Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What best approximates your holiday experience?
This poll is closed.
A time of festivities with family and friends that reminds you of life and love 5 13.89%
A time of rumination and reflection as you consider your year and the next 4 11.11%
A time of quiet, cloudy depression where you fold yourself in shows and video games until it's over 17 47.22%
A time to smoke just so much god damned weed 10 27.78%
Total: 36 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm kind of amazed that more comments are decrying that than supporting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I remember catching a lot of poo poo for asking if having the Southern Cross tattoo had too much nationalist connotation, but I guess I can pull that question back out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Please, won't someone fix Twitter embedding on desktop?

Anyways, the timing of these always feels suspect, but it's naturally how it'd play out if you wanted to keep waiting to the last minute to see if you could manage to make the fight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It’s hard for me to get into the mind of an idiot, but i think it’d be weird for Rogan to put it out there if he had talked to Conor directly about it. I assume it’s drawing the obvious conclusion like he did with Liver King.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It’s now an annual tradition

e: can’t believe it’s been more than a year since the Venum deal.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

but #4 is so pissed off he's not sure he wants to fight anymore

He clarified that translation:
https://www.lowkickmma.com/magomed-ankalaev-post-fight-mistranslation/
Unless it was saving face? Brut?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

He was then promptly banned from twitter (for the second time; the first was for stoking anti-immigrant hatred) for calling a bunch of other people fat and telling them to kill themselves. Also telling Mohammed Mokaev he would never be British because he wasn't born there, and calling Ilia Topuria a mixed-race mongrel, and at one point calling the entire nation of Georgia idiots who deserve to be killed by Russia, etc. etc. He turns on the charm when it counts, but he's kind of a giant toolbag.

I feel like the mma media has taken it easy on him for this stuff, but I also hope they don’t dig anything up on Meatball :ohdear:

mister posted:

Then I saw today that DJ said when Paddy asked him to appear on Paddy's podcast there was never any offer of pay. So Paddy is a hypocrite as well as a race baiting turd.

Mekchu posted:

Iirc, part of this came out that Paddy was being paid by Howler Head or someone's stuff to do appearances and it's somehow linked to being owned by Dana White.

If y’all got links, link em. I appreciate advancing the narrative but i just wanna see the sources.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Unless Cejydo is really into burritos, comes off pretty racist on O'Malley's part.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wrt thread overlaps, I wanted to bring up
The Dumb Combat People on Social Media Thread
It's only about a year old, so I'm not sure that the extent to which social media is separable from real life has changed any from then...

but -- I feel like it's inefficient to isolate fighters' viewpoints/beefs/stories from social media from the rest of our discussion.
There is a minority(?) of posters who prefer not to know or discuss figthers' political stances, and I understand that, but I also think it's inevitable, so we might as well.

As an example of how social media ties it all together:

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm not linking, but apparently Jake Shields went to Mike Jackson's gym and attacked him before going on to boast about it on social media because he's a loving idiot and is just leaning into the chud thing now.
This is the kind of thing where I want to get enough detail to know who's in the right, who's in the wrong. I saw the video -- Shields had Jackson mounted, and Jackson wasn't fighting back. I'm not sure he could have gotten out of a Shields mount even if he tried his hardest, but he was sitting there going "why is no one pulling this Nazi off of me? Really?"

Onto my point -- that assault was 4 days ago. Today, John Danaher posts:

That seems pretty cool in a bubble, but it's Danaher -- there's no way he doesn't understand the message of what he's posting. At the very least, you know he doesn't disqualify associating with Shields over all this.

In a better world, we could all just be making Diaz drinking airplane water making him fat jokes.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 20, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I'd be ok if the rule was to post here but discuss there.

That seems like a good rule, so it streamlines the discussion but lets people get the firehose if they really want it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BlindSite posted:

It tends to slop over into other threads though. People get weird and abusive over their little ideological tendencies.

I think it does get vituperative, but at this point, it's not "little" ideological tendencies. Believing or disbelieving in vaccines, like Shields doesn't, isn't a little tendency.

BlindSite posted:

I honestly don't think Danaher thinks for more than 5 minutes about anything other than martial arts.
Then he must have known Shields was over at the UFC PI. Maybe he reviewed Shields takedown to mount after the video came out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ccubed posted:

Judge Douglas Crosby Responds to Criticism Regarding Controversial Scorecards

Some highlights:

Good job making me hate Doug Crosby even more Doug Crosby.

The 1% are just lighting up the comments against me!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

https://twitter.com/DamonMartin/status/1606022851496124421
Now I am not a Deron Winn fan, exactly, but going from 'you have a fight booked' to 'you injured yourself cutting weight and are not getting your show money' to 'you are fired three days before Christmas' is a hell of a thing

Smdh PI not offering wheelchair service for athletes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

You can and should learn how to use the dev tools to just delete the html block that contains the chat window. Good until the stream inevitably freezes and you have to refresh. I'm sure the official stream would be just as Nazi if they had a chat. If you'll excuse me, I now need to try to bridge and shrimp out of Jake Shields calling me a racist.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mekchu posted:

I mean, Kadyrov's son was in a fixed MMA match recently with Khamzat in his corner.

I believe you, but for stuff like this, can you drop a link so people who want to know more can get the details?

