Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What best approximates your holiday experience?
This poll is closed.
A time of festivities with family and friends that reminds you of life and love 5 13.89%
A time of rumination and reflection as you consider your year and the next 4 11.11%
A time of quiet, cloudy depression where you fold yourself in shows and video games until it's over 17 47.22%
A time to smoke just so much god damned weed 10 27.78%
Total: 36 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

yeah think about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fun fact: the first UFC fighter to call out James Krause for being a weirdo creep was actually Joaquin Buckley, and it was ages ago (after his first or second UFC fight) and nobody paid attention. I only caught that because somewhere along the line I saw Krauses's retort.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

there was also that time during the fox deal when ariel was paid by both fox and ufc to be a "journalist" and acted like getting paid by the ufc to cover the ufc wasn't any kind of conflict of interest

Also, the more damning thing about the Brock Debacle (Brockbacle) is him getting booted also meant Esther Lin and Casey Leydon were barred from covering UFC in person for a bit and they are good and cool, which isn't fair to them

yeah this is why I hate him more than him being a dweeb (who among us...). He's a Serious Responsible Journalist until someone gives him a pastrami sandwich and then he's a stooge.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack Slack was saying that Jiri's shoulder was injured so badly because it separated and then three people tried to pop it back in instead of going to the doctor

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tune in to Fill the Bowl with Power Slop with Mike Dolce to see what kind of Power Slop Mike Dolce fills the bowl with

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mister posted:

At first I thought Paddy had a bit of a point under all the shittiness. I mean calling Ariel dog whistle anti-semitic names is super lovely, and he's done similar things often enough that he shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt, but asking for appearance fees isn't unreasonable. Ariel is getting paid for these podcasts so why shouldn't the fighters get compensated for their time? They get paid little enough as it is and you can't pay rent in exposure.

Then I saw today that DJ said when Paddy asked him to appear on Paddy's podcast there was never any offer of pay. So Paddy is a hypocrite as well as a race baiting turd.

The reason the podcasts don't pay the fighters is the same reason the TV show doesn't pay the advertiser: the podcast is performing the service for the fighter and not vise versa .

Pro sports doesn't exist without a media infrastructure to promote it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mister posted:

I think that's backwards. The media infrastructure grew up around the sport, not the other way around.

The time that fighters spend on podcasts is time they aren't spending on training or teaching or other things that directly make them money. Yes, there is a chance it could pay off by helping build a fanbase, but if this were any other profession we would be saying "never work on spec."

Oh, he absolutely isn't doing this for the good of the other fighters. If he was he would put his money where his mouth is and start by paying the people he invites on his podcast. He did it because Dana hates Ariel and he thought he could score some cheap points by trashing him.

Nope. Pro sports didn't exist until the 19th century, when newspapers began reporting on prize fights and ball games. If the media apparatus dissolves, including broadcasting, podcasting, sports writing and the rest, pro sports dies instantly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mister posted:

No, I agree that Paddy is a shithead for the lies and all the other stuff, I said that right from the start. The part I wanted to discuss is the question "should the fighters get paid for doing media?"

There definitely are some ethical issues with paying interviewees, but the idea that they shouldn't be paid because they are already benefiting in exposure doesn't sit well with me. If I have an artist paint a mural on my building, that would also build their profile and brand and could lead to other jobs for them. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't be paid for it.

In this analogy the Ariel is the local news reporter who writes a story about how there's a new mural and people should check it out, and not the owner of the building, who, in this analogy is WME-IMG.

The sports media circuit isn't your usual "for exposure" drek - it's very much a mutually beneficial relationship in that the media platform brings an audience in the way that a television show brings an audience which puts eyes on advertising.

Now the fighters absolutely should get paid if the media is something that's mandatory and mandated by WME-IMG, but these are different things.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's also possible that Strickland's jab is good enough to make Cannonier go "I've tried running straight at him but I got punched in the face once and now I'm all out of ideas so I'm going to stand here and do nothing for the next 22 minutes" much like Izzy's counterpunching did.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Conor has been officially taken off the UFC ranking

:o

e. pikachu

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bobby Green's test failure that resulted in a 6 month USADA suspension was from tainted supplements. His explanation was that he knew that it was not safe to buy supplements from GNC so he went to Walmart instead.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CarlCX posted:

I went back to do some curiously obsessive numbercrunching now that the breakdowns for 2022 are finally over, and I wanted to share and also say a thing before I descend fully into an irony coma for the remainder of the year.

