Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Highlights from the group stage:

Group A: Qatar finished as the worst team in World Cup history becoming the first host nation to lose all three of their group stage games. A record befitting this utter farce of a tournament. gently caress 'em.

Group B: Iran and Wales didn't do the thing so we're stuck with England and the USA. More importantly we're stuck with their respective garbage-rear end posters (my monitor is off). I want both of these teams lose as quickly as possible and as humiliatingly as possible.

Group C: Train enthusiast Messi lives to fight another day, but we can still laugh at Argentina for losing to Saudi Arabia.

Group D: AUSSIE! AUSSIE! AUSSIE!

Group E: やった!! Let's all lol and lmao at Germany too. I would be remiss if I didn't also recognize the glorious, shining moment where Japan and Costa Rica were atop the group and both Spain and Germany would have failed to qualify. poo poo was five minutes of pure, uncut joy.

Group F: Atlas Lions gently caress yeah! Blegum's golden generation crashed out after Big Rom failed to score any of his 8 million sitters and I guess they were all loving each other's girlfriends or something to boot. Good poo poo all around.

Group G: Neymar died of ankle, Brazil walked to qualification, and Serbia did a racism. Some things never change.

Group H: Ronaldo became the only person to ever score in five World Cups on a babyshit soft penalty that shouldn't have been given. He followed up this monumental achievement by claiming he scored a goal that review conclusively showed he didn't touch at all which is the most Ronaldo thing possible. I hope we never hear from him again now that he's going to gently caress off to the Saudi league for all of the money. Good riddance.

----

After today's matches, here's the bracket:

You should cheering for these teams to win their matches:
  • Netherlands and USA is team meteor, they both should lose.
  • Australia
  • Japan
  • South Korea
  • Senegal
  • Poland
  • Morocco
  • Switzerland
If you support anyone else and/or you don't actively want the funniest/most chaotic outcomes possible, you are a bad person and I hate you. Your team sucks. Yes, you, specifically. :colbert:

Anyway, here's Sepp Blatter falling off a stage because it's always funny:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March
I'm very new to this, can someone please post the Reddit charts for this stage of the tournament?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Big Black Dick posted:

Group H: Ronaldo became the only person to ever score in five World Cups on a babyshit soft penalty that shouldn't have been given. He followed up this monumental achievement by claiming he scored a goal that review conclusively showed he didn't touch at all which is the most Ronaldo thing possible. I hope we never hear from him again now that he's going to gently caress off to the Saudi league for all of the money. Good riddance.

How dare you leave off his assist on South Korea's opener.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Wazzerphuk posted:

I'm very new to this, can someone please post the Reddit charts for this stage of the tournament?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I'm torn between wanting the US to get thrashed vs wanting them to experience losing on penalties for the first time

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

which of these games is going to be the 0-0 snoozer that goes to penalties??

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm happy to place wagers on teams that you want to lose. I went drat near winless in the group stage which you wouldn't think was possible

I single-handedly gave Cameroon today's victory and I feel good about it

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Japan v Croatia and England v Senegal

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
believing in portugal to make it to the semis at least. lets go.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Here is the optimal outcome. God Bless America.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

ilmucche posted:

It will absolutely be USA/Netherlands.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Praying for Poland to stodge France up.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
eurosport has a bracket you can just hop in at the knockout round if we haven't already got one. i made a league.

if we already have a predictor league then im a dummy and ignore me

https://www.eurosport.com/football/world-cup/2022/bracket-wc-2022/leagues/join/AdY5Wu4K

quote:

Knockout Stages

Three points for each correct team prediction that progresses to the next round
Bonus one point for each prediction that gets into the subsequent next round

Bonus Points

Correctly predicting the goal difference - One point
Correctly predicting the home goals scored - One point
Correctly predicting the away goals scored - One point

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 2, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pretty cool this year they are giving out the Golden Whistle award for the VAR that disallows the most goals.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I'm torn between wanting the US to get thrashed vs wanting them to experience losing on penalties for the first time

100% want all the US posters to experience the 'joy' of their team being in a penalty shootout

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Alctel posted:

100% want all the US posters to experience the 'joy' of their team being eliminated in a penalty shootout

ftfy

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Big Black Dick posted:

Netherlands and USA is team meteor, they both should lose.

nope

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Usa should win to make elimination all that sweeter, but also gabbo is cool and should probably win and did u kno lvg had cancer for ages and kept it a secret the tabloids wouldn't lie

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

:dukedog:
news sources are saying that Netherlands players have the flu. USA moves on!

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

huh.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

To explain my gut thinking when picking those, Morocco went unbeaten in their group and could frustrate in the matches I've got them winning, England over France could easily go the other way (my thinking is this is England's best opportunity to get past this French team) in which case they make the final but I think Brazil will ultimately lift it.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
litearlly none of the teams present at this tournament seem to be good in any notable way. france to win on a technicality, being the least terrible

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Every match will be 0-0 decided by a penalty shootout

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

vyelkin posted:

Every match will be 0-0 decided by a penalty shootout

To His Majesty The Emperor, A Ten Thousand Year Reign

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It would be great for some CAF and AFC progress deep into the knockouts. Japan Morocco final would be good.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

To explain my gut thinking when picking those, Morocco went unbeaten in their group and could frustrate in the matches I've got them winning, England over France could easily go the other way (my thinking is this is England's best opportunity to get past this French team) in which case they make the final but I think Brazil will ultimately lift it.

Morocco eliminating the entire Iberian Penisula would be fully dench. The Moorish Empire returns

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Then possibly France in the semis? Can they cross the Pyrenees?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Ungratek posted:

Then possibly France in the semis? Can they cross the Pyrenees?

Is Charles Martel still dead?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Personally feel like a repeat of the 98 final with the reverse result is the most likely outcome. Neymar aside Brazil look up for it and unless England have got a plan for going a goal down against a similar quality side can't see them getting past France

Happy to see an Australia-morocco final though

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This is definitely what will happen op.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Borsche69 posted:

Is Charles Martel still dead?

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
No one cares about your dumb fail bracket prediction. Good op, op.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
I'm going to get up at 6am and watch the Australian subway eat fresh soccer kangaroos

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Tournament is setup beautifully with Spain finishing second as they are now on the side opposite Argentina and Brazil. England Brazil final imo.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Finally... Its coming home

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

a real chump posted:

I'm going to get up at 6am and watch the Australian subway eat fresh soccer kangaroos

hell, same

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Phwoar didn't realise we were going straight into the knockout rounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
growing even more baffled by people continuing to say brazil are the favourites, richarlison scored a worldie but this group seems even more pedestrian than they have been at the last two or three world cups