Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Dead Goon posted:

I like the carols from Kings.

I also end up listening to an enormous amount of Arvo Pärt at this time of year too.

Bit of an insensitive username given recent events :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Mebh posted:

You all would enjoy the short story The Wages of Humanity by Liu Cixin.

Oh hell yeah I’ll get on this.

I’d highly recommend his flagship series, starting with The Three Body Problem. It’s the best sci-fi series I’ve ever read and honestly it’s not even close. They’re making a tv show of it (two actually, and an animated one) and I have zero clue how they’re going to visually represent some of the stuff that goes down

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I actually agree with that article about Sunak. Hate the guy obviously but I spend a lot of time with homeless people for various reasons and they hate more than anything being patronised or talked to like this is their life forever, or indeed any differently to a housed person. Sunak actually handled that well in my more-experienced-with-this-sort-of-thing-than-most opinion, particularly bearing in mind that the alternatives are generally abject pity and barely concealed disgust, which are both equally as humiliating.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

TBH my biggest issue with the article is it cuts out the part of the exchange where Sunak tries to hide what his job in the finance industry was, and the homeless guy pointedly states it to make Sunak admit his previous company and position.

You know, the main part of the exchange where Sunak was not being honest with the person he was talking to.

Yeah that was scummy. I'd probably also not use my platform as a journalist to post a pro-Sunak article in a major paper even if I did have reservations about how a lot of people on my side were reacting to it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Man Total Annihilation was (is) a loving amazing game. The music, the robots, the projectile based fighting. Air, land, sea, artillery, missiles, nukes, radar, shield gens, the opening cinematic, THE GROGOTH HNNNNNGGGGG

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Never played it but I did have TA:Kingdoms which also slapped. Absolutely lovely manual, too.

Do yourself a favour and pick it up - TA kingdoms does slap but it's not even a shadow of the game TA is.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Scientastic posted:

I quite enjoy playing video games, and this entire difficulty/accessibility conversation just makes me want to scream “NEEEEEERDS!”

Games are supposed to be fun, if people aren’t having fun because they’re too difficult, they should be able to make them easier. It in no way impacts your personal experience if other people can make the game easier, unless you are so insecure that you can’t bear the idea of other people “achieving” things more easily than you did.

As someone said up page, it does change the experience even having the option. For most games I agree, but if we take the idea that all games must be accessible to everyone, then you’re saying that a game which has that ‘there is no other way past this than just fuckin winning’ (which as said IS a different experience to having a difficulty slider) simply cannot be allowed to exist.

I definitely think that it’s good when games include accessibility stuff, but again no artist owes you their work. Many things are by definition non-inclusive but thankfully there are lots of other things. I’m dyspraxic and cannot catch a ball to save my life, so I simply don’t do activities which require catching skills and do other stuff instead.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

That is an absolutely nonsense comparason on a lot of levels though, you can still experience 2001 even if you're not big brained to get exactly what the filmmaker wanted you to because its a passive medium. It will still create an emotional response. The ending of dark souls isn't getting any kind of response from someone who couldn't get past the second level or whatever.

This is also ignoring the fact that these aren't just pure experiential artworks too, they're entertainment products. If i paid 60 quid for a game and i couldn't get anywhere in it that would suck a lot.

You're right the conversation always gets nasty on this subject, but i don't see why the side thats been telling a disabled person its good and right they shouldn't be included for like 5 pages is only just coming to that conclusion.

When i say games should let players of all skill levels experience them i'm not enforcing my facist art will on poor auteur game artists, the consequence of games not doing that just means i think they are badly designed and short sighted.

I think it’s that last bit people are disagreeing with. Accessibility is good and the more of it the better, but there’s some stuff some people can’t do and that’s… fine?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

And those Cupra EVs seemed really popular when I was in Barcelona over the summer. Or at least, they were being advertised to gently caress. The music festival I was at had a big Cupra stage

What's up Primavera pal

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

:respek: stay hydrated!

Easier said than done with the queues!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
The shove at the end is incredible

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
In my head a lot of you live in the London commuter belt and I happen to be in a town near high Wycombe for the week so if anyone is in the area and fancies an evening drink, let me know.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Lady Gaza posted:

Goondolences

Thank you. I’ve ended up buying a copy of the loving new statesman because I forgot to bring my book of Cixin Liu short stories. What a sham

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Personally my happiness has gone from what I thought was normal to very high since I went self-employed. I say thought was normal because I realised once I got to my current state I’d actually just not been happy for 10 years. I work more but it’s varied and is entirely decided by what I think needs doing. Actually having control over your own life back is the best feeling in the world. I realise I’m privileged in being about to do it but If it’s something you’ve pondered and you have the resources, I couldn’t recommend it enough.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Mourning Due posted:

What's your industry, if you don't mind sharing it here?

