Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Porrima posted:

I suppose in a 64 team cup UEFA will get... dunno, 18 spots, and CONCACAF will have 18 spots too.

Finally, San Marino's time to shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Barry Shitpeas posted:

it owns that CUM 2026 is going to be the worst WC of my lifetime even before considering the hosts

At this point every World Cup is the worst World Cup ever staged

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

whypick1 posted:

Finally, San Marino's time to shine.

Italy will still fail to qualify

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Korea, please, somehow prevent a boring Brazil vs Argentina semifinal from happening by winning tomorrow, I beg you

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Wenger just on a roll of bringing the poo poo FIFA approved lines

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63849076

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Blasmeister posted:

Wenger just on a roll of bringing the poo poo FIFA approved lines

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63849076

6 groups of 4 converging would legit own. Up the #3s

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

pik_d posted:

Italy will still fail to qualify
All the prominent Italian players will start getting San Marino citizenship.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Crazy Ted posted:

All the prominent Italian players will start getting San Marino citizenship.

I thought the entire Juve academy structure being Sammarinese was just a tax dodge but yours makes more sense.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Total Meatlove posted:

I thought the entire Juve academy structure being Sammarinese was just a tax dodge but yours makes more sense.
All eyes will be on the San Marino national team for the 2034 World Cup after the much-derided "Little Whores of Turin" reached the semi-finals of Euro 2032.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

England v France on Saturday is going to be a proper game, rubbing my thighs in anticipation

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

England v France on Saturday is going to be a proper game, rubbing my thighs in anticipation

didnt you declare for germany at the euros?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

didnt you declare for germany at the euros?

I'm a soldier of fortune, flipping between my two nationalities as it suits.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
https://twitter.com/mrjeffu/status/1599752979783254020?s=43&t=vX9kYJHkp35oSihVovj49Q

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Can't wait to eat that monkey

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Guys I heard a rumor that after football being on TV every day for the last sixteen days, there are supposedly ZERO (0) games on tomorrow!? And also on Thursday?! I would like to speak with the manager please and thank you

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Aggro posted:

Guys I heard a rumor that after football being on TV every day for the last sixteen days, there are supposedly ZERO (0) games on tomorrow!? And also on Thursday?! I would like to speak with the manager please and thank you

That's not true, Stockport are playing Charlton in a second round replay of the fa cup

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Aggro posted:

What have you got against FA Cup Second Round replays?

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
What was the biggest failure we just witnessed?

- Japan being poo poo at penalties?
- Spain being bigger poo poo at penalties?
- Spain’s 1000+ passes with just one shot on target?
- Ronaldo getting benched? (Win for football, failure for him)
- England?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Tortilla Maker posted:

- England?

The Spain ones.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

100% it's Spain living up to every negative stereotype about Spanish football

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Mainwaring posted:

100% it's Spain living up to every negative stereotype about Spanish football

The Spain style of passing you to death worked when you had Xavi/Iniesta/Peak Busquets pulling the strings, moreso when you throw in that combo with Messi at Barca. The thing is, that midfield were cycling possession until players of that ilk saw the killer pass and bang you're dead. That Spain midfield is long gone and they've not had a capable finisher up front since Villa retired.

So, teams like Costa Rica have a bad day and Spain can look like world beaters, but against a team that's not having any of their poo poo they're vulnerable on the counter and struggle to break down well drilled low blocks which just leaves you with endless cycling of possession for the sake of it. They also wilt mentally against teams that don't just stand and admire their triangles on the way to a tap in.

Which is why Morocco were my pick to be the upset of the round. I don't think Portugal are going to enjoy anything like the stroll in the park the Swiss gave them today, on top of which there's a few days of media attention on Ronaldo being benched and whether that has any effect on the camp at all. He was obviously right to be benched, but if he feels disrespected not starting every game for United I can only imagine his inner fury at being not only being benched in a world cup for the first time since he was a teenager but having to watch them not even remotely miss him as well. lol.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 7, 2022

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

It's looking more and more like 2008-12 was the anomaly for Spain and now they're back to what we all remember. And it's great.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
i cannot decide if it will be funnier for england to lose in PKs to france or squeak by in PKs and then lose 1-0 to morocco

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

John McClane posted:

i cannot decide if it will be funnier for england to lose in PKs to france or squeak by in PKs and then lose 1-0 to morocco

It is funny to imagine things that won't happen, agreed

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

John McClane posted:

You must mean lose to portugal

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It would be funny if England won the World Cup haha can you imagine? I sure hope that doesn't happen.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sebzilla posted:

It would be funny if England won the World Cup haha can you imagine? I sure hope that doesn't happen.

Imagining is the only way you'll win it tbf

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
At least we're guaranteed a team that has never won it in the semi finals

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Crocodile Dundee United and the Infantinos both got a laugh out of me

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tortilla Maker posted:

- England?

