Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

cirus posted:

Last two days have really sucked identified breakouts which halted up, came just under my sell limit and then immediately got slammed into the ground.

Alerted MGSM this morning which looked like a pump and dump, not going to chase something up that much and then it triples again. Go figure

I saw it was up like 800+% this morning and figured it was a R/S or something. That's nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

ARTPUP posted:

Picked up 1000 more shares of Mereo BioPharma (MREO) @.97/share. Basically Rubric Capital owns around 31 million shares of the company and wants results. Rumours are Mereo turned down buyout options, so Rubric walked into the offices like Tony Soprano holding a baseball bat screaming "Where's my F***ing money!" Rubric stepped in and after the threat of a shareholder vote to remove people from the board of directors, Mereo came to a deal, ensuring Rubric's nominated choices sat on the board. This should be an interesting year for the company... sitting on a good pile of cash with little debt... maybe, maybe...

I played $MREO back when the buyout rumors began and had a nice little run but I didn’t the stock would ever go anywhere again. Mostly, my concern was their pipeline not being all that valuable to a bigger bio (and the Rubric drama) but I also held heavy $GOON bags so what do I know? lol

Funny thing is I saw your post and gave it serious consideration to jump back in - I had a buy order set up when it was at $.83 this morning but didn’t pull the trigger. Oh well, I’m happy for you if this is the run up to a BO :)

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Agronox posted:

There's a pretty interesting situation developing with Manchester United (traded in the US with the ticker MANU). The owners are likely to sell it and have started a bidding process, with initial bids due later today.

https://twitter.com/barronsonline/status/1626521027525189632

If a 5b GBP bid is accepted--this is rumored to be the minimum--it'd put the ADRs around $28 by my back of the envelope math. What gets me more interested though is the prospect of a bidding war, as both the Saudis and Qataris are said to be bidding, in addition to a potential British buyer and as-yet-undisclosed American (who might be Elon Musk, but I doubt it).

Anyway, the main risks seem to be that the Glazer family decides not to sell after all (which I find unlikely given they started this process, hired bankers, and hasn't been too quiet about soliciting interest), bids are inadequate (possible), or public outcry scuttles a deal that involves, say, the Saudis. Another note of caution is that the shares have already doubled in the last three months.

But on the balance of the risks it seems worth taking a flyer on, so I bought some after-hours last night at $26.70. Might add to the position depending on news flow.

This is interesting - thanks for the DD. I picked up a few for fun!

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Agronox posted:

Nothing I can do until Tuesday, so please send some hopium and copium.

Manchester United Begins Sifting Through Numerous Bids for Club

quote:

The English soccer giant received two public offers and several more private proposals to acquire the club from the Glazer family, which has owned it since 2005

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Has anyone else had issues with Fidelity's Active Trader since they moved to the 64-bit version? I get pretty consistent crashes during market open/close when the extended hour prices toggle, as well as occasional random crashes.

The platform has been ok, in general, but I'm leaning towards switching to a different brokerage for my little fun money account. I read the OP, but wouldn't mind if anyone had a recommendation for my relatively simple needs:

• trade stocks (clean/intuitive UI would be nice)
  • infrequent options trading (I keep it simple and only buy calls/puts)
  • easy watch list manipulation
  • decent mobile app. Fidelity's mobile experience isn't all that great, imho
  • bonus: as a personal preference, I would love to have the ability to hover my cursor anywhere over the Y-axis of a chart and have the price float on the trend line as you move across the X-axis. Active Trader only shows the price on the edge of margin of the chart box. It drives me absolutely bonkers

Thank you!

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Thank you all so much for the feedback - I sincerely appreciate it!

In the absence of any responses I was going to try TOS based on the positive comments I’d seen in this thread over the years - nice to see that inclination confirmed. :)

Thanks again!

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Thanks again to everyone who recommended ToS! I opened an account today and got set up on the desktop and mobile apps. They are both very slick and I am looking forward to exploring them further.

One question I couldn’t find a clear answer on is how to see your settled cash balance. Would that technically be ‘Cash Available for Withdrawal’? It was simply called ‘Settled Cash’ at Fidelity. Would like to avoid good faith violations. :)

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Last time I checked it wasn't really possible to run scans on ToS mobile, has that changed? Or it was somethibg like you could run scans that you've already setup on the desktop app or whatever

From what I have seen in my limited experience today it appears to be the latter.

