Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Develop some male pattern balding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

4000 dollar guitar that i will play bad pentatonic licks on

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
Oh yeah I’m gonna start dressing like current 18 year olds and start using tik tok too. And yeah go from zero tattoos to totally covered in 1 month

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Chinatown posted:

Big midlife crisis tibbies.

Same but they’re mine from being fat

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Gonna join the center party and go hard into municipal politics

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Icochet posted:

Gonna join the center party and go hard into municipal politics

Definitely could tell I was hitting a crisis point when I started looking into library board of director openings. Dark times

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I'm 42 and decided to get my bachelors degree but I had to quit my grunge band with a bunch of gen xers, so doing ok I guess

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
There will be no great purchase of a sports car, no homewrecking, divorce-inducing chase after a girl young enough to be my daughter. I’ve had severe clinical depression since I was like 14; there were never any great pussy-slaying salad days of yore to attempt to return to. When you’re 18, that’s a curse. When you’re pushing 40, it’s a blessing, because you know exactly what you bring to the table (not much) and as such will never be “that guy” at a bar, or on an app, or whatever.

Closest thing to a Porsche for me is a vintage Japanese arcade cabinet I bought at the height of the pandemic. (The cabinet in question came out in 1993, and the fact that 1993 is now vintage, is depressing in itself).

One weird thing about getting old though is you do start to have a real sense of being transient and that loving sucks - Example: People talk about celebrities and you have no idea who they are, or if you do, you don’t get why you should give a gently caress, whereas when you are young, pop culture knowledge is almost inexorable from building a personality.

Aside from games I’ve lost any real understanding of pop culture, especially music. Social media just amplifies the degree to which I’m old and hosed, the only bitter solace being that Gen Z is going to experience the same sinking sensation of shrinking relevance when they log in on Gen A’s neurolink matrix holodeck system (which will still be used primarily for tithing to attractive people just for existing).

The hardest thing though is realizing that your dreams aren’t going to happen. Like, I have a better life and partner than I have any right to expect. I’m well educated and work in a field where I get to help people instead of just pushing papers around. I’m underpaid but what I do now is legitimately an end goal in itself for lots of people. But I still feel like a dismal failure at least several times a week because after years of effort I came within spitting distance to a minor level of success in a creative field like 15 years ago and had it snatched from me by a lawsuit by people with more money than god. I’ve seen people associated with that project go on to have decent levels of success and it kills me that my sadbrain just caused me to fall into a dream ending rut after such a major setback.

I guess at some point you really start to feel like you’re slipping away instead of emerging. Some people react to this by desperately clinging to scraps of faded youth, others just kind of fall into a gradual silent despair. I’m more the second option and it sucks.

TLDR; Ferrari and hot blonde, ala Outrun.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My Ferrari is made out of Legos

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I'll rent a sex doll for like a week

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

you can easily avoid a midlife crisis by just doing the things you like right away, as soon as you become an adult, and continuing to do things as it takes your fancy as you age

naem
May 29, 2011

not being an age that gets portrayed a lot, like in media, doesn’t make you like, a bad person

just do some things that are nice and enjoy them?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Gonna take up nude rock climbing, nude sky diving, maybe even nude surfing.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

you can easily avoid a midlife crisis by just doing the things you like right away, as soon as you become an adult, and continuing to do things as it takes your fancy as you age

Living your whole life to the fullest? In THIS economy?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

increasingly weird sex

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

actually forget my previous tattoo idea I’m gonna get a really obvious bad boob job even though I’m a dude and I’ll change nothing else

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
What won't I do.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

bloodysabbath posted:

There will be no great purchase of a sports car, no homewrecking, divorce-inducing chase after a girl young enough to be my daughter. I’ve had severe clinical depression since I was like 14; there were never any great pussy-slaying salad days of yore to attempt to return to. When you’re 18, that’s a curse. When you’re pushing 40, it’s a blessing, because you know exactly what you bring to the table (not much) and as such will never be “that guy” at a bar, or on an app, or whatever.

Closest thing to a Porsche for me is a vintage Japanese arcade cabinet I bought at the height of the pandemic. (The cabinet in question came out in 1993, and the fact that 1993 is now vintage, is depressing in itself).

One weird thing about getting old though is you do start to have a real sense of being transient and that loving sucks - Example: People talk about celebrities and you have no idea who they are, or if you do, you don’t get why you should give a gently caress, whereas when you are young, pop culture knowledge is almost inexorable from building a personality.

Aside from games I’ve lost any real understanding of pop culture, especially music. Social media just amplifies the degree to which I’m old and hosed, the only bitter solace being that Gen Z is going to experience the same sinking sensation of shrinking relevance when they log in on Gen A’s neurolink matrix holodeck system (which will still be used primarily for tithing to attractive people just for existing).

