Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Lemon posted:

That's true. Are there any other sports where replay technology is just completely accepted as correct in the same way it is in tennis?

Cricket pretty much accepts it, including for prediction of ball movement that never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Portugal has to be the biggest dichotomy between how much their football team are detestable cunts and how much I love the rest of their country and culture

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
https://twitter.com/dalejohnsonespn/status/1597332269709918208?s=46&t=PrHqOmtY1UL44FjiY-dMmw

:lol:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

goatface posted:

Cricket pretty much accepts it, including for prediction of ball movement that never happened.

Is it used for anything besides LBW?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Good thing happen: them's the rules, rules are rules and we definitely know the rules, which these were

Bad thing happen: actually that hasn't been the rules since September 23rd, although it will be the rules again starting thursday but only until Christmas - bad decision

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
:justpost:

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Hahaha

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
*very uruguayishly* no eras penal

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The hell is going on

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Portugal has to be the biggest dichotomy between how much their football team are detestable cunts and how much I love the rest of their country and culture

their sardines are good

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
God dman Pepe's eyebrows should be in a museum

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The hell is going on

Ronaldo is older than he's ever been and now he's older still

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Butterfly Valley posted:

bernies alright

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

bruno fernandesh

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

bernies alright

It's mostly residual hate for Ronaldo and Pepe at this point.

Although Joao Felix is looking promising in the Cuntlympics

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bip Roberts posted:

Is it used for anything besides LBW?

Not really. TV umpire checks for other things are normally done on the basis of video and audio analysis.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/paul_worton/status/1597332577806794752

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Good observation Paul, smart fella

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Players just doing massive breakdancing stalls with hands hovering off the ground to not give away a pen

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

bernies alright

Questionable comparisons to racist chocolate advertising cartoon characters aside

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The real problem is consistency because I swear they’ve denied pens for clearer handballs in the past few days

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

My god I was screaming at the screen for Santos to do some subs, after 65 minutes everyone was exausted and we could do no pressure. Surprise surprise as soon as he does Uruguay doesn't do anything else. I'm basically the new Guardiola it seems.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
we need a second var team at the rules library to check the first var

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

poty posted:

Who VARches the VARchmen

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Portugal going all the way

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

poty posted:

need appellate vars and superior vars until we meet the supreme var with chief justice johnny ginger

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Lemon posted:

That's true. Are there any other sports where replay technology is just completely accepted as correct in the same way it is in tennis?

rugby i think

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

de curry GOAT posted:

Suarez Aaahhhh

King of the masticate

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

tristeham posted:

rugby i think

the replay officiating is not controversial in rugby, it is transparent and you hear the field official discuss matters with the video officials.

what is controversial in rugby is judgement calls, judging what constitutes a dangerous hit or a clean hit, or what constitutes a professional foul leading to sin bin penalties

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's not computerised either, it's just video analysis by a few dudes in the van.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdQCPlAZjbY

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Eau de MacGowan posted:

bernies alright

He’s a right bastard but also very good. I don’t think I’ve liked a Portugal team since the Rui Costa days and that’s 20 years (!) ago.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

So in what scenario can Korea get into the Knock Out stages?

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

TV Zombie posted:

- If Ghana loses against Uruguay, Korea is through if they beat Portugal by at least one less goal than the goal difference in the Ghana v Uruguay match
- If Ghana draws, Korea has to beat Portugal by at least 2 goals

poty fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 28, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Copying from ESPN article:

quote:

Ghana: Guaranteed to finish in the top two if they beat Uruguay, and could win the group as per the scenarios above.

If Ghana draw and South Korea draw/lose, Ghana qualify in second.

If Ghana draw and South Korea win:
- Portugal win the group with six points, Ghana and South Korea both have four points; and
-- If South Korea win by one goal, second place will be decided on goals scored.
--- If group goals scored are identical (e.g. if 0-0 and 3-2), Ghana finish second on head-to-head.
-- If South Korea win by two or more goals, South Korea finish second on goal difference and Ghana are third.

Ghana cannot qualify with a defeat.

Uruguay: Must win, and will finish second if South Korea draw/lose.

If both Uruguay and South Korea win:
- Portugal win the group with six points, Uruguay and South Korea both have four points;
-- If both games are won by the same margin, South Korea finish second on goal difference
-- If Uruguay win by a greater margin of one goal (so 2-0 and 1-0), second place is decided on goals scored
--- If goals scored are level (so 1-0 and 3-1), second place is decided on fair play (yellow and red cards.); If that's level, it's a random draw.
-- If Uruguay win by a greater margin of two or more goals (so 3-0 and 1-0), Uruguay finish second on goal difference

South Korea: Need a victory to have a chance.

If both South Korea and Uruguay win, the scenarios in the Uruguay section apply.

If South Korea win and Ghana draw, South Korea are guaranteed to qualify if they win by two goals; if South Korea win by one goal the scenarios in the Ghana section apply.

If South Korea and Ghana win, South Korea finish third.

If Korea advances, they might have that extremely bullshit PK call at the end of today's match to thank.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

TV Zombie posted:

Beat Portugal while Uruguay beats Ghana, but also maintain goal difference.

So if Uruguay win by two Korea also need to win two.

If Uruguay gains one GD they'll be tied on points and GD so it goes to head-to-head (which was a draw) and goals scored.

If that's the same too then I'm not sure. Disciplinary record? Qualifying record or some other nonsense?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Tiebreakers:

1) Overall group goal difference
2) Overall group goals scored
3) Head to head (H2H) result
4) H2H goal difference in all matches between the teams still level
5) H2H goals scored in all matches between the teams still level
6) Fair play points
7) Drawing of lots

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TV Zombie posted:

They must win, obviously, and Ghana must lose.

South Korea have scored two goals which gives them a huge advantage over Uruguay.

Uruguay needs to win by three goals more than South Korea to advance if both win, if my reading of the tiebreakers is correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

TV Zombie posted:

There’s a really good what if calculator on the Marcia website where you can input scores and it updates all the tables.

https://www.marca.com/en/world-cup/2022/11/26/6382318622601d435e8b45b8.html

Korea go through if they beat Portugal & Uruguay draw or win against Ghana.

Because of GD, Uruguay need a winning margin of 2 goals better than Korea’s result over Portugal to overtake them. So those games could go absolutely mental with teams moving all over the shop and counter attacks dropping from 2nd to 4th.