Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Panfilo posted:

https://lithub.com/elon-musk-listens-to-professional-troll-andy-ngo-and-bans-anarchist-publisher-from-twitter/
Chad Loder and Vishal Singh, to name a few. When Elon Musk took over many prominent alt right accounts basically sicced Musk on these antifascist journalists to get them banned in retaliation for their journalism.

The other issue was the change to verification, which became a pay-to-play signal boost. A lot of formerly verified leftist accounts didn't want to pay Musk on principle but the alt right types that had been formerly banned were very enthusiastic about signing up. This created a knock on effect where leftist accounts were indirectly deplatformed as a result of this policy.

And in spite of the updated ToS, it is rather unclear of just what will get a user banned on Twitter.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I followed your link back to the original reporting, from which I found the following tweets. Now I have never read the ToS but I am sure they are a violation of it, and rightly so. What is good for the goose is good for the gander and I do not think Twitter, pre or post Musk, should be deciding who it is ok to call for violence against.

The other banned fellow you mention, Loder, says he believes he has been banned by a robot and that his case has not been reviewed by a human.
He seems to be most notable for reporting somebody for being present at the January 6th protests, so whether or not he should be banned from twitter, I would object to calling an unpaid snitch a leftist. Working with the American government means you are not an anti fascist.

Maybe you are just missing the cool zone but if not, one thing I have done with great success when I was not happy with my twitter feed, was to start a new account. It is always a little bit of a struggle to train the algorithm to show you the kind of thing you want to see and this makes it much easier.

Personally, twitter seems to be filled to bursting with erstwhile marxists, pro Palestinian posters and people literally fighting a war against the USA for the freedom of their country. It probably also has more chuds than when it was enacting pro democrat censorship but if the later is the price for the former I am happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The issue is the obvious inconsistency in moderation based on political ideology. Of course reactionaries will claim they have been the ones picked on the whole time but this isn't really the case. Chaya Raichik was a perfect example, as there were explicit instructions not to ban her permanently.

https://slate.com/technology/2022/12/twitter-files-bari-weiss-libsoftik-elon-musk.html

quote:

Based on information Weiss herself has shared, the company directed moderators never to take any action in regard to the high-profile account, instead elevating every issue to the highest levels of management. This preferential treatment of Libs of TikTok, while not acknowledged by [Bari] Weiss, is concerning. It implies that instead of placing the repeatedly banned account on a short leash, in light of its connection to real-world violent acts, ordinary moderators were unable to ensure that Libs of TikTok followed Twitter’s policies at all.

Theres also Dom Lucre, who posted CSAM content on Twitter (presumably to condemn it). He was initially banned on Twitter but later brought back by Musk.

If Elon Musk had been acting in good faith then at the very least some of the prominent far left accounts wouldn't have been banned or driven off. But his own actions contradict his claims for a desire for a free marketplace of ideas.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Weka posted:

Did they post on twitter?

https://x.com/AmExperiencePBS/status/1749971574747197461

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Trying to read the tea leaves to see if musk is operating in good faith is pointless.

Of course he isn't.

He's a Nazi billionaire.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's completely standard for conservatives to scream bloody murder about being censored and silenced while being obviously favoured by the media desperate to be 'bipartisan' while leftists are suppressed at every level. Every time social media bedgrudgingly bans open Nazis they ban random leftists for 'balance'. It's a great trick, it works every time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's completely standard for conservatives to scream bloody murder about being censored and silenced while being obviously favoured by the media desperate to be 'bipartisan' while leftists are suppressed at every level. Every time social media bedgrudgingly bans open Nazis they ban random leftists for 'balance'. It's a great trick, it works every time.
What's especially pathetic is that they still self censor with certain words because they are so :tinfoil: about getting shadowbanned. There's really not any consequences to throwing every slur in the book yet they still write things like p*d0fyl*z for "pedophiles".

