Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

the blues suck and i'm going to die laugh-crying as the team becomes the Sharks for the next 4-6 years

The bad stuff: Armstrong signed everyone to long term contracts except loving Petro.

The optimist side: Armstrong also has shown no attachment to players, so he’ll almost def trade Tarasenko and ROR at the deadline.

That does open up cap space for over the summer (assuming ROR doesn’t come back after being traded, which I doubt he would). That said, how easy is it to replace a top line scoring winger and a #1 / #2 center (plus they badly badly badly need a top pair defenseman like….Petro).

Yeah Blues might be hosed into mediocrity for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Who cares baby, they got that cup!

When I was like 8 years old in like 92, I was a Leafs fan and my 3 best friends were Blackhawks, Red Wings and Blues fans.

gently caress sake, still waiting :negative:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME

Matt Zerella posted:

The New York Rangers are dogshit garbage.

Yes

Tired of this team making the same mistakes over and over

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
That game ruled. Brady scoring 2g 1a and dropping the mitts with Trouba at centre ice where they were throwing absolute bombs. Giroux was so invested in it he was doing head fakes

https://twitter.com/clahanna/status/1598860871257640960?s=46&t=fhKTl4UsHLf7gVJfyKwe7w

Can’t believe I got mad when the team drafted Tkachuk instead of Zadina lmao

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

The Dirty Burger posted:

That game ruled. Brady scoring 2g 1a and dropping the mitts with Trouba at centre ice where they were throwing absolute bombs. Giroux was so invested in it he was doing head fakes

https://twitter.com/clahanna/status/1598860871257640960?s=46&t=fhKTl4UsHLf7gVJfyKwe7w

Can’t believe I got mad when the team drafted Tkachuk instead of Zadina lmao

Also thanks for nick Paul, btw.

Edit: nick Paul, y’all

Wonderllama fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 3, 2022

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/1599080988310573056

They’re gonna lose to the Hawks tonight.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
Double down on the lovely grinders because you are careless managing the puck

Seems legit

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
oh hey is Wayne Rooney still playing for the flames tonight can't wait

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Matt Zerella posted:

The New York Rangers are dogshit garbage.

I think the problem is coaching. The only time they look like in control of a play is when Panarin or Fox is controlling the play on their own, and recently the first line has been doing their thing. Gallant has been known at motivator-in-chief, while leaving the details to assistant Mike Kelly, but it looks like they've been shuffling lines but making no tactical adjustments. It's starting to make sense why he doesn't last long as a coach.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

They're literally calling up Jarred Tinordi's replacement to play against him, since both teams need 6'6" AHL enforcers, I guess.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

mennoknight posted:

oh hey is Wayne Rooney still playing for the flames tonight can't wait

I'm just now getting word his name is Kevin

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I would prefer Wayne Rooney

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Misanthrope posted:

I would prefer Wayne Rooney

Yeah, but will Chris Rooney be there too?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Demko out six weeks

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Not to kick you when you’re down but

https://twitter.com/thomasdrance/status/1599104314735484928?s=46&t=fhKTl4UsHLf7gVJfyKwe7w

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Bruce Boudreau looks like he's trying to get himself fired and I don't blame him one bit.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

grack posted:

Bruce Boudreau looks like he's trying to get himself fired and I don't blame him one bit.

He wants to come back to the Caps local broadcast team and be there for all of Ovi’s milestones.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

grack posted:

I think it’s more that Bruce knows they are waiting for a chance to fire him, losing to Arizona at home on a Saturday could easily be the trigger. This adds a new storyline to the game and if they do lose badly and he gets fired it will set the record as ‘he tried everything but the players let him down”.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It’s time to drag out the classic:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rQyEJpPSLdQ

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm not following the canuckosphere at all, but does anyone actually seriously think Bruce is the main problem? That a team constructed with Myers, OEL, Poolman, Stillman etc are underachieving because they're badly coached? That he made Demko bad somehow?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
tbh Bruce is almost 70 and may well be past it, both tactically and motivationally. But no, no he is definitely not The Problem in Vancouver.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

