Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

Jameson's was set up by a Scottish Presbyterian failson who hated the Irish and invented a new kind of still head because he was convinced that his workers were stealing whiskey and replacing it with other fluids.

It worked pretty well though, even to this day most batches of Jameson's whiskey are less than 15% piss.

Fun fact (RIP Twisto): Guglielmo Marconi was his great grandson.

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Failed Imagineer posted:

Storing all my political capital on the blockchain to keep myself transparent and accountable

Political capital is stored in the Ed Balls

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Failed Imagineer posted:

Brown lemonade is fine but inferior to its cousin, red lemonade. And both are put in the ha'penny place by the King Of Carbonation, Tanora

For reasons that completely eluded me until now I was handed a bottle of tanora by some heart shaped mascot in Cork airport coming out of arrivals last week. I admire the effort but someone clearly carrying four times their bodyweight in luggage does not need a 2L bottle to lug around as well. Do taytos next time Cork airport. Or do one better and have flights to more than like 3 destinations.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
RLB is having fun making GBS threads all over the lab right about this:

https://twitter.com/RLong_Bailey/status/1612762337437712390

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Tesseraction posted:

who is was holbornlolz?

I too would like to know, the name rings a bell but all of a sudden a few days ago some of the higher calibre poo poo posters were sending thoughts and prayers about them. What's the story there?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

I find the media reporting over wood burners to be a fascinating insight into sensible centrist handwringing causes. It seems like every other day over the past few years the broadsheets have been contradicting themselves with a regular stream of articles in a way that looks like two warring astroturfing campaigns. The torygraph in particular, if you google 'telegraph wood stoves' it's almost a perfect back and forth between 'you should be buying these now' and 'they're terrible'. I'd love to know who is funding these and what their motivations are.

That grauniad one is particularly bad as usual, it's conflating a lot of details about older/newer stoves and not specifying the fuel types or moisture content, which makes it seem like they're hiding the details. My suspicion is they're aware a blanket ban would screw a lot of people who don't have access to, or can't afford cleaner methods of heating, but what they really want to say is 'pls ban woodburners in London, but not in my holiday cottage thanks'

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/AmongUsGame/status/1620877346348879873

"The fascist authoritarian regime are the sensible ones actually." - A Bunch of Wes Streeting Clones

it always seems to be heat pump guys vs wood stove guys.

Heat pumps are the genius invention that will save you a fortune and also they're the size of a double freezer and will not warm your home and will make you mam cry, wood stoves are the traditional way to save money that thousands of Brits are turning to that also give everyone asthma and cause forest fires.

There's a lot of that too, particularly the ones with pics of Boris under a tagline of 'this new tech will unlock cheaper heating thank you tories', but the fun part is that a heatpump plus a woodburner is probably quite a good combination both energy and climate-wise. On the few days a year it's cold enough here that a heatpump would struggle you'd probably also be using electricity with a higher fossil fuel footprint to run it. Supplementing it with some sustainably sourced wood on those days might be a net positive, though that's where how polluting they really are comes into play.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Skull Servant posted:

I got a survey in from the Greens the other day and I filled it out. I said that as much as I would like to vote for them, the issues with transphobia added with the fact that RLB is my MP means that they really have to have a really, really good platform before I would hand them my vote.

Same. I'm conflicted because RLB is a good 'un but I'm really struggling with the fact that voting labour is a lost cause.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Mebh posted:

Maybe turbo ASBOs will have a clause inserted that says "but only bad people!!" or something.

Means testing for ASBOs has to be somewhere in the focus group transcripts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

This is true, they've expelled and lost all the ones that cared about the manifesto commitments, the 8 remaining members are 100% backing ¡Kieth!