Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

VOTE1 posted:

I hope Demko’s injury means the Canucks can get back to tanking (even if he wad accidentally helping a bit) without getting Bruce fired.

I don't think there's any saving Bruce and it's not because he deserves it.

Demko being out long-term and Vancouver getting a lovely coach would do wonders for the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Conversely it's entirely possible that Demko being out long term turns the season around with how lousy he's played.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I sincerely hope someone in the Caps front office is making plans for being sellers at the deadline. They haven't really had to do it since 2007.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

The Dirty Burger posted:

Seeing Kevin Bahl’s name will always be a funny reminder that the Coyotes traded for Taylor Hall lol, John Chayka sucked rear end

e: Binnington got laid out tonight after trying to be an rear end in a top hat rules

https://twitter.com/bradytrett/status/1598526415171104769?s=46&t=qpHxqr7yH5ZiJXwkeDcV7Q

someone do this to Markstrom

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Chad Sexington posted:

I sincerely hope someone in the Caps front office is making plans for being sellers at the deadline. They haven't really had to do it since 2007.

They don't really have anything that good for sale either.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They don't really have anything that good for sale either.

They have Orlov and Jensen. They could potentially both get first round picks. Well at least in the universe where Ben Chiarot got a first round pick.

Wild cards are Kuznetsov and Carlson but those types of deals are usually offseason trades. Not that either are great any more but maybe reputation gets good returns for one.

It was mentioned on Seravalli’s podcast but trading Wilson would be a fun thought experiment too. You know GMs would trip all over themselves to get him, and I’m not really sure Washington should be looking to re-sign him when he’s a 30 year old UFA next year. You know some team if going to offer him like 7 x $7 million.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Give me Leon nutcrackin' in between Evander Kane and Tom Wilson

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

They have Orlov and Jensen. They could potentially both get first round picks. Well at least in the universe where Ben Chiarot got a first round pick.

Wild cards are Kuznetsov and Carlson but those types of deals are usually offseason trades. Not that either are great any more but maybe reputation gets good returns for one.

It was mentioned on Seravalli’s podcast but trading Wilson would be a fun thought experiment too. You know GMs would trip all over themselves to get him, and I’m not really sure Washington should be looking to re-sign him when he’s a 30 year old UFA next year. You know some team if going to offer him like 7 x $7 million.

Yeah I think Orlov might get a good return, and maybe Mantha if they decide to cut bait on him after just a year. I don't think Jensen will get a first just because Chiarot did, although obviously the Caps would be wise to play that up. Otherwise it seems like it's a lot of older depth players who probably only get you mid-round picks and longshot prospects in return. Strome seems like an interesting candidate, he's been playing well but he's also 25 and could theoretically be part of the next Caps team if they think they can retool on the fly and be in the playoff picture again in 2-3 years

Wilson, Kuznetsov, and Carlson would all net pretty big returns but I have a hard time seeing any of them traded. I think the Capitals, if they acknowledge there's a problem at all, will only commit to the aforementioned Retool/Rebuild on the fly model that seems to rarely work. I doubt they trade any of those three if that's the case.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

mennoknight posted:

Letting in bad goals is one thing, but Markstrom forced his teammate to defend him after he instigated poo poo with Josh Anderson trying to be a tough guy goalie like Binnington and they scored the gwg on the ensuing roughing penalty lol

What a fall-off from last year, the Oilers destroyed his brain in the playoffs

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah I think Orlov might get a good return, and maybe Mantha if they decide to cut bait on him after just a year. I don't think Jensen will get a first just because Chiarot did, although obviously the Caps would be wise to play that up. Otherwise it seems like it's a lot of older depth players who probably only get you mid-round picks and longshot prospects in return. Strome seems like an interesting candidate, he's been playing well but he's also 25 and could theoretically be part of the next Caps team if they think they can retool on the fly and be in the playoff picture again in 2-3 years

Wilson, Kuznetsov, and Carlson would all net pretty big returns but I have a hard time seeing any of them traded. I think the Capitals, if they acknowledge there's a problem at all, will only commit to the aforementioned Retool/Rebuild on the fly model that seems to rarely work. I doubt they trade any of those three if that's the case.

