Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Whatre you guys cooking for the holidays?

I’m still paranoid about COVID so I’m doing Thanksgiving To Go, where I cook takeout meals for people to pick up off my porch, for a third year in a row. I had 32 signed up in 2020, 18 in 2021 and this year it’s just 9 people lol

Cheap thawed turkeys are gone everywhere today in north LA county, either I get a frozen $35 butterball or Jennie O, or I get a $50 young turkey or a $100 thawed turkey at Gelsons. Thawed butterballs we’re going for $15-20 at Costco a couple days before. I’ve opted to go for chicken thighs and breasts with Thomas Keller’s Ad Hoc brine (easy on the lemons) and roasted instead of fried because I don’t think fried will do well with being refrigerated, picked up off a porch and reheated later

Since I usually cook for friends I always have friends with dietary restrictions which I take on as a challenge. Sometimes vegan, sometimes halal. This year I have a friend who can’t do dairy, acidic, tomatoes, eggplant, beef, pork, casein, spicy, buckwheat, shellfish or large amounts of garlic. I can’t accommodate her on everything but im trying on whatever sides I can.

Spiral cut glazed ham from Costco

Usually I do kenji’s Hasselback gratin, but this year I’m doing roasted baby potatoes

Roasted baby carrots (coated in olive oil, balsamic, and honey)

Kenji’s stuffing waffle (both meat lover and vegan versions)

Candied Asian yellow sweet potatoes

Artesano’s French rolls with no animal products (apparently a lot of breads have whey and other dairy products)

Costco Apple pie (also no animal products, optional whipped cream)

Whatre you guys doing for thanksgiving/christmas?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I managed to snag the turkey and stuffing duty this year from my uncle who has always done it but is getting up there. I'm feeding 20 so I took Kenji's advice and ordered two ~13 pound fresh butterball turkeys to cook in parts, had the butcher break them down for me, and fortified homemade chicken stock w/ the carcasses and some turkey wings, all roasted, plus another pack of chicken feet, for use in the gravy, stuffing e: and collards:

19/20 want oyster stuffing so I'm making a double batch of oyster and a batch of regular :negative:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 24, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/amaditalks/status/1595629085446782977?s=46&t=eUyGbJju3v4U5N1Skd3CSA

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Feeding a dozen people:

886 grams of fried chicken thigh, as hoc brine
1085 grams of fried chicken breast, and hoc brine
630 grams xanthan poultry gravy
2136 grams sugar glazed ham
1274 grams roast baby potatoes
6 stuffing waffles (1 vegan, 5 sausage)
1612 grams candied Korean yams
2 9x9x2 pyrexes of modernist macaroni, broiled tops
577 grams roast baby carrots
Kings Hawaiian rolls
Vegan French dinner rolls
Costco Apple pie

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Lol my sister painted her pumpkin pie. Genius.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
For the second year in a row I deboned the whole turkey, dry brined it for two days and then forgot to take a picture of it after it came out of the oven.

Turned out great though.

Also my favorite side dish, bacon with brussel sprouts.

bigperm fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 25, 2022

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

bigperm posted:

and then forgot to take a picture of it after it came out of the oven.
same, here's my plate though

First time doing the turkey in parts, everyone agreed that whichever part they took was perfect

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
So, this year I was on desserts. We made 3 cookies, and a pie. Then Thanksgiving Eve my kid wakes up with a fever and an ugly cough. One doctor's visit later she has "mild pneumonia" so we stayed in. Last night on the way to pick up her meds I made a quick pitstop at the grocery store, and here's a hastily thrown together Tday dinner for 4.

Turkey breast, Alton Brown's broccoli salad, sweet potato casserole topped 2 ways, cranberry sauce, cranberry fluff, and dressing. Gravy was still on the stove. It was a little scatter shot, with the late shopping and all, but somehow I had it all done at the same time. Sweet potatoes were similar to serious eats adult sweet potato casserole, but microwaved cause I didn't have 3 hours to slow roast or whatever. One side is topped with cashews, a bit of sugar, rum, and ras el hanout. Absolute standout, will make that again. Cranberry fluff was largely winged by memory, but is almost as good as mom's, so a big win. Cranberry sauce was way tart for people that weren't me, but was spiced with cinnamon and star anise and that was really nice. Dressing is generic from online cause I don't really have a recipe on hand and it was dece. On the whole, very pleased. The sweet potatoes were worth making again and everything was above par.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Ad Hoc chicken brine comes through again.

I’ve gotten great results with it on turkey in previous years too

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 25, 2022

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Thanksgiving dinner with my family is on Sunday this year; I'm providing the mains and a dessert--turkey, stuffing, gravy, and pumpkin pie.

Plan is to make stock and bread for the gravy and stuffing tomorrow; pumpkin pie gets made on Saturday and the gravy and stuffing are finished. That just leaves the turkey to roast Sunday morning; an 18-lb "fresh" one to serve five people.

