Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

TrueChaos posted:

If they want to suspend for it that's fine, suspend everyone who does it and not just the loveable giraffe. When that kind thing happens to Bunting more than once without even a penalty called, that sets the expectations.

Bunting's been hit over the head at center ice with a two hander?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

TrueChaos posted:

It absolutely does matter, if the intent with suspensions as punishment is that they're a detterent and a method to clean up the game in order to keep players safe. It doesn't matter where you are on the ice, if you're battling in front of the net or skating through the neutral zone a hit to the head is a hit to the head from the perspective of player safety.

To be clear, the only reason I don't think he should be suspended is because of nearly identical actions that don't even result in penalty calls. In a vacuum 1 game is perfectly fine, but the amount of poo poo they don't call sets the standard.

There aren't any nearly identical actions because there's a big difference between an incidental high stick during a battle on the boards and a frustrated chop over the head away from the puck at center ice, it's a genuinely comical thing to do

What we can all agree on is that DOPS is playing calvinball with high sticking suspensions. Kuznetsov got one game for something way more absurd and dangerous, Kaprisov got a fine for something at least as blatant as this, and Rasmussen got two games for a sloppy high stick that occurred after a check that injured Krejci.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Pungry posted:

God bless the NHL. The lottery-bound Arizona Coyotes defeated the 21-3-1 Boston Bruins 4-3 despite being outshot 46-16 thanks to Karel Vejmelka standing on his head and Lawson Crouse scoring a goal with 14 seconds left in the game. It was the Coyotes' first win over Boston since 2010 and it happened in the year where the two were the most polar opposite of each other in the standings.

The Swayman difference!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Habs: stale piss in my pants

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

tinstaach posted:

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1603782217632993280

Welcome back Jakub! All of your teammates are dead.

Vrana is easing back in, Hronek is in a contact jersey, Larkin is practicing, Maatta is over his pneumonia, Fabbri will return soon... I had my "season is over" freakout and now I'm back to expecting the team to stay almost relevant.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Starsfan posted:

I voted for Detroit as the fanbase that most over-rated their team's chances of success largely due to the history of this forum, I also find it sad how low the Red Wings have fallen in the collective hatred of the rest of the NHL's fans.

I admittedly stopped posting in SAS for a couple years but the end of the Holland era was marked by all of us bitching endlessly about how we were built to lose in the playoffs. I struggle to recall a time when Red Wings fans were annoyingly optimistic between 2012 and this year. I thought our problem was that we were obnoxious after a long stretch of success

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Ginette Reno posted:

That's probably reading too much into it. The Penguins and Bruins are two of the NHL's flagship franchises when it comes to tv ratings. I doubt there was any more thought put into it than that.

It is not a coincidence that the owners of Fenway Park and the Pittsburgh Penguins have managed to get the Pittsburgh Penguins playing at Fenway Park.

It makes sense as a draw in general so no complaints, but it was definitely set up deliberately.