Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

OK fair enough thanks.

I wasn't sure if there was just something I was missing there. Just seems like an odd addition.

Old men think the things younger people enjoy are weird and immoral. Not much else to it, aside them being in positions of absolute power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

As you age you start to appreciate the finer things in life, like censorship and cultural genocide.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
The party bigwig who is heavily invested in escape rooms lost the internal power struggle.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

The party bigwig who is heavily invested in escape rooms lost the internal power struggle.

Literally what happened to seedy KTVs briefly.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

escape rooms are fine afaik. what got hit is these like LARP-y murder mystery things. i know at least a dozen people super into them, they arewere huge.

the gov started cracking down on online ones months ago. the main issues cited were deviancy in youth/violence/etc blahdy blah. also i have heard about them and the stories aren't just herlock shlomes/agatha christie type stuff, a friend was telling me about one she did with time loops and alien ghosts. they get weird in what sounds like a rad way.

from what ive seen there's definitely been a sentiment similar to how violent video games were in the US in the late 90s/early 00s where there's a lot of pearl clutching about high schoolers specifically being super into them.

heres an english article from a couple months ago when everyone assumed this or something similar was coming: https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1008570/role-playing-games-may-distort-reality-for-minors%2C-xinhua-says

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Ailumao posted:

escape rooms are fine afaik. what got hit is these like LARP-y murder mystery things. i know at least a dozen people super into them, they arewere huge.

the gov started cracking down on online ones months ago. the main issues cited were deviancy in youth/violence/etc blahdy blah. also i have heard about them and the stories aren't just herlock shlomes/agatha christie type stuff, a friend was telling me about one she did with time loops and alien ghosts. they get weird in what sounds like a rad way.

from what ive seen there's definitely been a sentiment similar to how violent video games were in the US in the late 90s/early 00s where there's a lot of pearl clutching about high schoolers specifically being super into them.

heres an english article from a couple months ago when everyone assumed this or something similar was coming: https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1008570/role-playing-games-may-distort-reality-for-minors%2C-xinhua-says

So many kids here love detective stories. It's a big thing.

Somewhat saddening how a bunch of different art that bubbles up gets squashed just when it's getting good, because it doesn't line up with some 70yo dude's idea of fun.

I get the whole resisting cultural imperialism thing, but so much of the cool but discouraged stuff is home-grown.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Man I can't wait for the Westing game murder mystery set up in a ghost city so you have the whole building to explore in

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Man I can't wait for the Westing game murder mystery set up in a ghost city so you have the whole building to explore in

Bro thank you so much, I've been looking for the title of that drat book for so long. Every couple of months I lost a night endlessly googling what I could remember about it. Which unfortunately was only that the murder never happened and that the Asian lady wanted to wear jeans.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Atopian posted:

Somewhat saddening how a bunch of different art that bubbles up gets squashed just when it's getting good, because it doesn't line up with some 70yo dude's idea of fun.

The last thing an authoritarian government wants is kids learning how to think and examine the world around them.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Much like Mark Zuckerberg, Xi does not understand the concept of "fun" and therefore it must be banned

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The last thing an authoritarian government wants is kids learning how to think and examine the world around them.

As far as I can tell, every government wants the education system to turn out well-trained workers, in the sense of "has required knowledge for common tasks" and "is prepared to follow instructions without too much curiosity or distinctiveness".

Teachers and parents typically try to improve this somewhat, time and budget permitting, but it's not a new or isolated dynamic. The only special thing about China's situation is the extent to which free-time stuff is made an issue of, and the extent to which the government is in step with grandparents rather than parents (contrast: dungeons and dragons satanic panic).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Was it this thread where someone was wondering what was going on with the tennis player who accused the party official of sexually abusing her?

Well, here's the update everyone was expecting:

A Chinese Tennis Player 'Vanishes' After Accusing Former Vice Premier Of Sexual Abuse

quote:

A Chinese tennis player has reportedly gone missing, and had her social media posts deleted, after accusing Beijing's former vice premier of sexual abuse.

Peng Shuai posted accusations that she was abused by Zhang Gaoli last week on Chinese social media site Weibo, known as the Chinese Facebook.

The post, which claimed that Zhang had forced the 35-year-old into sex, was deleted soon after and reportedly the word wangqiu, tennis in Chinese, was even censored on the site for some time after.

Zhang, who is now 75-years-old, who was a high ranking member of the Communist Party was accused of having an affair with the 2014 French Open doubles champion in 2011.

Peng then claimed that he rekindled things in 2018, after inviting her for dinner and then pressured her into having sex, which she refused before eventually relenting.

According to the Daily Mail, the former world number one doubles player has not been seen since the accusations and that the deleted post isn't the only thing to happen to her profile.

Well, I suppose we'll see her again in a few months, Jack Ma style, when she makes a public apology then bows out of tennis forever to concentrate on Xi Jinping thought.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That's if she's lucky.

If she ain't, it'll be more Jackie Ma than Jack Ma.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Was it this thread where someone was wondering what was going on with the tennis player who accused the party official of sexually abusing her?

A Chinese Tennis Player 'Vanishes' After Accusing Former Vice Premier Of Sexual Abuse

Well, I suppose we'll see her again in a few months, Jack Ma style, when she makes a public apology then bows out of tennis forever to concentrate on Xi Jinping thought.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/nov/14/wta-calls-on-china-to-investigate-allegations-by-peng-shuai-of-assault?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Guess Tennis is about to be banned in China.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

so she is dead and her organs are like in a bunch of party members or families of party members.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Atopian posted:

So many kids here love detective stories. It's a big thing.