Video production and editing. It isn’t cheap to get started but it is cheaper than it used to be if you’re smart.

E: oh god what is happening

E2: if anyone’s thinking about it feel free to drop a pm

E3: VIDEOGRAPHY

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 23, 2023

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/POLITlCSUK/status/1618293772181274624

I'm always amazed that MP's used public transport. Feels like one man berating you for murdering thousands of people is getting off lightly.

Unfortunately he isn't berating him for murdering thousands of people, he's berating him for locking us down and not murdering more.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I once saw IDS on the tube and told him he was a murderer with blood on his hands. Didn't even flinch. Now that's a politician who's used to getting poo poo on in public.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
All Quiet on the Wank Front
West Side Wank
My Sister’s Wank
North by North Wank
Wanking John Malkovich
Being John Wank
Wank Angry

And the piece de resistance…

12 Angry Wanks

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

mrpwase posted:

Either All Quiet on the Western Wank, or ignore the rules and go for Quiet Wank on the Western Front :colbert:

All Wank on the Western Front is quite good as well. I imagine it’s an order from high command

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

EmptyVessel posted:

No idea if anyone else has piled on.
Only answering this because it deserved a reply.

I was not sniping at others. That throw away line was basically thinking aloud. I was not parading you around. I was genuinely grateful to be engaged with and challenged. I strive to improve but can't learn anything if simply told to gently caress off and stew in my own juice.
I absolutely do not think that everyone here is a closed-minded idiot. The vast majority are interesting and/or funny and cool.

Yes, overly simplistic and absolutely wrong if presented as an academic thesis or serious point of debate.
No one else here ever posts in overly simplistic broad-brush terms?
Again, I'd explicitly identified the statement as pedantic quibbling. Not serious argument.

FFS.
So you ignored my "E; Correcting my loving stupid incorrect use of terminology. Godammit!
Left as struck to expose my shame. gently caress, I'm sorry. " then.
It was a very stupid, and very bad error on my part that I was absolutely mortified at when I saw it. I corrected it, without trying to hide my shame, and apologised.
Back in the 80s most people used transexual not transgender - see "Man Enough To Be A Woman" and then Wayne later Jayne County's lyric "I've got a transexual feeling". Take it up with her. I'd love to hear her reply. I was simply defaulting to how we talked back then.
Again, I.Am.loving.Sorry.
I obviously know that you are fully aware of the differences between transvestite and transgender. Hence the use of the smiley.

Okay and acknowledged. I will strive to consider better ways of expressing the point in the unlikely case that I ever return to it elsewhere.
I genuinely do not think in terms of vertical heirarchies, I only acknowledge horizontal ranges of difference with no sense of implicit superiority of one over another. Obviously I cannot communicate this well so I wont try.

I nowhere said that I was discussing a representative sample. I like everyone can only speak to my own experience. I doubt anyone not actively researching or campaigning in this area, or any other, could claim to have deep personal knowledge of a fully representative sample of cases. You are entirely free to disagree, and you may very well have such knowledge.

I do not see it as patronising to point out that the historical situation is not the current situation. To think otherwise is mind boggling. I wish Sleazy was still alive so he could weigh in on your criticism of his view.
Trans experience was absolutely different back in the past.
See Wendy Carlos's comment on coming out: "The public turned out to be amazingly tolerant or, if you wish, indifferent [...] There had never been any need of this charade to have taken place. It had proven a monstrous waste of years of my life."
I am sure you would agree that that is not the even close to the horror of trans experience these days.

Yeah, I was feeling overly attacked and dismissed and misspoke. Sorry.

Re: Josef bugman taking me to task for using "Correct Thought" this is a term that I never ever use and first encountered in widespread (if possibly ironic) use in previous incarnations of this very thread. It always made me uncomfortable tbh. Thought the scarequotes would have made clear that I was not using it seriously. Oh well.
gently caress me and the horse I rode in on, I guess. *jk*
Re: It's your job to edit down posts to easily digestable word-nuggets.
Oh I did spend hours...

