Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Thinking to order Dominos for delivery tonight since I have a sinus infection and it’s raining. Got my order together and :eyepop: at that $4.49 delivery fee, which they state clearly is not a tip for the driver. I won’t do it!

Having worked as a driver before, they say it’s to “insure the drivers” but lmao at the idea that the company is paying for driver insurance. If they’re using it for any insurance it’s to insure the company against the drivers.

We all know the delivery fees exist only to extract more money from the consumer. What are some of the more egregious cases you’ve seen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i wonder what that's like nowadays since the fees are so high. when i delivered for marco's i split the fee with the store 50-50 plus tips

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Chief McHeath posted:

Thinking to order Dominos for delivery tonight since I have a sinus infection and it’s raining. Got my order together and :eyepop: at that $4.49 delivery fee, which they state clearly is not a tip for the driver. I won’t do it!

Having worked as a driver before, they say it’s to “insure the drivers” but lmao at the idea that the company is paying for driver insurance. If they’re using it for any insurance it’s to insure the company against the drivers.

We all know the delivery fees exist only to extract more money from the consumer. What are some of the more egregious cases you’ve seen?

I clicked on the thread title thinking "I've got some things to say about that!" then you pretty much most of it, from a drivers perspective. What they charge in fees, that the driver doesn't get, then pay them server wages (less then minimum) drivers are basically free labor that wash dishes, clean stuff, and make food half the time. Ahd yeah, they aren't really "insuring the driver", they wouldn't pay for any damage done to the drivers vehicle even if they were not at fault, all they would do is cover any damage to someone else that the drivers insurance doesn't already cover.

Stiffing the driver, especially with crazy high gas prices, and putting miles wear and tear on their personal vehicle while providing a convenient service because "I already paid a delivery fee" that they never see is the worst. More places should be upfront about the delivery fee not being a tip, and that it doesn't go to the drivers.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i basically destroyed an entire good car at marco's, yeah. at least the deliveries made up for it. after that i did a week at a local place and averaged one delivery a day which just made me basically an employee pounding dough for $8.50/hr in 2019. we had agreed on $9/hr at hire and they didn't even pay that when i got my first and last paycheck. $20 wasn't enough to fight, so gently caress 'em

----------------

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
From an even other perspective, I was considering a opening a food business at one point, but Deliveroo take 30% and additionally used to (still have?) a restriction that you couldn’t charge a different price in your physical location, which I found so incredibly restrictive I abandoned the idea.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Torquemada posted:

From an even other perspective, I was considering a opening a food business at one point, but Deliveroo take 30% and additionally used to (still have?) a restriction that you couldn’t charge a different price in your physical location, which I found so incredibly restrictive I abandoned the idea.

lol good gently caress you

----------------

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wait, no, no, disregard my previous comment. what was your intended pay and what was the average rent in your most-local political area?

----------------

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
What’s this guy’s problem?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

i say swears online posted:

lol good gently caress you

Actually I looked at your rap sheet and realised I’d accidentally replied to someone beneath contempt, apologies for giving you the impression we were going to have a conversation!

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
i bought a hybrid car so that i'd spend less on gas for all the driving i do to continue getting carry-out because gently caress delivery fees

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Chief McHeath posted:

They for a short stint also charged an extra $1 per pie on their $5.99 deal. They seemingly have stopped doing that and now pick up pizzas are the same $6.99.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Torquemada posted:

Actually I looked at your rap sheet and realised I’d accidentally replied to someone beneath contempt, apologies for giving you the impression we were going to have a conversation!

what was going to be your starting pay before you abandoned the idea for profitability concerns? I gave my whole car to my last delivery place

edit: oh i actually didn't know what deliveroo is until i looked it up! you wanted contract labor instead of employees

----------------

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 27, 2022

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I have been stuck at home for personal reasons (look forward to the e/n thread when that happens) so i haven't been really able to go out that often, to eat or shop so doordash/instacart have been real life-savers for me.

But I also know that certain places do "price hikes" on certain things, and my point of reference is the bodega classic - arizona iced tea.

Besides it's taste, and cool can, Arizona typically costs 99 cents, so what i like to do is use that as the point-of-reference to see where can i buy it and how much they resell it for ($1.09? $1.29? one place listed it as $1.99)

I learned the hard way how that could dent your wallet, and it makes sense if these apps take a cut off the profits of these items/restaurants.

But for me, I am more-so upset about the delivery driver, who has to go in, buy these items, or go in and wait for 20 minutes as they finish up, then drive up a hill or fight off traffic just to get here.

So, deeply apology, person who has to drive about 9 miles to fetch me a couple jamba juice smoothies, i know gas prices are more than the smoothies themselves, but mentally, you've done me a solid.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
there's a thai place in town that offers delivery, but they tack on a $10 charge for it

(i've paid it. it's good thai food and i refuse to use apps)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Last time I ordered Pizza Hut a few weeks ago it was delivered by doordash rather than an official, uniformed, Pizza Hut driver and I was pissed because I don’t think I agreed to that and it took twice as long as usual and my driver was allegedly Brittany but I am p sure the dude who delivered my pizza was not named Brittany!! I don’t want some random bozo delivery my ‘za!!

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I just go pick it up these days.. the fees double the price sometimes after a proper tip.

A rare thing when I've had some beers and I skipped dinner but I got no food and I don't want to drive with alcohol in me.

It's so expensive it never really happens anymore I plan ahead lol.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Last time I ordered Pizza Hut a few weeks ago it was delivered by doordash rather than an official, uniformed, Pizza Hut driver and I was pissed because I don’t think I agreed to that and it took twice as long as usual and my driver was allegedly Brittany but I am p sure the dude who delivered my pizza was not named Brittany!! I don’t want some random bozo delivery my ‘za!!

For some reason there is a lot of door dash different name/profile pic which is weird because you decide your tip before you even know who your driver is so I don't know the point.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
All the delivery fees went up here. My wife wanted a Jersey Mikes sub, and it came to something like $28 with an hour wait. Nope.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

A lot of places that traditionally did their own delivery have started doing this because anyone that wants to drive all day can just go doordash and not have to worry about sidework or showing up on time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

as a pizza delivery driver it really sucked doing dishes in back until the next order came in

----------------

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I will say "double dash" is a good deal because there are not extra fees, you get that second item with just its cost + tip and it's always something I wouldn't ever get delivery on its own, like boba, fancy lemonade or ice cream.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Caseys quit doing in-house delivery because they couldn't 'afford' paying us our normal pay rate on top of fees and charges. They absolutely could have if they didn't focus so much on buying out other companies.

Doordash also charges a fee for having a 'small order' now.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cj5wxsig8L2/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That sandwich does look good tho