The hardest thing though is realizing that your dreams aren’t going to happen. Like, I have a better life and partner than I have any right to expect. I’m well educated and work in a field where I get to help people instead of just pushing papers around. I’m underpaid but what I do now is legitimately an end goal in itself for lots of people. But I still feel like a dismal failure at least several times a week because after years of effort I came within spitting distance to a minor level of success in a creative field like 15 years ago and had it snatched from me by a lawsuit by people with more money than god. I’ve seen people associated with that project go on to have decent levels of success and it kills me that my sadbrain just caused me to fall into a dream ending rut after such a major setback.

I guess at some point you really start to feel like you’re slipping away instead of emerging. Some people react to this by desperately clinging to scraps of faded youth, others just kind of fall into a gradual silent despair. I’m more the second option and it sucks.

what was the arcade cabinet?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Me too after the divorce, so I started playing the tin whistle, whittling for a while, and recently I built a Balearic sling to launch rocks into the ocean.

unironically starting wearing these too

e: huh, I guess I'm having a mid-life crisis

This led me down the most hosed up internet black hole I've had the displeasure of stumbling upon in a very long time. They're like us, but they only care about one thing. And it's disgusting.

This is where I'll be spending my midlife crisis btw, don't come looking for me. (I'm ashamed.)

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Handen posted:

This led me down the most hosed up internet black hole I've had the displeasure of stumbling upon in a very long time. They're like us, but they only care about one thing. And it's disgusting.

This is where I'll be spending my midlife crisis btw, don't come looking for me. (I'm ashamed.)

Okay so what you're saying is we gotta make a slinging RSF

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Cry sis

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Maybe i`ll become a monk or something like that. I am tired of my career, my job is a joke, no family to worry about. And i have had enough hedonistic pleasures.
The drugs dont work, the winebuzz feels off and all the things i do distract myself feel completely barren and joyless now. Frequently i will just stop jerking off while i am building to climax because is just cant be bothered about anything anymore. I dont enjoy the things that a monk has to give up so i migth as well give them up too.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I like my life and the stuff I have but sometimes I just want to go to a different town, leave everything behind and live in a small 1bdrm apartment in a small city. I have no idea why, I just do.

nokternl
Jul 24, 2004
WTF?

bloodysabbath posted:

There will be no great purchase of a sports car, no homewrecking, chase after any girl. I’ve had severe clinical depression since I was like 14; there were never any great pussy-slaying salad days

One weird thing about getting old though is

genx 40+ represent
i change my irl answer to this fictional wish
:same:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Baudolino posted:

Maybe i`ll become a monk or something like that. I am tired of my career, my job is a joke, no family to worry about. And i have had enough hedonistic pleasures.
The drugs dont work, the winebuzz feels off and all the things i do distract myself feel completely barren and joyless now. Frequently i will just stop jerking off while i am building to climax because is just cant be bothered about anything anymore. I dont enjoy the things that a monk has to give up so i migth as well give them up too.

My friend I'm sorry and that sounds like depression

Perhaps instead of becoming a monk talk to a professional and see if theres a way you could enjoy some things again instead?

nokternl
Jul 24, 2004
WTF?
gently caress i hate bumping this thread.. probly belongs in e/n but its thereputic for us who might actually b going thru this poo poo..

where the gently caress did i park my ferrari?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Learn Spanish!

The Management posted:

Thinking of starting a secret second family

Hey my great grandpa did this a few times! He had a heart attack at fifty and died from stress after his real estate empire failed and his gold mine was stolen. So avoid that and you should be fine!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Camping

It can be an expensive mid-life crisis hobby or a cheap one.

Very nice as far as crisis go.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Gonna move to Europe

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Spend $100k+ on a Diablo Immortal character to “pwn the noobs”.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I bought my AK-47. Now I have to decide if I want to start a drug cartel or go become a Ukrainian freedom fighter.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Szyznyk posted:

I bought my AK-47. Now I have to decide if I want to start a drug cartel or go become a Ukrainian freedom fighter.

Por qué no los dos?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I'm gonna go on Facebook and finally tell that guy I had a massive crush on in high-school that I really had a massive crush on him. Those 3rd period showers gave me enough material that I made it to college with little trouble.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Szyznyk posted:

There was just a giant european cocaine ring busted up like last week and it's not like people are gonna stop wanting cocaine!! Nows your chance!

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Private Cumshoe posted:

what was the arcade cabinet?

A Sega Astro City; basically their Neo Geo in terms of being an iconic generic cab.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

when I’m 50 im gonna take up MDMA and going to raves and get a face tattoo

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Eat a loving turd

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Probably full blown orthorexia, veganism and a more problematic relationship with excercise

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I've always wanted to own an Outrun arcade cabinet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

Toxic Mental posted:

Eat a loving turd

:hellyeah: