Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I don't see the volume on the option chain this is a lie.

There's only 55 open going into today and 9 traded today so at most 64. 6400 shares of NVDA is only worth 3million.

Is it over several strikes and dates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Garfu posted:

Perfect time to jump into MARA!!! Obviously the hype and meme already happened. Glad I didn't put much into it lol

MARA is mostly a bitcoin mining operation. They trade with crypto prices.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

pmchem posted:

https://twitter.com/SECGov/status/1744829327294837236?s=20

probably bad for coinbase long term even if they're an exchange for the ETFs? their fee slices will be poo poo

initial green candle in /btc has already retraced

I hate crypto but this is trader news

https://twitter.com/GaryGensler/status/1744833049064288387

well good news then the account was hacked - Elon is very good security

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Baddog posted:

lol. well.... ehhh maybe when it's the best selling vehicle overall.

All of this "bet on EV growth and grid improvements" might come tumbling down in 11 months.... might not be the best time to jump into anything perceived as "green".

How can weed stocks become more worthless?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Or short vol

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

drk posted:

Is Nvidia just a meme play at this point?

Apple had >10x the revenue and >20x the profits as Nvidia last year, so Nvidia would need some pretty insane valuation multiples to catch up to Apple in market cap

NVDA has twice the Price:Earnings of APPL though. Apple has a lot of cash.

what I'm saying is market doesn't really give too much of a poo poo about fundamentals.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

This is all by end of year, so enter some 180DTE spreads in August?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Garfu posted:

heh

edit: question for pmchem or other people that know stuff. So tomorrow, when do I sell my options that expire tomorrow? AMZN is gonna be up a lot. I'm gonna be sitting here at open, do I wait like 5 minutes? A half hour? Waiting too long and they tank right? Despite all the plays I've made this is the first where the earnings were after hours and the options expire the next day.

If you have fomo roll your ITM option to OTM collecting more than you paid to enter. You now have a lotto ticket on it going up more. When FOMO subsides close and collect the rest, let it burn, or keep the roll going if it keeps going.

If you are rolling like 5-10 minutes after open is probably going to be when I'd look.

e: if you keep rolling do keep in mind your PDT trade counter if applicable.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 2, 2024

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Garfu posted:

Yes I know of the "if it's good enough to take a pic of it's ready to sell", which I've done a lot in the past. This isn't a brag post, I genuinely don't know what happens on open tomorrow for 0DTE options that I bought this morning. I know the price will spike but then does it get crushed cause EVERYONE has to sell? That's what I'm asking. I'm gonna sit here watching it regardless, and it's up 60% before earning even happened, so no matter what happens I'm good, was just looking for some advice if anyone had any. I mostly buy LEAPs.

As we approach close it will become closer and closer to the intrinsic value. As there's no time left and they are just 100 shares you paid the stirke price of. So they are worth 100 times the difference in stock price and strike at 4:00 tomorrow.

IV crush mostly happens overnight right here.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Agronox posted:

It can't really be predicted. A hot open may fade, continue building, or meander. If you're totally indifferent, sell ten minutes after the open, because one certainty is that there will still be some time value at 9:40 AM that evaporates by 4:00 PM.

(And you meant ONE day to expiration, not zero, right? Because if you bought 0 dtes this morning...)

Options expire on Fridays in almost all cases. Especially in companies instead of a fund.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Baddog posted:

Lol, you all are gonna laugh - jesus christ, I need to get some more caffeine in me. I was going off some dumbass feed that made it look like earnings was *tonight*! Actually my *entire* feed was "NVDA earnings are here!!!1!" But earnings are actually still a week out, and next weeks puts are uhhh, quite a bit more realistic for the anticipated movement.

Pray for my (this week) 700p's, maybe they will still print tomorrow!

Oof, if you keep making these mistakes maybe think about a broker that shows you were it is for your options plays (This is Tasty Trade, purple line with bell for earnings arrow points to after market)

They also shade the expected move which can also be useful for sanity checks and "this doesn't look right" before coffee.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Baddog posted:

So drat expensive. Was trying to set up a reverse iron condor, because of course it seems ~80% that it'll be either 1500 or 500 in september.

I normally like my butterflies like 7-20 days out so this is probably not great but if you want to cover basically 700+

I tried to get a short butterfly working to get you a credit but I'm getting like 6,000 credit max win 10k, max loss 22k which is way outside budget I feel. Playing with it I'm not sure I like a position for less than 20k and that's too rich for me and like 10x the price you were going for in your example. The broken wing is a touch less than your example but as I said I'm generally doing single options that far out which is completely different. My Butterflies are generally open less than a week.

