Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

welcome to The Impies, the only award show that matters. talk about all the best games you played this year, pick a game of the year, nd pick an impy. the impy doesnt need to be your game of the year or be released this year although it can be both, just pick a game thats really special to you, and talk about any honorable mentions you got.

slay the spire
in a game with two different hundred hour super-rpgs this is probably th game i played the most. super fun, really well designed, best card-based game ive ever played except monster train. so much fun, big recommend

great ace attorney chronicles
i wasnt sold after the first game but man the second game kicks rear end. first game ends up bein all setup so the second game can really sing and it goes to some wild fuckin places. awesome game, definitely the best vn i played this year.

super monkey ball: banana blitz
MONKEY BALL FUCKIN KICKS rear end

the looker
funniest game i played ths year zero question. it looks like a dumbass witness parody but its super smart and clever and some of the jokes are incredible. definitely worth the like five hours to play it

elden ring - :siren: Game of the Year :siren:
i mean no poo poo. its maybe not my favorite from game but its still a loving masterpiece and it ate me alive for a month. when i wasnt playing it i was thinkin about it and when i wasn't thinkin about it i was dreaming about it. its incredible they made a game this loving big with so much poo poo to dude and so many weird edges and cool things to discover and even if the combats not as good as sekiro it's still incredible. easy goty

xenoblade chronicles 3 - :siren: Impy :siren:
i didnt expect to like this game anywhere near as much as i did, i knew itd kick rear end but i didnt think itd come as close to knocking elden ring off the goty stand as it did. fuckin great writing, awesome soundtrack, really well done massive open world with tons of cool poo poo in it, one of th best teams of main characters i've ever seen, some actually really fuckin good and affecting scenes. 10/10 game and i cant wait to see what monolith does next (finished version of xenogears :pray:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ps someone make a trophy out of impo for me

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Honorable Mention: Luigi's Mansion 3
several steps up from the original imo. a lot more emphasis on puzzles and exploration which i appreciated, and of course it's fun as hell. really ought to get around to Dark Moon one day...

Honorable Mention: Ace Attorney: Justice for All+Trials and Tribulations
couldn't pick either one since both have absolute masterpiece cases, barring Turnabout Big Top in 2 and the extremely fuckin bizarre body pendulum reveal in Bridge to the Turnabout in 3. absolute Goomba Stomp every time you select that one case-shattering piece of evidence

Honorable Mention: Warioland 4
bona fide childhood favorite of mine. very glad i could finally beat it+let IZGC experience it. fuckin killer GBA game

Honorable Mention: Dragon Warrior
short, sweet, and it's absolutely rekindled my interest in JRPGs and got me into the DQ series for the first time. i can see why it's a stone cold classic, tho DQIII seems likely to replace it if i manage to both beat DQ2+put down Pokemon Sword by the end of the year

Runner-up/GOTY: Neon White
overall GOTY really should go to either XB3 or ER, but NW is the only game i beat that was released this year aside from The Looker so it's gotta be this by default. i'm not usually one to perfect time trial runs or go for 100% completion in games but i did both with this one. addictive and excellent gameplay and the soundtrack kicks rear end. a shame the writing is fuckin monkeycheese dogshit

Impy: Deus Ex
i mean idk what to really say, it's Deus Ex. unparalleled and drat near perfect. its only downside was getting me to try Invisible War and uhhhh lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GOTY: Elden Ring - This is literally the only game released this year that I beat lol. But even if it wasn't I'd be hard pressed to think of another game I loved this much. Absolute god-tier game, thank you based From software.

Best Game From a Previous Year: Dead Space - Really glad I finally played this, awesome game with some legit scares, excellent atmosphere and sound design. Started Dead Space 2 and it also kicks rear end, talking Isaac isn't even that bad

Game I'm looking forward to playing the most: Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - Trying to beat XBC1 before I jump into this though I keep getting distracted by Game Club and retro games. Everyone says it's godlike

Indie Pixel Art Gem of the Year: Record of Lodoss War -Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth - Great Metroidvania that leans heavily into the SOTN style

Series of the Year: Dragon Quest - I've loved DQ for many a year but never really played the first three games... Game Club got me to finally beat 1 which kicked rear end and got me in the mood to play 2 (which also kicks rear end so far) and I'll be definitely playing the SNES version of 3 as well. Plus Rocket Slime for Game Club... goddamn gaming rules

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

GOTY goes to Elden Ring and it's not even close. though the final act of the game funnels into Really Long Dark Souls With Reused Enemies this is the game I've always dreamed of, a true epic LOTR-esque adventure with fantastic combat and exploration. I want DLC

Impy goes to:
Kirby and the Forgotten Land. a perfect modern Kirby game. enough said

Honorable mentions:
FORTNITE ZERO BUILD - plain stupid fun. easy to get friends on for some rounds. who knew a battle royale would be better if everyone -didn't- have the ability to instantly encase themselves in a 4000hp house infinitely

