Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can someone explain to a dumb person (me) why the Yellow trucking company closed at like $0.71 on Friday, but is trading at $1.76 right this very moment even though they have declared bankruptcy and that they’re going to fire all 30,000 employees? I mean, without any employees how do stock traders expect them to actually do a business?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What does 3x/4x leverage mean

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

drk posted:

Out of curiosity, do any current EVs actually do this? Can you tell your Tesla to only charge when renewable production expected to be high? At least in CA, forecasts are available a day ahead of time, so this should be possible in theory.

My iPhone has an option in the battery settings to prefer charging when clean energy is available. If my iPhone can do this I assume a Tesla can as well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

It’s over 5000

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The junk collector posted:

What the hell is going on with SMCI anyways? Pretty much all the news I remember about them has been a series of scandals, problems, and export violations but their stock is up 5000% from when I last looked at it

ai ai ai ai ai

quote:

In June 2023, Supermicro saw increased demand for its large language model optimized AI systems, featuring NVIDIA chips.[42]

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Gucci Loafers posted:

Absolutely and the next trick is to have Windows OEMs include specific AI-Coprocessors. It has the benefit of allowing them to selling their own custom AI solutions along with the benefit of doing AI/ML on your local device for additional security... and further sync with the Windows/Outlook/XboxLive/etc. eco-system.

So one of the reasons Apple went to their own chips was because they controlled the full hardware and software stack and thus could design custom chips for their poo poo.

Can Microsoft really force Dell and Lenovo etc to add custom chips and stuff? Or would we start seeing more fracturing, kinda like how there's Android and then there's Samsung OS or whatever?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Problem is nobody uses Apple's suite. Maybe the ceo and failsons use it but mostly everyone else is all in on office suite.

Guess I know a few professors who used apple pages.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Heard about it from someone who works at Disney but I think this article summarizes it too:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/disney-goes-offensive-proxy-battle-with-activist-nelson-peltz-2024-02-27/

It sounds like one group of rich dudes want to put their rich buddies on the board, and another group of rich dudes don't want to let those guys put their buddies on the board, and all the people involved are courting individual investors to cast their votes for them.

E: I have no stake in this but that "activist investor Nelson Peltz" guy is on the board of Wendy's who just got attention for that whole surge pricing thing.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 10, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The junk collector posted:

The pitch I've heard is to create an AI streaming service which continually generators an unlimited number of episodes for a personalize show that is tuned to someone's existing watch and like history.

Jokes on them my watch history is like 5 different people because nobody uses the profiles feature properly and just chooses the first one.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Baddog posted:

200mm just to the CEO

But yah, they haven't made any code changes in forever. The moderation is volunteer. Where is all this money going???

Well they have updated the mobile app, and introduced nft avatars.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I think a lot of BWM people think dividends are the road to easy passive income.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't think "cloud gaming" is going to take off. Nvidia and Google have tried, Google has failed and I guess Nvidia has better things to dump money on now.

Games are already making apple and every mobile game developer/publisher a boatload of money. Maybe not as much here in the US, but certainly in other regions. It turns out people don't really want to play AAA games on their phones. They want to play pseudo gambling games with no payouts, as long as the game itself is $0.00 to play.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I was one of those people who would have loved a Stadia because I didn't have a console, not because I couldn't afford one but because I didn't want to buy one since I only wanted to play like 1-2 games at most, but I refused to buy into it because it was made by Google. Google does not inspire long term confidence because they kill everything.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

DJT is officially trading today lol.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

smoobles posted:

First time poster, sorry if this is offtopic but I wasn't sure where else to ask this.

My elderly FOX News addict father (who has memory issues) has paid $7,295 ($3,995 one month, $3,300 the next) to TV investment celebrity Charles Payne's company. He tells me it's for weekly investment advice and some kind of "course". This obviously seems like a horrible idea that I need to intervene on, but I worry it might also be a scam because I've googled the hell out of this and Charles Payne doesn't seem to offer any such service.

I thought I'd ask a bunch of strangers on the Internet if maybe it's time to put my dad in a home and take away his credit cards

There's a new elder care thread that is probably more appropriate. It sounds totally like a scam.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

smoobles posted:

Where's the elder care thread? I definitely need to start learning about options. My sis and I have the ability to take over his entire trust.

Ty for the feedback.

It's stickied:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4057760&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Are the people in this thread basically doing what No Wave is asking about?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

drk posted:

i never followed much of that thread cuz it got to hundreds of pages. did it blow up?

e: this is all over my head so I have no idea what's going on here but money number going down seems bad

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 21, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

trizzNPH posted:

Ah thank you, my apologies i didn't realize that was the specific topic here and that there was a better thread for the question

more fitting for here, should i put all of my savings into microsoft stock on the hopes that they end up purchasing TikTok lolol

Yeah, check out the long term investments/retirement thread to get yourself set up. This thread is for fun money/gambling.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Did they never get FDA approval I take it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

jawbroken posted:

passive income is not just dividend yield, it's also capital appreciation. you can freely sell a fraction at any point

I don't think that matters? The point is that if you had $10,000 invested in a unicorn fund that guaranteed 20% per year, you would make a passive income of $167/month through whatever combination of dividends and selling off stock. At year two you would still have a principal balance of $10,000 because you're drawing income not re-investing.

Consider that the S&P 500 has a historic return of 10% according to the AI that Google has forced into their search page:

And you're getting $83/month per $10,000. At $50,000 you're getting $417/month, but if you're at a point where you've got $50k sitting around for "passive income" (meaning that you draw this income to spend) then I'm guessing that an extra $417/month is equivalent to finding loose change.

Or alternatively, if that $417/month for 50k invested was meaningful to you, you wouldn't be betting it on stock that could just as easily lose 10% in value.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 15, 2024