Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
EPIC RAP BATTLES OF HISTORY

SHAWARMA vs BURRITO

EMPANADA vs SAMBOUSAK

ARROZ MEXICANO vs KABSA or MANDI

BEGIN!

Todays matches

Group D: Australia vs Denmark (Al Janoub Stadium, Al Wakrah; kick-off 3pm)

Group D: Tunisia vs France (Education City Stadium, Al Rayyan; kick-off 3pm)

Group C: Poland vs Argentina (Stadium 974, Doha; kick-off 7pm)

Group C: Saudi Arabia vs Mexico (Lusail Iconic Stadium, Lusail; kick-off 7pm)

Oh and Croissant Vs Couscous too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
those are tomorrow's matches, OP

today's matches are:
Netherlands v Qatar
Ecuador v Senegal

then:
Sheep v Colonialists
Great Satan v Axis of Evil

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

webmeister posted:

those are tomorrow's matches, OP

today's matches are:
Netherlands v Qatar
Ecuador v Senegal

then:
Sheep v Colonialists
Great Satan v Axis of Evil

Oh poo poo lol

Mods feel free to lock this thread until tomorrow lol

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0wOD9TWynM

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Other thread goldmined, you may resume discussion of today's events here

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

what's the Denmark/Australia food battle? vegemite vs pickled herring?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

what's the Denmark/Australia food battle? vegemite vs pickled herring?

Subway vs whatever Nordics eat

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
if we're talking wrapped foods like shawarma, you can't go past the aussie icon that is the Chiko Roll

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiko_Roll

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Australia Denmark is

Sängar vs Sanga

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
REAL Mexicans don't eat burritos

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

EPIC RAP BATTLES OF HISTORY

SHAWARMA vs BURRITO

EMPANADA vs SAMBOUSAK

ARROZ MEXICANO vs KABSA or MANDI

BEGIN!

Todays matches

Group D: Australia vs Denmark (Al Janoub Stadium, Al Wakrah; kick-off 3pm)

Group D: Tunisia vs France (Education City Stadium, Al Rayyan; kick-off 3pm)

Group C: Poland vs Argentina (Stadium 974, Doha; kick-off 7pm)Vs Croissant

Group C: Saudi Arabia vs Mexico (Lusail Iconic Stadium, Lusail; kick-off 7pm)

Oh and Croissant Vs Couscous too!

Pie floater vs Smørrebrød

Harissa vs Croissant

Pierogi vs BBQ beef steak

Kabsah vs Tacos

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Weaponized Cum posted:

REAL Mexicans don't eat burritos

Wait, what?

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Purely by taste:
Aus
Fra
Pol
Mex

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Purely by taste:
Aus
Fra
Pol
Mex

It’s impressive that this list is wrong in more than one direction.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Australians have absolutely no taste

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

We have a lot of good food, it's just that it's all from one of our many immigrant communities and as such not really "Australian" in the sense of being part of a unique national cuisine.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Well now I’m not giving you any of my fairy bread :colbert:

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

it's a gringo invention like hard shell tacos and school shootings

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

i don't are who invented them burritos are loving tasty

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Poland and Saudi Arabia winning would be absolutely outstanding.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Weaponized Cum posted:

Ah, I see you’ve never visited Mexico before.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Tortilla Maker posted:

Ah, I see you’ve never visited Mexico before.

I've been over a dozen times pal. Face the facts

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Weaponized Cum posted:

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Weaponized Cum posted:

I've been over a dozen times pal. Face the facts

Oooh, wow. Cancún must be lovely. Go back to Canada.

<- Check the username + birth certificate. #RealFacts

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

So you're Guatemalan? I've been there too

Zombie Chow
Jun 17, 2010

We interrupt this program to increase dramatic tension.
I am a mexican in Mexico and I do eat burritos :colbert:
That said, Mexico doesn't deserve to score a single goal.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Oh cool this is up already I can do my thing. This one is a little longer sorry in advance.

Tunisia France
Referee: Matthew CONGER (NZL)
VAR: Abdullah Al Marri (QAT)

Conger finally gets his match! He literally could have done any match, being the OFC representative, but they held him until MD3. It's clear he just doesn't have much political backing and that the powers that be dont really care about him. But he's here and not one of the Unofficial Reserve Only guys so he had to work and I guess they figured this was as good as any since France should control things. Likely he will be one and done. He did Nigeria Iceland in the 2018 World Cup. And, a fun fact, he was born in Texas and started refereeing over in the United States. He was getting some notice before he moved to New Zealand. Anyway, what's more interesting to me is the VAR. Abdulla Al Marri was the VAR on the Portugal Uruguay match, which.... yeah. This assignment was made before that game, so there's basically no way at the World Cup they were going to make a switch after the announcement. But, uhh.... I don't think we will be seeing Al Marri again after today, or at least not in the main chair.