Apologies again for my patently shoddy attempts at a discussion.
This is an area that I have very strong feelings about and I hurt for all those currently suffering the cruel and unusual treatment that seems to have become socially acceptable. The internet as a vector for utterly barbaric abuse is a horrible, horrible thing that I certainly don't fully appreciate because I'm old and I do not Twitter or the like. Even if I did I would not be a target. My secondhand awareness is clearly not enough - my daughter has shared her personal experiences of online and real world abuse - but a spectator can never truly understand the full pain. I know that much of my thinking is necessarily not up-to-date and genuinely want to improve. I can but try.

I'll not bother the thread again.
I still love you all unconditionally.
Good luck and god bless.
And out.

I enjoyed your posts, don’t leave!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

While the sentiment in this thread is understandable, you've also got to remember that the majority of people in this country are poo poo cunts, probably abuse their dogs and are absolutely a danger when out and about.

Lol

Imo people should grow up and stop being afraid of dogs

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Well it seems the people who need to grow up and stop being scared of dogs also need to grow up and learn to take a joke!!!!!!

No really though I was only joking, people obviously should train their dogs properly. I do find it odd the whole 'ANY dog can turn at ANY moment and become a vicious killer' sentiment though. Maybe it's true but I've been around dogs my entire life and not once have I seen a normally docile and friendly dog attack someone randomly. I think when it does happens, that dog probably isn't as friendly as its owner likes to think.

Anyway, dog tax, and apologies to anyone I offended. Lexi (Chocolate), Peanut (Blondie), Kingsley (Fox). They are the best.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Freudian posted:

It makes the assumption that both Ukraine and Russia are monolithic blocs that can be reduced to simple personas, "bully" and "victim", when obviously this isn't true and there are a variety of viewpoints and actors on both sides, like anti-war Russians and the various Nazis in the Ukrainian military. Life isn't a political cartoon, Russians aren't a single mass of Asiatic orcs, and Ukraine doesn't consist entirely of sad-eyed refugees or heroic defenders of liberty out of a WW2 propaganda poster. Nuance exists.

Yes but I’ve met very few Ukrainians who like the thought of rolling over and being conquered by the Russian state because Russia isn’t a monolith. Like everyone knows what you and namesake are saying, we just think it’s daft and you’d be openly laughed at by every Ukrainian I’ve ever spoke to about this (a lot). Like i hate the British state and all but if the EU became (more of) a kleptocratic, geopolitically aggressive body with strong views on LGBT people, people of colour and, well, most things that aren’t straight cis white fellas with big muscles, and then invaded the UK, I’d be joining up to defend us. Not because I think all Europeans are orcs or Britain is a nation of glorious heroes whose benevolent state needs defending, but because ultimately it’s still where I and most of the people I know live and I wouldn’t want them to get brutalised by an oppressive foreign regime. I don’t see why this is so hard to understand.

In before ‘it’s already under a brutal regime’ yes I know that but as bad as the UK is the military isn’t regularly raping and torturing it’s way through Scunthorpe. Likewise the Ukrainian state, for all its flaws, is going to be much less unpleasant to live under for most Ukrainians than the Russian one.

I don’t know, I just don’t see how people get by seeing everything through the lens of political theory. Sometimes it’s as simple as ‘oh poo poo there’s some people trying to invade and kill us, better stop them!’

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Angepain posted:

I've just used my alternative universe machine to look up the exact effect that the various butterfly effects stemming from different uk leadership from 2019 would have on the russian invasion of ukraine, but i got distracted by the range of toppings available at the local nationalised sausage stand and forgot to check the news while I was there, sorry

They’ve put JAM on HOT DOGS????

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Freudian posted:

I didn't think I was arguing that Ukrainians are calling for peace with Russia, I thought I was saying that things are more complicated than reducing nation states to the kind of political cartoon world where organisations are represented by stereotyped people with helpful labels to tell you who's good and who's bad.

Apologies, this was a general reply to the ‘ending the war at any cost should be priority 1’ crowd

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah, definitely can’t disagree with you that a revolution would be the best outcome here but unfortunately i’m doubtful! Given that I really do think that more support to Ukraine would be a good thing ultimately as it would help end the war quicker and with a more favourable outcome for Ukraine, including (particularly?) the Ukrainian working class.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I think you can certainly argue that Russia needs to be put under a certain amount of pressure in order for it to start taking negotiations seriously. The question is whether there are better, less dangerous ways to apply sufficiently meaningful pressure than 'gently caress it, let's give a bunch of neo-Nazis our most advanced weaponry and training, I'm sure this won't backfire like it did all the other times we tried this'.

