Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Usually meddling ownership is the worst thing in the world but I really hope in this case FSG steps in and refuses to let Burke trade away All The Draft Picks including the Bedard lottery ticket in a desperate effort to save his job. Without Letang, it's over. The time to detonate and start the rebuilding has come.

If they miss the playoffs at all, it will be barely. Their first rounder isn't gonna be in serious contention to get Bedard Letang or no. Early indications sound like Letang will be back this season anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This is when the pens go all in on getting Chychrun and make a miracle run all the way to the cup

Someone get the math wizards in here and crunch me some numbers. can we make Erik Karlsson work? All my scouts keep saying Eric Karlsson, Eric Karlsson

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Kapanen can be a useful player when he plays hard and moves his feet. Just needs to use that speed.

Still a dumb contract etc who cares he's not going anywhere so just hope he plays well while he's here.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

Seeing Kevin Bahl’s name will always be a funny reminder that the Coyotes traded for Taylor Hall lol, John Chayka sucked rear end

e: Binnington got laid out tonight after trying to be an rear end in a top hat rules

https://twitter.com/bradytrett/status/1598526415171104769?s=46&t=qpHxqr7yH5ZiJXwkeDcV7Q

Lol why would you ever try to hit Jordan Staal? He's just about the thickest dude in the NHL

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It sounds like the Pens are finally trying Rakell on the top pp. Don't know why Sullivan waited this long to attempt it. He's been arguably their best 5v5 winger all season long. At worst second best after Jake. Certainly more rounded and willing to battle, which that unit desperately needs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pungry posted:

You're missing the funniest part which is that the refs called it as a 4 minute high-sticking minor, looked at the tape, and then rescinded the penalty altogether.

E: He got pulled for giving up a 4th and then got a 10 minute misconduct for "inciting" on his way out too lmfao

To be clear, they had to rescind the penalty because they can't change the call after review. They can only decide to keep the call or not. So they simultaneously managed to piss off both the Blues by making a high sticking call where there wasn't one and the Pens by missing a call that shoulda been. NHL reffing baby.

Personally I appreciate how insane Binnington is. There's not enough old school nut job goalies any more.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Tortorella's disdain for hockey journalists is always funny, and also correct.

They really do ask dumb lazy questions in almost every presser I've ever watched.

Coach your team lost the game today how do you feel about that? Coach Ovechkin scored 3 goals tonight, he's pretty special right? etc

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

In other, stupider news, apparently Kris Letang is back and practicing a week after having another stroke. What the gently caress

His condition might not give him any higher a risk of a stroke from playing hockey than not. If that's the case, he might as well play.

If it is increasing his risk, then just retire already Kris.

He hasn't been cleared to play yet in either case.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I definitely saw Columbus' argument there and was surprised the call held. Crosby was a bit further out in the paint than Bastian was I guess.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Viktor Arvidsson trying to become the NHL Nick Castellanos

e: That lady doing the interview is gonna get some poo poo for that though. It's a 4-1 goal and you have to pause that interview to cover it? Yikes

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 7, 2022

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fisting by many posted:

The Crosby contact doesn't impede the goalie's ability to make a save (He is already down with the puck going over his pad when the contact happens.) It's not automatically no goal for touching the goalie.

It arguably does since I'm not sure he can extend his pad out as far as he'd want to and Crosby is in the crease there

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm not an Oilers fan by any stretch of the imagination but Connor is the best player in the sport by a pretty big margin, and adding qualifiers to make it seem like he's not is silly. Saying stuff like "he's only 15th in scoring if you don't count all these other points he scored" seems kinda dumb to me. If it was so easy, why isn't every other star player scoring at his level? Robertson is the only non-Oiler coming close and it's required him playing at an insanely unsustainable level for anyone that isn't Connor McDavid.

Secondary SidConnor

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
McDavid's 53% xgoals seems fine enough considering how insanely good he is on the PP to go along with that.

Also most of the guys who have eye popping 5v5 xgoals numbers are surrounded by teammates who are also dominating 5v5. Like sure Bergeron's 70% is sick, but Marchand is at 66%.

Meanwhile the Oilers have like five players who even manage to hit 50% xgoals 5v5.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Bastion was clearly in the crease, clearly bumped the goalie, and clearly impeded Murray from playing his position. Them's the rules. If you wanted to argue that without the contact by Sid that the puck doesn't go into the net (which I agree with) than by all means, but it seems quite a stretch to say Crosby 'impeded' the goalie from playing his position. On the flip side, if that were called a 'no goal' on the ice I could see a coin flip for if it were overturned or not.

I don't think it's a stretch. It seemed like Elvis couldn't extend his pad all the way liked he wanted to, and since Sid was in the blue paint Elvis is theoretically entitled to that ice. Elvis did initiate the contact but Sid was in the blue paint.

I wouldn't have been upset to see it called back.

But I don't think the NHL has any discernible criteria they use for this stuff other than it seems like they'll call a goal back if they think the goalie might have made the save if not for the contact. But it feels like if there was some level of contact and the goalie wasn't likely to make the save anyways then they'll usually let the goal stand.

But again, there's very little consistency here.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Real_RobRossi/status/1600884479274651649?s=20&t=hjB2dLxafQkh2xa5ly92nA

Guys rule

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SethRorabaugh/status/1600911541821636608?s=20&t=hM7AH_YoDB-I9Jhfh_aGLA

Hopefully this doctor isn't reading from the same tome of lore that lead Sid to the spinny chair

e: https://twitter.com/DannyShireyPGH/status/1600906666622734338?s=20&t=hM7AH_YoDB-I9Jhfh_aGLA

Yeah good luck with that Sully. I feel like even before Tage became the monster he is now he always scored on the Pens. I remember even then thinking man this guy's got some mitts

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's refreshing to see the powerplay winning the Pens games instead of losing them games

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Jeff Skinner tried to murder Jake Guentzel for clipping Craig Anderson’s head when he had the puck frozen. I don’t blame Jeff for standing up for his goalie but uh he went way too far and will likely get suspended. He also got a five-minute major that cost the Sabres the game. A very bad choice! I hope Guentzel is ok.

Edit: he got a ten-minute misconduct and was ejected so yeah, he will be suspended. Maybe they’ll only give him one game? :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/notmalkinego/status/1601404856245563394?s=20&t=9wGkEDQrjwrGFkdCzTUy2Q

That was the play. He's definitely sitting for at least one for that.

I get losing his mind there because Jake whacked him but he prolly shouldn't have gone for his face.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

That last goal the coyotes scored was arguably offside but also the Bruins shouldn't have been tied with the Coyotes to begin with. That Vejmelka fella is pretty good.

I thought Swayman should have just covered that or tried to play it to his d. There was next to no time left. I doubt Arizona scores off a face off and the Bruins have better faceoff guys anyways

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

And it was absolutely cool for Guentzel to slash Anderson and Skinner and then punch Skinner in the back of the head while he was trying to get up from the ground, right? He got a slashing penalty (and so did Skinner) but no instigating? Retaliation? Roughing?

Per usual with NHL suspensions, people always point out similar situations that they treated different for seemingly no reason. NHL wheel of justice and all that.

Unless I missed something it wasn't Guentzel who slashed Anderson. That was Rakell, and it wasn't that hard. It was the typical slight whack after the whistle that always makes a goalie lose their mind. And none of the Sabres even mugged Rakell that hard over it.

Guentzel wasn't near the net and Skinner and him somehow got tangled up and lead to this incident. I don't even know why those two were going at it. My guess is Guentzel said something. He talks trash all the time so he mighta said something to Skinner to start that.

e: https://twitter.com/PensInsideScoop/status/1601699198776508417?s=20&t=hm38QPFY4KVZC8Lx18723w

Please don't die, Kris

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jhet posted:

Maybe he just likes playing hockey.

I can’t really imagine what goes through a mind with a decision like this.

Letang loves hockey.

If there's no actual risk to playing (lol Pens doctors etc) then why not keep playing. Their doctors seem to think he's not at any greater risk to play. I uh hope he got some second opinions on that that weren't Pens affiliated doctors.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Way more likely Tanger plays Monday I think. Echoing the sentiment he's healthy and not risking long term well-being.

He's playing tonight apparently

https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1601723867231555584?s=20&t=hm38QPFY4KVZC8Lx18723w

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JoshYohe_PGH/status/1601768786432249856?s=20&t=hm38QPFY4KVZC8Lx18723w

Pretty insane season Sid is having

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah I don't really get that. That's a very cheap cap hit too. No way he's making it through.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Cartoon Man posted:

Is there anybody in the league more accurate than Ovi at hitting an ENG? He’s probably the best and I agree with the statement that it likely throws off the 6 on 5 offense as they have to account for him at all times.

Ovechkin leads the league with 5 this year. Guentzel has 4 and is second. Career wise Ovechkin has 53, and is second all time behind Gretzky (56). The other active leaders are Marchand (32), Eric Staal (31), Sidney Crosby (28), Zach Parise (28), Blake Wheeler (28), Patrice Bergeron (27), Patrick Kane (26).

If we're going by rate scoring Marchand seems pretty good at them. His 32 empty net goals have come in 893 games. Yet if you extrapolate that out to the same GP that Ovechkin has then that would put Marchand with around 46-47 ENG, or still behind Ovechkin.

Seems pretty clear that as in all things goalscoring Ovechkin is the best at empty netters too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Those other guys (except Kane I guess) all being out there primarily to defend the 6-on-5 while Ovechkin is just there to steal another goal from a teammate is probably a factor too.

Kane being out in empty net situations kinda rules since he plays no defense whatsoever.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Was checking in on Leon's numbers today and since 2018-19, over 318 games played, he has shot 20.1%. He just keeps doing it and its not something anyone has been able to do since the early 90s. (Bo Horvat will not do this of course)

Alex Tanguay was a career 18.6% shooter. I think because he wouldn't ever really shoot unless it was a tap-in.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

shyduck posted:

I watch less hockey now than ever before because the ads give me a headache. gently caress me I guess

They don't give me a headache but they are distracting and worse still they glitch out constantly.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Petry to IR:

https://twitter.com/TaylorHaasePGH/status/1602824335030628352?s=20&t=1MezF3QM9bNpgtZY5ZhyIg

Bit of a blow. He's been very reliable this year.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Unless he hits a big wall or has a career ending injury very soon he almost certainly will beat it.

If we assume he hits 50 goals again this year that would put him at 830 goals with 64 to go to catch Gretzky. Yeah I'd say he makes it assuming he doesn't severely decline next year. Even if he declined to like a 30 goal season it would only take him another season or two after that to finish passing Gretzky.

And I don't see why he would decline that way. He can stand there and sock dingers and knock in rebound goals all day probably into his 40s. Wouldn't surprise me if he has another two seasons in him of hitting 30-50 goals a year

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hey remember when CAS wanted Laviolette fired and the Caps to trade away everything not nailed down, way back like 2 weeks ago

I'm not sure you're the best one to throw stones there considering how panicky Penguins fans were earlier this season and every season

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

It's insane that the Rangers haven't played the Caps, Pens, or Hurricanes yet (that I can remember right now).

The Pens have not played the Rangers, Isles, or Devils yet. I think they've played the Caps once and the Canes once. The Pens are playing all three of those teams this month though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Someone needs to dig up posts from here during Ovi's controller disconnected era, there should be some good comedy in that.

Era would imply that there was a point in Ovechkin's career where he did give a poo poo about defense

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ovie had that dip when everyone figured out he'd want to go outside towards the left wall and then do the toe drag and release into shinpads. Trotz, I think, should be credited with reworking their offense to get better looks and spacing for Ovie off the rush/zone entrances.

I feel like Ovechkin has become pretty good over the years at scoring goals around the net as well. Not that he was ever bad there, but he has a real knack for getting to rebounds these days.

Like yeah he's still smashing dingers, but he's really good around the net and it's probably not something people think about with him because he has such a long highlight reel of smashing one timers and scoring rush goals.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SethRorabaugh/status/1603085838254063617?s=20&t=NJzLfxd0NMepR-w2Wtu86Q

Pens went an impressive stretch of being healthy but this was bound to happen sooner or later.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Pens are currently in their 'play statistically good hockey and accumulate wins and points doing it' part of their season. Depending on Malkin's injury/issue they are beginning to enter or have entered the 'injuries piling up' part. Rejoice it means much less Rex posting books on things. Despite an incredibly fortuitous hat trick Kapanen still stinks and Dumoulin is washed. Also Jeff Carter isn't really 3rd line center material anymore :(

Crosby and Sullivan didn't make it sound like it was serious but I can't count the number of times I've heard that xyz player is fine only for them to be out for a month a few days later.

Hopefully Geno's not dead though. I don't want to see the Jeff Carter 2c experience very much

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Devils are still leading the league in 5v5 xgoals. I suspect they'll be just fine unless their goaltending completely implodes.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/spittinchiclets/status/1605055472687616001?s=20&t=NUVX_daAykuJszzjIfBSlw

This hit is making me laugh so hard. The physics on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Metro is a god damned bloodbath. I don't like the thought of facing any of the Rangers/Devils/Canes in a series. They all look good.