Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

chaoslord posted:

Best is a much more difficult question to answer. I absolutely love Antonio Mateu Lahoz but he just doesn't call simple fouls quite often. Can you be the best referee if you just dont call some fairly obvious fouls if the overall game is successful? A philosophical question about what the end goal is - is it "closest to 100% accuracy" or is it "Let's the fan most be able to enjoy the game they came to watch"?

I often wonder this too - I enjoy the games where the ref waves on a lot of the small niggling trips/pushes etc as it makes for a more flowing game but I dunno how FIFA views that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

chaoslord posted:

I initially typed "Worst it's easy, it's Al-Jassim and it's not close". And then I went through the list again and Frappart was retained, so now I'm debating that. I think I'll stick with Al-Jassim though. Frappart looked good in the game she was given - one poor AR was letting her down but she handled the game well. So is the 7th best referee in France better than the best referee in Qatar? I'd say probably, yeah. So Al-Jassim is the worst.

Best is a much more difficult question to answer. I absolutely love Antonio Mateu Lahoz but he just doesn't call simple fouls quite often. Can you be the best referee if you just dont call some fairly obvious fouls if the overall game is successful? A philosophical question about what the end goal is - is it "closest to 100% accuracy" or is it "Let's the fan most be able to enjoy the game they came to watch"? I think Mateu Lahoz excels in the latter for sure and he would be my pick for who I think can most be trusted to land the final safely. I think if you were able to get ahold of FIFA's internal rankings, they probably view Daniele Orsato as their best because he produces the show while also being more accurate on the technical.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment, heh. I didn't watch much of the match with Frappart to really notice her, which I guess could be seen as a good thing, but Al-Jassim looked totally out of his depth.

I couldn't agree more with what you're saying about Mateu Lahoz. Give me a referee that lets a game flow as opposed to one who's making all of the "correct" calls and grinding the game to a halt.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Seriously do not know what to do with myself

Have a wank op

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

it's like chaoslord can't see Anthony Taylor on his own list

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Alctel posted:

I often wonder this too - I enjoy the games where the ref waves on a lot of the small niggling trips/pushes etc as it makes for a more flowing game but I dunno how FIFA views that

yeah if it's not disrupting a run or shot and is part of natural contestation of the ball I can't say I care too much.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

In one of the recent wc threads someone posted a picture of a South American referee who had a custom red card that had a little picture of himself in the corner.

Was that real? My coworkers think I fell for a photoshop and I can’t find any proof to the contrary

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Snowy posted:

In one of the recent wc threads someone posted a picture of a South American referee who had a custom red card that had a little picture of himself in the corner.

Was that real? My coworkers think I fell for a photoshop and I can’t find any proof to the contrary

Makkelie from Netherlands

https://www.bbc.com/sport/articles/c88j5xyv685o

Zoom in on the picture at the top from Getty Images

I have seen a picture out there where he has his yellow card out and you can see that on the red in his wallet but I can’t remember where I saw that

Edit: this was the tweet

https://twitter.com/refsix/status/1585710505645047809?s=46&t=poiqWwPCCTgDGKijIz2i8w

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

It's for when you go to the referee party. All the referees put their cards in a bowl and the line-os pull them out later in the evening and that's who you referee with.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ilmucche posted:

It's for when you go to the referee party. All the referees put their cards in a bowl and the line-os pull them out later in the evening and that's who you referee with.

Is that how these two ended up married?

Bibi Steinhaus and Howard Webb

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Can't wait for Qatar to insist on Al-Jassim for the final and Gianni just shrugs and call us all racists when we complain about it.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

chaoslord posted:

I initially typed "Worst it's easy, it's Al-Jassim and it's not close". And then I went through the list again and Frappart was retained, so now I'm debating that. I think I'll stick with Al-Jassim though. Frappart looked good in the game she was given - one poor AR was letting her down but she handled the game well. So is the 7th best referee in France better than the best referee in Qatar? I'd say probably, yeah. So Al-Jassim is the worst.

where does that ranking come from?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
clearly England needs to knock out France so the lady ref can do the final

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

tristeham posted:

where does that ranking come from?

