ my man is revolutionizing investigative documentary film and nobody is bothering to watch.

This mfer made me cry real tears over the Disney Channel theme good lord.

https://youtu.be/b_rjBWmc1iQ

watch it or don't I'm not your mom, but it's really good content.
thread icon related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
what's it about you dumbass

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Schweinhund posted:

what's it about you dumbass

lmao it didn't embed

It's about him tracking the source of the Disney Channel 4 tone theme and using it to tell a heartbreaking tail of the forgotten men and women of creative arts. He also uses it as a venue to be critical of those that minimize others artistic creations for the medium they are presented on. Essentially the antithesis of "the medium is the message".

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

it's v good and well worth a watch

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I think it's important that we devalue artists so business people can afford nicer yachts.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I'll devalue your posts

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_rjBWmc1iQ

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
I just watched/listened to this thing while walking around. Writing my long winded reaction because I think it's an interesting artifact of youtube documentary and I've got the time. This is not to poo poo on you if you like this kind of stuff BTW, it's just I do work on documentaries sometimes and it's an interesting attempt at an alternative way to make them that I think falls short. It's a sort of reverse-engineering thing for me - why do we make films the way we do and not the way this one was made?

I was gonna be a lot more negative, and I don't think it was worth the running time, though it does end with a nice tribute to a behind the scenes person who deserves a tribute. But I'm walking back the criticisms I had a little because at the end it did make me think about the value of art in a world where to be an artist and live, most people have to navigate some kind of awful commercial hell, and tailor their work to that world. That stuff, and the final 20 minutes are so, are nice and should probably have been the entire project. All the same, there's a reason I don't think it was worth the time and I wouldn't agree it's "revolutionizing investigative documentary film".

There's this knowing joke-undercurrent of this guy feeling undervalued as a documentarian because he's on youtube and he (I guess?) does Disney related content only or something. My reaction to this was, this is correct. Media criticism videos on youtube are great, I've watched plenty that had value. But I think this film underserves its topic. There's like an hour of, basically, "fandom" stuff about this TV channel - history, branding changes, promos, nostalgia hits that the audience might recognize. Stuff that is largely irrelevant to the mystery and the solution to the mystery. I had to keep listening basically out of fascination that fan content this granular finds an audience. It has to be based on an assumption that the only people viewing are hardcore Disney Channel nostalgics who will just love seeing the stuff without much added.

The guy keeps mentioning history, and historical study, as if that's what he's doing, and sure, you could say that. He's finding stuff out. But what's missing that makes it not history, and not "documentary" as he would like it to be, is context and analysis. There's very little critical thought in most of the descriptive stuff - it's just describing a big TV channel and its branding. Branding can be an interesting topic in context but he doesn't look at it critically. He just kinda talks about this channel, and these business forces, that made these artists make these little clips and pieces of music, like God or some inexplicable force of history created it all. That, to me, is what makes most of the runtime of the video "fandom" stuff and not investigation or documentary.

It gets touched on near the end with the woman whose job was re-branding TV channels talking about seeding Disney's commercial interests throughout the interstitial content to manipulate kids. There's a film in that topic alone! At the very least if you're making this story I think you have to position it in history - what's going on in culture at what time that influences these things. You can't just talk about logo redesigns as the main meal. Maybe logo redesigns are interesting positioned in the context of 90s-2000s kids TV programming as a whole or something but a lot of this video was like "check this out" and that's it. If you're so fascinated with TV channel grammar, I'd expect you to have more to say about it analytically. You can't just keep repeating how significant and important this jingle is because it's been on TV for 20 years (especially when you started your film with one that has been going for 90 years?!).

Also the detective work was all just internet stuff, which is puzzling to me. This is poo poo that real people, who are mostly still around and working, did. You can call them up. I grant that he does by the end, but those conversations are the interesting stuff. For the first 2/3rds I was constantly wondering why he hadn't just rung up some communications person at Disney and found out who to talk to. Maybe you can't, I don't know, but the research that he did do was like watching somebody do the pre-production research for a proper documentary where you will actually base the story on the interviews with the people who did it rather than base it on replaying and describing clips you and everyone else has access to on youtube.

