Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

His entire thing is to make posts that upset people even if they are technically correct. He would probably fit in here pretty well, someone get him an account.

i mean he is colleagues with R-Lam, so that makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bellows was a real good U-20 player for the USA. I'm kinda of surprised he hasn't put it together at all. Second time on waivers already this year but I think he's still a good gamble, he's still only like 24.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Chad Sexington posted:

I sincerely hope someone in the Caps front office is making plans for being sellers at the deadline. They haven't really had to do it since 2007.

They don't really have anything that good for sale either.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

They have Orlov and Jensen. They could potentially both get first round picks. Well at least in the universe where Ben Chiarot got a first round pick.

Wild cards are Kuznetsov and Carlson but those types of deals are usually offseason trades. Not that either are great any more but maybe reputation gets good returns for one.

It was mentioned on Seravalli’s podcast but trading Wilson would be a fun thought experiment too. You know GMs would trip all over themselves to get him, and I’m not really sure Washington should be looking to re-sign him when he’s a 30 year old UFA next year. You know some team if going to offer him like 7 x $7 million.

Yeah I think Orlov might get a good return, and maybe Mantha if they decide to cut bait on him after just a year. I don't think Jensen will get a first just because Chiarot did, although obviously the Caps would be wise to play that up. Otherwise it seems like it's a lot of older depth players who probably only get you mid-round picks and longshot prospects in return. Strome seems like an interesting candidate, he's been playing well but he's also 25 and could theoretically be part of the next Caps team if they think they can retool on the fly and be in the playoff picture again in 2-3 years

Wilson, Kuznetsov, and Carlson would all net pretty big returns but I have a hard time seeing any of them traded. I think the Capitals, if they acknowledge there's a problem at all, will only commit to the aforementioned Retool/Rebuild on the fly model that seems to rarely work. I doubt they trade any of those three if that's the case.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bruins 14-0-0 at home. On pace for a guaranteed 41 wins.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Wonderllama posted:

Interesting all the loser points the leafs have accumulated.

Fake statement, all the points the leafs collect are loser points because they are losers.

I've been enjoying the fact that Matthews only has 12 goals so far after hearing how he's a lock for 60 and the best goal scorer in the NHL all summer.

I actually like Auston too. Toronto media/fans just make me root against him, just a little bit.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm just curious, where are all these awful leafs fans you encounter?

I always hear people talk about it but I've never actually seen it in the wild. Most of us that I know and meet are some combination of shell-shocked and just happy there's cool fun guys on the team to watch.

Have you been anywhere else on the internet? For example, The Athletic is doing a series on the greatest NHL players ever and the Toronto writers just ranked Matthews as the 64th best player in NHL history, because he MIGHT eventually be the best goal scorer ever, in the future, if he keeps scoring. Draisaitl, who has scored more points and is on the same tier as Matthews (I'd say) does not even make the list. To be clear, Matthews is really good! It's just annoying to hear poo poo like this because he's one of the few notable Leafs players ever.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Twin Cinema posted:

64th best player since 1967.

Yea but that part I'm ok with. I'm not really impressed with any of those guys who played in a six team league between breaks at the cigarette factory and world wars. I get they were an equivalent level of dominant for their time period, but I prefer the lists where we leave them off.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Dahlin has been good. I'm not sure if his scoring is sustainable though just because:
A) Defensemen rarely keep this pace up all year and
B) Is he actually an offensive player? Or is he just on a hot streak? This part is more just general ignorance, but I thought the general scouting report on him was that he's an excellent defensive two-way player, and he's capable of putting up points, but that he's not an offense-first defenseman who's going to put up points like Prime Karlsson or Mike Green or whatever.