Could we not conflate the general Ukrainian military force with neo-Nazis? There is that contingent and sadly some of their most elite troops are Nazis but there are a lot of decent people being supplied with weapons to defend their homes and they don’t deserve to be lumped in with Azov. Especially when Russia has far more Nazis.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I'll stop conflating them when the people training and arming them enact a basic goddamned filtering process rather than using them for publicity and celebrating them as heroes. Until then, we're in the queue for the world's most predictable trained, organised upsurge of far-right violence in the next few years because the powers that be decided that a fascist invasion could be more effectively countered by arming more fash rather than weaning themselves off the fossil fuels (and money-laundering services) that are paying for it.

This is a total straw man. No one (we’ll probably someone but not many people) is (are) saying all glory to the Nazis. Again you’re conflating the Ukrainian military force, including until-recently civilians, with nazis. Yes we all know there’s a fash element, it sucks, and when they’ve been key players (Mariupol) there has been some uncomfortable veneration of their most prominent unit for their role.

But you can absolutely gently caress off with this ‘arming Ukrainians = arming fash’ bullshit you absolute oval office.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
D&D is totally unreadable, unlike C-SPAM where everyone is Very Normal and doesn’t at all have a massive boner for Putin

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I'm just extremely against anything that encourages me to waste my life mindlessly scrolling for dopamine hits.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
It’s unfortunate that I do think Anderson is a decent reflection of a very decent (numerically, and in no other way) share of British people. If we want democracy to represent the views of the country then he’s actually a sensible option. Why that is is a different issue, and one that I’m not sure we’ve managed to articulate a good answer for. In any case, what a oval office.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
You’re both dead on of course. I was talking in a bit of a ‘democracy in a vacuum’ sense I guess. My Slovak friend I’m visiting thinks we should institute tests to make sure that smarter people have more voting power. He wasn’t sure what to do with the fact that in the UK at least lots of the most educated people are loving arseholes. We couldn’t nail down what an arsehole test would look like.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

feedmegin posted:

The American South did exactly this, in theory. Turns out that's a good way to disenfranchise anyone whose skin colour you don't like.

Yeah, he isn’t the most developed political thinker.

Lol @ Forstater. You’d think if you were regularly being kicked off platforms you’d realise you’re the baddies

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson, imo the best sketch show ever made by a wide margin. It is absolutely loving hilarious and I couldn’t recommend it enough.

I found out about it from jazz legend Marcus ‘The Worm’ Hicks when he was on the Colgate Comedy Hour.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
To come back to the optimism conversation - I’m certainly not optimistic and don’t think we really have much of a chance. On the other hand people have felt that way throughout history and overcame all the odds. History happens slowly, then all at once.

And gently caress it, I might not be optimistic but I’d rather we went down with some fire in our eyes, kicking and screaming and biting. Remember that doomerism is what they want and countering that in yourself is a victory in itself.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

The difference is that with climate change, we now have a set time limit for when we can put the needed changes in. And we’re out of time

Yeah that’s true. Kicking and biting it is then I suppose

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
If I were to hypothetically stand in the next election as a no hope independent would that mean I’d get to talk to all the other candidates in my area on a big stage. I’d enjoy that just to absolutely loving ruin the Labour and Tory candidates days.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
This is what pisses me off about the mega wealthy. If I was rich the depravity and wild ambition of my ideas would go down in history. I’d be having coke fuelled orgies in space, inventing new psychedelics, going to cities and declaring everyone’s drinks on me for the night, commission a loving personal mech suit, skydive on Buckingham palace because gently caress you I’ll pay my way out of it. I’d have a pet loving bear. I’d learn to kitesurf and do all that poo poo. I’d build a submarine to rival James Cameron. That would just be the start.

gently caress, wealth is wasted on these boring cunts

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I dunno what to tell ya Forkboy, symbolism is good and rallies people’s spirits sometimes. It’s a show of visible support to a group of people who are largely very scared and nervous about the future at the moment. Seems good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Rustybear posted:

100%

if you've ever tried to live on british seasonal veg it's the beetroot that will break you in the end. turnip and swede are the highlights

have to say i dont get the vitriol on this, we should be trying to eat more regional and seasonal veg? tomatos are water intensive with comparatively low nutitional value and bussing fresh toms thousands of miles so you can take them out of a sandwich and put them in the bin is complete insanity. lettuce is even worse

tomato paste and tins for sauces will keep over winter, we can manage a few months eating different fresh veg.

It’s not so much that it’s bad to eat seasonally, it’s that it’s bad when the government response to the food shortages caused by their own project is ‘eat turnips then plebs’.