I get the whole resisting cultural imperialism thing, but so much of the cool but discouraged stuff is home-grown.

IMHO they should lean into that poo poo and promote it so they can create an army of culture weebs. It's gotta be more effective than "Confucian schools."

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

IMHO they should lean into that poo poo and promote it so they can create an army of culture weebs. It's gotta be more effective than "Confucian schools."

Right, exactly.
Sad inability to lean into anything spontaneous and good.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

GoutPatrol posted:

This book was assigned reading in middle school and i thought having wordplay be the key to the murders was complete bullshit even at 12

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Peter Hessler's going to be on Sinica this week, I imagine some of you are fans. He apparently got the boot from China and is talking about it among other stuff. I was always kind of surprised they let him in in the first place.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Some brave soul did a road trip of all the detention centres to see what was actually there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI8bJO-to8I&t=1s

And an English version, showing all the camps on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/alisonkilling/status/1460243389060952074

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not all the camps by any means, but yeah. Dude's got some enormous balls, I hope they don't find him.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeahhhhh, hopefully he's no longer in the country at this point. That place is saturated with surveillance cameras. The authorities could almost certainly figure out who he is if this video pissed them off enough to put in the effort.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Some brave soul did a road trip of all the detention centres to see what was actually there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI8bJO-to8I&t=1s

And an English version, showing all the camps on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/alisonkilling/status/1460243389060952074

Wow very spooky, they look like literal prisons!

https://twitter.com/NuryVittachi/status/1460426330021896193?s=20

The Alchemist fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 16, 2021

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sleepy Joe DESTROYED by logic w/ Chinese characteristics

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theres been a lotta realestatepostin about how hosed urban chinese re market is but here's a dealio about rural chinese re market also bein hosed

https://www.readingthechinadream.com/chen-ruiyan-on-rural-home-construction.html

turns out you can have karen-rear end nimby fucks w local cadres instead of courts of law

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 17, 2021

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Grand Fromage is probated quick post pro Xi memes

Edit: scrolling through, whoo boy this is probably one of the least racist ones out there

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Good lord Vittachi is a schmuck these days. My parents knew him in the 80's.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

The Alchemist posted:

Wow very spooky, they look like literal prisons!

american prisons bad. chinese prisons good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Grand Fromage is probated quick post pro Xi memes

https://i.imgur.com/99McrHA.mp4

I'm not crazy enough to mod GBS so nothing I can do to you anyway.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

grand fromage come back to china

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

grand fromage come to Taiwan

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Given how bleak my prospects are it's not out of the question, though certainly not what I'd prefer.

GoutPatrol posted:

grand fromage come to Taiwan

Everything I read about working in Taiwan sounds like poo poo tbh. Though I haven't looked too deeply since it's too hot to live there anyway.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

If you're willing to teach econ I can get you a job, you'll just have to have the longest school hours in the world apparently

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

If you're willing to teach econ I can get you a job, you'll just have to have the longest school hours in the world apparently

This is the problem looking at other countries. In China I can get paid at least twice as much, cost of living's lower, work less, have two or three months paid vacation, teach a subject I actually like. I look at jobs in Korea and just lol immediately.

Now that I can afford it I need to get the extra piece of paper to get in on that sweet international school track.

E: Anyway talking about my (lol) career (lmao) is boring and it's not like I can just leave whenever anyway. But this time next year if the border's open and someone hears about a high school hiring, preferably in Chengdu, do drop me a PM.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 17, 2021

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

This is the problem looking at other countries. In China I can get paid at least twice as much, cost of living's lower, work less, have two or three months paid vacation, teach a subject I actually like. I look at jobs in Korea and just lol immediately.

Now that I can afford it I need to get the extra piece of paper to get in on that sweet international school track.

E: Anyway talking about my (lol) career (lmao) is boring and it's not like I can just leave whenever anyway. But this time next year if the border's open and someone hears about a high school hiring, preferably in Chengdu, do drop me a PM.

Korea was awesome from 2006-7 for getting cushy uni/public school jobs and making amazing bank with very low cost of living expenses. I banked (as in saved) $22k CAD in a year and I was not being frugal. Then the exchange rate changed, schools expected 2x the hours in-class for the same or less pay, cost of living increased, and an oversupply of backpacking wayguks who didn't consider not accepting the first offer presented to them ruined things. I went back in 2009, and it was much harder to get a position I found reasonable.

Even though I was making more, I only saved about $17k given the amazing perks of the first position were not available for second one. (living in a school provided apartment on-campus, and keeping 1/2 the monthly apartment allowance, and having the option of eating in the cafeteria breakfast, lunch and dinner for 50,000 won a month).

When I taught in China the official pay was less than Korea, but the unofficial opportunities were much more lucrative. Back in 2008, you could charge 500 RMB an hour for tutoring if you had connections. One guy had an MBA and taught a class in a rented office five nights a week (2 hours a night) for 400 RMB an hour per adult student. On average he had 5-7 students a night.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Honestly even ignoring the poo poo pay and high cost of living and stuff, just the idea of five days of vacation a year, ten if you're lucky, after experiencing a job with months? Absolutely loving not.

I'd much rather live in Korea than almost anywhere else, but it's just not possible. The work environment is too abusive.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Blistex posted:

Korea was awesome from 2006-7

gently caress's sake, I'd only just started university then.

gently caress's sake.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

WarpedNaba posted:

gently caress's sake.

GF can I probe this fetal filth for obscenity?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Come to Jiangsu. It has Suzhou and Shanghai and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

WarpedNaba posted:

gently caress's sake.

sup 88 buddy, what a lucky dragon year