Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

hooman posted:

If I had access to someone with first hand experience I wouldn't have the problem of being unsure what reporting to believe, you get that, right?

If you are going to respond with "watch a TV interview". Then I'd ask which interviewed Uyghurs should I believe? Because I've seen interviews with people saying different things. Hell look at the interviews you see with people regarding Cuba where there's a large Cuban population in Florida with a massive axe to grind because they were from the landowning class that the dictatorship benefited.

Please, can you at least try to think through what you are saying?

It just feels like if someone claims there's a huge genocide against their people, and it's coming from multiple sources. If I didn't trust those sources, before I spouted off my big stupid mouth about how that genocide even might maybe be a lie, I'd put in some leg work to verify my suspicions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzRHT_FayD0

drat you hipsters!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vaxatious Litigant posted:

Vaxatious Litigant's 2024 Predictions!
1. Disendorsed One Nation candidate Rebecca Lloyd will run as a QLD LNP candidate in their State election...but get disendorsed before election day!
2. Avi Yemini will crowdfund for another court case
3. The applicants will lose their legal challenge to the Pfizer & Moderna vaccines, with the court granting the vax manufactuers' application to have the case thrown out summarily (Fidge v Pfizer)
4. Suspended doctor Bay will lose all his court cases
5. Anti lockdown activist Monica Smit will be found guilty of unlawful fundraising but will escape a conviction
6. VCAT will find in favour of the Medical Board & will find that suspended doctor Mark Hobart committed professional misconduct for granting 2,000 false COVID vax exemptions
7. Suspended lawyer Nathan Buckley will also be found to have engaged in professional misconduct. NCAT will order him to pay a fine & undertake Ethics training but they won't recommend that he be disbarred
8. Rebecca Lloyd's DIRECTOR ID class action won't go ahead
9. Pseudolaw guru Derek Balogh will be investigated by the Victorian Legal Services Board w/ proceedings commenced against him either in 2024 or 2025
10. Moira Deeming will settle her defamation lawsuit against John Pesutto
11. Monica Smit will commence proceedings against Brett Sutton for the 22 days she spent in custody. She'll be represented by her own law firm, Reignite Legal, but the proceedings will go nowhere as she/her lawyers will keep missing court deadlines

Mostly posting so I can look it up at the end of the year to see how many came true

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Konomex posted:

It just feels like if someone claims there's a huge genocide against their people, and it's coming from multiple sources. If I didn't trust those sources, before I spouted off my big stupid mouth about how that genocide even might maybe be a lie, I'd put in some leg work to verify my suspicions.

How much of the US reporting do you believe verbatim regarding Ukraine and Russia, and Israel and Palestine?

How about those WMDs that every media source available was saying were in Iraq? I was young enough to believe that at the time (I still didn't think it justified an invasion) because I had no access to anything else.

A level of skepticism about the general positioning of media is warranted. Freebooter very helpfully pointed me towards a source that I can trust and have looked at that, and yeah, now I do know.

Telling me to ask a person I have no access to, and getting mad at me because I haven't, when I have seen interviews with Uyghurs saying both things still isn't loving useful. Also it's not a member of a minority group's job to answer my loving dumbass questions about geopolitical situations. Resources like amnesty are much more appropriate. Don't call me dumb because your post was bad, call me dumb because I didn't think to look at amnesty myself.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

hooman posted:

How much of the US reporting do you believe verbatim regarding Ukraine and Russia, and Israel and Palestine?

How about those WMDs that every media source available was saying were in Iraq? I was young enough to believe that at the time (I still didn't think it justified an invasion) because I had no access to anything else.

A level of skepticism about the general positioning of media is warranted. Freebooter very helpfully pointed me towards a source that I can trust and have looked at that, and yeah, now I do know.

Telling me to ask a person I have no access to, and getting mad at me because I haven't, when I have seen interviews with Uyghurs saying both things still isn't loving useful. Also it's not a member of a minority group's job to answer my loving dumbass questions about geopolitical situations. Resources like amnesty are much more appropriate. Don't call me dumb because your post was bad, call me dumb because I didn't think to look at amnesty myself.

You've got two people of an ethnic minority saying diametrically opposed things. One says there is a genocide, they have lost contact with their family. The other says there is no genocide, people are just getting free government education. Who to believe?

Besides which, you don't need to hunt them down to interview them - though you could. With some basic research you can go see what they've already said. You can check out their refugee claims. You can listen to what the UN has to say. Amnesty international. You can find primary and secondary sources that aren't media sources. There's a dozen ways you can handle it rather then denying a genocide. If you want to be lazy, just lean on the side that never denies a genocide.