I just roast the bird, no brine or anything. I start it with the back side up at first, then flip it partway through, tenting with foil for the last hour or so of cooking; and of course I baste it periodically with pan drippings. It usually turns out pretty good that way, I've found.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Final product

I think when using foil to-go pans making 9 foods really helps to mentally deal with organizing and portioning them

I think overall this was a carb heavy menu, I might replace one carb with a veg next year, maybe something acidic

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

Final product

I think when using foil to-go pans making 9 foods really helps to mentally deal with organizing and portioning them

I think overall this was a carb heavy menu, I might replace one carb with a veg next year, maybe something acidic

Are those stuffing waffles? Helllllllllll yeah.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

BigHead posted:

Are those stuffing waffles? Helllllllllll yeah.

I even made a vegan version for a couple friends. Always great to be able to blow a vegan friend’s mind

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I made some mushroom stuffing for my sister. :)

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

My parents still pretty much run the Thanksgiving show but I end up carving the turkey every year, and this year I FINALLY convinced my dad to let the turkey finish far enough ahead of time that it could actually rest for like 45 minutes. It came out so much better and I didn't burn the poo poo out of my hands trying to carve the drat thing.

I also bought 4 turkey thighs on sale yesterday and made this with em instead of chicken - also threw some chickpeas in the pan with the potatoes. Came out absolutely perfect and I have the leftover dark meat I never have after thanksgiving :woop:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Gochujang sugar cookies.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7175924156062813486

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

I was on non-salad vegetables for Thanksgiving so I made spanakopita, which was awesome tbh. For Christmas I'm making slightly fewer cookies than usual because I have a 7-month old.

- cherry pistachio white chocolate biscotti
- garam masala cookies
- maple stars
- serious eats gingerbread cutout cookies

...I would normally also make jammy devils, peanut-butter oatmeal cookies, and regular old chocolate chip, but the baby requires attention too.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Christmas menu:
Prime rib w/ jus
Creamed spinach
Potatoes gratin
Salad w/homegrown lettuce
Rolls

My MIL is bringing a few Greek things and we always end up with a last minute jumble for oven time warming up spanakopita, cabbage wraps, etc so rather than letting the final 30 minutes devolve into chaos I kept it simple.

Question: I got my groceries out of the way early since my normally not-freeze-prone area is going to be in a deep freeze right as Christmas chaos really hits the roads. I was planning on letting the roast dry in the fridge wrapped in cheesecloth a la Alton Brown, but it's untrimmed. Should I trim it before I do this, or right before seasoning?

e: just gonna put the whole thing in since I'll have to trim it again regardless

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 22, 2022

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
What are good sides for a roasted leg of pork? I have one to cook for Xmas, but have no idea what sides to make.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Guacamayo posted:

What are good sides for a roasted leg of pork? I have one to cook for Xmas, but have no idea what sides to make.

Kraut or applekraut would be the obvious choices for me, if you or those you're feeding are kraut haters maybe cabbage or brussel sprouts roasted up real good. Sweet potatoes just baked in their skins. NYT Cooking has a recipe for braised kale with smoked paprika, tomato paste and garlic that has gone over well for me.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Guacamayo posted:

I'd personally make some no-knead rolls and have out a variety of mustards, both for the meal itself and for top tier sandwich leftovers. Some collard greens in bacon or some soup beans, maybe, if you wanted to go Extra Porky

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Guacamayo posted:

When I make a pork loin I like to peel and slice up a couple apples and a large onion and cook it all together with a lot of butter until the apples and onion are soft and slightly caramelized. At the last little bit I add in a little mustard.

Goes great with pork.

Pork and a cranberry chutney/sauce also is a great combo.

I would also second a roasted or pan fried Brussels sprouts. Roasted asparagus would be good too.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Guacamayo posted:

This might be too late, but I'd definitely do braised red cabbage with cider, possibly grate some apple in there.

Sprouts with chestnuts (+/- bacon) goes with anything too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
We always do a pork roast for Christmas. The only must imo is applesauce, everything else is just what your family likes. We do stuffing, gravy, smashed potatoes (boiled, smashed, butter poured over, roasted), fresh green beans, some other vegetable (roast carrots/parsnips, peas with parsley butter, mashed squash, etc.), rolls with herb butter, creamed onions, and some years one of those gross opaque green jello-nut salads

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Menu for Christmas To Go 2022:

Pickle brined fried chicken
Momofuku 48 hour ribs
Hasselback potato gratin
Stuffing waffles
Brussels sprouts with bacon
Ginger glazed carrots
Macaroni
Brioche roll
Brownie
Peanut butter cookies

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Made a croque madame for Christmas brunch. Rib roast is in the oven now. I think I've gone a little overboard this year.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Frying up some pickle brined chicken

Next up, searing some Momofuku 48 hour reeibs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Finished a bottle of Kirkland Pinot Grigio while cooking and I have to say California wines > French wines even Costco is better than any French pg I’ve ever had and calling French wines “austere” is just apologetics for “no flavor” come at me

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Christmas To Go assembled

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Got an April 2020 buzz going right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
First time GWS poster, but I had a bourbon and cranberry while eating leftovers and I felt compelled to share what I made for the family yesterday.

I smoked a duck yesterday glazed with honey and orange. The rest of the menu was stuffing, cranberry and pineapple relish, and an amazing sweet kombucha squash casserole. (We also had a ham, but it was precooked :ssh:). Dessert was a pumpkin pie and a pecan pie.

Here's a pic of the duck fresh off the smoker because I'm pretty proud of it.