Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
My wife's Welsh and turned me onto https://www.penderyn.wales/ , REALLY nice. Very light in colour, not peaty/smokey if that's your thing, just genuinely high quality whisky IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

ThomasPaine posted:

A friend who is much more into whisky than me got a bottle of this with high hopes and said it was very grim and he was extremely disappointed.

😮 Dang, that's a shame!

No dig on your mate: As I've gotten older, I've finally come to terms with the fact that if I like something subjectively, and others don't: that's totally fine for both of us. I used to feel like, if I like thing X of category Y and a connoisseur of category Y hates thing X: then I must not be properly versed in category Y and should stop enjoying thing X.

Now I feel like I'm in a much happier mindset, just realising that everyone's tastes are different, and if I, for example, prefer Vanilla Coke (full fat) to regular Coke, and other people find it far too sweet: good on us both!

I've tried supposedly "excellent" champagne, that to me smelled of parmesan cheese with a whiff of fish. Others can like that to, but for me, not to my taste.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

What a parade of absolute fools..

While I agree with the poster who said these vox pops always try to find the worst of the worst: people like this are the majority on this crooked Isle, and that's why we've been as hosed as we have been for the past 12+ years. They do at least generally keep it bottled up, but give them a platform and out it comes. Completely thoughtless parroting of other people's terrible opinions and catchphrases.

I work with a woman who would fit in well with this bunch. It makes no sense to me: she is a happy, generous woman, who works with clients all over the world helping them get set up on our software. Seems so pleasant, but if the conversation turns to politics it's:

"The reason Brexit is a good thing is you have Europeans coming over here and clogging up our hospitals!"
"This used to be a nation of strivers, not shirkers!"
"Boris Johnson knows what's best for our country, he'll sort everyone out, he's no nonsense!"

And like...she WEPT at the leaving party of one of our Spanish colleagues who quit & moved home after Brexit, begging him not to go. She has all sorts of health issues, praises the NHS and the staff she encounters from other countries. But she has these idiotic talking points embedded, and it's nigh-impossible to get them out.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

Love how it's "give up your fight" to stand up to Putin, and not "we will properly pay and support our healthcare workers" to stand up to Putin.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

Microplastics posted:

I can't tell you how little I wanted to open a god drat pdf just to read what the royal mail are saying but I did it and here it is

Had a look on old Simon's LinkedIn: another one who was in on the grift.

What a prick.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
My wife & I are having our first long vacation (two weeks back with my family in Canada) since getting a cat, and I have to ask:

How do people cope? 😭 Feel like we're abandoning her. We've got a local pet sitter coming in 2x a day to feed her, the neighbours have agreed to stop in every night to play with her, and one of my wife's colleagues is going to come live & work from the house 18-21st and 23-27th...

But we still feel like we're doing something awful leaving her here like this. We spend so much time together, worried she'll get lonely without at least one of us here.

Going to just get on with it, 2 weeks is a short time and everything will be fine. But still feels like the height of cruelty to not be able to tell her what's happening 😆

Cat tax: her right now, curled up on our bed, where she likes to sleep if we're in it.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

forkboy84 posted:

It's stupid liberal ivory tower bullshit that can't see the forest for the trees. "Person who engages in sex work" is far too long-winded to ever catch on when people tend to use much shorter (& more insulting) terms for sex workers. My job title was "call centre operator", that doesn't define me, it defines my job. These idiots at Stanford (which, let's be fair, is a hive of right wing libertarian fuckwittery & their academics would do better addressing that than policing language in the most "parody of a centrist scholar whose only interaction with real people is when they hire a new cleaner for their place) proposed that I be called "a person who engages with call centre work" I'd call them stupid cunts.

Don't get me wrong, I get that language impacts how we think, & even if it didn't you just shouldn't casually use language that demeans others (obviously I'm not against demeaning others when they deserve it). But gently caress me, "don't use this well known aphorism because it encourages violence against animals"? gently caress off. And the trigger warning/content note thing, surely what causes the stress in the reader is the knowledge that something that could remind you of trauma is coming up & you have to skip over it, rather than the particular wording used to warn that content is coming up?

