Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What best approximates your holiday experience?
This poll is closed.
A time of festivities with family and friends that reminds you of life and love 5 13.89%
A time of rumination and reflection as you consider your year and the next 4 11.11%
A time of quiet, cloudy depression where you fold yourself in shows and video games until it's over 17 47.22%
A time to smoke just so much god damned weed 10 27.78%
Total: 36 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/shaunalshatti/status/1602405539706568704
if only these acts of good will and solidarity between fighters facing mutual struggles could somehow be harnessed in some sort of collective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
That would be wild

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

butros posted:

Leech cooking for his family and the camera crew on the last Embedded he was on :unsmith:

I would absolutely love to see Leech doing a cooking show/video series showing off the stuff he makes back home so he can build up his English/non-Chinese speaking audience.

His eye-poking poo poo was bad, but he has really redeemed himself in a few ways in terms of coming off as a nice guy.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Poirier has cooked jambalaya and gumbo (using his hot sauce) with the Hot Ones guy

He also says he wants to do a show called Food Fight where he travels to MMA gyms and checks out the restaurant scene in various cities

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Lots of other potential mma cooking show ideas:
-Chris Leben scavenging for road kill and getting diarrhea
-Brock Lesnar running away screaming from broccoli like those phobia episodes of Maury
-Quiz show where Johny Hendricks is told important facts about his family while reading a steakhouse menu and he has to remember them 15 minutes later
-Name That Sushi Condiment
-Diego Sanchez is introduced to common foods he has never seen before and has to figure out which parts of them are edible

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tune in to Fill the Bowl with Power Slop with Mike Dolce to see what kind of Power Slop Mike Dolce fills the bowl with

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

-Diego Sanchez is introduced to common foods he has never seen before and has to figure out which parts of them are edible

You know what asparagus is, come on bro

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mekchu posted:

Sort of like when Rose went "I'M THE loving BEST" in her rematch with Carla which she very clearly lost a boring lovely fight.

At least Rose has the excuse of being a deeply traumatised person who had to grow up in Milwaukee.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

lmao this kid getting absolutely eviscerated in the comments. its relentless :lol:

i dont think ive ever seen a prospect lose so much stock just from one fight, much less one that he """won""". just a textbook case in how to handle everything completely wrong.

It wasn't just the fight, it started the week before with his unprovoked attack on Ariel, and Ariel bringing receipts. All the comments were saying "love ya paddy but this sucks man"

Then when doubled down and kept lying, and kept talking himself up, it got worse, on every video he appeared in, including ones like Amelia's Chicken Shop Dates.

Then to have a performance like that, and call for "fight of the night", both in the ring and to Dana afterwards (has anyone done that?), any shine he had has completely gone.

CarlCX posted:

Yeah, like, Paddy Pimblett is a dumb rear end in a top hat, but he's made the conscious choice to be a dumb rear end in a top hat. He's long since committed wholesale to the Conor-lite thing, it's not like he can dial it back now. He's going to ride it without ever deviating right up until the moment someone completely breaks his poo poo, and I can only hope that it is Ilia Topuria.

But he wasn't a dumb rear end in a top hat, was he? He was a loveable happy-go-lucky scouser who spoke up about bullies and stuff.

Have we ever seen such a complete burn and turn in less than a week?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Its impressive that 'losing every minute of his fight until he got the knockout against a guy who was brought in to lose to him' didn't take the shine off but being mean to Ariel Helwani did. Some real 'got Al Capone for tax evasion' stuff.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Bucky Fullminster posted:

But he wasn't a dumb rear end in a top hat, was he? He was a loveable happy-go-lucky scouser who spoke up about bullies and stuff.

No, he definitely was. And a racist one at that. He cut a good babyface promo that one time, but he was very much a dumb rear end in a top hat before and after it.

The post a few months back proclaiming that Paddy--clearly not a top 15 level talent--was better than Conor McGregor ever was remains one of the most eyebrow-raising takes I've seen, but Jared Gordon being too much for him at this stage of their careers is still surprising. Probably better to just have him and Molly stay regional heroes unless Paddy really shows he's leveled up his game.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Have we ever seen such a complete burn and turn in less than a week?

Yeah, Post-Fight Interview Paddy and The Rest Of the Time Paddy have always been very different things. Like, yes, he talked about the terrible effects of bullying and the need for compassion--in relation to people calling him fat. He was then promptly banned from twitter (for the second time; the first was for stoking anti-immigrant hatred) for calling a bunch of other people fat and telling them to kill themselves. Also telling Mohammed Mokaev he would never be British because he wasn't born there, and calling Ilia Topuria a mixed-race mongrel, and at one point calling the entire nation of Georgia idiots who deserve to be killed by Russia, etc. etc. He turns on the charm when it counts, but he's kind of a giant toolbag.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Paddy Pimblett lost the minute Gordon came out to Stevie Nix

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

LADS LADS LADS LADS LADS LADS LADS LADS

Aren't you not supposed to get high while in the testing pool?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

let's just cram all of this exceptionally lovely championship matchmaking in before 2022 is over
https://twitter.com/The_MMA_Media/status/1602433795172573184

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

CarlCX posted:

let's just cram all of this exceptionally lovely championship matchmaking in before 2022 is over
https://twitter.com/The_MMA_Media/status/1602433795172573184

From a competitive standpoint this is very dumb but they've been beefing for years and it's not a bad matchup stylistically

mister
Dec 18, 2011
At first I thought Paddy had a bit of a point under all the shittiness. I mean calling Ariel dog whistle anti-semitic names is super lovely, and he's done similar things often enough that he shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt, but asking for appearance fees isn't unreasonable. Ariel is getting paid for these podcasts so why shouldn't the fighters get compensated for their time? They get paid little enough as it is and you can't pay rent in exposure.

