Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Can Ghana and Korea can both go through or are we stuck with Ronny in the knockouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Can Ghana and Korea can both go through or are we stuck with Ronny in the knockouts

Portugal are already through.

E: Along with Brazil and France

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

TDepressionEarl posted:

the replay officiating is not controversial in rugby, it is transparent and you hear the field official discuss matters with the video officials.

what is controversial in rugby is judgement calls, judging what constitutes a dangerous hit or a clean hit, or what constitutes a professional foul leading to sin bin penalties

Always liked how they talk through their reasoning as they go through the different angles. Surprised it isn't done in football, it'd definitely help to clear up some controversial calls.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
So in replay it looks like he shifts his hand towards the ball as he's falling.

So hand to ball is going to get called a foul.

If his hand hadn't changed course then it would maybe have been a ball to hand. Which would not be a foul.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

It shouldn't have been a penalty, ref's an idiot, it didn't matter anyway

Also it came after Ronaldo was subbed which is funny, to me, since he wasn't credited with the goal he tried to claim earlier

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
only just caught the replay of that penalty decision and holy lol what a stinker
strong contender for the worst call of the tournament so far

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

It shouldn't have been a penalty, ref's an idiot, it didn't matter anyway

didn't matter to this result sure, but it would be the most fifa thing ever if knockout qualification goes down to goal difference and this pen is the deciding factor

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

whypick1 posted:

Tiebreakers:

1) Overall group goal difference
2) Overall group goals scored
3) Head to head (H2H) result
4) H2H goal difference in all matches between the teams still level
5) H2H goals scored in all matches between the teams still level
6) Fair play points
7) Drawing of lots

What's the furthest they have ever had to go for a tiebreaker?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Digital Jedi posted:

What's the furthest they have ever had to go for a tiebreaker?

Just last World Cup, Senegal were eliminated on fair play points. The only thing that could go further than that is drawing lots and I'm not sure that's ever happened?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Senegal were eliminated in 2018 using the fair play criteria. Senegal and Japan both finished with 4 points and goal difference of zero. Their match was a 2-2 draw, and they'd both scored 4 goals and conceded 4 goals, so it went to the fair play points. Japan had received 4 yellows while Senegal had 6, so Japan went through (also noting that a second yellow counts double, while a straight red counts as 4 yellows).

It's probably happened other times but that's the one I remember most clearly

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's crazy and honestly suprised it's had to go that far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
New day new thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4018568&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1