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Best rear end: Chun Li's rear end

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

extremebuff posted:

GOTY goes to Elden Ring and it's not even close. though the final act of the game funnels into Really Long Dark Souls With Reused Enemies this is the game I've always dreamed of, a true epic LOTR-esque adventure with fantastic combat and exploration. I want DLC

Impy goes to:
Kirby and the Forgotten Land. a perfect modern Kirby game. enough said

Honorable mentions:
FORTNITE ZERO BUILD - plain stupid fun. easy to get friends on for some rounds. who knew a battle royale would be better if everyone -didn't- have the ability to instantly encase themselves in a 4000hp house infinitely

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

lmfao

----------------

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Honourable Mention: Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow
I played Dawn of Sorrow loads as a kid but somehow never got around to this one, it's basically been at the "get around to it" part of my brain for like 20 years. Everyone else already knows this game but unsurprisingly it kicked rear end, definitely one I'll revisit although it was maybe a bit shorter and simpler than I was hoping, it was a great time with some killer artwork.

Honourable Mention: Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 1 + 2
This series is like 12 games in and officially only halfway through and all the games are 100 hours long. I'm going to be playing them for the rest of my life and they're so comfy and cozy that knowing there's always more of them waiting to be played directly lowers my blood pressure by like 10 points. First game is definitely on the too-slow side but it's all buildup for some amazing payoffs in the second, the range of characters and worldbuilding is unreal.

Honourable Mention: Bayonetta 3
I love these games. This is probably the messiest one and god knows what kind of trouble it went through in development. It feels like it's basically on the verge of cracking and falling apart at any moment, but somehow always holds it together (other than the story lol) and delivers probably the best gameplay in the series yet, which means some of the best action gameplay ever made.

Game of the Year: Elden Ring
Probably don't need to add anything that hasn't already been said. This game made me go insane and have both an experience of transcendent joy and an existential crisis about how terrible it could be if my body decays too much to enjoy Elden Ring 2. Still not allowed to think about it too much in case I go bonkers again.

Impy: Cyberpunk 2077
I bounced off this game hard when it came out and ran badly on my shiny new PC but I revisited it alongside everyone else in recent months, and really enjoyed it. CDPR are masters of really human storytelling and quiet moments, and at its best the game combines it with really fun little mini-Deus-Ex levels that offer a wide range of character building and problem solving solutions.

It still kind of runs like poo poo sometimes, including for some reason when I do something taxing like "look at the map screen", and the moment to moment gameplay is at best just functional (gunfights) and at worst utterly abysmal (driving) so it's definitely a flawed one that I can't really recommend to everyone, but it pushes a lot of the right buttons for me and is ultimately just a good time.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Game of the Year Elden Ring

What else needs to be said? FROM has been the best at what they do (and better than everyone else too) for many, many years now. The fact that Sekiro came out as a side project while still working on ER says it all. Not only the best game this year, it may be the best game I've ever played, period. Games like this make me proud to be a gamer.

Best Purchase I made this year that isn't Elden Ring Chun-Li in Fortnite

Best Online Game World of Warcraft Classic

I share a quest called Mother's Milk in every raid that lags everyone and costs us the fight and wipes the entire raid and there is no proof its me and one by one they accuse people and remove people from the guild and replace them and it still happens and now other people do it too and everyone screams and cries on the mic

The Impy The Looker

What if the soulja boy video about braid was a game? That should be enough to make you play this.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

That Little Demon posted:

I share a quest called Mother's Milk in every raid that lags everyone and costs us the fight and wipes the entire raid and there is no proof its me and one by one they accuse people and remove people from the guild and replace them and it still happens and now other people do it too and everyone screams and cries on the mic

lmfao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Impy for post of the year goes to every single non-greyforum one in The Absolute State of AGDQ

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

i played the entire xenoblade chronicles series this summer and it owned, xenoblade chronicles 3 is my game of the year. the culmination of all the xenoblade games, it had the best combat of the bunch. the voice acting was a lot better than 2, and all the characters were really well written and like-able. can't wait for the story DLC

the impy goes to xenoblade chronicles definitive edition. i quit playing it in feb to start elden ring, and when i restarted it in july, it got its hooks into me and i couldn't stop playing, the story kicked rear end.

HM goes to elden ring, it was fine, too many flailing monster bosses with stupid hit boxes. i probably won't play it again but it was worth the experience. wish they'd just make bloodborne 2 or something different like sekiro

another HM goes to lost judgement. yakuza games kick rear end and i'm finally all caught up with the yakuza universe games, so i'm ready for what RGG gives us next year

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Worst Game I Played This Year: Zombies Ate My Neighbors

One of the most dreadful games I ever played. If you got this for christmas as a kid there is a 99% chance your uncle is in prison for life now.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

2022 ismt over yet op

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

hahahaha

----------------

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Best System 2022 Xbox Series X

Worst System 2022 Playstation 5

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

2022 ismt over yet op

video game awards is next week so th years over for me

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Game of the Year: ELDEN RING - Didn't even beat it yet, took a wellness break after mainlining 120 hours in like 2 weeks. Still, like, it's undeniably the GOAT.

