Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I used to love Bionicle as a kid. I saw they had come out with a movie years ago (four even!), and decided to actually watch it and see how good/bad it was.

It's uh - very mediocre.

I think children would enjoy it; but if you're reading this, unless you still really love Bionicle, it's probably not worth watching.

The music is alright. The sound effects felt pretty good. The voice acting isn't bad, I think. The animation isn't terrible, but you can tell they didn't have a massive budget.
The world-building is fine, if a bit sparse. I like the little Bionicle fish. A lot of the names are unfamiliar and hard to remember, but I didn't feel like it hampered my ability to follow the story.
I hate all the character models though. They based all the characters off the later 2003 versions, the Toa Nuva, which don't look nearly as cool. And then they somehow made them look even worse. They have like weird purple flesh. I would have liked them to just look more like their actual Lego models.

About the plot,
Spoilers:
They wanted to have a reluctant hero story, but somehow they had two reluctant heroes and neither of them really worked well. The main character becomes the new Toa by putting on the mask he has at the very beginning of the movie and I guess it's supposed to be he's gone through some transformation or something and earned that transformation, but he really didn't earn it. Trying to tie everything at the end back to the sports game at the beginning was not fantastically well-done. He heads down to face the main antagonist by himself, but then tells everyone to come join him as soon as he gets there. Why even go alone in the first place?

The antagonist tries to tempt the main character into giving him the McGuffin, but the main character just runs away without the McGuffin and I'm not even sure why he'd be tempted to give it to the antagonist anyway.

Also, his friend dies and everyone doesn't really seem that upset about it. It's as if they knew he was going to be brought back to life anyway. I do appreciate when they use his face as a prop to encourage everyone and then attach his face to the front of a motorbike, which the main character then crashes into a wall.
The main character also dies, but then is brought back to life.
Aside from the fire village being destroyed, there didn't seem to be much consequence to bad things happening or people's sacrifices.

The romance subplot was really forced. It wasn't far into the forefront, but you're left wondering why it was there at all.

One of the main, important guardian characters becomes infected with poison that turns him evil and there's a ton of talk of destroying the guardians' unity, but ultimately none of it matters at all and it is resolved before anything at all happens.

Also two of the main people on the project were named "Shakespeare", which I thought was funny. A Shakespearian work, this is not.

Just a very meh movie. Watch it if you have an hour and a half and really love Bionicle I guess. 3/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU