Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Why am I only now reading these books?! Lacking a consistent group of mates to play D&D with I decided to get my fantasy fix by reading the Legend of Drizzt Series in chronological order. Holy poo poo I wish I'd found these books when I was a teenager. As a thirty six year old man I'm absolutely loving the thrills they contain.

I've read the Dark Elf trilogy and the Icewind Dale trilogy, and have just started The Legacy. Some books are better than others, but all are packed with nerdy poo poo that the D&D lover in my can't get enough of.

So I'm asking: do these books continue to be as good as the early ones are? The whole world R. A. Salvatore has woven has me hooked. Drizzt is a fantastic character; deep and sympathetic, as well as (sometimes unacceptably) badass. Tell me the rest of the books are this good! Please.

"The Legend of Drizzt is a series of fantasy novels by R. A. Salvatore that began in 1988, and consists of 38 books as of August 9, 2022. They are based in the Forgotten Realms setting in the dimension of Abeir-Toril on the continent Faerûn in the popular D&D universe. It combines the series The Dark Elf Trilogy, The Icewind Dale Trilogy, Legacy of the Drow, Paths of Darkness, The Hunter's Blades Trilogy, and other sets into an abridged compilation. Drizzt Do'Urden is the main character of most of the books."

Prole fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Prole posted:

Why am I only now reading these books?! Lacking a consistent group of mates to play D&D with I decided to get my fantasy fix by reading the Legend of Drizzt Series in chronological order. Holy poo poo I wish I'd found these books when I was a teenager. As a thirty six year old man I'm absolutely loving the thrills they contain.

I've read the Dark Elf trilogy and the Icewind Dale trilogy, and have just started The Legacy. Some books are better than others, but all are packed with nerdy poo poo that the D&D lover in my can't get enough of.

So I'm asking: do these books continue to be as good as the early ones are? The whole world R. A. Salvatore has woven has me hooked. Drizzt is a fantastic character; deep and sympathetic, as well as (sometimes unacceptably) badass. Tell me the rest of the books are this good! Please.

"The Legend of Drizzt is a series of fantasy novels by R. A. Salvatore that began in 1988, and consists of 38 books as of August 9, 2022. They are based in the Forgotten Realms setting in the dimension of Abeir-Toril on the continent Faerûn in the popular D&D universe. It combines the series The Dark Elf Trilogy, The Icewind Dale Trilogy, Legacy of the Drow, Paths of Darkness, The Hunter's Blades Trilogy, and other sets into an abridged compilation. Drizzt Do'Urden is the main character of most of the books."

38 books. Wow. I knew it was pretty big but not that big.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Everyone posted:

38 books. Wow. I knew it was pretty big but not that big.

Some are YA, I believe. Some are stories featuring the character but not about him. But yeah, best part of 30yrs worth of novels. I'm on No7 lmao

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I got pretty far into these 20+ years ago.

Let me look... I got to 17?! :shepicide:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
This is a lot to bite off, but I tend to feel better about life when I continue to habitually read. Right now I'm beginning the Stormlight Archive series, but this might make the menu. Is it humorous or try hard fantasy?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Cannon_Fodder posted:

This is a lot to bite off, but I tend to feel better about life when I continue to habitually read. Right now I'm beginning the Stormlight Archive series, but this might make the menu. Is it humorous or try hard fantasy?

It's...faithfully D&D? Pretty straightforward fantasy fare, all things considered

There's humor, horror, whimsy, heroism, sacrifices, and lots of areas where you can tell RA Salvatore got some good dice rolls because he'll spend ten paragraphs telling you about a cool swordfight while everyone else gets "and then s/he hit them really hard"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I tried re-reading them recently but started with the prequel trilogy... Which he wrote like two decades later. The drop in quality of writing was so huge that I had to dnf the 'first' book. Maybe I'll get back around to it when I need some stuff to read quickly, or maybe not.

When does the writing get better?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I went and read all of these for some reason, and there's some real highs-and-lows in it. The entire span from (book 19-27, but especially 23-27)the Companions' deaths through their rebirth was just a loving slog. It got better again though, and I think from Homecoming (Archmage, book 31) onward have been the best of the series.

There's just a lot of chaff to get there! It's fun fantasy shlock though.

e; Fixing a lot of book numbers since they blur together and I don't want to spoil

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 14, 2023

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I devoured these books when I was a teenager, again and again. I stopped at book 10. It was a nice enough ending, but the spark had left.

Are the books afterward any good?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

lifg posted:

I devoured these books when I was a teenager, again and again. I stopped at book 10. It was a nice enough ending, but the spark had left.

Are the books afterward any good?

I liked them enough as a casual read

Artemis and Jarlaxle are pretty fun characters that steal the scene whenever they crop up, and they usually get a lot to do

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I can't get over how many of those books there are now.

Book 39 :psyduck: out in August.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Prole posted:

I've read the first 2 a few times and don't remember if I've read the legacy.

I enjoyed them more when I was younger than upon reread.

Parts that I particularly enjoyed
minor spoilers
creature names
mind flayers and Basilisks

I think I loaned my books to my brother, need to get them back for a re read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I just remembered, the other reason I stopped reading it was that I looking forward to Salvatore bringing back Zacknafien (I’m not looking up the spelling) and instead he brought back Wulfgar and my moody teenage self was too disappointed to continue.