Then again, if you look at the defensemen who are scoring 1.0 points-per-game or better, it's a lot of elite players (or formerly, in the case of Karlsson) who we'd generally expect to be in the Norris conversation. Plus Josh Morrissey. It does seem like scoring is up, maybe being around that level of production is more likely for elite defensemen now? If you take a look at last years numbers there were five defensemen with 70+ points, which seems crazy, and another 3 who ended up with 68. Ekblad also ended up with 57 points, but in 61 games.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 5, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
What's crazier to me is that Erik Karlsson is playing as well as he is this year. Like, Dahlin and Makar and those guys are scoring a lot, with like half their points coming on the power play (which is important, you want to score on the PP). Karlsson has 26 even strength points. No defenseman has more, only Crosby and Robertson have more for all skaters. I doubt Karlsson can keep scoring like this for the whole season, but it'd be kind of cool if he's having a career renaissance and wins another Norris. I think he's one of the best defensemen of the modern era and it's a shame that injuries have shut him down for so long.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bruins lost in a shootout to Vegas, falling to 20-3-1 and 14-0-1 at home. Pathetic.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Scaramouche posted:

Surprising no one the Bruins are passionate about the number 14

Oh yeah whys that?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

The current goal scoring level is great and I don't want it to go up or down at all from here on out.

Yeah I'm good with where it's at now. I'm enjoying most games having like 5+ goals (no idea if that's actually accurate) and feeling like anyone could climb out of a 2 or 3 goal hole. The occasional 9-8 or 7-6 games are a lot of fun but I wouldn't want it to be the norm.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm not an Oilers fan by any stretch of the imagination but Connor is the best player in the sport by a pretty big margin, and adding qualifiers to make it seem like he's not is silly. Saying stuff like "he's only 15th in scoring if you don't count all these other points he scored" seems kinda dumb to me. If it was so easy, why isn't every other star player scoring at his level? Robertson is the only non-Oiler coming close and it's required him playing at an insanely unsustainable level for anyone that isn't Connor McDavid.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah I agree with that, but Connor and Leon can't play all five positions. To use your Bruins player examples, since I know that team better, part of it is that Bergeron and Pasta are indeed elite level players but they also play with McAvoy, Marchand, Krejci, Hall, Lindholm, have competent goalies in net and skaters in depth positions. Connor has to play with garbage, frankly. I don't think they've had a real NHL caliber #1 defenseman or starting goalie in like a decade.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
There's no way Ovechkin gets his number retired league-wide, but pretending he's the fifth best player in his generation is stupid. Sorry. The dude has NINE Rockets. I know it's a relatively new trophy but that's insane. We may never see a goal scorer like him again.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Random thought but is Clayton Keller underrated? He seems awfully good for someone who has to play for Arizona.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
That last goal the coyotes scored was arguably offside but also the Bruins shouldn't have been tied with the Coyotes to begin with. That Vejmelka fella is pretty good.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Skinner missing three games is really going to tank the Sabres chance at the playoffs lol

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Tolvanen is going to turn into a 40 point player for whoever scoops him up

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
They're really letting Ovi milk it with the empty netters huh

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
He's for sure going to get traded to a somewhat-contending team though. He will have a good playoffs. He will get signed to a dumb contract this summer. It's going to happen.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

neoaxd posted:

That's good to hear and the right decision. Why risk anything?

Also, it's pretty bullshit that we don't get a MTL-BOS game until January 24th. I've been itching for it since preseason :mad:

Yeah I'm looking forward to seeing Boston annihilate them too

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I would like Montreal to be better because for the past few years it barely registers as a rivalry to me anymore. There's no one on the Habs that bothers me, and in fact I actively like some of their players (mostly Suzuki and Caufield) and this needs to be rectified.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Personally I think that Gibson is better than his numbers from the past few years. That team is godawful and he gets shelled every night, he's routinely having to see 40-50 pucks a game. So yea, he's at a sub .900 SV% right now, but on the other hand he has more saves than any other goalie in the NHL. Look at this last 7 starts, for example. In two of those game he got destroyed. Like, sub .800 SV%. In the other five his worst sv% was .918, and the Ducks only won two of those games. On most teams, that kind of goaltending gets you a win. Of course you can't pin all of it on the team, but I don't really buy that it's all on him either.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Dr Zaius posted:

It's cool that Washington gave up on Samsonov.

