Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What best approximates your holiday experience?
This poll is closed.
A time of festivities with family and friends that reminds you of life and love 5 13.89%
A time of rumination and reflection as you consider your year and the next 4 11.11%
A time of quiet, cloudy depression where you fold yourself in shows and video games until it's over 17 47.22%
A time to smoke just so much god damned weed 10 27.78%
Total: 36 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

delightful posted:

I wouldn't mind paying for UFC if it wasn't so damned expensive. Without linking to any :files:, I hate the streaming sites. Just non-stop nazi comments kills my buzz for good cards. I hate that my options are: overpay for mediocre quality or immerse myself in the absolute worst of humanity. Why are so many MMA fans the most racist pieces of poo poo you've ever seen? (This is rhetorical)

blue footed boobie posted:

Just maximize the video and ignore the chat?

Yeah just insta-close the chat (or better yet, block it in your adblocker so you don't have to keep manually doing it) and open up the GDT here instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It's hard not to feel grossed out by the reminder that we have a bad niche within a bad niche. The internet's MMA communities tend to be various shades between 'gross' and 'this needs to be on a watchlist' and that's open, non-anonymous places; the anonymous ones are basically like submerging yourself in a lake of bile except the bile is on fire and also racist.

It's why I wanted to do the threads here in the first place. This is a nice god damned MMA community and those essentially don't exist.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

delightful posted:

I wouldn't mind paying for UFC if it wasn't so damned expensive. Without linking to any :files:, I hate the streaming sites. Just non-stop nazi comments kills my buzz for good cards. I hate that my options are: overpay for mediocre quality or immerse myself in the absolute worst of humanity. Why are so many MMA fans the most racist pieces of poo poo you've ever seen? (This is rhetorical)

You can close/mute the chat on most streams or just full screen the video? The same happens with most sports streams, internet comment sections are garbage

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

ilmucche posted:

You can close/mute the chat on most streams or just full screen the video? The same happens with most sports streams, internet comment sections are garbage

If you go to the lower right of the stream, there is usually a full screen toggle or button there. It's such a better experience.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
You can and should learn how to use the dev tools to just delete the html block that contains the chat window. Good until the stream inevitably freezes and you have to refresh. I'm sure the official stream would be just as Nazi if they had a chat. If you'll excuse me, I now need to try to bridge and shrimp out of Jake Shields calling me a racist.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

just use ublock to delete element the entire chat lol

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

delightful posted:

I hate that my options are: overpay for mediocre quality or immerse myself in the absolute worst of humanity.

Yes. Those are the only options.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
The maximize video extension for chrome can be helpful too.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Also smart tvs/rokus/fire tv/whatever also have web browsers, so if you punch up your favorite streaming site and full screen the video you can just watch it on your tv like if you ordered the PPV.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

delightful posted:

The alt-right has been using MMA to recruit. Karim Zidan has written tons of articles about it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

beep by grandpa posted:

just use ublock to delete element the entire chat lol

I've never thought of that, will have to try next time

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mariooncrack posted:

The alt-right has been using MMA to recruit. Karim Zidan has written tons of articles about it.

I mean, Kadyrov's son was in a fixed MMA match recently with Khamzat in his corner.

So yeah, it's a pretty strong tool at least in that corner of the world where they're murdering minorities to "keep the sanctity of the state clean" or whatever bullshit reason they use to justify it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CarlCX posted:

It's hard not to feel grossed out by the reminder that we have a bad niche within a bad niche. The internet's MMA communities tend to be various shades between 'gross' and 'this needs to be on a watchlist' and that's open, non-anonymous places; the anonymous ones are basically like submerging yourself in a lake of bile except the bile is on fire and also racist.

It's why I wanted to do the threads here in the first place. This is a nice god damned MMA community and those essentially don't exist.

Also the general quality of discussion here is light years ahead of anywhere else. Every other place I've even tried to discuss the sport is like 100 people all doing dumb gimmicks except none of them are actually gimmicks. Someone here was doing a bit insisting that Conor was going to beat Floyd and then simply kept going as if he had beaten him. Imagine 100 people doing that sincerely and that's Sherdog or The MMA Underground or Twitter or whatever.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mekchu posted:

I mean, Kadyrov's son was in a fixed MMA match recently with Khamzat in his corner.

I believe you, but for stuff like this, can you drop a link so people who want to know more can get the details?

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2022/12/23/23524268/video-ramzan-kadyrov-son-wins-pro-mma-debut-fake-fight-mma-ufc-politics-news
This takes Chimaev from bootlicking to super saiyan, drat.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kimbo305 posted:

I believe you, but for stuff like this, can you drop a link so people who want to know more can get the details?

