Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What best approximates your holiday experience?
This poll is closed.
A time of festivities with family and friends that reminds you of life and love 5 13.89%
A time of rumination and reflection as you consider your year and the next 4 11.11%
A time of quiet, cloudy depression where you fold yourself in shows and video games until it's over 17 47.22%
A time to smoke just so much god damned weed 10 27.78%
Total: 36 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Cortez was going for her 5th straight in the UFC right? Kinda surprised she hasn't been thrown into title contention given that streak already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The other issue is Moreno has a fight booked a little over a month from now to unify the belts with Diveson. That's loving rough to have to change champs on such short notice. His whole life would be around that gym. I get why the UFC has to do it because the interest it garners from gambling alone is massive but still. Just brutal for a fighter with the dumbest nickname in combat sports.

forkboy84 posted:

They should look into the UFC President's own history with sports gambling next

AFAIK he just bets on boxing and counts cards but ooo boy there's a lot here that could come out. I know Rogan used to bet on fights and give his friends betting advice but stopped a long time ago, but that temptation would be tough if you were around the UFC and you heard someone was carrying an injury or had a horrible weight cut etc.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

You can go listen to canadian kermit cry about no one talking to incels and still be a good dude. Bobby knuckles will always own.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Staph is incredibly lovely to get but if the drugs start to work you turn around super fast.

gently caress it's exhausting though when you have it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Isn't that exactly what wraps are designed to prevent/help against? :stonk:

Yeah, but like anything done for safety it only mitigates.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

It’s hard for me to get into the mind of an idiot, but i think it’d be weird for Rogan to put it out there if he had talked to Conor directly about it. I assume it’s drawing the obvious conclusion like he did with Liver King.

It was just in the context of the whole liver king fiasco and fitness influencers etc in general.

Derek from more plates more dates brought it up and they discussed what someone would use to recover as fast as they could from an injury.

Tbh Conors physique doesn't look outside the realm of normalcy for an elite athlete just spending hours in the gym every day focussing on strength but ahit he probably juiced. You've got hundreds of millions of dollars and access to the right doctors and you're not going to be tested.

Not to be all if you ain't cheating you ain't trying but I mean... who wouldn't?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The foots fine imo. Seen worse after people cop elbows. Spicy dumb twitter stuff is kinda a bane on the forums.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

COPE 27 posted:

I think the bigger problem is that he's fought 4 times in 5 years in a rapidly evolving sport.

Yeah its kinda this. Chandler has fought 4 times in the time conor has fought once.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Paddy has been getting punched in the head for money for 10 years. He's not going to be splitting the atom anytime soon. In a perfect world they'd all be smart enough to put the right people around them to build their brand without them needing to do much of anything. For 99% of GSPs career I couldn't have told you his opinions on anything except dinosaurs and women (of course).

I try to just enjoy fights for the fights and celebrate the cool people and generally ignore the dickheads. Because in a sport full of dudes who kinda skipped education, come from working class backgrounds from far flung corners of the globe you're not exactly going to get a nuanced opinions on a lot of things.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Education and socio-economic background have nothing to do with making poo poo up to assassinate someone's character, and telling the truth is not splitting the atom.

It has a whole lot to do with why you'd make poo poo up and lie and think you can get away with it.

Speaking of people who make poo poo up for a living. Mike Dolce has been a whole lot quieter since Liver King got exposed. Probably dodging the need to post a blood test result.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

USADA has a whole resource for reducing risk on buying supplements but there's no telling if the athletes are even aware or care to use it. Of course it can be debated how useful the resource itself is I'm sure.

I thought there was an app now where you could myfitness pal style scan your supps?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

wow. conor must have tortured him or something. with cameras rolling artem's response to being completely emasculated by khabib was to poo poo his pants so god knows what conor had to do for him to take the offensive like this.

To be fair to Artem, if Khabib was mad at me I'd poo poo myself too. poo poo man, I own guns and even if I was holding one I'd probably still be prairie doggin.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE THREADS:
I wasn't a fan of this at first, but I actually quite enjoyed it because it gave me a reason to go back and watch some smaller orgs I might not have bothered to keep up with when parsing a thread. I haven't had any moments reading the combined ones where I've been bothered in the least by it.