As someone who has watched a lot of the Caps/Samsonov I would say, just wait a bit. Maybe he has really got it now. I dunno. But he was streaky in Washington. He'll go two weeks where he looks like a god, then the next two weeks you wonder if he can tie his own shoes.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
800 for Ovi...wow

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I want to see Ovechkin break a Gretzky record, I want him to get to 900. But I'd like to see him do it "the right way" - which might sound stupid. He's older but still a phenomenal scorer and a great player, so I think there's a good chance that he does. I just wouldn't want to see, like, a 43-year-old Ovechkin playing 10 minutes a night and getting trotted out on the power play to try and score a goal to chase the record.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

Actually this is the best outcome because it would make boomer Oilers fans so mad.

that's a compelling point actually.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yea Ovechkin is incredible 800 goals is such a crazy number. Since he came into the league no one is even close to him in goal scoring. Of the players who are still active, Crosby has the second most with 534 (which is impressive too). I don't think anyone will come close to his numbers again. Even the best younger scorers like McDavid, Draisaitl, Matthews, Pastrnak, etc., will likely "only" get to the 500s-600s range.

Edit: it sucks Ovechkin missed probably an entire season or more worth of games between work stoppages. He could be close to Gretzky/pushing to 1000 already if that hadn't happened.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 14, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Stamkos has missed like 150 games, so he'd probably be getting close to 600 by now assuming he had another 60-80 goals in those games. Maybe it's even more, and he could have 100+ more than he does, if you assume he also scores more in the games he did play because in this hypothetical he's not playing injured at all. I think he'll probably still get 600 or very close to it. 32 is "old" for the NHL but if he plays another 4-5 years who knows.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Cartoon Man posted:

Can we stick a fork in Philly and Columbus yet?

Yeah I think the East playoff teams are pretty close to set already. The top 3 in each division seem pretty safe, especially in the Atlantic, even if their order changes. I think the Islanders, Rangers, Panthers, and Capitals will be jockeying for those two wild card spots.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

what a piece of poo poo

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's crazy that Reaves is even in the NHL still, there's basically no true goons left. Was it a legal hit? Maybe, but most players don't make those hits nowadays, and if they do it's not so obviously malicious. His entire job is to try and hurt people because he sucks poo poo at hockey, everyone understands that. Tom Wilson gets a lot of hate too, but at least that guy can play and contribute to a team beyond just headhunting.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
https://twitter.com/rmnb/status/1603483305441116162

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I dunno. The Ducks are bad but they're bad on purpose. It's easy to forget that they're basically icing a NCAA roster, in terms of age (that's an exaggeration, but like half their lineup is real young). Zegras, McTavish, Drysdale, Terry, and Lundestrom already has the makings of a pretty good core, and Terry is the oldest at 24. They have some other decent prospects in the pipeline too like Olen Zellweger and Nate Gaucher. Then you figure they add one of Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, or Carlsson this summer and I think they'll turn it around pretty quickly. They have the potential to be scary good in a few years.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Simplex posted:

They're young, but their contract situation isn't great for a team that's miles away from the playoffs. Zegras, Drysdale and Terry are all RFAs this offseason and are going to get paid. Then they are going to have to replace almost their entire D corps with whatever cap space is left.

They have 13 million in space right now and Klingberg (7M) Shattenkirk (3.9M) will almost certainly be traded/not re-signed. Maybe Adam Henrique (5.825M) and Kulikov (2.25) too. They're still going to be bad, but having young players called up to fill roles won't be a problem for them. Like Olli Juolevi, remember that guy? Apparently he's in the Ducks system now. The cap won't be a problem. Zegras might get paid but Drysdale and Terry will get bridge deals I bet.

They're still going to be bad for the next year or two, but it's not going to last forever with the talent they have in their system.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Simplex posted:

Terry's already on his second contract, he's not signing a one year(?) bridge deal. Given the market for young defensemen who are worth a poo poo, you are absolutely going to have to give a 7-8 year deal to Drysdale.

Even if you're right, and they give all of them 7M+ or whatever, they have the cap space.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Devils are still a good team, and they'll probably be fine/a playoff team, but this is pretty much what I expected would happen once they got into this part of December when I was looking at their schedule. They beat a lot of bottom feeders in October and November. I did not think they'd lose to Philly though.

Looking ahead, their March looks rough too. 16 games in 31 days and they play Colorado, Vegas, Toronto, Carolina, Tampa Bay (x3 in six days!), Florida, Minnesota, among others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
they should get Horvat and Quinn from Vancouver in return for a bunch (all) of their good prospects. All Hughes team come on lets see it.