So I guess it's a couple things: consumption-side media criticism needs more context or it's not criticism, documentary process is more interesting if it involves more than reading a script over screen recordings and instead finds its story through the actual characters, and it's shallow and icky to make a feature length film about corporate branding changes without giving any historical value to them other than an assumed inbuilt nostalgia from the audience. That assumed inbuilt nostalgia thing is where I check out. That's fandom, and that's why to me this guy isn't really a documentarian, if that's something he does aspire to be.

But I did like the end where real people talk about stuff they did. The rest just didn't need to be in the video.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

SRQ posted:

lmao it didn't embed

It's about him tracking the source of the Disney Channel 4 tone theme and using it to tell a heartbreaking tail of the forgotten men and women of creative arts. He also uses it as a venue to be critical of those that minimize others artistic creations for the medium they are presented on. Essentially the antithesis of "the medium is the message".

Also I wanna say I am glad you got that from it, because I totally agree with those points, but I didn't feel like much of it was about this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

I just watched/listened to this thing while walking around. Writing my long winded reaction because I think it's an interesting artifact of youtube documentary and I've got the time. This is not to poo poo on you if you like this kind of stuff BTW, it's just I do work on documentaries sometimes and it's an interesting attempt at an alternative way to make them that I think falls short. It's a sort of reverse-engineering thing for me - why do we make films the way we do and not the way this one was made?

I was gonna be a lot more negative, and I don't think it was worth the running time, though it does end with a nice tribute to a behind the scenes person who deserves a tribute. But I'm walking back the criticisms I had a little because at the end it did make me think about the value of art in a world where to be an artist and live, most people have to navigate some kind of awful commercial hell, and tailor their work to that world. That stuff, and the final 20 minutes are so, are nice and should probably have been the entire project. All the same, there's a reason I don't think it was worth the time and I wouldn't agree it's "revolutionizing investigative documentary film".

There's this knowing joke-undercurrent of this guy feeling undervalued as a documentarian because he's on youtube and he (I guess?) does Disney related content only or something. My reaction to this was, this is correct. Media criticism videos on youtube are great, I've watched plenty that had value. But I think this film underserves its topic. There's like an hour of, basically, "fandom" stuff about this TV channel - history, branding changes, promos, nostalgia hits that the audience might recognize. Stuff that is largely irrelevant to the mystery and the solution to the mystery. I had to keep listening basically out of fascination that fan content this granular finds an audience. It has to be based on an assumption that the only people viewing are hardcore Disney Channel nostalgics who will just love seeing the stuff without much added.

The guy keeps mentioning history, and historical study, as if that's what he's doing, and sure, you could say that. He's finding stuff out. But what's missing that makes it not history, and not "documentary" as he would like it to be, is context and analysis. There's very little critical thought in most of the descriptive stuff - it's just describing a big TV channel and its branding. Branding can be an interesting topic in context but he doesn't look at it critically. He just kinda talks about this channel, and these business forces, that made these artists make these little clips and pieces of music, like God or some inexplicable force of history created it all. That, to me, is what makes most of the runtime of the video "fandom" stuff and not investigation or documentary.

It gets touched on near the end with the woman whose job was re-branding TV channels talking about seeding Disney's commercial interests throughout the interstitial content to manipulate kids. There's a film in that topic alone! At the very least if you're making this story I think you have to position it in history - what's going on in culture at what time that influences these things. You can't just talk about logo redesigns as the main meal. Maybe logo redesigns are interesting positioned in the context of 90s-2000s kids TV programming as a whole or something but a lot of this video was like "check this out" and that's it. If you're so fascinated with TV channel grammar, I'd expect you to have more to say about it analytically. You can't just keep repeating how significant and important this jingle is because it's been on TV for 20 years (especially when you started your film with one that has been going for 90 years?!).

Also the detective work was all just internet stuff, which is puzzling to me. This is poo poo that real people, who are mostly still around and working, did. You can call them up. I grant that he does by the end, but those conversations are the interesting stuff. For the first 2/3rds I was constantly wondering why he hadn't just rung up some communications person at Disney and found out who to talk to. Maybe you can't, I don't know, but the research that he did do was like watching somebody do the pre-production research for a proper documentary where you will actually base the story on the interviews with the people who did it rather than base it on replaying and describing clips you and everyone else has access to on youtube.