It is definitely Spain because every year since 2010 we have to listen to how they're a real contender and they're so brilliant to watch and wow can't wait for the beautiful triangles and then this happens:

120 minutes
1,019 passes
1 shot on target
0 goals
0 penalties

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
there's no football today? wtf

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
No games until Friday, and we’re all upset about it

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Well if there are no games to watch until Friday lets talk about referees

The following is the list of referees retained for the quarterfinals and beyond

AFC
1. Abdulrahman Al-Jassim (QAT)
2. Abdulla Mohammed (UAE)

CAF
1. Mustapha Ghorbal (ALG)
2. Victor Gomes (RSA)

CONCACAF
1. Cesar Ramos (MEX)
2. Ivan Barton (SLV)
3. Ismail Elfath (USA)

CONMEBOL
1. Fernando Rapallini (ARG)
2. Facundo Tello (ARG)
3. Raphael Claus (BRA)
4. Wilton Sampaio (BRA)
5. Jesus Valenzuela (VEN)

UEFA
1. Michael Oliver (ENG)
2. Anthony Taylor (ENG)
3. Antonio Mateu Lahoz (ESP)
4. Stephanie Frappart (FRA)
5. Clement Turpin (FRA)
6. Daniele Orsato (ITA)
7. Danny Makkelie (NED)
8. Szymon Marciniak (POL)

With eight matches to go, we only need 16 people assuming no one works twice, so at least four of these folks aren't going to be used. Potential that someone gets a QF and then the final so that would narrow it down some.

I think the final for the favorites are Mateu Lahoz, Orsato, and Marciniak. Mateu Lahoz benefitted *greatly* from Spain losing. He may be one of the only Spaniards in the world that was happy to see them lose - well, maybe not happy, but not devastated. The documentary Les Arbitres back in 2009 showed the spanish ref in 2008 dealing with watching Spain succeed at Euro 2008. In a similar way, Morocco winning my hurt Ismail Elfath. Not that he was a strong candidate for the final necessarily, but if it's a UEFA/CONMEBOL final and both sides (well, mostly argentina) refused to have the other's referee for the final, he could have stood to benefit. However, he's Moroccan by birth, and traditionally that means if they made the semi finals he would be done. So... do they use him now? What about Orsato? He hasn't worked since November 26th. If he's going to do the final you have to work him here in the quarters, right? With the Englishmen, they are in a similar boat - it may be now or never for them. France will probably beat England but if England do win, they are both immediately done, so one of them *has* to work this weekend, right?

All that said, four quarterfinal matches, here's how I think they will line up.

NED/ARG - Orsato
CRO/BRA - One of the Englishmen - I'll go Anthony Taylor
ENG/FRA - Makkelie
MAR/POR - Claus

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

chaoslord posted:

Everyone benefitted *greatly* from Spain losing.

FTFY :v:

Didn't realize Elfath was Moroccan, I just knew him as "one of the MLS refs I swear at the least...I think".

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

chaoslord posted:

Well if there are no games to watch until Friday lets talk about referees

The following is the list of referees retained for the quarterfinals and beyond

AFC
1. Abdulrahman Al-Jassim (QAT)
2. Abdulla Mohammed (UAE)

CAF
1. Mustapha Ghorbal (ALG)
2. Victor Gomes (RSA)

CONCACAF
1. Cesar Ramos (MEX)
2. Ivan Barton (SLV)
3. Ismail Elfath (USA)

CONMEBOL
1. Fernando Rapallini (ARG)
2. Facundo Tello (ARG)
3. Raphael Claus (BRA)
4. Wilton Sampaio (BRA)
5. Jesus Valenzuela (VEN)

UEFA
1. Michael Oliver (ENG)
2. Anthony Taylor (ENG)
3. Antonio Mateu Lahoz (ESP)
4. Stephanie Frappart (FRA)
5. Clement Turpin (FRA)
6. Daniele Orsato (ITA)
7. Danny Makkelie (NED)
8. Szymon Marciniak (POL)

So in your opinion, who's the best referee left and who's the worst.

whypick1 posted:

Didn't realize Elfath was Moroccan, I just knew him as "one of the MLS refs I swear at the least...I think".

I watch so little MLS these days I though Elfath was Jair Marufo this whole time.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

peanut- posted:

there's no football today? wtf

Seriously do not know what to do with myself

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

whypick1 posted:

Yeah born in Casablanca, came to the US at 18

I realize I don’t have any CAF or AFC referees involved. They’ll probably give Al Jassim the third place game so that takes care of AFC, but they probably want to work a CAF referee this round because of Morocco. Hm hm hm. I don’t know how to square that circle.

Oh well, we will get the first two assignments soon enough.

Side note: Siebert went home but the VAR from that game didn’t. So… Uruguay have some bones to pick about that, and Fagahani (ref who gave the awful pk in Uru Por after VAR) is home too. Three referees that really hurt Uruguays ability to get out of the group all sent away.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Shrapnig posted:

So in your opinion, who's the best referee left and who's the worst.

I watch so little MLS these days I though Elfath was Jair Marufo this whole time.

I initially typed "Worst it's easy, it's Al-Jassim and it's not close". And then I went through the list again and Frappart was retained, so now I'm debating that. I think I'll stick with Al-Jassim though. Frappart looked good in the game she was given - one poor AR was letting her down but she handled the game well. So is the 7th best referee in France better than the best referee in Qatar? I'd say probably, yeah. So Al-Jassim is the worst.

Best is a much more difficult question to answer. I absolutely love Antonio Mateu Lahoz but he just doesn't call simple fouls quite often. Can you be the best referee if you just dont call some fairly obvious fouls if the overall game is successful? A philosophical question about what the end goal is - is it "closest to 100% accuracy" or is it "Let's the fan most be able to enjoy the game they came to watch"? I think Mateu Lahoz excels in the latter for sure and he would be my pick for who I think can most be trusted to land the final safely. I think if you were able to get ahold of FIFA's internal rankings, they probably view Daniele Orsato as their best because he produces the show while also being more accurate on the technical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

chaoslord posted:

France will probably beat England

woah woah woah refman, not cool