Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I pity the lawyer that works for Microsoft’s AI division

But that said, I agree this is a fairly big shift for them eating into the search market if they do it right. SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT (Nadella)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

India is so reliant on fossil fuels and their population is still so rural that there is no way in the next 2-3 decades they’re even half electric, 25% would be a miracle to me (unless there is a battery revolution that drives cost way way down).

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Nvda is like the one green stock I have. Even Cramer gets it right sometimes

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Cacafuego posted:

Time will tell, really and don’t overlook Apple fanboys/girls. I know several people that are going to buy it sight unseen just because it’s an Apple product. I suspect many others will as well.

At $3500 a pop though, how many of those people can there be?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I’m still a fan of Airbnb. I don’t think it’s a good investment, but I certainly don’t see them fading away either.

Super hosts are quite useful, and I see less falsified listings than on vrbo. Also airbnbs are generally nicer than hotels, especially for longer stays - I am curious how local laws effect the business model, it does seem like they need to be reigned in to stop runaway inflation, especially in most U.S. markets

E: remote work is arguably a strong driver of more stable recurring revenue for long term stays

Ubiquitus fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 30, 2023

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

China announcing export controls on gallium and germanium. I wonder how that hits nvda and other chip makers?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Whoops missed ARM.

Would have definitely gotten in on that

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Someone convince me why intc is a bad long term investment

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Any idea what’s driving the lithium demand downturn? Seems like it should be going up unless some new battery tech suddenly came through

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

The value proposition for investing in a car company is so much more complex than it used to be - charging networks, battery technology, government subsidies, supply networks for chips, etc.

I almost question why I would invest in BYD or Tesla when NVDA is such a sure bet

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I have a pretty spicy take here: Nvidia has a market cap of 1.35T. In the next 4 - 6 years, the use case of 'AI' will prove to be way more limited then what is currently being suggested, and this company that is selling every enterprise card it can 6 months before it's even produced at jacked up prices will all of a sudden find itself with stock to spare. Nvidia is over-valued on the time scale of several years.

I think you’ll see quantum computing revolutionalize science - and we will 100% need AI for that. It’s nowhere close to over.

That said I have no idea about NVDA’s outlook on making quantum chips, but they’d be dumb as hell to not be considering it

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

gay picnic defence posted:

I think the upside is in the supply chain because there's a lot of companies with no prior involvement in the automotive industry that will need to grow substantially from what is still a low base to provide the components (batteries, motors etc) needed for the transition from ICE to EV.

I agree with this, and if there were a battery companies ETF That was based on future prospects I’d turn into Jim Kramer in a heartbeat and be hitting buy everywhere

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Not quite what I meant. I want to invest in private companies researching different battery tech, not supply anything along the lithium supply chain

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I feel like psychedelic therapies are on the verge of a breakout, but I’m not sure where I can invest to support that.

J&J is the only public company I’ve seen with a ketamine drug that’s been approved, but their overall outlook seems pretty meh? And I don’t want to tie myself into the larger portfolio just for one drug.

I was thinking maybe the therapeutic space associated with administering psychedelic therapy, but those are probably all private . . .

loving PE, I need someone to get me in

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Why has BYD fallen so much in the past year? Were they overpriced before?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

DNK posted:

Chinese recession; global recession.

Yeah this is what I was thinking too - since the Chinese government has their hands in everything you’re also betting on the Chinese coming out of recession - and they have a lot of problems right now.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Busy Bee posted:

This wouldn't be a problem if Americans could just use WhatsApp like regular people.

Sure, let’s give our most private messages to a company that clearly doesn’t give two shits about consumer privacy? Apple isn’t perfect, but I’d much rather some security considerations than being the product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Half the things on that list are probably leveraging the end to end encryption, and they'll all move to the next platform if WhatsApp were to suddenly die; I'm not convinced my ad free choice of end to end encrypted chat somehow supports anything on that list

I don’t really want to check the ToS, but I suspect that’s the only real way to figure out what the monetization scheme is. Maybe it is innocuous but I doubt it