Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What best approximates your holiday experience?
This poll is closed.
A time of festivities with family and friends that reminds you of life and love 5 13.89%
A time of rumination and reflection as you consider your year and the next 4 11.11%
A time of quiet, cloudy depression where you fold yourself in shows and video games until it's over 17 47.22%
A time to smoke just so much god damned weed 10 27.78%
Total: 36 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
He's about to be 37, at the lower weight classes and after always cutting a ton of weight, I don't see how he'd be able to stay competitive at the top UFC level. Might be going to PFL to collect a big bag of cash though. Could be something else though :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1599919999581245440

Helwani says he just talked to TJ's management so uhhhh?

but yeah actually maybe

Eat This Glob posted:

dillashaw taking the conor route of "retiring" or otherwise taking himself out of the testing fuel to eat horse meat with overeem for 18 months?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

seems like Poirier isn't quite out of the woods yet

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Hollandia posted:

Not sure if this was posted here before:

Do not post this kind of poo poo.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

drat I missed it, what kind of poo poo should we not post? I already know all of the rules, but I'm asking for a friend.

Unfunny tweets from twitter trolls, unless of course they're notable (fighters, managers, journalists, fight org officials, etc are all fine)

TheTofuShop posted:

Pretty sure that was the rather graphic image of Poirers bad case of Staph in his foot.

Nah that one's just on the previous page.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

TheTofuShop posted:

Ah my bad, fwiw id prefer not to have that kind of graphic imagery posted in the thread but I also get that we are all watching punchsports so that stuff might get posted, and gruesome violence is something we all kinda buy into to some degree.

Yeah I considered it about that picture but it didn't really seem that bad to me, the thing that stands out at first glance is actually just a drawn line so the docs can keep track of where the infection is, the rest is mostly swelling and the little spot where presumably the infection got in. If it's like big open wounds and such it should probably be spoiler tagged.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

CarlCX posted:

That was after Sherk had dropped down to 155 pounds, unfortunately.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019349&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Come on back to the GDT for our last goddamn PPV. Prelims start in 30.

Fights actually starting on time. Cya in the GDT.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
lmao

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Glover getting that title shot is what should have happened in the first place, so at least we're getting that now.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

What?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

kimbo305 posted:

He clarified that translation:
https://www.lowkickmma.com/magomed-ankalaev-post-fight-mistranslation/
Unless it was saving face? Brut?

I stopped listening to the interview when his first two answers were "Waaaaah, where's my belt, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah". If you have the footage I'll listen to it again but otherwise since it's PPV I don't have access to it.

fakeedit: okay I checked youtube and it's just available, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Q1s_MKO9w, hang on.

First answer: I don't know what to say, I won the fight, for some reason they didn't give me the belt, I don't know what this is.
Second answer: Well I can't win (in the eyes of) these judges that are sitting here judging, but I won the fight, I won the belt, where's my belt? (note: this got translated as "I can't choose the judges", but I think the translator misheard him there)
Third answer: It doesn't matter if my legs hurt or not, but I did everything to achieve victory
Fourth answer: I always do everything to achieve victory, if I'm losing in the standup I start wrestling, if I'm losing at wrestling I'll fight standing, I can do it either way it makes no difference, but I don't know what this is, will I fight here again I also don't know.

Yeah it seems like the translator ran with that and said organization when he shouldn't have, to the point where when Rogan (and the translator relayed) said the organization does not choose the judges or who the winner is, Ankalaev's first response is basically "what do you mean?", translator says well meaning that it is the judges fault and not the organization's fault, Ankalaev goes on to thank his supporters/club and all that stuff.

tl;dr: he said "here" and I don't think he meant UFC as a whole.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Shumagorath posted:

I didn’t watch the card; how did PP bomb so badly?

You should watch the card, it was good until the co-main/main (I didn't think the main event was that bad either but my expectations were low for it)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Paddy's response was also at some point "no I didn't even mean an interview, I was just calling Helwani to see if he wanted to grab a beer", it's just layers of bullshit.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
I'll try to edit out people's huge quotes if I see that poo poo, if I miss it feel free to report the post and/or PM me. I probably don't actually wanna probe for that stuff unless someone is an intentional repeat offender.

Combined monthly thread is good. Combined GDTs are fine but we just need to more aggressively link it here cuz people see "Bellator" or something as the first word of the title and don't read on to realize it's also the UFC GDT or whatever.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Keep in mind that the Dumb Combat People on Social Media Thread was originally created because the grappling thread wanted to focus on talking about doing the actual grappling rather than dumb opinions/bigotry of other people who happen to be doing grappling. Nobody in the MMA thread is talking about being a mixed martial artist themselves or asking for technique advice, so it's kind of a different vibe here.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah but also I don't give a gently caress that the guy that gets punched in the brain for money has bad opinions, I already expect it as their default state.

For the people that have fetishized making themselves miserable at all times, they can go to that thread and they can gorge themselves at the unending bad opinions buffet, there will be no shortages.

If a fighter manages to not be an idiot on social media, then that can be posted here.

I'm just saying it doesn't seem like this has been an actual issue in the MMA threads, I haven't seen people telling others to take it to that thread (maybe like once), and I don't think I've seen reports about it either. I don't really have a strong personal opinion on the matter though since I'm gonna end up reading that poo poo anyway.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Yeah if it gets wildly out of hand I'm sure I'll notice it, otherwise feel free to report any individual posts that you think are a problem, even if they don't specifically break an existing rule, you'll basically never catch poo poo for well-meaning reports here, so press the button more ya'll.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

CommonShore posted:

Also lurkers matter but they should turn themselves into posters.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

ccubed posted:

Judge Douglas Crosby Responds to Criticism Regarding Controversial Scorecards

Some highlights:

Good job making me hate Doug Crosby even more Doug Crosby.

Holy gently caress what an rear end in a top hat.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Just loving say the first 10 fights were finishes and you were feeling sleepy cuz you had nothing to do, gently caress.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

delightful posted:

I wouldn't mind paying for UFC if it wasn't so damned expensive. Without linking to any :files:, I hate the streaming sites. Just non-stop nazi comments kills my buzz for good cards. I hate that my options are: overpay for mediocre quality or immerse myself in the absolute worst of humanity. Why are so many MMA fans the most racist pieces of poo poo you've ever seen? (This is rhetorical)

blue footed boobie posted:

Just maximize the video and ignore the chat?

Yeah just insta-close the chat (or better yet, block it in your adblocker so you don't have to keep manually doing it) and open up the GDT here instead.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

According to the video description that's the first event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Eh, while some money is almost certainly being funneled from kadyrov via ali to the fighters that go over there, I doubt that's the case with tate brothers or other such "celebrities" that fighters end up hanging out with, though to be clear I'm purely speculating.