So I guess it's a couple things: consumption-side media criticism needs more context or it's not criticism, documentary process is more interesting if it involves more than reading a script over screen recordings and instead finds its story through the actual characters, and it's shallow and icky to make a feature length film about corporate branding changes without giving any historical value to them other than an assumed inbuilt nostalgia from the audience. That assumed inbuilt nostalgia thing is where I check out. That's fandom, and that's why to me this guy isn't really a documentarian, if that's something he does aspire to be.

But I did like the end where real people talk about stuff they did. The rest just didn't need to be in the video.

yeah. i love his multipart series thats basicaly a history of walt and the parks but not directly and he paints a genuinly interesting picture of the dude of a man out of time and while a big tech visionary(in good ways) he was also stupidly paternalistic with the company and the whole thing went to hell when the animation department got to big for him to play father figure, then his lawyer fed him a ton of poo poo about how unions = communism and he lashed out hard and retreated into making the parks out of a sense of control.

like i love his style because its not him just blowing disney nor is he treating him/the company like the great satan, he just lays out the facts and the complexities and lets you put stuff together but he is also super critical when he needs to be. great overall.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 22, 2022

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Reminds me of this recent deep dive into tommy tallaricos taking credit for engineering sounds for vidya that he didn't really do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0twDETh6QaI

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tallarico sucks. When he had a show on G4 he'd give bad reviews to games I liked.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

Reminds me of this recent deep dive into tommy tallaricos taking credit for engineering sounds for vidya that he didn't really do

It was obvious that Tommy Tallarico was full of poo poo but not to this extent

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

super sweet best pal posted:

Tallarico sucks. When he had a show on G4 he'd give bad reviews to games I liked.

All I can remember is the other host always upset over "invisible walls"

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
ball pisspee channel

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Hector Delgado posted:

All I can remember is the other host always upset over "invisible walls"

Never watched G4 and have no idea who that host was but what I can tell you is that he was correct

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I remember Tommy giving Advent Rising a good review and praising the sound...which his company did. And his co-host immediately calling him out.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Last Chance posted:

Pro click thank you!!

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Last Chance posted:

huh, i never knew that was ben burt. thats cool. will watch rest later. also yay gmod shout out.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Video could have been cut down to 20 minutes and would have been better for it. Dude needs an editor.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:hai:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Devils Affricate posted:

Video could have been cut down to 20 minutes and would have been better for it. Dude needs an editor.

It's Hbomberguy, long videos are sort of his thing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Duck and Cover posted:

I think it's important that we devalue artists

AI Art came at the right time to really drive that nail in the coffin.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I actually sneer at videos under 30 minutes on youtube now

MrChrome
Jan 21, 2001
OP, thanks for posting this. I subscribe to Defunctland and saw he had a 90 minute video out. "Ain't nobody got time for that" is what I thought. I've also never watched the Disney Channel.

Just binged the whole thing in one sitting. It was really interesting. The production quality on this is top notch. I do love music and nerd poo poo though.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

SalTheBard posted:

It's Hbomberguy, long videos are sort of his thing.

The best part was this one was meant to just be half an hour or so long and then Tallarico happened.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Last Chance posted:

Oh my God I just finished this. What a loving video O_O

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The creator of Defunctland is named Kevin Perjurer, how do you know he's not full of poo poo!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I sat through it during a work out and it was actually pretty interesting and really well done. I've seen this guys other videos but this was really on another level. It was gross when that old marketing exec was talking about how they came up with a whole bunch of random shows and things about fish before Finding Nemo was out so by the time that the film was announced kids would go "I love fish!" and get hyped up and the exec goes, "No you weren't, we just told you that you were." and says it laid back as hell.

drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

sigher posted:

I sat through it during a work out and it was actually pretty interesting and really well done. I've seen this guys other videos but this was really on another level. It was gross when that old marketing exec was talking about how they came up with a whole bunch of random shows and things about fish before Finding Nemo was out so by the time that the film was announced kids would go "I love fish!" and get hyped up and the exec goes, "No you weren't, we just told you that you were." and says it laid back as hell.

drat.

what if they're doing that right now with something else
ooOoooOoooOoo