Then I saw today that DJ said when Paddy asked him to appear on Paddy's podcast there was never any offer of pay. So Paddy is a hypocrite as well as a race baiting turd.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mister posted:

At first I thought Paddy had a bit of a point under all the shittiness. I mean calling Ariel dog whistle anti-semitic names is super lovely, and he's done similar things often enough that he shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt, but asking for appearance fees isn't unreasonable. Ariel is getting paid for these podcasts so why shouldn't the fighters get compensated for their time? They get paid little enough as it is and you can't pay rent in exposure.

Then I saw today that DJ said when Paddy asked him to appear on Paddy's podcast there was never any offer of pay. So Paddy is a hypocrite as well as a race baiting turd.

The reason the podcasts don't pay the fighters is the same reason the TV show doesn't pay the advertiser: the podcast is performing the service for the fighter and not vise versa .

Pro sports doesn't exist without a media infrastructure to promote it.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

CommonShore posted:

The reason the podcasts don't pay the fighters is the same reason the TV show doesn't pay the advertiser: the podcast is performing the service for the fighter and not vise versa .

Most profitable podcasts pay comedians now and lord knows it's the only way anyone has heard of most of us. The fighters are doing labor, they have the right to want to get paid for it

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

mister posted:

Fighters can ask to be paid for interviews if they want. It's basically unheard of, but they are free to do so. And the journalists are free to say "nah we're good". And then everyone moves on.

The issue is that Paddy lied about the whole thing.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

It also would be nice if Paddy turned some of that desire to get paid towards Dana White - y'know, the guy who notoriously stiffs his fighters - instead of french kissing his entire butthole.

mister
Dec 18, 2011

CommonShore posted:

I think that's backwards. The media infrastructure grew up around the sport, not the other way around.

The time that fighters spend on podcasts is time they aren't spending on training or teaching or other things that directly make them money. Yes, there is a chance it could pay off by helping build a fanbase, but if this were any other profession we would be saying "never work on spec."

Unperson_47 posted:

It also would be nice if Paddy turned some of that desire to get paid towards Dana White - y'know, the guy who notoriously stiffs his fighters - instead of french kissing his entire butthole.

Oh, he absolutely isn't doing this for the good of the other fighters. If he was he would put his money where his mouth is and start by paying the people he invites on his podcast. He did it because Dana hates Ariel and he thought he could score some cheap points by trashing him.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It may not be ethical to interview people getting paid to do it because it might affect how they answer questions. These interviews aren't exclusively for entertainment.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

TheKingslayer posted:

It may not be ethical to interview people getting paid to do it because it might affect how they answer questions. These interviews aren't exclusively for entertainment.

or to pay people to conduct the interviews in case it affects the questions they ask.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mister posted:

I think that's backwards. The media infrastructure grew up around the sport, not the other way around.

The time that fighters spend on podcasts is time they aren't spending on training or teaching or other things that directly make them money. Yes, there is a chance it could pay off by helping build a fanbase, but if this were any other profession we would be saying "never work on spec."

Oh, he absolutely isn't doing this for the good of the other fighters. If he was he would put his money where his mouth is and start by paying the people he invites on his podcast. He did it because Dana hates Ariel and he thought he could score some cheap points by trashing him.

Nope. Pro sports didn't exist until the 19th century, when newspapers began reporting on prize fights and ball games. If the media apparatus dissolves, including broadcasting, podcasting, sports writing and the rest, pro sports dies instantly.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

or to pay people to conduct the interviews in case it affects the questions they ask.

If it dries up the MMA media business and I never have to hear a fighter's dumb opinion again then... sure, book it.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

mister posted:

It's both. The sport obviously predated the media infrastructure but it also required that infrastructure to grow. The UFC played nice with as many journalists and journalistic companies as it possibly could back when it actually needed them because the sport was perceived as a seedy murderhole where guys beat each other to death and no one was going to take the UFC's word that it wasn't. They needed the Karyn Bryants and Ariel Helwanis and even the TapouT shitheads to evangelize and spread the sport for them. It's why Dana making GBS threads on Bryant back in the day got him wrist-slapped so hard by the Fertittas that he had to apologize and (temporarily) shut down all of his media. The UFC wouldn't have gotten where it has if it didn't have an engaged media apparatus supporting it, and its fighters, outside of first-party channels. The whole reason we've seen the UFC turn so hard on every journalist who isn't a completely deferential sycophant is they don't need them anymore, and haven't since the buyout. There's no more positive for them in the relationship, so three's no reason for them to be anything but as antagonistic as it pleases the c-suite to be.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Most of the major mma media people work for organizations, they don't work for themselves. For example, if Luke and Brian from Morning Kombat have a crazy exclusive interview with Conor McGregor, and it blows up and gets 10 million views, Luke and Brian don't get paid for each additional click. They have a set contract. They would like to have high ratings when it comes down to renegotiate their contracts, but having that one crazy video with Conor isn't going to have any meaningful impact on their negotiations.

