Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2
The second one

Modern Warfare 2 is a game developed by a whopping 8 studios, primarily Infinity Ward. Despite this massive amount of work, the game has launched with a few rough edges. Do you like amazing core gameplay mired in some of the worst UI you've ever seen? Are you a fan of Hulu? Then you've come to the right place!

:siren: Discords for grouping up!:siren:

Royales with Cheese

Goonzone 2.0

There are three main game modes in this: Multiplayer, DMZ and Warzone 2.0. This post will focus on Multiplayer and the following two posts below will focus on DMZ and Warzone respectively. We don't talk about Single player but there is a truly terrible jingoistic single player campaign if that is your thing.

Multiplayer

Multiplayer is arguably the bread and butter of the franchise, which really launched it into popularity those many years ago. Now it is somewhat overshadowed but its newer sprawling modes, but it is still very popular. Multiplayer has several modes:

Co-op
Did you like single player and couldn't get enough tacti-cool action? Well group up with some friends and take on some small co-op style missions. These can be stealth, or assault type missions. I haven't done much of them so I honestly will add more here in the future if necessary. There is also something called "RAIDS" coming sometime in season 1 which seems co-op adjacent but I'm not entirely sure what its going to be.

6v6
The real meat and potatoes of classic CoD is the 6v6 game mode. With a new "dynamic spawn system" that means you will be spawning extremely close to the action (and sometimes too close, like in someones crosshairs close) it means most maps and modes have a flow to them where you will be fighting all over different areas of each map. Even though the team size is only 6v6 this new spawn system means rounds feel much bigger with more players around every corner. Some people like this new system, some hate it. Spawns definitely need some work IMO. But overall 6v6 is fun and frantic with several game modes there in:

Team Deathmatch - Your team kills more players than the enemy team kills you.
Kill Confirmed - Like team deathmatch but you have to then collect the dog tags and enemy drops. Punishing to snipers who never move.
Free For All - Be the most killingest.
Domination - Three point control style mode. Holding points grants you score and the first team to 200 wins.
Search and Destroy - Counter strike esque: two bombsites, no respawns, one team must plant the bomb while the other defends, then sides flip.
Headquarters - Capture a single control point, once captured the holding team cannot respawn until the attacking team retakes the point. Control points moves randomly around the map.
Hardpoint - Like headquarters except whoever is on the point is awarded points, and both teams constantly respawn. Control point moves around the map in a fixed order.
Prisoner Rescue - Kind of like search and destroy only there are two hostages instead of bomb sites. No respawns however you can revive downed teammates. Extracting one hostage is considered a win.
Knockout - Hold cash. A single bag of cash is on the map and whoever holds it at the end of the round wins. No respawns but reviving downed teammates is again in the game.

Ground war
Massive 32 v 32 team battles with a focus on domination style point capture. These are big open levels with vehicles and tanks. More akin to battlefield than CoD, but can be pretty fun with a solid squad. However it is pure chaos.

Invasion
20 v 20 team battles with AI sprinkled in. There are no objectives other than to outscore the enemy team, and score is acquired through kills, both AI, players and vehicles. It's pretty fun and a chill time since shooting bots is always fun. Good place to grind certain camo challenges as well.

Tier 1
Not really a mode but a variant for 6v6 that reduces player health significantly and removes the hud. Basically a realism or hardcore mode.

Weapons, Tacticals, Perks, Field Upgrades
Coming soon... maybe, there are a lot of guns and weapons in the game, Assault Rifles, Battle Rifles, Shotguns, SMGs, LMGs, Marksman Rifles, Sniper Rifles, Launchers, Shields, Knives, Pistols, Grenades, Drill charges (gently caress yeah). Not sure how I want to tackle all this info so for now just know this:

There are a lot of guns in this game. The unlock system is somewhat convoluted so here is a quick synopsis: As you level your main character from 0 - 55, you will unlock base weapon platforms. Then if you level that weapon, you will unlock other weapons that share that platform. For example: Get to a certain player level and you will get a Kastov 762 (this is basically an AK47), then level the kastov to a certain level and you will unlock the Kastov 545, a similar gun with different stats. More over you can continue to level the 545 to unlock more platforms, eventually even unlocking SMGs. It seems complicated and I'll try to update this post to explain it better in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

DMZ

DMZ is Modern Warfare 2's attempt at a Tarkov-style extraction shooter. It is surprisingly fun, and seems to be a sleeper hit.

The map

Al Mazrah is the shared map for Warzone 2.0 and DMZ. It is a huge sprawling locale featuring cities, ports, quarries, marshlands, airports, and derelict ships. Each area is somewhat unique and fights can be very varied from the chaos of mountain top extractions to the verticality of city fighting.

