Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jabor posted:

is he actually intended-good

or is he just a reflection of the author, for good or ill

nah, no way, i'm just being sarcastic as i can't think of a more clear-cut depiction of a monstrous kind of modern person. just a lot of people incapable of appreciating a book (or any media) without assuming that main character is intended good and admirable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

that's about a 60's era proto goon! :argh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I bought another set of calipers. I think this is my seventh set?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

hmm, lot of people handing out bad reviews as they astutely point out how problematic it is to glorify obviously intended-good protagonist ignatius

English professor writing “main character = good person” in huge letters on chalk board

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

that book was good

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

ever figure out your bmi yet?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sagebrush posted:

Sagebrush living in Cyrodill, Oblivion here.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

polyester concept posted:

the coarse side is meant to only be used to get a very badly abused knife edge full of dents and nicks back to a regular shape. it's very abrasive and removes a lot of material. the fine side is what you use to get the edge. i have a lansky one like that and it gets my knife sharp enough for 90% of kitchen stuff. it's not as sharp as what you see on those insane videos where they go through 20 different grit whetstones because that is absurd.

got an example video? id watch 20 whetstones

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

post hole digger posted:

English professor writing “main character = good person” in huge letters on chalk board

reminded me of the 40 000 000 goons who hate XKCD because they think the author is all the characters.

(instead of hating it for real reasons)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

knife sharpening videos own.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think this weekend i'm going to drive down to woodcraft with a friend who wants me to teach her to use the lathe. we'll pick up some pen kits. fun

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Sagebrush living in Cyrodill, Oblivion here.

i never played oblivion so idgi

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

fart simpson posted:

This person's channel is amazing for sharpening "Knives":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P6klz6BTek

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
that channel took a really weird turn a while ago.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

What was the turn? I think I’ve seen this channels stuff before but I don’t follow it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Silver Alicorn posted:

explain yourself

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

OK thanks for the information.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ADINSX posted:

What was the turn? I think I’ve seen this channels stuff before but I don’t follow it

converted to catholicism

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ADINSX posted:

uh went from basic “made a knife out of wood” content to using dolls in a way I found pretty creepy, idk

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

All knife guys are perverts so I don't know where the surprise is.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"This guy who made perfectly innocuous MLP-cum-MLP-cumjar Youtubes turned out to be... a weirdo!"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Silver Alicorn posted:

uh went from basic “made a knife out of wood” content to using dolls in a way I found pretty creepy, idk

Eh whatev--

Cat Face Joe posted:

converted to catholicism

:dogstare:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

converted to catholicism

How does that even come up in a channel about building weird knives, did they make the worlds sharpest crucifix?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

as far as i can tell, it didn't. it's like 95% knives, with the rest stuff like "made a pet out of hair" (lol what), "hand-shaped fried meat and rice," "bowling tips with a cast," etc

https://www.youtube.com/@kiwami-japan/videos

im wondering if some wires are getting crossed

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah uh they start one off with some kind of ritual involving a doll, a pentagram and candles resulting in the doll’s head melting off,

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah uh they start one off with some kind of ritual involving a doll, a pentagram and candles resulting in the doll’s head melting off,

lol oh wow, yeah they do. here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh0IaUn4z9k

fuckin' odd, you weren't wrong. i did not expect 'em to just make a weird lil prelude

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

looking at tape measures on amazon

SO MANY reviews complaining that the metal hook is loose

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

does stanley suck now? both of mine are good but they're 20+ years old

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

stanley's still fine in my experience. almost certainly not the same company as used to make the famous planes, and god knows who or what faceless brand management corp owns them now, but the stuff of theirs i've used is still fine.

i think i'm gonna get a mitutoyo one to match my other fancy measuring equipment. surprisingly inexpensive

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
stanley black and decker who also makes dewalt and porter-cable and craftsman and irwin and mac and facom and proto and

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The lock on my Stanley fatmax is a little weak and the tape is only a couple of years old. I have a couple of older Stanley tapes from the 80s that are still fine though.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i like the compact milwaukee 8 meter with the printing on both sides. standout isn’t as long as some others, but its light and reasonably durable and somewhat accurate

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Love it. Like the 1 star reviews of The Usual Suspects that complain that they never say who Keyser Soze is.

Or the 5 star reviews that say the same thing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my favorite tape measure isn't long and doesn't have many features but well

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Sagebrush posted:

lol this seems like it would be a good addition to apprentice pranks like fetching a long weight or a replacement spirit bubble. can you get me a tape measure with a tight end hook?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When I built ships I'd rescue all tools that were going in the bin so I have like 40 000 tape measures, noives, etc. Also some really heavy-duty springs (:shrug:) and cool thermometers. And more expensive zipties than you can shake a penis at.

E: they weren't going in the bin because they were bad, but because people are lazy and "I can get a new one from the tool gaol".

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

zipties go bad once they're opened so i hope you aren't using those expensive zipties on anything expensive!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i have a lil 3/4"x16ft "US TAPE" measure at work that seems pretty decent. does standard and metric, build quality is pretty good. amusingly, the end hook is kinda annoyingly tight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Achmed Jones posted:

my favorite tape measure isn't long and doesn't have many features but well

oh hey you found my tape