Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They don't really have anything that good for sale either.

They have Orlov and Jensen. They could potentially both get first round picks. Well at least in the universe where Ben Chiarot got a first round pick.

Wild cards are Kuznetsov and Carlson but those types of deals are usually offseason trades. Not that either are great any more but maybe reputation gets good returns for one.

It was mentioned on Seravalli’s podcast but trading Wilson would be a fun thought experiment too. You know GMs would trip all over themselves to get him, and I’m not really sure Washington should be looking to re-sign him when he’s a 30 year old UFA next year. You know some team if going to offer him like 7 x $7 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I'm fine with the Caps mortgaging their future to keep watching Ovi sock dingers. And I think Caps fans are too.

I think he’s going to score a lot regardless if they sell off or not. Yeah they need to keep some guys around like Strome and maybe like Oshie for leadership or whatever but I don’t really think Ovie relies on guys like Mantha, Kuznetsov, and Carlson as much as we might think.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Fehervary and Kuemper left the game injured tonight.

:fork:

It’s not all Laviolette’s fault but I don’t see the upside of keeping him around any more. Best to start the coaching search now, play some of their young guys to see if they are any good, and hope they get some good fortune in the Bedard sweepstakes.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Tortorella's disdain for hockey journalists is always funny, and also correct.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Martin Fehervary is on IR after getting his shoulder/arm injured by Lucic, and Darcy Kuemper’s brain is hot.

I know old team is old and will likely get injured a lot but it’s not only the really old dudes like Backstrom and Oshie getting hurt. Connor Brown tore his ACL, Fehervary is hurt, Kuemper got elbowed in the head, Orlov got hurt for the first time in his career, etc.

It may be a blessing in disguise because even if healthy the roster isn’t good enough to win in the playoffs, so maybe it’ll force some changes this offseason/TDL. But it still stinks seeing all these dudes go down with injury.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I hope Ovie ENGs his way all the way to 1000 goals.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

It rules that the Caps crowd started chanting “Ovie!” when Seattle pulled their goalie.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

50 year old Jagr is playing professional hockey.

Meanwhile late 30s Mind_Taker just pulled a back muscle picking up a spoon that fell on the floor.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They're really letting Ovi milk it with the empty netters huh

Yeah it rules!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I feel like Washington has also been much better this year than in prior years when the other teams goalie is pulled. I’ll look up the stats but in prior years they’d give up tying goals pretty frequently when they had their grinders out there. Now it seems like they just put the Ovie turret out there to end games when the net is empty.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Sure, but other players on the team can score too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-keJpHxbwM&t=407s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xRu1Vtl8_M&t=174s

No they really can't.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I just looked it up on Natural Stat Trick:

Over the past 3 seasons Washington outscores the opposition 16-3 when they have their goalie pulled and Ovechkin is on the ice.

When Ovechkin is off the ice, they are only outscoring the opposition 21-13.

Ovechkin's GF% when he's on the ice in EN situations is better than any team's GF% in the same situation during that 3 year span. But yeah let's keep him on the bench and have Nic Dowd and Garnet Hathaway missing empty nets instead.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That's because the other 4 guys work harder since they're effectively on a 6 on 4.

All I'm seeing is one of the league's best motivators then. Intangibles baby!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ovie just scored his 800th

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/br_openice/status/1603771877608099841?s=46&t=zXpjsxqQ7i8sN_H141ybnQ

The potty humor is whatever but is Jack Edwards doing ok? He really seems to be struggling with normal PBP duty recently on top of weird stuff like this.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

yea it's really noticeable lately. he struggles to speak sometimes. i think he's almost 70 so maybe he'll retire soon.

Yeah it’s noticeably impacted the quality of the broadcast. I’ve always liked the NESN broadcast precisely because I think Edwards is the perfect level of homer. But it’s been a lot more difficult listening recently with him tripping over words and names all the time. And he just seems slower too. Aging sucks I guess.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/nathangraviteh/status/1603989160913932288?s=46&t=OFXi0zRq0ZnpZCpoASgcGA

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Selfless of Oshie to put himself on LTIR so Wilson and Backstrom can come back without screwing up the salary cap situation.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think the Metro is sending 5 teams to the playoffs this year. Mainly because I trust Paul Maurice to screw it up in Florida.

The question is which 2 of NYR, NYI, and WSH make it.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I hope Ovie waits a while to score his next two so that the Howe sons have to keep following the Capitals around.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Wasn’t Maurice always a huge hindrance on the special teams of the Jets and other teams he coached?

Oh and looky there the Panthers are 26th on the PP (5th last year) and 20th on the PK (16th last year).

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I’m so glad it was an ENG. Just keep salting these games away Ovie

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Capitals kick rear end. Extend Lavi! Please don’t look at my post history!

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I think the Devils will still make it because I think the Metro will send 5 teams and odds are NJ will hold on to be one of those 5. The only locks in the Metro are Carolina and probably Pittsburgh because Pittsburgh always makes the playoffs. So 3 spots between NJ/WSH/NYR/NYI is what I'm thinking.

I keep waiting for Florida to put together a win streak but I think at this point they're just kind of bad. I guess coaching matters. And I don't think Detroit or Buffalo are a real threat to make the playoffs either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Alex Ovechkin kicks rear end!

I’d like to thank the Montreal team defense. That was one of the saddest performances I’ve seen in a while.