DMZ features a logical looting system. Need body armor or guns? Find a police station. What a better backpack or plate carrier? Try and find a fire station. That restaurant ahead of you might be chock full of expensive wines and liquors, or those server rooms could be full of electrical components. If you have a goal to get certain items, if you think logcially about it you should be able to find it. That being said you may also occasionally find gold bars in a random house in the desert. Neat.

The AI/Players

There are no duos/solos/trios in DMZ. You can squad with up to three other players but that's it. Solos will be placed in trios lobbies, as will duos. A match can have up to 66 players in it, which sounds like a lot but due to the size of the map you can go entire rounds without seeing anyone else. You can also join up with other squads by requesting to merge your squads. This is risky though and is hard to find another squad who doesn't shoot on site. And with so much risk with dying, it makes sense.

That being said there are also swarms and loads of AI. They are not to be trifled with. They come in three main variants: Normals dudes, soldiers, and Elite soldiers. Normal dudes have no armor and a headshot will always take them down. They can be a threat in numbers but are not that accurate. Soldiers have body armor and can shoot better. Elites have a ton of armor and are laser beams with their weapons. They will seriously mess you up. The AI in this game are actually pretty difficult.

The meta

This game is similar in many ways to tarkov or hunt showdown. You infil with weapons, and items and if you die, its all gone. When you exfil you keep any weapons you have and any items you have are converted to money. Money is then converted to XP and also helps you get insured weapons back faster. Insurance in this game is a slot (you start with one and can unlock two more) that allows you to bring in any weapon you want that you have access to, with any attachments. If you lose this insured weapon in a round, that slot goes on cooldown for two hours, and only extracted cash helps bring down the timer.

Other than items that can be sold, you are able to keep keys, contraband weapons (weapons you found in the mission), bigger backpacks, plate carriers, gasmasks, self revives, and kills streaks. Keys and weapons can be stored for later use but everything else has to be taken into the next round. No more gear fear, you have no choice!

Faction Missions
Coming soon...

FAQ

Q: I have a key but it is "used". Is it worthless?
A: No, keys have three uses total, a used key just means it can only be used one more time. Then it will be destroyed.

Q: I have a key but I don't know where it goes?
A: If you inspect the key in your inventory it will generally give you a description and some set of coordinates to guide you to the general area. If you don't want to have a fun easter egg hunt, just use this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXqjOa5V9B0

Q: Why do I only have one faction available?
A: Complete all tier 1 missions for the first faction unlocks the second. Completing the tier 2 missions for the first and second will unlock the third.

Q: I was at an extract and I called it in but it never came...
A: If the zone is closing (or expanding now) and the radiation area is about to overtake the exfil point, the chopper will no longer come. You can either try and find another one that is further from the radiated zone, or you can do a hostage mission which always guarantees an exfil chopper. OR you can wait for the final chopper which will spawn when all other exfils are unavailable. This one will not leave early when you get on it and can be quite the fight with other players trying to get their last ride out of town.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 24, 2022

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Reserved for Warzone 2.0 - Will update this with lots of Warzone 2.0 info soon

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

DMZ bad BR good

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

codo27 posted:

DMZ bad BR good

DMZ good BR bad.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

codo27 posted:

DMZ bad BR good

Same but the opposite

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
DMZ way more casual and fun than I was expecting. Haven't bought a cod since black ops one, haven't bought this one either but might cuz I like the gameplay feel.

Also game has slower and more grounded movement than BF2042 what's the deal with that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MP good, DMZ good, BR solos bad, BR squads good.

I had a fun rear end game of solo DMZ last night where I exfiled with three new guns and spare self-revives (which apparently just get converted into XP :argh:). At the end I was hiding in a building near the exfil looking at a trio thinking "please don't notice me please don't notice me", and just before the chopper got there, I got a squad invite from them and they let me exfil with them :3:

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Kazinsal posted:

MP good, DMZ good, BR solos bad, BR squads good.

I had a fun rear end game of solo DMZ last night where I exfiled with three new guns and spare self-revives (which apparently just get converted into XP :argh:). At the end I was hiding in a building near the exfil looking at a trio thinking "please don't notice me please don't notice me", and just before the chopper got there, I got a squad invite from them and they let me exfil with them :3:

You can have a squad of more than three?

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
there's already a cod thread that everyone has bookmarked and this OP is literally text on the back of a box lol, I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Reserved for Warzone 2.5 - Will update this with lots of Warzone 2.5 info soon

Gets
Mar 11, 2009
You can repair vehicle tyres even when they're moving.

like & subscribe

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Gas this dumb thread

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Lmao at ignoring tradition and posting an effort OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Game looks cool, probably will play it in 5 to 10 years when its next remake comes out