First off: If you read the totality of every single thread, including the stuff that was recycled month to month, a) are you okay, and b) you consumed 152,010 words.

Second: In a year with 42 UFC cards (not counting TUF or Road to UFC), I wound up writing 43 breakdowns, because gently caress you, Khamzat, that's why.

And finally: In the first twelve months of carl's fight breakdowns my ongoing existential Chase Sherman crisis managed to outstrip Moby-Dick, as we wound up with a wordcount of 224,302.

That's a lot more than I thought I would wind up doing. At the start of the year my only real intention was to keep CommonShore's magic going, and I dunno that I would have experimented more, and I DEFINITELY know that I wouldn't have opened a substack and started posting poo poo on twitter, were it not for everyone's support and occasional supportive prodding. I make $8 from the substack and by god, it's my favorite eight dollars in every given month.

So thank you, for the reading, for the community, and for the support. Thank you boco and lobmob for your own consistently excellent writeups, and thank you mekchu, marching powder, and everyone else who's shared randomly inspired things over the year.

Something must be off on your numbers there because your breakdowns word count is more than the thread totals, unless I'm misreading something.

But whatever to that - more important, thanks for picking up the torch. I was thinking just last night (about something unrelated) that someone wanting to take over for you can be a form of compliment, so I'll take it. You've really expanded the whole affair beyond my "look at the card on tapology on Wednesday, make some remarks about which fights are interesting, make a joke, maybe a prediction, and move on." My original intention was just to point out that a single, specific card was actually something to be hype about, even if the UFC didn't seem to know it! Now we have actual research and analysis, with you rewatching fights and stuff to make proper factual statements about the fights, which is far superior to my flawed memory. I hope that we can get you (and the other goons with MMA substacks) some outside attention, if you want it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

lol

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TheKingslayer posted:

I think at some point athletes were asked to get two of whatever supplements so the sealed one could be tested in case you pissed hot. But I may be making that up.

Not making it up. Specifically they were advised to keep one from any batch in reserve. It's how Yoel got off.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

-all of the combined things are good and should continue.

-You should feel less pressure to produce so many words especially for fights that don't matter. Maybe give yourself the restriction of only writing more than 100 words for 5 fights on a card?

-The steam giveaways are fun but not necessary. After I won one I stopped claiming the ones I saw because I didn't want you to feel obligated to give me something though I got a few hours out of the dodgeball game you gave me even though I was bad at it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Imo the containment thread's function isn't so much to keep the news about fighters all positive, but rather to prevent the lovely news about fighters and associated derails from making the main thread into a bummer battleground. If we had posts here every time Jake Shields was terrible, we might as well rename it to be the Jake Shields thread. Not even Jake Shields deserves that fate.

The origin of that thread is actually from the grappling thread where Gordon Ryan and his lovely views were generating more posts than the actual grappling. It's like, yeah, I see why it's relevant and I'll read about it, but can we go back to improving our hug based martial arts now please if not I'll just unbookmark

I'd be ok if the rule was to post here but discuss there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah we probably don't need a sustained rule like the IOSM or Chris Regal threads, just a broader guideline and a general agreement to move discussion there if it drags out into just gossiping about a fighter, and maybe to start there if it's more of a social media thing in the first place.

Also lurkers matter but they should turn themselves into posters.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

nothing known yet that I can see, but his last few years were extremely sad as a whole.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So far I've remembered

• That time he got in the best shape of his life to fight anderson silva and got smoked in a round and then failed a drug test
  • That time he was used as a dummy for George Dillman by investigative reporters
  • That time he had an NC (accidental headbutt/cut) against Krystof Soszynski and the scar was shaped like a K

He never fought for a title (from memory he had losses to 5 fighters who held UFC titles at some point in their careers), and he earned exactly 1 FOTN performance bonus through his whole UFC run, and he only failed drug tests a couple a times, but in a weird way he was the most median, central, average, representative MMA fighter out there. What's an MMA fighter? Stefan Bonnar. For better, or for worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Jeff Molina is out of his fight with Jimmy Flick and has been suspended by Nevada athletic commission for possible involvement with the "The" James Krause gambling situation

https://www.mmamania.com/2022/12/25/23526031/james-krause-student-jeff-molina-suspended-by-nevada-state-athletic-commission

What if it turns out like that episode of Growing Pains but instead of staying up all night writing the answers on the soles of his sneakers James Krause spent all of the time studying fighters and fighting to be able to scam the gambling system effectively and that just made him a better coach