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2022/12/23/23524268/video-ramzan-kadyrov-son-wins-pro-mma-debut-fake-fight-mma-ufc-politics-news
This takes Chimaev from bootlicking to super saiyan, drat.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I follow this whale watching tour guide/videographer and

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Kelvin got pulled up pretty quick for Tate support
https://twitter.com/DesmondMMA/status/1608648580163866626

Aljo spent some energy distancing himself in October and now again
https://twitter.com/kerching68/status/1608663954661969920

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mekchu posted:

It was that.

And not some elliptical support of Tate, right? Which i think was Freudian slippers’ question.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Boco_T posted:

Also, I spent an hour nailing down the SHOOT BOXING rules so that I could start following it and posting about it, it's a cool sport with cool rules and I think it would be popular but only tiny Japanese guys do it.

Shoot Boxing
Rules: Fights are 3 or 5 3-minute rounds. Punches, kicks, elbows, and knees are legal. Additionally, fighters are allowed to execute throws, chokes, and joint submissions provided the only part of their body touching the canvas is their feet. This means that fights can end via submission (rarely) and that there is a scoring component for throws (Shoot Point) and near-submissions (Catch Point).

Scoring: Round scores can go from 10-10 even as far as 10-6 in either direction. The score is translated to 10-point-must after scoring with the following events:
- 1 point: Forward throw with a referee “Shoot” call (Shoot Point)
- 1 point: Near-submission with a referee “Catch” call (Catch Point)
- 2 points: Backward throw with a referee “Shoot” call (i.e. a German suplex)
- 2 points: Knockdown due to a strike
- 3 points: Forward throw that leads to a knockdown (opponent can’t get up immediately and must take an 8-count)
- 4 points: Backward throw that leads to a knockdown
- 1 point: General advantage in the round (i.e. the way you’d score a boxing or kickboxing fight a 10-9, gets superseded by strike knockdown)
- Standard point deductions for fouls can be included

Interesting ruleset. Particularly in that it seems heavily biased towards throws and submissions. Anyone who's versed there would be well served to try to smother their opponent and keep going for grappling attacks, since those score so much more than the 1 point of normal winning a round. In other words, if you get on the board with a couple throws, then it's effectively open scoring -- you know who's going to win the round based on how far ahead they are with throws.

Definitely makes me me want to think harder on how it compares to sanshou -- no knees or elbows (usually), no subs, all standing throws allowed.
You get 1 point for a throw where you land on top of your opponent, 2 points for where you're still standing.
1 point for a punch or kick landing cleanly, 2 points for a head kick.
(there's also ring outs on the platform using TKO like rules -- 2 push outs a round is sudden victory, or 3 total)
The sport seems to be a mix of people who can put together very clean throwing games, people who can point fight, or a small portion of people who have KO power.

The thing I stress a lot when I teach sanshou is that the throwing game is very different when you have boxing gloves on. You can do some kick catch sweeps where you have their foot/leg scooped in your hand, but otherwise, you are working with underhooks/overhooks, or 2-on-1 on a limb. e: there's also some emphasis on gripping at the elbow or tricep
That makes the repertoire of throws look downright simplistic compared to even nogi.
Double leg is legal (have to modify so you don't drag your lead knee on entry, and don't land on your hands/forearms) but potentially less worth it than MMA because you have the same risk of getting kneed and you don't end up in a better position at the end -- you score well, but get stood back up.
An RNC is possible but you have to be very clean to do it with boxing gloves on.

And now that I'm on this ramble, here's a video of some sanshou throws I just ran into that I was gonna dig through for class. Most I would say are too fancy and work best if your opponent is fully committed to their strike, which sanshou people rarely are because of the threat of catch counters.
https://i.imgur.com/2Q1mpRL.mp4
As I tell my students who ask about MMA applications -- getting a clean throw may or may not be how you wanna work your MMA game. It's preferable if you wanna keep it standing, but a lot of the throws don't have easy variations that let you follow the throwee to the ground.

Before K-1, Andy Souwer was a Shootboxer. He was pretty good in what I saw -- definitely comfortable with the ruleset and had a serviceable grappling game. Given the more frequent breaks in action from successful or unsuccessful throws, you really couldn't tell that he had the tools to be an elite level kickboxer.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 30, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Boco_T posted:

It's crazier to me that sanshou counts a throw the same as a clean strike. Like, is a clean jab worth a full point? That makes your "point fighters" thing make sense, that's such a heavy weighting.

Two points on this --
1) it's definitely by design to encourage throws. I'm ok with the ruleset determining the look/feel of the sport, and the way to do that is to heavily encourage throws. A lot of strikes won't score, and you can't know for sure til the end of the round, but after each throw, the ref tells the judges how to score it.
2) yes, any clean scoring strike is counted the same. Those chest guards are to help provide some visual contrast and audio cues that a strike has landed. The 3 (or 5 for international competition) judges sit around the platform with clickers in hand for each contestant, clicking in points as they watch the match. At the worlds level, the clickers are digitized to the video stream so you can see who's ahead on points that way.
e: in my limited competition experience, there's quite a lot of variation by judges on whether strikes land or not. Understandable, given their different viewing angles on the action. I remember getting pretty split scoring in some of my rounds, like winning solidly with one judge and losing solidly with 2 others.

In sanshou, Muslim Salikov was a good striker with a fight-changing level of power, btw. Even if you don't get a TKO point score, you still benefit from your opponent being rocked.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 30, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I guess this is better than power slaps

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmHffF6p5XS/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=