Nothing really official, just a gut feel, here is how I came up with it. I figure Ligue Un probably has ~20 referees and figure she is in the top half of that. I also think France probably has 9 or 10 male referees on the FIFA panel and figure she is probably better than a couple of the bottom ones. Last, I think France has 3 referees in the UEFA elite category and 4 in First Category, one of which is her, so 7 seemed about right. You can probably argue she’s anywhere from about 5 to 10 depending on what you want to emphasize and the fact that ranking referees is already kind of some weird nebulous undertaking anyway

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Guardian puts the 8 in this order
1. Brasil
2. France
3. Portugal
4. England
5. Argentina
6. Netherlands
7. Morocco
8. Croatia

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/07/world-cup-2022-power-rankings-how-the-remaining-eight-teams-shape-up-qatar

Good, good... just keep adding fuel to Brasil's sense of superiority...

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Doctor Malaver posted:

1. Brasil
2. France
3. Portugal
4. England
5. Argentina
6. Netherlands
7. Morocco
8. Croatia

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/07/world-cup-2022-power-rankings-how-the-remaining-eight-teams-shape-up-qatar

Would probably agree with that tbh except swap Netherlands and Morocco

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

I'm sure repugnant Bolsanaro supporter Neymar is an avid Guardian reader.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

tilp posted:

I'm sure repugnant Bolsanaro supporter Neymar is an avid Guardian reader.

he only reads it for the terf columns

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Doctor Malaver posted:

1. Brasil
2. France
3. Portugal
4. England
5. Argentina
6. Netherlands
7. Morocco
8. Croatia

Well they immediately hosed that up

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Spuckuk posted:

Well they immediately hosed that up

Just reading it in the wrong order

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
Brazil and Belgium being #1 and #2 in the world wankings rankings is all you need to know about the ranking system

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Argentina winning the shootout last night got me a snog and a nailed on gently caress, so that's something

Random woman in bar told me she had been challenged by her friend to kiss a certain amount of people by the end of the year and did I know anyone who could help. I was halfway into the toilet at this point so I didn't immediately take the obvious invitation. 5 minutes later I saw her upstairs and I was literally standing under mistletoe and I tapped her on the shoulder and she was like "what, here? No let's go outside" and then the penalties were on and she said her ex was Dutch and she wanted them to lose and if they did then she'd kiss me. Today she's been messaging me filth. Thanks Argentines

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Butterfly Valley posted:

Today she's been messaging me filth. Thanks Argentines

Photos [screenshots] or it didn’t happen.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
She's Portuguese and she's said if they win and we win and we play each other, then if England win I have to eat her out to make it up to her

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
There is a world cup quarter final going on right now everyone

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

1. Brasil
2. France
3. Portugal
4. England
5. Argentina
6. Netherlands
7. Morocco
8. Croatia

Lmao

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Butterfly Valley posted:

She's Portuguese and she's said if they win and we win and we play each other, then if England win I have to eat her out to make it up to her

Good news, you’re off the hook!

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Butterfly Valley posted:

:goofy:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I'll probably still wing it lads, don't worry about me

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Argentina winning the shootout last night got me a snog and a nailed on gently caress, so that's something

Random woman in bar told me she had been challenged by her friend to kiss a certain amount of people by the end of the year and did I know anyone who could help. I was halfway into the toilet at this point so I didn't immediately take the obvious invitation. 5 minutes later I saw her upstairs and I was literally standing under mistletoe and I tapped her on the shoulder and she was like "what, here? No let's go outside" and then the penalties were on and she said her ex was Dutch and she wanted them to lose and if they did then she'd kiss me. Today she's been messaging me filth. Thanks Argentines

pwm is back, it's a christmas miracle

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Ok so with three meaningful games to go and one leftover, I thought we would take a quick peek at the usage of referees in the quarterfinals to see if we can pick out who may be on these final matches.

