Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights
Can anyone recommend a (ideally free) tool for securely erasing data? I want to wipe my old HDs from a previous computer build. I hold a number of work files on some of the drives, quite a lot of which is sensitive and which I would not want to risk someone getting their hands on if they reconstruct the data (I'm a family law trial lawyer) and I'd obviously rather not have my family photos able to be recovered. The work stuff has been encrypted with Bitlocker, the photos, etc have not.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Eraser is free and works fine. Should do a single wipe pass by default, which is all you need.

https://eraser.heidi.ie/

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

edit: beaten by a few minutes :laffo:

Bouchehog posted:

Can anyone recommend a (ideally free) tool for securely erasing data? I want to wipe my old HDs from a previous computer build. I hold a number of work files on some of the drives, quite a lot of which is sensitive and which I would not want to risk someone getting their hands on if they reconstruct the data (I'm a family law trial lawyer) and I'd obviously rather not have my family photos able to be recovered. The work stuff has been encrypted with Bitlocker, the photos, etc have not.

Any suggestions?

DBAN should work okay if you want to donate them: https://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/files/dban/dban-2.3.0/

If you want to take it to the next level you'd use a power drill/nail gun etc.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights

Perfect. Thanks both. I went with Eraser, which has been very easy to use.