They already look like a team that is retooling on the fly. And if they stay in the mode, there's no way they move significant pieces like Wilson, Orlov or even Jensen. Because you can't lose them and get better signing UFAs, so they're kind of stuck.

If I were to put money on it, I can see them trading like... Sonny Milano and Conor Sheary for late-round picks and just eating poo poo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If a team like the Caps wants to sell, they should be selling now not at the deadline if an acceptable return is to be had, to maximize their Bedard lottery tickets.

But they are not going to sell, because of Ovechkin. Just like the Penguins aren't going to sell as long as Crosby is there. Both teams will be buyers this year.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DJExile posted:

Torts just called Chuck and the front office the gently caress out lmao

https://twitter.com/thelibertyyell/status/1598399074008530946?s=46&t=eeVzroLqYXxlIVFBZo1Z6g

He's going to become a cult hero in Philadelphia if he keeps this up.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

DJExile posted:

Torts just called Chuck and the front office the gently caress out lmao

https://twitter.com/thelibertyyell/status/1598399074008530946?s=46&t=eeVzroLqYXxlIVFBZo1Z6g
Is he self aware enough to know that he is one of the gimmicks himself?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

fisting by many posted:

The difference between the Flyers and WC2 is .438 and .583 P%

Or in terms of point pace, 72 points and 96 points.

For Philly to reach 96 points they'd have to play .647 P% for the rest of the season (a 106-point pace) -- or about what Carolina has done so far.

Worked for the Phillies

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

mennoknight posted:

I’d just rather our team get hit enough to learn how to score.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If a team like the Caps wants to sell, they should be selling now not at the deadline if an acceptable return is to be had, to maximize their Bedard lottery tickets.

But they are not going to sell, because of Ovechkin. Just like the Penguins aren't going to sell as long as Crosby is there. Both teams will be buyers this year.

I'm fine with the Caps mortgaging their future to keep watching Ovi sock dingers. And I think Caps fans are too.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
the blues suck and i'm going to die laugh-crying as the team becomes the Sharks for the next 4-6 years

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I'm fine with the Caps mortgaging their future to keep watching Ovi sock dingers. And I think Caps fans are too.

Yup, but they should move Carlson if there’s a buyer. That bloated contract has to come off the books cause his value is just going to get worse.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I agonized over whether to renew my tickets after the Kraken's disaster first season. So glad I ended up doing it and hyped to see them at #3 in point percentage in the NHL right now. They might be overperforming but they definitely don't suck!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DancingMachine posted:

I agonized over whether to renew my tickets after the Kraken's disaster first season. So glad I ended up doing it and hyped to see them at #3 in point percentage in the NHL right now. They might be overperforming but they definitely don't suck!

Trust me *points at Hakstol* just give it time

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jake Voracek may be cooked from hot brains:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1598754994559254547?t=w1q7IR7VCh2U3g-O6r0Zqg&s=19

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spelling Mitsake posted:

100%

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

DancingMachine posted:

They are. They kind of do/kind of don't. The west is a gigantic floating pile of garbage though so they'll very likely make the playoffs. Congrats.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

rex rabidorum vires posted:

They are. They kind of do/kind of don't. The west is a gigantic floating pile of garbage though so they'll very likely make the playoffs. Congrats.

They're 4-1 vs. the east though to be fair they haven't played the best teams in the East. (Carolina - L, Penguins, Penguins, Rangers, Capitals). They're 2-2 against the other good teams in the west (Jets, Avalanche, Knights, have not played the Stars). I'm not sure "The West sucks" is a reason to think Kraken are frauds. Shooting percentage and iffy goaltending seem like reasons to me to be skeptical they can maintain the current pace, but the 5 on 5 numbers look pretty good and it would be surprising if they lost more than they won going forward wouldn't it?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

miller for voracek. who says no??