I don't think I've ever bothered to read American news when there are far better options for International reporting. And when we went to war in Iraq I was 12 and was pretty certain Howard and Bush were lying through their teeth. The idea Iraq had WMD was ridiculous, on top of that, it was Saudi Arabia that had clear links to the 9/11 terrorists at the time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Of course, China isn't even restraining themselves to just the Uyghurs.

They've been reinventing the concept of residential schools.

Roughly 1 million Tibetan children have been separated from their families and forcibly placed into state-run boarding schools

But no, China would never do a genocide.

On wait.

UN finally report on human rights violations against the Uyghurs in China.

quote:

China may have committed crimes against humanity in Xinjiang - UN report

The UN has accused China of "serious human rights violations" in a long-awaited report into allegations of abuse in Xinjiang province.

China had urged the UN not to release the report - with Beijing calling it a "farce" arranged by Western powers.

The report assesses claims of abuse against Uyghur Muslims and other ethnic minorities, which China denies.

But investigators said they uncovered "credible evidence" of torture possibly amounting to "crimes against humanity".

The report, which was commissioned by the UN's Office of the High Commissioner on Human Rights, said prisoners had been subjected to "patterns of ill-treatment" which included "incidents of sexual and gender-based violence".

Others, they said, faced forced medical treatment and "discriminatory enforcement of family planning and birth control policies".

The UN recommended that China immediately takes steps to release "all individuals arbitrarily deprived of their liberty" and suggested that some of Beijing's actions could amount to the "commission of international crimes, including crimes against humanity".

While the UN said it could not be sure how many people have been held by the government, human rights groups estimate that more than a million people have been detained at camps in the Xinjiang region, in north-west China.

Earlier this year, the BBC obtained leaked files which revealed an an organised system of mass rape, sexual abuse and torture of Uyghur Muslims at a network of camps.

The Xinjiang Police Files, as they're being called, were passed to the BBC and revealed a targeting of the community on orders leading all the way up to Chinese leader, Xi Jinping.

And in 2020, then UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab accused China of "gross and egregious" human rights abuses against its Muslim population after a video emerged appearing to show Uyghurs being blindfolded and led to trains.

The footage provoked international outcry, but Liu Xiaoming, then Chinese ambassador to the UK, insisted that there were "no such concentration camps in Xinjiang" while appearing on the BBC's Andrew Marr show.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Found this old post from the China thread if anyone want so see the detention centres for themselves and not have to worry about "propaganda".

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Some brave soul did a road trip of all the detention centres to see what was actually there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI8bJO-to8I&t=1s

And an English version, showing all the camps on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/alisonkilling/status/1460243389060952074

One post which has stayed with me said the Holocaust is the extreme end of what genocide is, not the standard. People trying to minimise what the Chinese government is doing keep going back to the "not literally throwing people into ovens", but that's not what most genocides are.

Most genocides are breaking up families, erasing culture and language, preventing people from accessing healthcare, education or self determination. Taking away freedom of movement. The worse ones involve mass incarceration, sterilisation, violence and rape.

That's where the CCP stands.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 6, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Dude needs to go to windscreens O'Brien.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Konomex posted:

You've got two people of an ethnic minority saying diametrically opposed things. One says there is a genocide, they have lost contact with their family. The other says there is no genocide, people are just getting free government education. Who to believe?

Besides which, you don't need to hunt them down to interview them - though you could. With some basic research you can go see what they've already said. You can check out their refugee claims. You can listen to what the UN has to say. Amnesty international. You can find primary and secondary sources that aren't media sources. There's a dozen ways you can handle it rather then denying a genocide. If you want to be lazy, just lean on the side that never denies a genocide.

What I have bolded is the useful part of this. You will note, this was not included in your original post. This is what someone else helpfully directed me towards.

Also I have at no point said there was not a genocide, I have said, repeatedly, that I had seen conflicting things and did not know. Now I do, don't put words in my mouth. Are you confusing me with someone who said there definitely wasn't a genocide, because I have not made that case whatsoever?

Thank you for this I will give this a watch/read.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Of course, China isn't even restraining themselves to just the Uyghurs.

They've been reinventing the concept of residential schools.

Roughly 1 million Tibetan children have been separated from their families and forcibly placed into state-run boarding schools

But no, China would never do a genocide.

On wait.

UN finally report on human rights violations against the Uyghurs in China.

Have you considered that it might be a nice, friendly genocide?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Wheezle posted:

Have you considered that it might be a nice, friendly genocide?

The only moral gneocide is my genocide.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

#Notallgenocides

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Laserface posted:

#Notallgenocides

#sometimesagain

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018