The details that were given were pretty much spot on. There's not much nuance to what went down with that stuff.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Here's the kadyrov fight

https://youtu.be/3-RbvOTwG-Y

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Holy poo poo Stephan Bonnar died, drat

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yea was just about to post.

That's loving horrible and sad
https://twitter.com/ufc/status/1606788857701494785

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wtf how?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

nothing known yet that I can see, but his last few years were extremely sad as a whole.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
holy gently caress. rip. you gave us the ufc. for better or worse.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Man, that's loving rough in so many ways. The UFC/MMA probably wouldn't have gone away, but it probably would've entered another dark age without him. I ordinarily get mad here about pension plans and healthcare but with how his appearances in public were over the last few years it seems like there were bigger problems than just whether he had help around him or not. loving tragic.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So far I've remembered

• That time he got in the best shape of his life to fight anderson silva and got smoked in a round and then failed a drug test
  • That time he was used as a dummy for George Dillman by investigative reporters
  • That time he had an NC (accidental headbutt/cut) against Krystof Soszynski and the scar was shaped like a K

He never fought for a title (from memory he had losses to 5 fighters who held UFC titles at some point in their careers), and he earned exactly 1 FOTN performance bonus through his whole UFC run, and he only failed drug tests a couple a times, but in a weird way he was the most median, central, average, representative MMA fighter out there. What's an MMA fighter? Stefan Bonnar. For better, or for worse.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Man I really did not want to hear that news. RIP to an all time loving legend who could single handedly represent the core of this awesome, strange, ridiculous sport.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CommonShore posted:

So far I've remembered

• That time he got in the best shape of his life to fight anderson silva and got smoked in a round and then failed a drug test
  • That time he was used as a dummy for George Dillman by investigative reporters
  • That time he had an NC (accidental headbutt/cut) against Krystof Soszynski and the scar was shaped like a K

He never fought for a title (from memory he had losses to 5 fighters who held UFC titles at some point in their careers), and he earned exactly 1 FOTN performance bonus through his whole UFC run, and he only failed drug tests a couple a times, but in a weird way he was the most median, central, average, representative MMA fighter out there. What's an MMA fighter? Stefan Bonnar. For better, or for worse.

Was it Bonnar who did like a street fighter pose covered in blood looking at the camera after a win? Really sad news

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

RIP to an all time loving legend who could single handedly represent the core of this awesome, strange, ridiculous sport.

He does singlehandly touch on all points of the Co-Main Event Podcast's tagline about the "Wacky, weird, and sometimes wonderful sport of mixed martial arts"

RIP

Stealth Tiger fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 25, 2022

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

CommonShore posted:

[*]That time he got in the best shape of his life to fight anderson silva and got smoked in a round and then failed a drug test

He looked loving gorgeous to be fair. RIP indeed. A very handsome man.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
That really loving sucks

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

RIP to a real one, without that fight between him and Griffin the UFC would likely not exist as it does today.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Was it Bonnar who did like a street fighter pose covered in blood looking at the camera after a win? Really sad news

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1606796121527009281

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

:( RIP Bonnar.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

willie_dee posted:

He looked loving gorgeous to be fair. RIP indeed. A very handsome man.

I love this shot because it was just before the Anderson fight so the test results were not so much unsurprising as genuinely expected.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Oh and merry Xmas if you do that

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Marching Powder posted:

I love this shot because it was just before the Anderson fight so the test results were not so much unsurprising as genuinely expected.

Same, it’s what these super heroes should be allowed to look like.

Bring back Pride rules and regs.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I haven't posted in one of these threads in years but man I'm pouring one out for Bonnar. That is absolutely tragic news. I'll see you all at the next funeral.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

When I first expressed an interest in MMA, one of my friends suggested watching TUF 1 and I feel the Griffin/Bonnar fight was required watching for me to get into the sport. 45 is way too young.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

im old as poo poo and got into the ufc via gas station tape rentals of the old tournaments. i watched the entire tuf 1 season and was floored by the finale like tons of people and really RIP to a legend

mewse
May 2, 2006

Forrest grew on me but Bonnar was my fav while I was watching S1 of TUF. He seemed to have his poo poo together on the show which made his later struggles with alcohol hard to understand. RIP

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Anything can happen but it's way too early for TUF 1 guys to be dropping. Bums me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

TheKingslayer posted:

Anything can happen but it's way too early for TUF 1 guys to be dropping. Bums me out.

Yeah, it was already bad enough to see the OG MMA generation suffering the way they have, seeing the graduating class of TUF 1 struggling like this is kind of devastating. Lodune Sincaid is dead, Stephan Bonnar is dead, Diego Sanchez came perilously close and is still fighting while his body falls apart, Mike Swick retired after a dozen medical problems and now he has cancer and like half the cast are broke thanks to the UFC not giving them poo poo and COVID shutting down their gyms, let alone the way the show ate Jason Thacker alive.