Australia Denmark
Referee: Mustapha GHORBAL (ALG)
VAR: Mauro Vigliano (ARG)

Ghorbal may be CAF's #1. He had Netherlands Ecuador previously. Not much to say here, couldn't be UEFA, couldn't be AFC, and I think the original plan for the day was Elfath on Poland Argentina, so go to CAF and use their #1 for this important game. Makes enough sense to me.

Saudi Arabia Mexico
Referee: Michael OLIVER (ENG)
VAR: Massimiliano Irrati (ITA)

Do I really need to say anything about Michael Oliver? Ok, actually, I'll say this: I think it's going to be really interesting to see who wins out between him and Anthony Taylor for a knockout match. I think it's clear that UEFA think Oliver is better, and I think the PL agrees. But... FIFA might like Taylor more. I dont really have anything to base that on in fact, just a sneaky feeling I get. It's possible that they will both get a knockout match! But if two Englishmen get that, and with the #3 on the RefComm being a Brazilian who managed to get two Brazilians brought to the tournament, wouldn't that mean both of them have to work, too? And If you do that, the amount of knockout games to go around starts getting narrow real fast. So my bet is only one of them.

Poland Argentina
Referee: Danny MAKKELIE (NED)
VAR: Pol van Boekel (NED)

I posted about this in the other thread, but assignments are out two days before the matches in question and they had been hitting at a pretty regular time, with the exception of the opener where I think there was a "Do we give the opener to Frappart?" debate. Everything else had been pretty regular on timing.

This matchday is where that broke again. Our friends at Arbitro Internacional (I dont know who they know but they usually have this stuff first or pretty close to first so I trust them when they speak) said there was a disagreement in FIFA about a specific appointment.

https://twitter.com/ArbitroInteBlog/status/1597273341320388608

The smart money is that the match in question here is this one. Up until this point, unless I missed something (which is possible!), confederation neutrality held - that is, no match had a referee from the confederation of the teams playing with the exception of UEFA vs UEFA being able to have a UEFA referee, which just makes good sense. If you were trying to game this out (which a couple of the referee forums/blogs out there are wont to do), there were a handful of options. Obviously, a Qatari is the #2 guy on the RefComm, so I assume Al-Jassim was in the mix as the AFC option. Conger from OFC just doesn't have any political backing so they threw him on the France game. From CAF, I think Ghorbal probably could have done this, but they elected to use him elsewhere. From CONCACAF, Barton and Ramos already both have worked two, so that leaves Elfath. I think FIFA loves Elfath - MLS fans will obviously laugh at that, but the appointments he has gotten at his international events suggest he has folks who like what he does, and FIFA view the MLS as one of the better leagues for VAR usage so that's a point in his favor. But his single match so far was somewhat controversial - I don't think FIFA view the penalty he gave to Ronaldo as a Miss, but I also don't necessarily believe they wanted it called, either. So... when he just had a controversial Ronaldo incident, do you really want him in the fire to have a controversial Messi moment? While I think Elfath was probably the name originally penciled in, maybe it was Al-Jassim after all and FIFA were going to try to save Elfath from any controversy. Hard to say.

All that is to say - it really seems like Argentina took stock of all of their non UEFA options and said "no thank you, just give us a UEFA referee." With their tournament on the line it seems like they would rather see a Champions League referee. So then it became, well, who? Makkelie is an interesting one since there were only two rest days between his appointment here and his last match of Spain Germany. But I think he is one both parties are more than happy to see.

Plus Makkelie makes me laugh because he has a picture of himself on his red card.

https://twitter.com/refsix/status/1585710505645047809

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 30, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Brb gonna slip a billion dollar check to AMLO and see if that does anything

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
The personalised red cards seem a bit lame

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

What results do we need for Argentina to go out?

Save us chartman

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

sebzilla posted:

What results do we need for Argentina to go out?

Save us chartman

Here is the chart I found on reddit.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Alright lets go Poland & Saudi Arabia :lol:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Denmark, Tunisia, Argentina, Mexico for me.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

psyer posted:

Here is the chart I found on reddit.

Thank u chartman

lending all my posting energy to Poland and Saudi today. Happy for Australia or Denmark to go through

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Always been a big fan of the house of Saud, me. Sorry Mexico but it's for the greater good.

And then just don't lose, Poland. I believe in you.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i will not be getting up to 'root' for australia at 2am

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

sebzilla posted:

Always been a big fan of the house of Saud, me.

Turns out you're not alone. In today's episode of "lol, lmao":

https://twitter.com/mcgrathmike/status/1597875039902498817?s=61&t=k7SvPdceNoaum9iXyX4HhQ

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

cowboy beepboop posted:

i will not be getting up to 'root' for australia at 2am

I will be rooting for Australia and then getting up at 2am

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok not gonna say anything but Christiano ronaldo going to Al-nasser is like such an unbelievable downgrade lol it’s not even the best local club it’s like #2 or 3 depending on who you ask

But they’re probably gonna pay him triple what Manchester did so he’s gonna be even more filthy rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Alright lets go Poland & Saudi Arabia :lol:

Christ
They really are going to all come back on stretchers