Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Japan v Costa Rica kicks off in an hour or so, Costa Rica will be wanting to concede fewer than 7 goals and maybe score some.

Also today old slow rear end Belgium are playing Morocco, Canada could do with a win against Croatia and Germany 100% need something out of their game against Spain or their tournament could be over already.

My picks:
Japan
Morocco
Canada
Germany because we can't have fun things at this cursed world cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Good picks op I hope all those teams win too

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

stab posted:

Current CONCACAF performance

6 games played

0 wins
3 draws
3 losses

1 GF
11 GA

utter shite more like CONCACRAP

3 points out of a possible 18

Whenever you want to start to contributing you bagged milk drinking goof

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
It's anime vs, erm 1 sec

Costa Rica´s main exports are electronic components (18 percent of total exports),

Anime vs electronic components

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
ganbatte brave nippon

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

sebzilla posted:

Good picks op I hope all those teams win too

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Can we get through all the usual jokes before they start playing

Japanese steel Folded 1000 times, slices clean through defense

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

ganbatte brave nippon

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hoping Japan score a good goal so I can post wee a boo son again because I don't think that joke got the attention it deserves the first time around

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Mostly agree w/ op but hope Germany get spanked because i REALLY love watching them lose and their fans pretending like they don’t care

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Germany going home today

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Mostly agree w/ op but hope Germany get spanked because i REALLY love watching them lose and their fans pretending like they don’t care

Yeah, but at the same time Spain is almost Argentina tier in how bad they are to watch.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Excited for Japan, Morocco, Canada, and Spain to reign victorious today.

I'd be alright with Germany winning, too, though.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Refs

Japan Costa Rica
Referee: Michael OLIVER (ENG)
VAR: Jerome Brisard (FRA)

Probably the ref the board knows the best. I think the biggest question here is going to be “Can Oliver work with a non English VAR?” England, at times, seems to do their own special version of VAR that no one else does.

Belgium Morocco
Referee: Cesar RAMOS (MEX)
VAR: Fernando Guerrero (MEX)

Ramos and Guerrero work again after Denmark Tunisia and has the same VAR. I think this means that the one handball shout they didn’t send to VAR plus going over to VAR for the other handball shout but deciding to go with the free kick coming out was regarded well by FIFA.

Croatia Canada
Referee: Andres MATONTE (URU)
VAR: Mauro Vigliano (ARG)

Leodan González (URU) was the VAR in England Iran but finds himself AVAR1 even though his fellow countryman is working this game. I think we can read into the tea leaves that either FIFA weren’t happy about the lack of send down at the beginning of them game, weren’t happy about the send down at the end of the game, or (probably) both. Matonte himself is someone I’m not super familiar with, but he is a relative newbie to the international stage. Only two WCQ matches and one international friendly I could find. Hopefully this goes well!

Spain Germany
Referee: Danny MAKKELIE (NED)
VAR: Pol van Boekel (NED)

Makkelie will also be very familiar to the board. He had the Euro 2020 round of 16 match between England and Germany and the semi final between England and Denmark. He also did Turkey Italy and Finland Russia in the group stages. He was a VAR at the last World Cup. It also looks like on his red card that he has a little picture of himself, so that’s kind of funny. He’s considered one of UEFA’s top guys, which makes sense for a match like this.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Can we get through all the usual jokes before they start playing

someone post the ronaldo picture

the good part is that i can say this about either ronaldo and it holds true

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
As funny as it would be for the Germans to go straight home I just can’t bring myself to support Spain

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Japan gonna win

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Nippon.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Loving that Japanese flag tifo

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
have the bowling pin dudes shown up yet at qatar

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

As funny as it would be for the Germans to go straight home I just can’t bring myself to support Spain

germany could win today and then costa rica beat them 9-0

japanarica advance

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

drat japan came out swinging

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
I want a lot of sick goals today

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Phil Leotardo looking manager

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
there they fuckin are!!!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Go Japan Go!

Also please Germany defeat those loving Iberian bastards!

Please Morocco if you dont win the only hope for arabs is the Saudis and we are truly doomed in that case I know you guys speak weird just do this for the team we cant let the spanish hog all the spicy food in this world cup.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

what are these japanese fans dressed as? soccer balls?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Just claim Gavi and you’re fine

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

How has there not been a goal yet? I was hoping Japan were going to try and win 8-nil to one up Spain, but I guess not.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

this is my japan fight song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cepXLReu1aU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

That's very naughty. Almost VAR food, that.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Thorough tackle there, dragged his studs across the whole foot for full coverage

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Softest yellow ever

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Nice dive

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sorry what yellow

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
Rumor on the street is that Qatar paid off Keylor Navas and friends to lose against spain because Qatar doesn't want Germany making it out of the group.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Al-Saqr posted:

Go Japan Go!

Also please Germany defeat those loving Iberian bastards!

Please Morocco if you dont win the only hope for arabs is the Saudis and we are truly doomed in that case I know you guys speak weird just do this for the team we cant let the spanish hog all the spicy food in this world cup.

Did they rename it the brown sea yet

Alt: the Poorsian gulf

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
this match has been dogshit so far

hardly surprising it's being played at the Inda-Bin Ali stadium

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

That first half was dreadful japan really needs to get their act together.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Did they rename it the brown sea yet

Alt: the Poorsian gulf

Arabs call it the Failrabian Gulf

Iranians call it the Poopersian Gulf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
The commentators seem to believe that Japan will be swinging in the second half, young team, etc. I hope we get a fight, and Japan are victorious in both fight and game.