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE GDTS: Same as above

MY ENDLESS WORD VOMIT: I like to read them on my lunch breaks or break between gym and work, or if its on a weekend with my morning coffee while I wait for the card to start. I quite enjoy your write ups. If you're struggling with the effort and time it takes I would think there's probably some fights you could write a short couple of sentences with and save the deeper dives for the more important fights, even if they're fights you feel are more important. Your interest and passion shines through, so I'd hate to see that die off through burn out.

OKAY, BUT HOW ARE YOU DOING: ye good mate

kimbo305 posted:

Wrt thread overlaps, I wanted to bring up
The Dumb Combat People on Social Media Thread
It's only about a year old, so I'm not sure that the extent to which social media is separable from real life has changed any from then...

but -- I feel like it's inefficient to isolate fighters' viewpoints/beefs/stories from social media from the rest of our discussion.
There is a minority(?) of posters who prefer not to know or discuss figthers' political stances, and I understand that, but I also think it's inevitable, so we might as well.

As an example of how social media ties it all together:

This is the kind of thing where I want to get enough detail to know who's in the right, who's in the wrong. I saw the video -- Shields had Jackson mounted, and Jackson wasn't fighting back. I'm not sure he could have gotten out of a Shields mount even if he tried his hardest, but he was sitting there going "why is no one pulling this Nazi off of me? Really?"

Onto my point -- that assault was 4 days ago. Today, John Danaher posts:

That seems pretty cool in a bubble, but it's Danaher -- there's no way he doesn't understand the message of what he's posting. At the very least, you know he doesn't disqualify associating with Shields over all this.

In a better world, we could all just be making Diaz drinking airplane water making him fat jokes.

Not to defend shields in any way, but I honestly don't think Danaher thinks for more than 5 minutes about anything other than martial arts. The dude didn't even have a couch or TV in his house for a long time, he had a bed and grappling mats and would eat acai bowls watching jiu jitsu on his mats of a night.

CommonShore posted:

Imo the containment thread's function isn't so much to keep the news about fighters all positive, but rather to prevent the lovely news about fighters and associated derails from making the main thread into a bummer battleground. If we had posts here every time Jake Shields was terrible, we might as well rename it to be the Jake Shields thread. Not even Jake Shields deserves that fate.

The origin of that thread is actually from the grappling thread where Gordon Ryan and his lovely views were generating more posts than the actual grappling. It's like, yeah, I see why it's relevant and I'll read about it, but can we go back to improving our hug based martial arts now please if not I'll just unbookmark

I'd be ok if the rule was to post here but discuss there.

I think if someone has a full on meltdown that affects their standing in their org it's probably newsworthy, if someone doesn't vote the way people think they should I don't really care to hear a three page derail about it when I want to discuss in cage stuff.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Can they not find someone else for Whittaker to fight in Perth?

Honestly? Probably not. It's 7 weeks away and here's your current top 10

Israel - out
Pereira - out
Whittaker -
Cannonier - just fought
Vettori - Booked
Brunson - Injured
Costa - welp
Strickland - just fought
Dolidze - Booked
Hermannson - Just got knocked out like 2 weeks ago
Du Plessis - just fought

Plus I would imagine anyone that's not locked into a fight camp already would be 100% in holiday mode being fat and happy and not likely to want to do a full training camp in 7 weeks somehow and drag their training partners and coaches away from their families to face the hardest match up not named Adesanya in the division.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Brut posted:

I'm just saying it doesn't seem like this has been an actual issue in the MMA threads, I haven't seen people telling others to take it to that thread (maybe like once), and I don't think I've seen reports about it either. I don't really have a strong personal opinion on the matter though since I'm gonna end up reading that poo poo anyway.

It tends to slop over into other threads though. People get weird and abusive over their little ideological tendencies.

Its not a problem for the most part but it can become one pretty quick. It's a cancer in a lot of forums.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wtf how?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Such a tragedy even if he went off the rails towards the end. Shame he couldn't find peace in life.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Apparently early bjj allowed slaps and they took it out and went the more like wrestling/judo/oly sports route only for Eddie bravo to bring it back a couple years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

on one hand it sucks Aldo is giving off-brand trumq a place to stay, but otoh he’s staying in the Minion room on nasty polyester everything

Have never once heard this; BJJ already came about in the vale tudo era so it was about not getting punched or soccer kicked never mind slapped

Really? I've heard it from two separate instructors I had at completely unrelated schools.