Had a whistle:
Facundo Tello (ARG), Antonio Mateu Lahoz (ESP), Wilton Sampaio (BRA), Michael Oliver (ENG)

4th Official:
Ivan Barton (SLV), Victor Gomes (RSA), Abdulla Mohammed (UAE), Mustapha Ghorbal (ALG)

Probably Ineligible due to teams advancing:
Fernando Rapallini (ARG), Stephanie Frappart (FRA), Clement Turpin (FRA), Ismail Elfath (USA) (Born in Morocco)

Likely getting the third place game:
Abdulrahman Al-Jassim (QAT)

Which means our final pool is something like:
Cesar Ramos (MEX), Raphael Claus (BRA), Jesus Valenzuela (VEN), Anthony Taylor (ENG), Daniele Orsato (ITA), Danny Makkelie (NED), Szymon Marciniak (POL)

Having worked in the quarter final as a referee or fourth is not necessarily instructive, but I think if you're keeping this number of people around there's not likely to be repeats. I feel really bad for Ismail Elfath. He looked like a semi-final was coming for him, a huge honor. And then his birth country became the first African nation to make it to the World Cup Semi Final. Rough.

Going through the list in the order I have them in: Ramos is here and might be the biggest beneficiary of Elfath not being able to work anymore. If you say "Can't do 3 UEFA referees", despite Ramos having had a poor World Cup... well, he's here. I'm hoping not him though. I think Seneme will be pushing hard for Claus but with Sampaio already having worked two knockout matches and Brazil being at 6 whistles this tournament, I hope Collina will politely decline to take those phone calls anymore. Valenzuela has been lightly worked, hopefully he gets the "non UEFA" nod ahead of Ramos. Anthony Taylor... that's certainly an interesting option. Does it count as coming home if an Englishman gets the final whistle? You can't keep Orsato around this long without giving him something (his last match was November 26th). I've been reminded that Makkelie gave what most of us consider the world's softest penalty against Poland for Argentina - as long as they are alive he probably doesn't work again. And Marciniak just sticks out like a sore thumb. As a UEFA official, he worked 1 group game and then in the Round of 16. Seems quietly like the man for the final?

The big problem with the final is "What happens if it's Argentina France and the demand a non-UEFA referee?" On another board, it was pointed out that in their last 21 World Cup matches, Argentina has had 16 UEFA referees (the five matches that weren't were by three guys, with Irmatov doing 3 himself - the refererence point of Brazil only had 12), so that's a mark that Argentina is fine with UEFA refs. It's also more or less known that confederation neutrality got scrapped earlier this tournament when Argentina insisted on a UEFA referee. So it's probably fine! But what happens if they change their mind? Yikes. Anyway my thoughts:

Argentina Croatia
Ref Orsato
4th Claus

Morocco France
Ref Valenzuela
4th Ramos

Final
Ref Marciniak
4th Taylor (if Morocco) / Elfath (if not Morocco)

3rd
Ref Al-Jassim
4th Ghorbal (already had one 4th but I figure since this game is largely political, get a CAF to go with the AFC)

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I think Ramos is getting the final. The most “neutral” of the remaining options.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Tortilla Maker posted:

I think Ramos is getting the final. The most “neutral” of the remaining options.

I think Argentina would flip out if they got to the final and had a Mexican ref

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

lmaoing at the thought of Anthony Taylor getting a WC final

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Why couldn't Elfath ref Argie/Croatia?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why couldn't Elfath ref Argie/Croatia?

I think refs from a country (or otherwise affiliated with that country, like Elfath's Moroccan heritage) aren't just not allowed to ref that country's matches, they also aren't allowed to ref the match of a team that's about to play that country in case there's some thing like Morocco would love to play Argentina but hate to play Croatia and a Moroccan ref might know that and ref the other semifinal to make sure Argentina win.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'll probably still wing it lads, don't worry about me

I'm worried about your kidneys, tbh

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Yeah I don’t know that it’s a hard and fast rule (I feel like a recent tournament ignored it) but as a general rule once your team makes the semis you have usually been eliminated because of what vyelkin said, don’t want even the appearance of “the ref screwed the big team to give his team an edge”

Apparently there was another round of cuts, we are left with

AFC: Al-Jassim, Mohammed
CAF: Ghorbal
CONCACAF: Ramos, Elfath
CONMEBOL: Claus, Sampaio, Valenzuela
UEFA: Taylor, Orsato, Makkelie, Marciniak

And the semifinal assignments

Argentina Croatia
Ref: Orsato (ITA)
4th: Mohammed (UAE)

France Morocco
Ref: Ramos (MEX)
4th: Valenzuela (VEN)

Final is really looking like Marciniak

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Surely with a winter World Cup they have to have Claus for the final

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Omnikin posted:

I'm worried about your kidneys, tbh

Totally legitimate concern