-----------------------------------------------

There also needs to be a distinction... most of these people are "MMA media" they are not journalists.

Chuck Mindenhall tracking down a fighter from Ultimate Fighter 1, and writing an article about him "IN SEARCH OF STRANGE BREW...".
THAT'S journalism.
https://www.mmafighting.com/2015/3/24/8259545/in-search-of-strange-brew

Being a talking head on a youtube channel, giving your opinion on the scoring of Paddy vs Gordon, and then talking about who Paddy should fight next. That's MMA media.

If a fighter has a large enough fan base to make an impact on the viewers of a MMA media show, they should be paid. But those same fighters should also want as much exposure as possible to grow their fan base even more, and should be willing to do interviews for free.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Bluedeanie posted:

Lots of other potential mma cooking show ideas:
-Chris Leben scavenging for road kill and getting diarrhea

maybe my favorite leben memory is when he left a candy bar at the hotel front desk for his opponent mark muñoz as his thanks for the scrap. the note was like 8 words long and a quarter were misspelled. he also drew a dick on the note

show idea: leben could travel the country with koscheck looking for leben's dad and in every city, leben duct tapes kos to an underpass where leben graffitis a positive- but poorly-spelled message on one side of mr motorboat-his-rear end and another encouraging folks to spit on, beat, or otherwise humiliate josh

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mister posted:

Iirc, part of this came out that Paddy was being paid by Howler Head or someone's stuff to do appearances and it's somehow linked to being owned by Dana White. Basically was something related to Dana either way but not in a "this is to gently caress with Ariel" kind of way.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Stephen A Smith isn't a journalist. Appearing on his show boosts YOUR profile. Its an entertainment show.

I think we need to be clear about what we are talking about.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Skjorte posted:

The post a few months back proclaiming that Paddy--clearly not a top 15 level talent--was better than Conor McGregor ever was remains one of the most eyebrow-raising takes I've seen

I refuse to believe that this exists

mister
Dec 18, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Nope. Pro sports didn't exist until the 19th century, when newspapers began reporting on prize fights and ball games. If the media apparatus dissolves, including broadcasting, podcasting, sports writing and the rest, pro sports dies instantly.

I would lean more towards CarlCX's interpretation that they go together, but this is getting a bit far afield from my point. The fighters are not like advertisers because they are performing a service by appearing on the podcast. No one watches a TV show just to see the commercials (except maybe the superbowl), but I absolutely have listened to a podcast that I probably wouldn't have otherwise because one of my favorite fighters was on that day.

TheKingslayer posted:

That's a fair point. Definitely a problem if you are doing serious investigative journalism, but the majority of these podcast appearances that I have listened to don't really try to do that. They tend to be more like talk shows which people do get paid to do either directly by the show or indirectly because they are doing something like promoting an upcoming movie and have media appearances in their contract for that.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Imo it's not OK for analysis and opinion to have a conflict of interest either

I mean it's sports, not like the UN, but I won't listen to anyone that pays the subjects they cover

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

One, Bellator, UFC should pay so that the podcast talks about their promotions!!

I don't listen to podcasts for commercials, but sometimes I will listen to a podcast that talks about the UFC!!!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's strange that fightnight doesn't have a talk show, but I gather it's because of the ESPN deal

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Stephen A Smith isn't a journalist. Appearing on his show boosts YOUR profile. Its an entertainment show.

I think we need to be clear about what we are talking about.
Crab rangoon, things of that nature.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Boco_T posted:

Crab rangoon, things of that nature.

Be that as it may

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

mister posted:

The time that fighters spend on podcasts

Is time they spend on building their profile and their brand and likeability and marketability and making new fans and building buzz and calling out other fighters etc, which is ultimately how they make money.

But the issue here isn't whether fighters can or should ask for payment for interviews, although that is a potentially interesting subject. Nor is it about who or what is a journalist.

This all happened last year - Paddy's manager asked Ariel for a budget, Ariel said "pass", and that was basically it. The next day Ariel asked someone "yo has anyone ever asked you for payment?", to which they replied "no, that's whack", and he never mentioned it again.

Paddy's manager put out a post on instagram saying "fighters should get paid for interviews!" and still no one made any kind of big deal about it. Whether or not Paddy('s manager) is right to demand payment is a seperate conversation, which could have happened last year, but that's not what's going on with this story.

This is 100% about Paddy telling completely unprovoked and easily disprovable lies about Ariel, and the community laughing at the rake that's smacked him in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Paddy's response was also at some point "no I didn't even mean an interview, I was just calling Helwani to see if he wanted to grab a beer", it's just layers of bullshit.