Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

tmfc posted:

i went to grade school with a kid who played this every day in daycare and it was his favorite game of all time. he ended up being schizoaffective and killed himself a couple years ago

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

kinda-sorta friend at my second grade lunch table loved Bubsy, said he could beat all the levels blindfolded, etc. turns out he had undiagnosed BPD and drove his car into a Bank of America before opening fire killing 4 people and himself. anyways, Stray is the sleeper hit of the season. you can play as a cat

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Worked with a guy we will call Aaron at the newspaper office when I was 18. He would always talk about how much he loved the puzzle solving in Tomb Raider 1 and 2 and we would talk about that a lot. One day he came in and said he killed his brother with an icepick and said I was about "his brothers size" and wanted to know if I wanted his brothers clothes since he wouldn't be needing them anymore. An hour later and after a standoff he jumped headfirst in the the printing press like looney tunes and came out flat as a crepe.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

there was a restaurant a couple blocks away from where i live a few years back called "The Whistling Pig", it was a BBQ joint owned by two brothers. it closed because they got into an argument and stabbed each other and then it became a weird "Italian BBQ" restaurant under a new owner about a year later. also true

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

awards show thread taking an unexpected dark turn...

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

sorry guys i'll bow out now lol didn't mean to derail the thread

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

That Little Demon posted:

Worked with a guy we will call Aaron at the newspaper office when I was 18. He would always talk about how much he loved the puzzle solving in Tomb Raider 1 and 2 and we would talk about that a lot. One day he came in and said he killed his brother with an icepick and said I was about "his brothers size" and wanted to know if I wanted his brothers clothes since he wouldn't be needing them anymore. An hour later and after a standoff he jumped headfirst in the the printing press like looney tunes and came out flat as a crepe.

lmfao

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

sdoj is tite but my rascal tm people mover with with a pallet mover attached is broken so i'm unable to move my 360 [already on a pallet, use dd a crane to put it there, natch] to a location closer to either a tv or monitor to ever play sdoj again, at least without a length warranty process w/ rascal tm brand people movers. or by causing grevious harm to myself

Lmfao

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

tmfc posted:

i went to grade school with a kid who played this every day in daycare and it was his favorite game of all time. he ended up being schizoaffective and killed himself a couple years ago

Lol, M. Night Shamhmalhan's MOvie 'Imp'
a poster believes in a reality where he had a childhood friend who killed himself in a schizophrenic fit, only to find out who REALLY gamed on Zombies Ate My Neighbors every day at day care

----------------

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ah poo poo game club goty is a good category

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

insane anime posted:

a poster believes in a reality where he had a childhood friend who killed himself in a schizophrenic fit, only to find out who REALLY gamed on Zombies Ate My Neighbors every day at day care

lol

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Mom and dad crying because theres a kid sitting in front of a TV with two controllers. One for himself, and another with no player 2. Can be heard proving armchair psychiatric day car help

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

insane anime posted:

Mom and dad crying because theres a kid sitting in front of a TV with two controllers. One for himself, and another with no player 2. Can be heard proving armchair psychiatric day car help and zombie grunts play thru the tv

----------------

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

i meant to edit this but empty quoted myself. I guess In the end I was the schizophrenic Lol. Pretty loving wild that this thread had 2 twists.

----------------

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

insane anime posted:

insane anime posted:

i meant to edit this but empty quoted myself. I guess In the end I was the schizophrenic Lol. Pretty loving wild that this thread had 2 twists.

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

insane anime posted:

insane anime posted:

Lmao

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
goty: elden ring, no question about it. the king, the champion.

as far as past games go that I actually beat: cyberpunk. pretty fun FPSRPG held back by terrible marketing and a useless open world that is basically only there for aesthetics. still, it's a good FPSRPG, although not quite to like system shock or Deus ex levels.

as for ones I didn't beat (yet) death stranding takes the cake for sure. it's rare to be able to feel like every inch of a game was hand tailored, especially in an open world game, but this one does.

indie game of the year: vampire survivors 200% lol. awesome game.

----------------

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

My IZGC pick is obviously still Dragon Quest :coolslime:

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

insane anime posted:

insane anime posted:

Mom and dad crying because theres a kid sitting in front of a TV with two controllers. One for himself, and another with no player 2. Can be heard proving armchair psychiatric day car help

lmao

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

insane anime posted:

lmao

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

insane anime posted:

insane anime posted:

lmao

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

symbolic posted:

kinda-sorta friend at my second grade lunch table loved Bubsy, said he could beat all the levels blindfolded, etc. turns out he had undiagnosed BPD and drove his car into a Bank of America before opening fire killing 4 people and himself. anyways, Stray is the sleeper hit of the season. you can play as a cat

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

insane anime posted:

insane anime posted:

lmfao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

couple more awards cuz previous posts gave me ideaas

Biggest surprise: The Looker
echoing the fact that it's just fuckin hilarious, especially as someone who's played through most of the Witness before