And that bit about bravery is just the most hokum bollocks. I hate liberals so much. I suppose to be fair I'd like to see this in the original context rather than filtered through the Daily Mail's lens of bigotry but worrying about petty poo poo like this just reeks of liberals desperate to ignore the material reasons things are hosed, because hey, doesn't impact them, whereas the coarse poors talks in metaphor about killing birds with a stone somehow does.

Someone at my work said "feed two birds with one seed" a while back and I've started using it 🐥🐥

We've also had an informal request to try and use allowlist and denylist instead of whitelist and blacklist.

I'm on the fence with this stuff. It can get ott, but if I can take an action to not use language that bothers people, it's no skin off my rear end. Like, I definitely used the phrase r*tard up until about the mid-2000s, and I don't bemoan the fact that I shouldn't/don't say it any more. And I used the word "lame" to mean disappointing or bad until recently when someone pointed out the connotation, so I stopped.

I do agree that replacing a short phrase with a less-zippy one is never going to work. "Person who is experiencing homelessness" is never going to compete with "homeless person" or sadly "bum".

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
Merry Christmas you lovely goons! I genuinely like all of you more than the average person on the street

Just remembered https://betamaxmas.com/, going to give that a watch later

Overdid it on https://www.nigella.com/recipes/poinsettia yesterday, very tender today

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
gently caress...So I've been getting letters from Thames water essentially weekly about getting a water meter installed. Nothing that says I HAD to get one, but it was annoying enough that eventually I said gently caress it, fine, come install the thing.

They installed it on Monday, and yesterday when I had to go into the cupboard where the meter is for the first time: water leaking out of all the pipes where they connect to the meter 😑 so the carpet in there is all water damaged, which I'm sure they won't pay out to replace. They're supposed to come out sometime this week.

If they tell you that you need one, tell them to gently caress off, and if they DO install one, check it regularly for the first week.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

Ah yes, just what I want to do when having health problems: have to make complicated, literal life or death choices about my health care. Yes, I'll be in the perfect state of mind to make choices then.

I hate the tyranny of choice so much. I don't really give a gently caress who my pet insurer is, or my travel insurer, or my energy provider or internet provider or credit card provider. I don't want to him and haw about minute differences to get a smidge better deal. My time is my most valuable resource, wasting it making stupid choices is not the way to spend it!

EDIT: actually, what I WOULD love is a service that just decides all this poo poo for me. Is there anyone out there offering that? To once a year, look at your current plans & see if there's anything better? Automatically, rather than having to manually go through gocompare or something.

Mourning Due fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 10, 2023

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yep, that's it:

Thank you for reminding me why I have never got more than a couple pages into this book, gently caress me what a boring chore of a read 😆

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
I find this a v interesting topic.

I have had times in my current company (software) where I LOVED what I was doing. I would be so engrossed in the work I was doing that the company didn't need to implement "crunch time" or anything, I just found the work incredibly rewarding and satisfying. I got the same enjoyment that I do out of doing Sudoku or jigsaw puzzles, but was getting paid for it.

I've been here 7 years tho and my role has become much more managerial. The people who report to me are great but my workload is such that I can't do any sort of decent coaching or anything with them. I feel like I spend half my week in meetings just asking people what work they're doing, and the only reason I do that is so I can spend the OTHER half of my week talking to my boss about what the teams doing. I much prefer doing things instead of just regurgitating.

I have a bunch of thoughts around businesses I'd like to look into starting, but I spend so much of my day working that when I'm off I just want to do nothing. Over Christmas I had a solid three weeks free, and really felt like I could focus on what I want out of life. Since the moment I got back though, I've gone from drawing up prototypes on my spare time to watching Diddy Kong Racing videos on YouTube 😆

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

Jakabite posted:

Personally my happiness has gone from what I thought was normal to very high since I went self-employed. I say thought was normal because I realised once I got to my current state I’d actually just not been happy for 10 years. I work more but it’s varied and is entirely decided by what I think needs doing. Actually having control over your own life back is the best feeling in the world. I realise I’m privileged in being about to do it but If it’s something you’ve pondered and you have the resources, I couldn’t recommend it enough.

What's your industry, if you don't mind sharing it here?

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
Re office pod chat:

My company recently switched to using WeWork, and what a ballache.