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

A friend sent me this and lmao

https://twitter.com/NHLhistorygirl/status/695646039609462786

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I think he’s going to score a lot regardless if they sell off or not. Yeah they need to keep some guys around like Strome and maybe like Oshie for leadership or whatever but I don’t really think Ovie relies on guys like Mantha, Kuznetsov, and Carlson as much as we might think.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

DancingMachine posted:

They're 4-1 vs. the east though to be fair they haven't played the best teams in the East. (Carolina - L, Penguins, Penguins, Rangers, Capitals). They're 2-2 against the other good teams in the west (Jets, Avalanche, Knights, have not played the Stars). I'm not sure "The West sucks" is a reason to think Kraken are frauds. Shooting percentage and iffy goaltending seem like reasons to me to be skeptical they can maintain the current pace, but the 5 on 5 numbers look pretty good and it would be surprising if they lost more than they won going forward wouldn't it?

No one wants another page(s) worth of Rex talking about the Kraken and Dave Hakstol.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I do!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

No one wants another page(s) worth of Rex talking about the Kraken and Dave Hakstol.

You could probably get away with just quoting the last time you did it. They haven't really changed their zonal play or breakouts at all. It's just super loose most of the time and there really isn't competition in the Pacific at all. They're finishing better than last year, but the o-zone is still reliant on breaking fast and hoping the D can't get set up. Cycle game is still pretty middling a lot of the time, but a little better than last year. They still have trouble with teams who play a good structured game though, and that's Hakstol hockey going back to NoDak.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

DancingMachine posted:

Looking up and down their roster there's quite a few players I would feel real comfortable betting that they won't continue producing at their current pace. Maybe not everybody regresses at the same time, and they can keep it moving along. Or they could pretty easily hit a streak where they lose 10 in a row.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
They'll be fine even if their production drops because their conference is poo poo and they defend quite well. They're absolutely gonna make the playoffs.

They're doing all of this in spite of pretty poor goaltending still, too. They're just a good team in a bad conference.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Jhet posted:

You could probably get away with just quoting the last time you did it. They haven't really changed their zonal play or breakouts at all. It's just super loose most of the time and there really isn't competition in the Pacific at all. They're finishing better than last year, but the o-zone is still reliant on breaking fast and hoping the D can't get set up. Cycle game is still pretty middling a lot of the time, but a little better than last year. They still have trouble with teams who play a good structured game though, and that's Hakstol hockey going back to NoDak.

The Seattle Kraken HAVE THEY TURNED A CORNER OR ARE THEY idk the same but not.

Starting with really simple obvious things - Last year the Kraken shot 8.9% and had .880sv% in all situations. League average was 9.8% and .902. At 5v5 they finished at a 7.5% clip and received .908 goaltending. Both under performance's relative to league averages with (as has been outlined previously) their 'goaltending' being worst or near worst in the league. Hockey Ref lists the Seattle Kraken as a -36 of actual outcomes vs expected outcomes while Nat Stat puts them at -26. Additionally, both powerplay and penalty kill clocked in about 6% lower than league average. Other sort of random things I'm going to note (because if I write them here it's easier to compare them) - 44% actual goals for while 48% expected. Scoring chances a dead heat at about 25 per 60 for/against with high dangers ending at 9.75 for and 10.3 against per 60. Despite this 48.5% split the Kraken ended the year with only 41% High Danger goals for because of 4th worst in the league shooting% on high dangers and 3rd worst sv% on high danger.

That brings us to today. Here. Now. All hail the Hakstol blah blah the Kraken are flying. 2nd in their conference nipping at the heels of the resurgent Vegas Knights, a +17 goal differential, a 5th best in the league total points, and 3rd best in the league points %. So have they turned a corner. Are they for real. Was Hakstol unfairly maligned and we had to suffer all those Rex :words: ban him! Sort of, ish, and no Dave Hakstol go back to college!