Game of Some Other Year: Bloodstained - a lot of games through the years have tried to recapture the magic of SotN, and I think Bloodstained is the only game thus far that has managed to do it. It's cool how much it throws at you and how powerful it allows you to get in the confines of the game. Going from having nothing to maxing out passive shards one after the other is badass.

Game I'm most looking forward to: Dragon Quest Treasures - A 3D exploration monster-catching Dragon Quest game that plays off the plot of XI, basically a game designed to kill me. It comes out on the last day of my semester so I'm gonna get it and celebrate by playing non stop.

Honorable Mentions:

Vampire Survivors - Pure addictive gameplay. It goes to show how good execution of ideas is king of game design, because nothing here is remarkable, but it absolutely stomps similar games with bigger budgets and more ambitious planning simply because, well, it's loving funner that those games.

Supraland: Six Inches Under - I love the Supraland games, they've really created a neat little gameplay niche and it's really rewarding to explore and test the limits of the game and sus out the puzzles. This is a lot better than Supraland: Crash and almost as good as the base game.

Clone Drone in the Danger Zone - Likely you've never heard of this, but you should check it out. Really cool game, kinda reminds me of the arena challenges from Ratchet and Clank but with Chivalry style melee combat instead of guns. Does a lot of cool poo poo and the hard mode in this game will kick your rear end in a really fun way.

Lingo - Ok, this game is pretty amateur, it's a weird word-based Anitchamber-clone, and I only mention it here because I nearly got a loving "World Pioneer" Imp Zone achievement on it. I was the second person ever to 'master' the game and I got my name in the credits as a result. Granted, like, 200 people ever have played it, but still.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

One of the most dreadful games I ever played. If you got this for christmas as a kid there is a 99% chance your uncle is in prison for life now.

Zombies Ate My Balls

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

drat, two years running.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

GOTY: Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - Perfection of the series, insanely fun to explore and find new zones/people, skills, quests, etc. I never got tired of it once over 100 hours. Ironically I can say the same for my next game..

Tha Impy: Elden Ring. Honestly everything I just said is also true here. These 2 games completely railroaded my gaming plans for the year, collectively taking 6 months to beat. What an insane combo of games that couldn't be more different and yet the same.. Beautiful wonderful gaming.

Honourable Mention: Overwatch 2 - 20 dollar pallet swap skins, less maps, completely broken matchmaking, nerfed characters, and f2p model guarantees you will have a widowmaker shooting the ground and dying for 11 minutes. Lmfao

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
GOTY: Elden Ring - Possibly the best game experience of my life. The sense of exploration and discovery was the best I've ever had in a game and I'm so happy I bought an OLED tv primarily to play it. Did 3 playthroughs totally around 200 hrs, and I'm eagerly awaiting the ray tracing patch and the DLC to play it again with the incredible Future Press guides to do a completionist run to get all the achievements, see all the NPC quest lines to the end, and experiment more with the insane number of builds you can do to get through the game

The Impy: The Hitman Trilogy - Stealth games were my favorite type of game for quite some time, and this reboot series of hitman reminded me why. Beautiful levels, incredible level design, and gameplay that is begging to be repeated in different ways. The upcoming rougelike mode looks really interesting and a great way to expand on what IOI have already created, and I'll be redownloading the game when it's available for sure

Honorable Mentions

Teardown - A smash and grab game with fully destructible maps was on my radar while it was in early access and I'm glad I waited till full release to try it. Each map you have an objective to steal certain things and you're giving the freedom to set up your path entrance and exit before you start snatching them. when you do a timer ticks down and you have to get all the primary objectives and get to the exit before times up. A great gameplay loop I don't remember experiencing before, its definitely worth a try

Neon White - Excellent and addictive gameplay, awesome music, horrendous dialog

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

lmfao. this poo poo is what makes mmos truly special

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

The Impos

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Honourable Mention: Overwatch 2 - 20 dollar pallet swap skins, less maps, completely broken matchmaking, nerfed characters, and f2p model guarantees you will have a widowmaker shooting the ground and dying for 11 minutes. Lmfao

hey man, if you play comp youll get that same widow but theyll call you slurs the whole time

----------------

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Vampire Survivors takes the gold.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

lmfao. half of my quest log is garbage quests like this that aren't even completable anymore to share in battlegrounds. 'horde needs iron bars', 'horde needs wool cloth'.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

mbt posted:

lmfao. half of my quest log is garbage quests like this that aren't even completable anymore to share in battlegrounds. 'horde needs iron bars', 'horde needs wool cloth'.

I share Mothers Milk in Wintergrasp and sometimes I share it so much it lags everyone and freezes them in place and we lose within 5 minutes lol

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmfao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

----------------

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

----------------