We used to work with a single large open plan office building, which was ok. If people said they were going into the office you'd know where they meant, you could go in any time, and while the noise wasnt great we could usually accomplish whatever we'd gone in to do.

Now with WeWork, by far the biggest problem:

All I need is a desk, with a power point, where I can take calls. They all seem to have either:

Communal working space. Desks with power points, but they're all classed as quiet zones, so you can't take calls.

Lunch room. Desks with power points, and you can technically be loud on calls, but everyone's loud & eating lunch. Plus you get bad looks for taking up limited eating space for work.

Private pods: desk, quiet enough to take calls, but only have USB power points, so can't charge a laptop. After 2-3 calls in a row, need to find somewhere to plug in.

Look at this poo poo. All I want is a cubicle you fuckers! I guess if I went in every day & wanted to stay until like 10pm with my co-workers because I love my job SO MUCH then maybe some of this rubbish would be useful, but most of it closes at 5 anyway.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

History Comes Inside! posted:

My wife bought a box of broken biscuits the other week that were somehow 90% variations on chocolate coated whatevers, including multiple full sized chocolate biscuit bar things of some variety including a few with caramel in them.

Should have bought a lottery ticket at the same time.

My mom's first job was at a Broken Biscuit counter, and I wish they still existed. Someone please prove me wrong.

RE biscuits: I'm in a folk music choir, and one of the highlights is every week they bust out an assortment of 5+ packets of biscuits and a whopper urn of tea. At home, I love malted milks, rich teas, digestives, choco Leibnitz, and emergency Biscoffs. My favourite of all are bird's nests/jam sandwich biscuits. NOT Jammy Dodgers, they have to have the cream. I am also a big fan of Nice biscuits, as I like what the coconut does to the flavour of the tea.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

NotJustANumber99 posted:

im sorry to hear this if theres anything i can do to help please dont hesitate to ask

It's actually great! A really good hearted bunch of people.

https://youtu.be/QydAe5L-UXA love tunes like this, and https://youtu.be/0Fl9KpvPitI

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

forkboy84 posted:

And yet I bet the residents of Grenfell earned sub £70k.

Westminster City Council has a poverty rate of about 35% lol

That's something I was surprised about recently: finding out that rents at Grenfell ranged up to £2000+ per month. Surprised, as I thought it was purely low income for some reason.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

MeinPanzer posted:

As a foreigner I find Irn Bru to be OK--it's certainly not to my tastes, but also not actively offensive--but it is remarkable how much Scots genuinely love it. Haggis tastes good though.

And calling Sprite/7UP "lemonade" is like 145th down on the list of "you call X thing Y? Then what's your word for X?" moments non-British English speakers experience when in the UK.

Pants -> trousers has to be in contention for top 10

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

Tarnop posted:

Owly and Desperate Dan and others that I'm forgetting right now post a lot of nice photos from walks and stuff and I always think "I should get out and do more walking" and then never do. Part of that is because I've been very out of shape for a long time but I've lost a fair bit of weight recently and am enjoying just being able to move around more easily so I'd like to make the most of that.

In particular I'd like to find cool woods and forests where you can go walking but my attempts at searching for stuff like this online have been largely unsuccessful. What's the best way to find out about nature trails and stuff near me? There's loads of fields around here with walking routes through them but I find walking across fields boring.

Not sure where you're at Tarnop, but if you're around London/the South East, my wife & I have been doing these for years: https://www.walkingclub.org.uk/

It's really nice, you can either do one by yourself any time, or you can join the main group on a Saturday if you'd be more comfortable with a group. It's an older crowd but they're very pleasant, or at least they were the one time we went with the group.

Can highly recommend the Gomshall to Guildford walk, the New Forest one, the Otford circular, three main one through Pluckley, and many others. The pubs you end up at for lunch are generally amazing as well.

We'll be doing the Windsor one in April to see the deer in the great park.

e. Ah, Halifax. Can't help you there. But will leave up for other Londoners!

Mourning Due fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*

I really, really, really hate this fucker.

I always expect Tories to be useless pieces of poo poo, that's par for the course.

But his clout chasing, and clear absolute love for himself, turns my stomach in a unique way. Don't know how someone hasn't killed him already.