Starting with simple stuff. Turns out when you take a team that was shooting 8.9% and 7.5% 5v5 AND THEN they shoot 13.1% in all situations and 10% at 5v5 they get a huge jump in goal production. Earth shattering...I know. Both are over-performances on league average of 3 and 2% respectively. In addition to that, the Kraken's goaltending has also improved from .880 to .889 (lol), but from .908 to .920 at 5v5. Currently the Kraken are a +7 actual vs expected per Hockey Ref's numbers and +14 per Nat Stat's numbers. Along with those improvements the powerplay has also jumped from ghastly to near top of the league (6th currently). The PK still sucks at 4th in the league. That is a big hang up. In terms of xG the Kraken are 'fine' with a 52.33% expected outcomes. This is more todo with their shot volume than their chance creation though. Seattle is a coin flip chance team. This is slightly an improvement (from last years 48.6 to 49.66% this year) and the rate of chances are 28 per 60 for and against. The high danger department shows another slight improvement with a very slightly edge in Seattle's favor and relative to last season we see the opposite happening....50% high danger chances for and 60% high danger goals for. High Danger shooting % has rocketed to 22% (2nd best in league) and goaltending has improved to a respectable mid-table. Currently Seattle sits top of the NHL at 5v5 shooting% and are comfortably average in 5v5 goaltending.

What to expect - well I would expect regression towards the mean. Morgan Geekie, Matthew Berniers, and Jared McCann will not be shooting 23 to 26% all year. Jamie Oleksiak will go from shooting 36% closer to his career average of 6%. Even contributing players like Sprong and Schwartz are shooting 4 to 6% ahead of their career averages. There will be a lot of coming down to earth here. Yes the Kraken have decent enough underlyings. They are aren't scoring 60% of the goal 5v5 good though (that's New Jersey and New Jersey only. Boston will probably end up 57% actual and 55% expected as they seem to do year in year out). When the regression comes and how the team handles it will dictate how things end. If you're rolling and feeling good that will only inspire more confidence. When they hit a bump though...how they respond will say a lot about this team. Either way I think they're making the playoffs because their conference is the worst in the NHL and the Kraken already have a 9 point gap on WC2. Seriously though the entire western conference is horrific. Enjoy it now.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 3, 2022

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/abbycanucks/status/1598844538000674816

Guess this means Demko is broken properly.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Appreciate the effort post, thanks! I am still new to hockey so I'm not sure how to accurately interpret the play I am seeing but it sure is more fun watching wins than losses. I figured I would have to sit through a couple more losing seasons before the team became at all competitive. So if they end up making the playoffs and being like a 4 seed I will be pretty happy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

VOTE1 posted:

Guess this means Demko is broken properly.

Please use this as an excuse to trade Myers

And Garland

And Pearson

And Miller

And Ekman-Larsson

And Poolman

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Even with a regression they'll probably end up 2nd or 3rd in their division. The Kraken have a solid gap of 7 points on Edmonton with a game in hand and 3 points and 3 games in hand on next closest LA.

On course for a Hakstol 6 game first round exit then. Probably.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

I think he’s going to score a lot regardless if they sell off or not. Yeah they need to keep some guys around like Strome and maybe like Oshie for leadership or whatever but I don’t really think Ovie relies on guys like Mantha, Kuznetsov, and Carlson as much as we might think.

Yeah I'm not sure what mortgaging the future gets Ovi exactly goals-wise. I guess you do need a PP1 with enough threats that the PK can't just drape a defender on him. (That's what was happening when Oshie was out.) But unless you can trade futures for a time machine to go back and get the 2009 Nicklas Backstrom... what's the play exactly?

Ah, who am I kidding, they're not going to do poo poo except trade McMichael for some Martin Erat motherfucker at the deadline that will do nothing. The interesting thing is what they do in the off-season with all the UFAs coming off the books.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The New York Rangers are dogshit garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mind_Taker posted:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/ovechkins-backstrom-star-hilarious-life-insurance-commercial/

But who will pass Ovie the puck !

It will be forever funny (and a bit sad yes) that Backstrom made it less than a year from that commercial before going on long term injure reserve.