Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Refs

Japan Costa Rica
Referee: Michael OLIVER (ENG)
VAR: Jerome Brisard (FRA)

Probably the ref the board knows the best. I think the biggest question here is going to be “Can Oliver work with a non English VAR?” England, at times, seems to do their own special version of VAR that no one else does.

Belgium Morocco
Referee: Cesar RAMOS (MEX)
VAR: Fernando Guerrero (MEX)

Ramos and Guerrero work again after Denmark Tunisia and has the same VAR. I think this means that the one handball shout they didn’t send to VAR plus going over to VAR for the other handball shout but deciding to go with the free kick coming out was regarded well by FIFA.

Croatia Canada
Referee: Andres MATONTE (URU)
VAR: Mauro Vigliano (ARG)

Leodan González (URU) was the VAR in England Iran but finds himself AVAR1 even though his fellow countryman is working this game. I think we can read into the tea leaves that either FIFA weren’t happy about the lack of send down at the beginning of them game, weren’t happy about the send down at the end of the game, or (probably) both. Matonte himself is someone I’m not super familiar with, but he is a relative newbie to the international stage. Only two WCQ matches and one international friendly I could find. Hopefully this goes well!

Spain Germany
Referee: Danny MAKKELIE (NED)
VAR: Pol van Boekel (NED)

Makkelie will also be very familiar to the board. He had the Euro 2020 round of 16 match between England and Germany and the semi final between England and Denmark. He also did Turkey Italy and Finland Russia in the group stages. He was a VAR at the last World Cup. It also looks like on his red card that he has a little picture of himself, so that’s kind of funny. He’s considered one of UEFA’s top guys, which makes sense for a match like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

They don't normally send the to the screen for offside?

Not watching because my kid is demanding we watch Badanamu instead, but my guess is that the VAR probably instructed Ramos that the player was interfering and since that’s a subjective opinion rather than just being objective like offside position that Ramos wanted to take a look himself to make sure he agreed

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Dango Bango posted:

Why was Courtois so far off his line there?

A better question imo

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

This game needs a goal imo