Fireside Nut fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 4, 2023

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Girbot posted:

Yes.

If you're super worried about GFV, you could just apply for margin and not use it.

Thank you! I've never had a problem with GFVs - just prefer to keep it simple with a cash account. :)

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Hadlock posted:

Looks like I may have caught the morning trading knife at $5.58 SOFI curious to see if FDIC news moves it lower

Thanks for the heads-up SoFi earlier today. I am up 28% on my 4/21 6 call I bought. If only I had bought more than one… lol

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

I bought some 4/21 $DWAC and $RUM puts on their big jumps today. Hoping that’s plenty of time for both of them to sell off.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Fireside Nut posted:

I bought some 4/21 $DWAC and $RUM puts on their big jumps today. Hoping that’s plenty of time for both of them to sell off.

Update: both panned out pretty well. Sold the $RUM put after a few days for 66% return and dumped $DWAC today while ITM for a 10% or so.

Next up on my chud plays is $BUD. Considering some commons or calls as the right wing outrage machine will lose interest and go after something else soon enough. I know next to nothing when it comes to TA but my only concern is that $BUD was on a decent uptrend prior to the 'controversy.'

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Baddog posted:

Grats on the DWAC play! I just didn't have the balls to jump into that mess, despite it seeming like a slam dunk.

Thanks! Tbqh, they kept the price up far better than I expected haha

Also, allow me to share this little trading anecdote. On 4/3, $AI had been surging for days without any true catalyst other than Bill Gates and others calling for a pause on advanced AI development or something like that. Figured it had to cool off a bit so I picked up a 4/29 1.35P and set a Limit for 2.10 which I planned to revisit in the coming days.

Well, the next morning an investment firm put out a hit piece on $AI attacking their accounting practices. I was in a meeting that ended at 9:30. I get out of the meeting to see the stock price tanking and rush to cancel my limit but market open hits and the limit is triggered instantly.

Normally, I would never complain about 56% profit, but I had to then watch as the price plummeted and the put soared to the 8.40 range at one point. Brutal. Ah well, such is trading and I probably would have sold much sooner than 8.40 anyways lol

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

mrmcd posted:

Is BUD really taking a 4% haircut for no reason than dumb poo poo right wingers are mad they hired a trans person?

Yes. All of that over a 42 second TikTok video or whatever it was. I tried to pick up calls yesterday but they never filled. Bummer

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Bought a few ENPH calls after the 25% earning call drop on Wednesday. I guess the bottom wasn't in. Getting bodied today. Ouch lol

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Grem posted:

I'm sure everyone is out on this by now but GOON is really going through it.

lol have they still not submitted their de novo app yet? I haven't followed them as closely since I closed my position a few years ago.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

I'm kind of confused about why BUD and TGT are dropping as much as they are with the stupid chud 'boycotts'. Is there really that much selling pressure from what I would imagine to be a small segment of retail shareholders? And/or are bigger shareholders/firms selling based on declines in future ERs? I guess I don't quite understand how the price can be impacted like this.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Subvisual Haze posted:

Last week I actually made good money by selling OTM calls against $BUD across their earnings report. I actually guessed wrong with regard to the direction I thought the price would go, the stock went up after earnings but it went up less than my strike price so I was able to close the calls early after earnings with 70% profit thanks to post-earnings IV crush.

Sorry if these are silly questions but I’ve never traded options beyond simple buying calls/puts. If you sell calls/puts, you can just close them at any time like that? I figured you have to white knuckle it out until the expiration date.

What happens to the contract when you close your position? Does it mean another trader or market maker has purchased the “selling” side of the contract?

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Thanks - appreciate the explanations!

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

ARTPUP posted:

Picked up another 1700 shares of Mereo BioPharma (MREO) @ 1.35. Congrats to those who picked up Canopy (WEED) stock in Aug for a nice return now. Crazy crazy crazy!

I rode the last wave up for a nice little profit. I was hoping it would again drop into the 1.20’s but I don’t think it ever did in the last few weeks. Congrats on the big jump today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Regarding $MREO, I had played a few small swings the last couple years and then had a limit order around 1.2X that missed getting filled last October just as the price took off. I've been hesitant to jump in since the stock kept moving up and eventually nearly tripled. Now that there has been a slight pull back in recent weeks, do you feel like this is a good entry point? Are you still playing the B/O angle on them or what is your end game plan, if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks!