Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

That's a pretty nice OP Anidav. Even if I don't think that's how that song works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Has anyone here used Alternaleaf, or otherwise obtained a prescription for cannabis?

Also if anyone's keeping track of anecdata I got covid for the first time this week and it loving sucked. Like being hit by a goddam freight train.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Just listened to a Dollop about Whitlam and it sounds like the dismissal may have actually been more of a CIA coup than we thought

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/532-gough-whitlam-and-1975-live-w-gen-fricker/id643055307?i=1000560226531

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I write when there is something new to say, so it seems kind of redundant when Dave Anthony has already done it.

Also it's kind of included anyway

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Again you guys seem to be missing the point here.

Was this common knowledge? I don't think I'd ever heard of it. Not that it's surprising or anything of course.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Aware posted:

I can barely read this, can you elaborate?

Sure, instead instead of discussing the interesting and previously unexplored topic of American influence in our domestic political affairs, and their stunnilgy effective efforts to fight progressiviam globally, you are making a tired joke about a poster and the effort they put into explaining extremely complicated and important stories.

GoldStandardConure posted:

i am never gonna listen to that podcast so post as many words as you want about it, i'll read them

go hog wild

It's a good podcast, but the short version is that the American ambassador at the time was an ex-CIA guy who had a series of postings in countries that strangely all seemed to have coups while he was there. Nixon/Kissinger hated Whitlam for his opposition to the Vietnam War and called him a peace-nick, and Kerr had some shady CIA connections in his past as well. There's no "proof" or anything, but the pattern definitely checks out and all the correspondence at the time is consistent with America saying "gently caress this guy let's get rid of him" and then tapping Kerr to pull some unprecedented poo poo like that.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Buy me a drink first

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Animal Friend posted:

I don't think the comedy podcast is going to be breaking information that hasn't been reported elsewhere.

To be fair the "palace letters" and such has only been made available in the last 3 or so years.

of course he's not breaking things, cos it has obviously been reported elsewhere, but it is a big and noisy world and perhaps those sources had not made it to the ears of everyone

Ranter posted:

Bucky it's a bit odd that it took you this long to realize what Capital has been up to, but welcome to the show. You should dig into Dialectical Materialism if you want to know more. It will really help you tie things together with regards to your work on contemporary fascism and conspiracy.

I know what capital Does, that's the point of the Thing, the details of this particular episode had just somehow escaped me, but thanks

Anyway, gently caress Nixon and gently caress Kissinger I guess.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

It's a loving outrage. And what's worse, when the unions were gearing up for arguably the most appropriate strike in history, Bob bloody Hawke talked them down.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Laserface posted:

You're the one thinking these dipshits are actually buying and eating spinach instead of whatever domino's coupon is valid that day.

Nice casual classism

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

did this guy post in here or am I thinking of someone else

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for all of 2022:

Wow what an honour, thanks lesbians.

Speaking of compliant drones, Raging Waters is a great water park, but as you can imagine, on a hot day, the lines get prohibitively long. But while they have 45+ minute lines, they’re sending groups of 2 down 4 person slides. So there are 2 empty seats on a significant number of descents. While there are hundreds of people who waiting. Which is infuriating. So I sent my kids to the top to say “hi excuse me next time there are 2 empty seats can we jump in please”; and they reduce the turnaround by 95%. Woop Woop.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Hey Auspol here’s the draft of a pitch for a Cycle Network I plan to try and put before the NSW minister for Active Transport, if anyone’s interested or would care to cast their eye over it. Questions, comments, and suggestions welcome.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Mhcp0qHcY5VSTk4Q_JVtljYpvFKDk8asFVpogtZ5yAI/edit#slide=id.p

edit - or I'll go to GBS I guess

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 18, 2023

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

As a consultant, you’ve got too many words on your page.

I want to see some slick graphics there mate too sorry this might be good enough for Deloitte but its not up to Bain or McKinsey standards

I literally did most of the graphics with the "measure" tool in google maps. I don't know how else to do it. So if I could have a pen tool on the map, and 2 months with a streetview camera, we'd have the whole thing mapped out in no time.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The impression I get from Stokes (NSW minister for active transport), is that he might be genuinely interested. I saw him announcing the opening of a cycle way somewhere and he know's what's up. And he was literally asking councils to come to the government with proposals. The problem is, they don't really seem to be looking at how they connect, so we'll end up with a random mish-mash of localised bike paths that don't amount to a viable network.

So yes some of the slides are dense but the point is to communicate as much information as efficiently as possible. I guess if I was presenting it (really only want 10-15 minutes of their time), I might use a trimmed version, and if I was just sending it it might be closer to this

Bicycle NSW are pretty well placed to do this stuff, but they didn't get back to me yet.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

This sort of thing leads me to wonder; how does anything ever get done or planned out in Sydney on a larger scale when the city is a patchwork of little tiny local councils? As someone who lives in Brisbane it seems like such a strange way of doing things.

I assume it has to come under the state government. But even that is a series of local members for seats that aren't much bigger than a council. So yeah, that's really a key part of the problem, there doesn't seem to be anyone I can find who's job it is to look at this stuff at the basin level, so large scale planning stuff doesn't seem to get done.

How does it work in Brisbane?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

Having so many little fiefdoms in the same metro area feels like it would be a clusterfuck as you'd probably have insane levels of duplication of systems which don't necessarily talk to each other

Surely I've ranted about this before, but abolish state governments all together. If we didn't have them we wouldn't invent them. We do not need 8 departments of health and education and all that stuff is better administered federally anyway. And yes make councils bigger.

I remember someone getting complaining to me when Clover Moore was both the mayor of Sydney and the representative for Sydney in the state parliament. I thought hold on, why isn't EVERY mayor the member for their area in the state parliament. Or better still, the federal government, cos the state government shouldn't exist. What are they doing if not fighting for their electorate.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

MikeJF posted:

gently caress it just divvy Australia up into the water basins.

Water basins are the only borders that actually make any sense.

And that's where the plan is coming at it from, looking at the Basin level. Because I don't think there's anyone who's job it is to do that at the moment. It's this massive metropolis but it's made up of a bunch of difference cities and seats and councils and I'm yet to see meaningful or constructive planning between them. On anything really, let alone infrastructure with a cost:benefit like this

So anyway how about that Cycle plan, pretty good ay

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

well I did find one explicitly inter-council project, it's the "Western Parkland City", which appears to basically all about the airport:

https://www.wpca.sydney/about/the-western-parkland-city/

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

Are you just going to fish for compliments where people slap you on the back and tell you you're a genius? Either take the advice to cut it down/split the deck and make it a LOT less dense or idk just do what you like.

Just looking for any discussion of the actual logistics of the points, what people would like or not, what would or wouldn't work, what I may have missed, etc. I appreciate the notes on the presentation and will try to take some words out, especially if I get a chance to present it in person.

Anyway good news Comstar, and cheers hambeet.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Do you actually ride? Because it doesn't seem like it. A lot of those link areas are disaster zones for a cyclist and it doesn't address that many routes north esp are not going to work for riders who aren't mad. You need to start with the kind of side of freeway routes like the M7 has esp for the M4. There is no good route to Emu Plains or anything west of Westmead. The actual recommended route now the M4 breakdown is closed at Mt Druitt is the Great Western Highway which is just asking to be run over.

Don't talk to Bicycle NSW frankly they are loving crap for representing actual cyclists. They have consistently recommended reroutes that have been more dangerous esp for a casual cyclist.... like GWH as above.

I do ride, and the disaster zones are exactly the problem it's trying to address. There is no good route from Westmead to Emu Plains, and we should absolutely begin by following along the M4 like the M7. That's why it recommends starting with "trainlines, motorways, and waterways", cos then you're 85% of the way done, and you fill in the necessary connections from there. Waterways especially. Like Cooks River and Prospect Creek. Beautiful paths, the intersections just need a bit more paint and signage.

But on a smaller and more specific scale, the key points are:
  • Connecting the City to the North with a 1500 meter sky path from Ridge St to the Harbour Bridge
  • Connecting the M7 with the Parramatta River by sharing the Transit way for 1200 meters from Abbott to Johnstons.

Which is why it's called "a bit of green paint and handful of overpasses", cos that little bit of spending on just those two things would make a massive difference. Then go a bit further, with the motorways/trainlines/waterways, jazz up the existing paths where they intersect roads, and provide a Ferry Service to go from Kissing Point / Olympic Park to Barangaroo / Man O'War steps, and past The Spit and up to Roseville), and you can totally transform the city.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Well that's my other question, how the gently caress does anything get done in those circumstances? Or is that just part of the reason why so many things suck?

If it was going Labour -> Liberal I'd probably be more concerned, but hopefully a new labour gov would see the sense. Another advantage to it being not very capital intensive or requiring much disruption / planning etc. JUST A BIT OF loving GREEN PAINT AND LIKE A HANDFUL OF OVERPASSES.

Also could be the kind of thing a minister going into an election might be interested in.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

birdstrike posted:

there’s a train service which runs fairly regularly

And if you need to go the whole 30 km and have already done your exercise for the day, you might prefer to jump on that. But there are plenty of people that live along the way who might want to visit their neighbours in the neighbouring neighbourhood who don't want to have to go to a station and hope there's not track work and sit there waiting to get on a crowded train then get off in 2 stops and get all the way out of the station again. If there was a good bike path, they could just use that instead, leaving a seat on the train for someone else.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

there would need to be a significant investment in actually doing the surveying/risk assessments/construction/ongoing maintenance, especially when you are talking about constructing overpasses which are very substantial. Are you a civil engineer or someone who has worked with lobbying? How about writing responses for RFT/RFQs?

It's literally why you are being told to cut the detail and make it easier to digest because the aim of the slide deck isn't to give people the detail, it's to starting gathering the political will to do something. Your approach is literally rear end backwards right now.

There's one main overpass I'm talking about and it would be a world-class piece of infrastructure.

The rest is literally some paint on the road and some signs that say "CYCLE CROSSING", maybe a few flashing lights if we're feeling fancy. And of course there are surveying/risk assessment costs, but it's still billions less than digging a tunnel underground across the harbour, or that metro sky-rail thing they built Hills.

My approach is top-down. Go straight to a minster who seems genuinely engaged and is asking for proposals and try and get him to action the most impactful and cost effective things. So yeah, the aim of the slide deck is to give some detail, but my understanding was to trim it down as a general rule of presenting anyway.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Coward posted:

I have to admit I am unfamiliar with the "cooker" term. Where does that come from?

A conspiracist, “plandemic, covid is a hoax and the vaccine is poison” type, who have always been seeking but who’s numbers dramatically swelled in 2020. They were the ones who drove to Canberra and camped for a few days. I think Tom Tanuki takes credit for the term.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Laserface posted:

I cut my knee and elbow open skateboarding

surely you're too old for such shenanigans

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Don't talk to Bicycle NSW frankly they are loving crap for representing actual cyclists. They have consistently recommended reroutes that have been more dangerous esp for a casual cyclist.... like GWH as above.

Don’t suppose you’d care to elaborate on this at all? I mean they haven’t got back to me but they still look like a logical step, their Facebook presence seems very positive and they appear to have the ear of the minister at least

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Congrats froglet.

I did an Auspol:

submission to the NSW Minister for Active Transport, Rob Sotkes posted:

Hi, I'm a Sydney-based cyclist and father and would like a chance to discuss the network of bike paths, at an inter-council level. Sydney has the bones of a world-class cycle network, with many miles of “Gold Class" paths already running. But a few critical gaps severely limits their effectiveness. By looking at the macro level, closing those gaps, and making a few slight improvements elsewhere, we open up cycling to vastly more people, and unlock the massive potential that Active Transport can bring - to the economy, the environment, families, and communities.

Ideally I would like 10-15 minutes with the Minster (any time) to go over and present a plan I have prepared, otherwise am happy to work with whatever is most convenient. Thank you for your time.

Zero expectations but had to give it a go.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

Dear Bucky, we would be pleased to organise a sit down with the Minister, although you appear to have forgotten your $50,000 donation. As soon as that comes through we’ll be in touch to sort out diaries.

I value the plan at $50,000 and trust this settles the matter, thank you

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Is there a reason Sydney’s dams aren’t hydroelectric, and could they be modified to be so?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

I’m positive there’s probably a government minister who’s interested in an 80 slide PowerPoint deck!!!’

Alright well can you sort out Sydney's cycle network then please, it's getting ridiculous, the plans there ready to go and everything

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Water storage dams, hydro dams, and flood control dams, all have very different use profiles.

Water storage: retain water for as long as possible, release only as water is used. Draw water from the depth of the dam that has the best quality (varies).
Hydro: release water as electricity is required, often significant amounts. You also want a significant “head”, or difference between top and bottom, to maximise potential energy of the stored water.
Flood control: keep the dam as empty as possible so it can hold water during a flood.

So for water storage you can put mini hydro generators on to generate as water is released for use, but you don’t get much power and the cost/maintenance may outweigh the benefit.

Cool thanks. I guess this is more a question for the energy generation megathread, but I would have thought if we’ve got water running through these pipes to and from Prospect we could stick a few turbines in there.

Sydney is surrounded by the Wonora, Cataract, Cordeaux, Avon, and Nepean dams in the south, Warragamba in the west, and even Mangrove Creek in the north. Surely technology and the energy market have evolved over the last 20 years to the point where it might be more worth it. Like if we start with however many MW we can get from that, and work out what we need to build on top. Especially if we need it more to top-up on cloudy days than as an always on kind of deal.

Side note, Sydney's drainage is really counter intuitive. It's like the harbour / Parramatta River are just a little thumb print on the bank of the mighty Hawkesbury Nepean:

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I wonder if Lidia Thorpe is going to end up following a bit of a Tulsi Gabbard trajectory.

I admit I haven't followed too closely so hopefully am way off the mark.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Aight cool then

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Comstar posted:

TIL that the manufacturer of a medicine I need to take to continue to live has decided to remove it from the PBS because they don't make enough profit from it, in 3 weeks. I only got a prescription for it yesterday, and this wasn't mentioned.

That sucks, sorry.

It wasn't Fiasp was it? The Insulin? I saw someone complaining about it in a "bloody albo" post on FB sharing a change dot org petition, but couldn't find any more information and wasn't sure what's going on

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Comstar posted:

Yes that’s it. Though AFAIK it’s because it’s not profitable enough, not because Albo did anything.

It’s holding lives to ransom.

But, isn't that the whole point? To remove profit from the equation? Isn't the gov supposed to subsidise the difference?

My understanding from some digging was that some brands get taken off to increases take up of the generic brands, but I still don't think I get it. But yeah, loving sucks.

e - here's the petition https://www.change.org/p/save-fiasp...r_EGW0Z8K01A7W8

In other news, the Transport Planning Manager, Cycling, Cities and Active Transport from the NSW gov got back to me and I've got a meeting Tuesday week.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Another shot:

https://twitter.com/akaWACA/status/1636912565870788609?s=20

Cops aside, could melbourne antifa take these guys?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

A lot of what became the Australian cooker movement began as an anti-Dan Andrews thing. Even before covid. Then obviously covid, big international fascist radicalisation machine, and it’s no surprise this is what we see.

Recoome posted:

It’s satire, champ

satire based on the conclusion freebooter described, legend

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Australia has the stupidest loving scandals

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

So I know dunking on me is kind of an Auspol tradition, but there is some very weird discourse going on in the Qanon thread if anyone would care to take a look and tell me if I'm insane.

The backstory is that after 2.5 years of work I can finally report how it actually started.

You might think that this information would be of interest to that thread. You'd be mistaken.

It is a ridiculously long article to be fair, cos it's the whole drat story, so I've just cut together a "shorter" one, and am going to have to start working on an actually normal sized one in a sec.

And of course there is the history of that thread being resistant to it, but I'm still surprised at the inertia of that dynamic.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Autisanal Cheese posted:

no, please go away

I get that it's the internet and everything, but do you ever consider the impact your words can have on a human?

To relate it more directly to current Auspol events, we just saw multiple videos of people trying to interfere with an election by intimidating officials. You wanna know how that happened? This, via Riccardo Bosi.