I think the bet you want is like long 2 ATM short a 500 short a 1200 of whatever is skewed better that day puts or calls. The budget play is pick a side break a wing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

pmchem posted:

i mean with nvidia puts the timing is the hard part, yeah. this article is one in a long line but it's fun if you also look at the dates/content of the 'further reading' links at the bottom:

FT Alphaville Nvidia
Nvidia is nuts, when’s the crash?
https://www.ft.com/content/0cffec6e-ede8-4513-93b1-bb45f03e6595

Your going to have to quote what you want it needs a subscription.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Femtosecond posted:

So yea to me it seems like the primary disruption is in spaces that are low value to begin with. In aggregate is it something or does a higher value space need to be disrupted for this stock price to be worth it?

Don't forget many of these newer AI are more efficient and produce not just better results but with less power. They are buying more videocards because demand is going up for their product not that their product demands more power.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Watch it sell off and open flat

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

MeatRocket8 posted:

How do you guys feel about SMCI? Sold it at the start of the session, and it looks like that was too premature.

Meme bullshit on the level of GME and it's not done but when it is done it will be fast and leave many bloodied.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

UnfurledSails posted:

Unlike GME SMCI is a profitable company that makes things. I'm happy riding the current momentum and won't sell until the craze dies off and stays dead for several months.

So is / was CISCO have you checked their chart going back to 2000 when they were at their All time high they still haven't matched?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

xgalaxy posted:

Decent video on some recent talk around here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDrpehxDjIA

I haven't watched anything from Tasty in over a year, I remember not really jiving with Tom's trading strategy but he does seem to understand market mechanics from what I remember should have time to watch at lunch thanks.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Does this mean my 2AM order will be cheaper? No? well this is stupid then.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

But theta is the price you pay per day to keep the position open (or get paid if you are short).What matters more is implied volatility and expected move for how an option will be priced when it moves. Theta assumes the stock stays the same price, theta will change also as the stock moves!

The real winners in options are the sellers, you can use them for leverage but what you are actually doing is betting the seller didn't price it right not that the stock moves! It's possible to be right but the options are just overpriced. TastyTrade has this thing called IVR (Implied Volatile ranking) it's the percentile for that stock's IV for a rolling year. Their rule they recommend is do not buy if it's over 15, that's sell option land if it's above 15. NVDA is currently 50.

You can even chart it with NVDA.IRV on tastytrade (you can't do this elsewhere that I know of it's their special sauce) -4h candles YTD IVR on NVDA

NVDA is primed to go up, but that looks like options are probably priced fairly.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

pmchem posted:

it's dumb as hell. if they are loving up my keyboard (again) they better be providing a copy of MS Flight Simulator and a joystick with every copilot keyboard

Going to just remap it with AHK back to alt. I use right alt for control alt delete one handed. You can pry that from my cold dead hands.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

oh I'm thinking personal devices, and honestly I'd rather engage the AI with a more traditional button as many programs will have AI this would be like having a dedicated button for "file" "edit" and so on instead of F1-F12 just make F13 standard and default map it to AI in programs.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

ranbo das posted:

Just to clarify they're looking to sell $750m of stock at a near $7b valuation, and also there is no insider lockup period. This should tank hard when it IPOs but then again, the reddit user base is supremely stupid and managed to pump Gamestop stock to this day.

I kind of expect it to be similar to Robin $HOOD IPO, RH wasn't well liked, and much of reddit doesn't exactly like the current direction Reddit is being taken to prepare for IPO.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Yeah, I kinda expect the Robinhood curve. Unless they are just hilarious, I'm going to probably buy a pile of puts against reddit a day or two after IPO.

Usually takes a few weeks for options to show up. You'll likely only have the undefined risk of a naked short.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I saw it's rise and balance sheet and basically said, 'Oh, easy money, right here!'

And so did everyone else at the same time.

I've never in my life ever seen contract premiums like this before. That's the most obvious pump n dump there ever was.

could always sell a strangle to short the implied volatility. If you don't know how to manage that this is not a good place to learn.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

lmfao is that a $47 premium on a $69 stock? I could probably get a 6 months option on SPX for less than that

Sell the call and the put, you get $56 both sides you profit as long as it stays above $2.5 (you sell early when IV starts to collapse) and are basically protected to 116 before you start losing money, remember though if it does take a ride to 200 or 400-500 you are going to have assignment risk and may need to manage that. Very easy point to panic and eat the loss. The theory is it's going to meme but be dead in 6 months because Trump will loot the stock value market slamming his shares, or people finally realize the site isn't worth anything.

Market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent but come on just roll for another $160 credit if that happens (will probably not be $160 if the strikes are actually challenged)

*I do not have a position here because I don't have the 15-20k buying power I'd need to earmark to do this comfortably.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Crankit posted:

How did you guys learn about trading strategies and such, every so often I see people saying they will do a strangle straddle or some other thing and I'm not able to follow.

Someone pointed me at TastyTrade (formerly TastyWorks) which has a nice interface where you can just say I want to open a strangle and it will kind of auto fill and let you play with it and see the expected P/L if you are happy with it you route the order. The staff also post all their trades and you can copy them if you want examples of well trades that should turn a profit on average. They also have live shows during market hours, more importantly that all gets recorded and uploaded on their site in nice videos so you can learn anytime. You can watch their videos without a portfolio with them but if you are serious about options I think you probably want to at least consider moving to them for learning (they'll let you write calls with as little as 2k a few years ago not sure if it's gone up).

Do be careful just blindly pressing duplicate trade, but often you can get the logic behind the trade if you go browse whatever show that person runs they normally have discussed it that day or even opened the trade live. It's more nice to press duplicate trade look at the structure and go oh that's what it should look like before opening I need to wait for better prices!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

lurksion posted:

He did eventually backtest it (or a variant) back to the 50s
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4426381#p4426381

It survived, but it was basically flat until the late 80s and took until the 2010s to overtake

Flat isn't bad it means you don't have crazy draw down if it stops working you just stop making money.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

Why do I care that "John R." bought $F at $11.50

Need a broker that lets you join groups that list this stuff so we can have a goon group and see what everyone is buying. That'd be fun. General public not so much, I barely find Tasty Trade's orders that they share each day. I mean sometimes it gets a new ticker on my radar but mostly I laugh at how terrible Tom is at shorting memes with short calls. (He seems pretty okay at earnings)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

saintonan posted:

I strongly advise against making investment decisions based on degen poo poo some other goon is doing.

I am that degen poo poo

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

drk posted:

A $50k investment isnt going to give you a useful amount of income. Right now it would get you about $700/year invested in VTSAX. Even $1m invested is only $13.4k/year.

Really, passive income is not necessarily a good goal for investing. Most people have only ever had wage income, so in their minds, being able to replace the income from working with income from investments means they can work less, spend more, or some day retire. But chasing income means you may miss out on growth, or you may be gaining wealth in a tax inefficient way.

VTSAX is a great investment, but not because of the level of income it will afford you.

SGOV is paying 5% a year with monthly payments and it's based on Treasury note value it's not going to blow up in your face. that 50k is making $2,500/year which is useful it's not retirement but that should cover like your booze or weed or something.
SGOV is like not where most of your money should be but it's where it should be over a bank account.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

trizzNPH posted:

so what is a good mindset/goal for investing, I suppose is my new question? i'm salaried just kinda getting my footing in more complicated finances like this later than id like to admit (27 yrs old). not in a position to lump any significant capital anywhere investment wise right now, but do have interest in getting to grips with fundamentals of the process and how to better think of this stuff cause right now it feels lightyears away from me in terms of understanding

Best place to start is just dumping anything you don't need to touch for 10+ years into VTI (ETF version of that VTSAX mutual fund, it's identical but you can move in and out quicker, both are managed by Vanguard and total market funds). Basically they buy and sell stocks with your money in a ratio that matches the market and you profit.

For anything you need soon currently SGOV is the goon favorite to park money, it's 0-3 month Treasury bills. That is it buys 3 month treasury bills from the US Government and collects the payments and you get them! SGOV should be basically impossible to end up with less than you started with unless you really try by timing some gap same day, or panic on the divex date (the day you get counted as a holder and the stock goes down the value of the dividend) you get paid this about a week later as cash.

That's the best place to start long the market with a cash sweep of some kind setup. At some point Tbills wont pay as much and SGOV wont be losing money but it wont really be making any either and it will be time to move on. VTI being a just play the market will likely never need to be changed.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

trizzNPH posted:

Ah thank you, my apologies i didn't realize that was the specific topic here and that there was a better thread for the question

more fitting for here, should i put all of my savings into microsoft stock on the hopes that they end up purchasing TikTok lolol

People post like that, the ones making money on this stuff are talking about shorting vol and strangles to profit from movements in implied volatility of single named stocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I made a profit on NDRA, did I take your money? I'm sorry. I was trying to take reddit money.