Biggest disappointment: Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
i should've let it stay in my childhood memories. Crash levels feel a lot more repetitive than 1&2+the Coco levels suck

Worst game: DOOM SNES
i didnt beat it but im still counting it because jesus christ

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I can almost guarantee The Looker is some cringe rear end Gamer Humour that you all will blacklist within 2 years time

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

British AI Voice: Now, remove your foreskin. *can barely hold back a chuckle* Andrew Tate was done dirty.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I can almost guarantee The Looker is some cringe rear end Gamer Humour that you all will blacklist within 2 years time

only one way to confirm it for yourself OP

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

symbolic posted:

only one way to confirm it for yourself OP

i already know who's right

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

its really not. its a specific critique of up your rear end huffing farts pretentious indie games (mostly a critique of Johnathan Blow tbh) that is free, well made, and doesn't overstay its welcome. It's funny in a way that isn't Gamer Humour lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

British AI Voice: Now, remove your foreskin. *can barely hold back a chuckle* Andrew Tate was done dirty.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

its really not. its a specific critique of up your rear end huffing farts pretentious indie games (mostly a critique of Johnathan Blow tbh) that is free, well made, and doesn't overstay its welcome. It's funny in a way that isn't Gamer Humour lol

it is tho, lol

quote this in 2 years when everyone pretends to not find the lamest GBS poo poo ever funny

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

This was the year of the deck builder for me so it's got to be Slay the Spire , I went hard climbing ascensions and it just got better the further I went.

Honorable mention- Monster Train , it's not as good as Spire but there was still an awful lot to dig into with all the clan combos to master.

Biggest run-based deck Turd Peglin- maybe, hopefully, they'll fix it someday but the early access version I played was rear end. An already simple game balanced in a more or less spiteful way that reduces your options as you go deeper instead of opening them up.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Game of the Year - Elden Ring - Just a joy to explore. I more or less mainlined this game for 2 straight weeks. Can't wait to replay it on my new PC.

Impy - Bayonetta 3 - Everything I wanted and more out of a new Bayo game. I still have so much I want to do in this game, but game club has me distracted.

Best Multiplayer Game - Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak - Just phenomenal. I've been addicted for months. This may end up being my 999 Hunter Rank Monster Hunter Game.

Best Replay - Metal Gear Solid 1 - I got a new love and appreciation for this game during Metal Gear July. It's nearly perfect, and VR Missions were sick too. It's hard not to pick almost all of MG July for this category though, lol

IZGC Favorite (non replay) - Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom - Yeah it was my pick but I loving loved this game.

more to come for sure

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

lmao

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i played the looker after reading all the posts here. it was ok

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

not as funny as some of the poo poo hizke says about cum every day.

Uncle Frank
May 28, 2021

not a lot of people get the chance to seriously yell "stop the presses!" and mean it like this. Hope you took it

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

b_d posted:

not as funny as some of the poo poo hizke says about cum every day.

Nothing is as funny as the imp zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I rarely play anything from the current year, so no point doing that one.

Best Game I Played this Year - The Last of Us II: I really liked the first game and this improved on it in every way pretty much. The levels were massive and sprawling and were really interesting to explore. The stealth is perfect imo and is more enjoyable than a lot of purely stealth games. You can lose enemies but they stay looking for you in broad sweeps instead of saying "oh the wind" after watching you crush their pal's head with a brick. But it also doesn't feel like they always know where you are once you break stealth. The mechanics of how the hiding and how visibility works etc. is great too. Enjoyed the story a lot too even though it was quite sad.

Impy - Disco Elysium: I could have given this to TLOU also but gotta give some love to Disco. Took a few tries to stick with this one but really glad I did. Incredibly funny and good writing, not just for a game just generally. Easily the best written game I've played. Was a bit disappointed that certain stuff always happened regardless of the extra stuff you did or checks you passed. Over all thought a great experience and I really enjoyed my time with it. Definitely a really unique feeling game and it's a shame the creators were forced out of their company for the sequel.

Honourable Mentions:

Returnal: Went in expecting this to be a fine 3D rogue shooter but ended up liking it a lot more than that. The 3D arcade bullet hell style shooter isn't something I'm familiar with or was expecting so that made the combat super fun. You were able to move fast and had good movement abilities with the two dashes as well as the grapple and so on. So combat rooms felt fun and frenetic The story was also really well in sync and engrained in the gameplay and what you were doing in each biome. I certain that they must have had the story idea before the gameplay because it felt like such an essential element of the experience but apparently not. Need to play the new expansion and co-op mode some time.

Pyschonauts 2: A really good sequel that really doesn't feel like any time passed at all between making the first game and now. It's definitely more polished and is a lot more cautious in laughing at mentalists though. Lots of super creative and fun worlds though and the gameplay is much more polished even if it never reaches the heights of stuff like the milkman conspiracy.

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!