For a while there was similar paranoia that ending up on too many blocklists can also result in reduced exposure s and they were whining how those triggered leftists were blocking too many of them. Which got me wondering what kind of anarchy would result in the block function getting disabled for say, a week.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's pretty weird to see this account criticize the other like that considering they seem to be putting themselves on the same side of this argument. There's also some self awareness in the replies that point out that so much of that content is just pushing this sense of impotent helplessness.
https://twitter.com/eyeslasho/status/1752695874025611380?t=PWvHHXkjIaB_xKYoXuc7AA&s=19
Furthermore, what evidence is there that a lack of cash bail someone facilitates violent crime?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My sentiments exactly. Props to this guy
https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1752876497935769639?t=0aTtgU0Bb3VgSr6WFj1v0w&s=19

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Panfilo posted:

My sentiments exactly. Props to this guy

stupid bitch

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Dang, looks like Twitter is finally imploding. It's almost as if you can't be some skull caliper Just Asking Questions Guy anymore without a bunch of wingnuts barging into the discussion rambling about Jews and stuff.
https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1753396646371545276?t=k4lVOyvTuLuHRwLB-dCzEQ&s=19

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Panfilo, do you see this poo poo naturally or do you rely on stancil for your hate views?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Personally I think American liberal values are most favoured by mainstream media. To me, they are far right values. Soy fascism. Like it is good to give minorities equal rights but if it is only domestic minorities and everyone overseas is subject to a brutal oppressive empire then it is still fascism.

Anyway, here's a tweet from my favorite hate follow, some hasbara account, who has just purchased Twitter gold. Seems like Elon's chud regime has born fruits for at least one fascist

https://twitter.com/Terror_Alarm/status/1753883657683513854

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

It's a really funny post. It goes from "it's CURRENT YEAR, i shouldn't be fighting for that kind of things!" to "we must fight" in one paragraph.

I have always hated the "this is the current date" argument.
Assuming it's made in good faith, it's so weak and pointless and betrays such a serious lack of understanding of history.
In bad faith, it's just a poor excuse to scold people and I don't know if you noticed but scolding doesn't really work that well.
I am sure some Germans were going on about how "they can't believe it's happening now when we are in the third decade of the 20th century" while actual nazis were doing the most vile poo poo.
The French guillotined their king in 1793 and abolished monarchy then we had THREE more kings the following century(and 2 extra republics and 2 emperors too).
And there were indeed many people saying "No General Bonaparte, you can't DO that, it's the 9th of Thermidor of the year II" but the soldiers took them away from the parliament and straight to jail.

Implying that progress can only go forward and that the calendar date gives you some kind of progress protection field preventing reactionary poo poo to come back is extremely cute but ultimately insane. I mean some people may be dumb enough to fall for it but clearly, it's not working on the people doing the regressive poo poo.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Weka posted:

Panfilo, do you see this poo poo naturally or do you rely on stancil for your hate views?

Personally I think American liberal values are most favoured by mainstream media. To me, they are far right values. Soy fascism. Like it is good to give minorities equal rights but if it is only domestic minorities and everyone overseas is subject to a brutal oppressive empire then it is still fascism.

Anyway, here's a tweet from my favorite hate follow, some hasbara account, who has just purchased Twitter gold. Seems like Elon's chud regime has born fruits for at least one fascist

https://twitter.com/Terror_Alarm/status/1753883657683513854
I saw this stuff on Twitter since last year and it really ramped up. I actually don't engage all that much, at least compare to all that I browse. One of the side effects of choosing not to be one of Musk's Blue Check Paypigs is that replies don't get a lot of visibility, so I haven't gotten any threatening DMs or anything like that. Stancil has my respect in that he's masochistic enough to push and engage harder which also gets more backlash.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/Devon_Eriksen_/status/1754902029883809838?t=4O6yir7h0uHEh046lq44cw&s=19

quote:

Classical liberal societies are hackable because they tend to set higher and higher values on human life and safety over time.

Eventually, society reaches a state where the worst non-violent thing is held to be less bad than the mildest sort of violence necessary to stop that that thing.

It then becomes effectively illegal to stop anyone from doing that thing.

In this state, a grifter can victimize people in any way he chooses so long as it:

1. Doesn't use violence.
2. Can only be stopped by violence.

Shoplifters can stop employing stealth altogether and simply loot stores, knowing that they cannot be caught or punish, because store owners will be punished more severely for dishing out a beating, or simply restraining them for the police, than the punishment for theft.

Youtube "pranksters" can harass and threaten innocent people, knowing that standing six inches from someone and screaming in their face, or yelling to bystanders that some innocent person is a child rapist, will be punished less severely, if at all, than the beatdown/pepper spraying that this behavior invites.

Self-styled protestors can block the arteries of civilization, knowing that driving a car over them, which is the only response available to drivers, will be punished as murder, while they themselves would be unlucky to be charged with an infraction.

These are all people who have learned to hack classical liberalism, and I'm sure you can think of more examples.

So what is to be done?

First, the inhabitants of classical liberal society must realize that property is freedom.