No, but the team went from playing above expectations (Largely credited to Bruce) to below expectations with very little change on the roster.
One easy variable, though, is Mike Yeo which the management hired to 'assist' Bruce. Given that Rutherford didn't want Bruce there in the first place, it would be easy to think that Yeo is there to undermine Bruce.
They've repeatedly shown themselves being incapable of tanking and will hover around the possibility of a playoff spot and draft terribly. Again.
If they're willing to blow it up, they have some decent pieces to play with. Horvat and Kuzmenko should be decent pieces to move, but again, Rutherford have so far proven to be mostly a lame duck

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It’s pretty clear to me that the one and only difference year over year for Vancouver is that Demko went from bailing them out to tanking them.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I think they're very much in line with my expectations, at least.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

It’s pretty clear to me that the one and only difference year over year for Vancouver is that Demko went from bailing them out to tanking them.

That's part of it, but it's far from the whole story. Last year they were fun to watch under Bruce. Win or lose, you'd be entertained. This year, it's been awful all around.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Koopa Kid posted:

And also that they have Unfinished Business

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The Dirty Burger posted:

And also that they have Unfinished Business

Yeah they've been leaving a lot unfinished this year

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That's part of it, but it's far from the whole story. Last year they were fun to watch under Bruce. Win or lose, you'd be entertained. This year, it's been awful all around.

I hear you, but saved scoring chances lead to offensive players getting caught and counter attacks whereas goals against just stop play dead. Games that are 0-0 because a goalie is going crazy feel a lot more exciting than being down 0-3 after 10 minutes psychologically as well. But it all comes down to goaltending.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It sounds like the Pens are finally trying Rakell on the top pp. Don't know why Sullivan waited this long to attempt it. He's been arguably their best 5v5 winger all season long. At worst second best after Jake. Certainly more rounded and willing to battle, which that unit desperately needs.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

It sounds like the Pens are finally trying Rakell on the top pp. Don't know why Sullivan waited this long to attempt it. He's been arguably their best 5v5 winger all season long. At worst second best after Jake. Certainly more rounded and willing to battle, which that unit desperately needs.

Zucker IMO but actual results favor Rakell. Excellent arguments both/either.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/HockeyDaily365/status/1599204322109054981?t=b1-s1NX2U9FtJtBz0FwLDA&s=19

If this isn't a 4+ game suspension, what the hell are we even doing

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

You're missing the funniest part which is that the refs called it as a 4 minute high-sticking minor, looked at the tape, and then rescinded the penalty altogether.

E: He got pulled for giving up a 4th and then got a 10 minute misconduct for "inciting" on his way out too lmfao

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Look if you're gonna try to do a Hextall, you gotta be funny/absurd like he was, not just a dick

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
the blues are gonna fire berube in the next month or two and it will be stupid because he is not the problem. wonder how long ownership will let doug armstrong hang around; he's definitely not the guy to lead a rebuild

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Binnington is the biggest rear end in a top hat in the league imo, just a massive baby

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

I hear you, but saved scoring chances lead to offensive players getting caught and counter attacks whereas goals against just stop play dead. Games that are 0-0 because a goalie is going crazy feel a lot more exciting than being down 0-3 after 10 minutes psychologically as well. But it all comes down to goaltending.

So you're saying you don't need defense, just a good goalie?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

So you're saying you don't need defense, just a good goalie?

Well, the Canucks aren't going to have either for the foreseeable future.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

One easy variable, though, is Mike Yeo which the management hired to 'assist' Bruce. Given that Rutherford didn't want Bruce there in the first place, it would be easy to think that Yeo is there to undermine Bruce.

Wait. They did what? :psyduck:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pungry posted:

You're missing the funniest part which is that the refs called it as a 4 minute high-sticking minor, looked at the tape, and then rescinded the penalty altogether.

E: He got pulled for giving up a 4th and then got a 10 minute misconduct for "inciting" on his way out too lmfao

To be clear, they had to rescind the penalty because they can't change the call after review. They can only decide to keep the call or not. So they simultaneously managed to piss off both the Blues by making a high sticking call where there wasn't one and the Pens by missing a call that shoulda been. NHL reffing baby.

Personally I appreciate how insane Binnington is. There's not enough old school nut job goalies any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Wait. They did what? :psyduck:

Yup. And it clearly wasn't Bruce's choice.