If we cannot protect that which we build and invest in, that means we are not free, because our choices, our self-determination, and even little pieces of our lives, are being taken away from us by those who can deprive us of our property at will.

This means that we must mentally free ourselves from the attitude that violence is unacceptable. Instead, when confronted with a property crime, or an assault on our dignity or liberty, we must normalize the use of the minimum amount of force that will reliably and safely stop it.

Note that I say "normalize", not "legalize".

Legalizing is an act of the government, and in states where the government is willing to do this, this sort of thing isn't a widespread problem. No one is blocking roads in Tennessee, Idaho, or Montana, because they know the consequences would be swift and unpleasant.

In California, Chicago, Oregon, western Washington, and so on, the state will not put a stop to these things, because it wants them to happen.

So those of you who are forced to live in those states, and are unable to leave, must normalize beatdowns.

Yes, your state and local governments will want to punish you for playing rough with their beloved criminal underclass, and their precious insane hobos and bums.

But you must realize what the criminals and bums realized long ago... the police and the state are not ubiquitous, and their power to catch and punish you is much more limited than you think.

Yes, they will go after you much harder than they go after thugs, bums, and commies, because thugs, bums, and commies are their constituents and you are not.

But that's what "normalize" means. It means make normal. You all have to start doing it, or at least a lot of you. Because one or two people can be made an example of, but normal behavior cannot.

How long would this continue if every group of roadblocking communist agitators were beaten by a mob of angry motorists who carry a pair of thick socks and a set of Chinese mediation balls, or a bar of soap, in their cars?

You have to take your states back. Your governments will not do it for you. This whole thing was their idea. You have to realize they are the enemy, stop petitioning them to protect you, and start protecting yourselves.
This particular conservative is convinced they can move the needle by escalating violence in these situations. He's convinced that any retaliation now will get disproportionate punishment. Some fellow goons have told me the reason you don't see more open violence now is because most of these chuds are cowards and waiting until others initiate things first. It is rather telling how they spend a lot of time talking about how helpless they feel, and in spite of their own self-patriotic ideals they don't feel patriotic enough to take much initiative.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch
they want other people who look like them to have a reputation as really scary bc theyre afraid of ppl who look different ans are little babies

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

FirstnameLastname posted:

they want other people who look like them to have a reputation as really scary bc theyre afraid of ppl who look different ans are little babies

Yeah that's true. You see them say stuff like "these commies don't get away with that in my neighborhood". But they never actually elaborate what they are doing to people who glue their hands to the street. Lots of tough talk about running them over and stuff but very little action.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

quote:

Legalizing is an act of the government, and in states where the government is willing to do this, this sort of thing isn't a widespread problem. No one is blocking roads in Tennessee, Idaho, or Montana, because they know the consequences would be swift and unpleasant.

If you block a road in Potatoville, Idaho, who would notice?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Fish of hemp posted:

If you block a road in Potatoville, Idaho, who would notice?

The guy whose been angrily driving around the past four years HOPING he'll get to confront someone who glued her hands to the street or chucked paint on some confederate statue.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

Panfilo posted:

The issue is the obvious inconsistency in moderation based on political ideology. Of course reactionaries will claim they have been the ones picked on the whole time but this isn't really the case. Chaya Raichik was a perfect example, as there were explicit instructions not to ban her permanently.

https://slate.com/technology/2022/12/twitter-files-bari-weiss-libsoftik-elon-musk.html

Theres also Dom Lucre, who posted CSAM content on Twitter (presumably to condemn it). He was initially banned on Twitter but later brought back by Musk.

If Elon Musk had been acting in good faith then at the very least some of the prominent far left accounts wouldn't have been banned or driven off. But his own actions contradict his claims for a desire for a free marketplace of ideas.

https://twitter.com/realstewpeters/
this account is straight up holocaust denying but i doubt it will be banned for the same reasons chaya's account wasnt banned. Elon is losing too much to do a crackdown and lose even more

Weka
May 5, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

crazy knuckles fan ftw

Weka
May 5, 2019

Panfilo posted:

I saw this stuff on Twitter since last year and it really ramped up. I actually don't engage all that much, at least compare to all that I browse. One of the side effects of choosing not to be one of Musk's Blue Check Paypigs is that replies don't get a lot of visibility, so I haven't gotten any threatening DMs or anything like that. Stancil has my respect in that he's masochistic enough to push and engage harder which also gets more backlash.

If Kaczynski could not make posting into praxis, I doubt Big Willy Stancil can.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Al! posted:

crazy knuckles fan ftw

Weka
May 5, 2019

kneelbeforezog posted:

https://twitter.com/realstewpeters/
this account is straight up holocaust denying but i doubt it will be banned for the same reasons chaya's account wasnt banned. Elon is losing too much to do a crackdown and lose even more

Perhaps you could link to them denying the holocaust because when I search their tweets for the word "holocaust" it seems clear they think it happened and that it was bad. There is a little comparing of current Israeli crimes to Nazi ones and some attacking Ian Miles Cheong for his antisemitism.

https://twitter.com/search?q=From%3A%40realstewpeters%20holocaust%20&src=typed_query

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Al! posted:

crazy knuckles fan ftw

bring them home

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Punished Turtle posted:

bring them home

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Punished Turtle posted:

bring them home

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

Punished Turtle posted:

bring them home

Weka
May 5, 2019

Punished Turtle posted:

bring them home

Tearfully: bump

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Facebook seems to prove this theory incorrect.
https://twitter.com/cremieuxrecueil/status/1757871861877145645?t=c8fWCYuWqAdyQBGQB6gPBQ&s=19

quote:

The Huffington Post comments section had three phases.

In the first phase, people quickly made up whatever usernames they wanted and commented away, and people could be shut down and just make a new account: "The comment space was, at the time, a troll's paradise."

In the second phase, users had to authenticate accounts but real names weren't required. In this phase, they could be identified by their usernames and banned for bad commentary and whatnot, and the bans were nontrivial to circumvent: "This made personas on this commenting space less disposable. They became 'stable pseudonyms.'"

In the third and final phase, HuffPo outsourced usernames from Facebook. People largely posted with their real names: "This third phase therefore roughly approximates a real-name environment."

So, what happened with each phase change?

Going from 1 to 2, the usage of swear words and offensive terms dropped off. Things became markedly more civil with the shift to "durable pseudonymity."

Additionally, users started to use longer words, more causation language ("because", "due to", etc.), and tentative words ("perhaps", "maybe", etc.), and other indicators of cognitive complexity. The highest quality commentary came with pseudonymity:

How did the authors explain this?

"This complicates the common assumption that people behave better with their real names on display."

"We don’t know exactly what explains our results, but one possibility is that under durable pseudonyms the users orient their comments primarily at their fellow commentators as an audience. They then perhaps develop a concern for their own reputation within that forum, as has been suggested elsewhere. It’s possible that a real-name environment shifts the dynamic. When you make comments that can be seen not only by other Huffington Post readers but also by your Facebook friends, it seems plausible that you might speak differently."

"What matters, it seems, is not so much whether you are commenting anonymously, but whether you are invested in your persona and accountable for its behaviour in that particular forum. There seems to be value in enabling people to speak on forums without their comments being connected, via their real names, to other contexts."

As the authors of the piece noted, this echoes what the comment management company Disqus found independently a few years back: pseudonymous users are more positive than real-named or anonymous users, and they contribute far more too.

There's a case for the Twitter users we call "anons." Those who want to make a case against them should start looking for evidence, because their case doesn't look good from where I'm standing.

Source:

journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.11…

web.archive.org/web/2015021123…

theconversation.com/online-anonymi…
I can distinctly recall being called slurs by my stepmom's coworkers because I said that Reagan was a bad president who didn't do enough to address the AIDS crisis. These were people who used their real names and place of work, yet had zero problems calling me homophobic slurs over partisan differences.

A lack of anonymity didn't breed civility in this case, so I don't think it makes much of a difference. In spite of all the fearmongering about "Cancel culture" most conservatives don't really face any consequences for this kind of behavior.

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

Panfilo posted:

Facebook seems to prove this theory incorrect.
https://twitter.com/cremieuxrecueil/status/1757871861877145645?t=c8fWCYuWqAdyQBGQB6gPBQ&s=19

I can distinctly recall being called slurs by my stepmom's coworkers because I said that Reagan was a bad president who didn't do enough to address the AIDS crisis. These were people who used their real names and place of work, yet had zero problems calling me homophobic slurs over partisan differences.

A lack of anonymity didn't breed civility in this case, so I don't think it makes much of a difference. In spite of all the fearmongering about "Cancel culture" most conservatives don't really face any consequences for this kind of behavior.

dude who are you talking to lol

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

croup coughfield posted:

keep honking, im unpacking

Weka
May 5, 2019

Dang the fascists are really out in force on X these days

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1758597239927103903

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/CateMartel/status/1760711946741916000

Hell yeah I hit the Babbitt Murder 4x bonus during MAGA multiball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