Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cops are dumb thugs as a rule and completely used to having absolutely no repercussions for their actions, the media universally just not reporting on their actions in anything but the most glowing sense no matter how heinous and all.

They are not in any way prepared for and have no idea how to response to even the slightest change in the discourse that puts their actions under even casual scrutiny. They're going to double down hamfistedly, because it's the only thing they know how to do.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

JBP posted:

Bigger cash rate should take care of this one. I am an economist.

Also deregulation because the free market will save us because it has "free" in its name and freedom is good.

*insert that free market squashing people cartoon here when I can find it*

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-22/mayor-calls-for-begging-crackdown-as-homelessness-rises-in-wa/102130296

So how is the is the City of Stirling Council in Perth looking to tackle the rapidly growing crisis that is homeless?

City of Stirling Mayor Mark Irwin posted:

Sometimes there are those people who have still got their squeegees, quite often the squeegee looks like it's going to make your car more dirty than clean, and then they have an expectation they're going to get paid for it

Please wont they think of my car window :qq:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Second most timeless thing to come out of SA after the TLO ROLL CALL!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

When is this place going to become normal?

If people behaved like that at my office they'd be loving fired and almost certainly sued by the attendant. Nice to know these loving children have a hand in writing the laws we all must live by.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

I thought that picture was of the main villain from Time Bandits. You should write about that, that movie doesn't get enough love.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Mark Latham has them rattled they'll lose the bigot vote.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Oh what a light hearted story of child labour. Get. hosed...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-08/country-kids-solve-labour-shortage-jugiong-jam-factory/102181710

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Nurses Union being declared both right-wing fascists and left-wing commies is an achievement in itself. I don't think these people know what words mean.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Better not vote for the voice because Anzac day will be cancelled (maybe Alice Springs too).

Only one flag and no photo of John Howard... :australia:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Recoome posted:

I'm still waiting for these ALP die-hards to explain to me why keeping the stage 3 tax cuts/cutting better access scheme session numbers is really good and consistent with the ALP core.

Like the ALP holds government presently they can change things, but I suppose it's easier to just do some hand-wringing and act in exactly the same way if Morrison's government was re-elected.

Yeah but the Greens voted down the CPRS in 2009 and Albo comes from a disadvantaged background, and you stop doubting them, they've got a plan. Greens and the CPRS.

There, now you don't have to talk to a rusted on Labor hack. We're looking out for you.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

I knew mine as kid. I assume he's dead, he was old as hell twenty years ago. Nice dude

I grew up in a very small town, went to the local catholic primary school where the priest was a kind scruffy old guy quick to laugh, encouraged us to take care of each other, and always had time to listen - and I haven't experienced such a sense of community or place since.

Then I went to a catholic high school in the city where the priest was an overdressed prick and the whole place was one of entitlement and show and that the people should know their place - and I've hated religion ever since.

edit: ok, I don't hate religion. I listen to too many Buddhist podcasts and meditate to hate religion. I do stand by the idea that the start of a religion is a cry for help, and I hate those fuckers that wilfully subvert the message for their own self-interest.

SecretOfSteel fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 22, 2023

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Wizard Master posted:

They shall grow not old,
as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them,
nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Lest we forget.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

ABC doing gods work with a nice visualisation of the scale of the Stage 3 tax cuts:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-28/stage-three-tax-cuts-to-scale/102268304

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

I'm looking forwards to reading the rusted-on Labor comments! :shepicide:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

Reports coming out that job seeker is getting a boost.

Only for over 55's lol.

I have no idea if this ridiculous poo poo is true, but my heart says "yes, you know it is"

edit: ^^^ always listen to your heart....

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

JBP posted:

Why is this a fantasy for Labor? The Teals and climate 200 are the direct competitor to the greens. It seems like hubris to just disregard them taking 7 seats in one election when the greens haven't achieved the same, despite being in politics since the early 90s.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

Apparently the ALP just announced "the first budget surplus in 15 years", so look forward to the media churning out editorials about how "budget surpluses are bad, actually" (they are, but that's not the point)

I hope to loving god this isn't true (announcing a budget surplus). I. loving. Hope.

Heart what do you say...?

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Splode posted:

RBA is predicting 4.5% unemployment rate, which they argue is necessary for the economy to function (and all economists agree you must have some unemployment or poo poo goes sideways).
The government's own research has demonstrated that jobseeker is not enough to live on to the point of being a barrier to finding work.
I still don't know how they can hold these two facts in their head at the same time.
4.5% of the potential working population is hosed and they do not give a single poo poo. By my calculations thats 603 000 people.

I wish these 4.5% of people would resort to crime, specifically on these politicians and bankers. 603 000 people is enough for a pretty spectacular revolution.
But I suppose of course most of them are unable to find work due to being disadvantaged, and this disadvantage is likely some form that makes it challenging for them to, for example, burn down parliament house.

I am surprised how disappointed I am by Labor being poo poo now they're in power. I should know better, but in my defence, things did get slightly better in the K Rudd / Julia Gillard years. Looks like we're poo poo out of luck this time around, when these idiots are banging on about government budget surpluses ahead of an RBA induced recession, while simultaneously not reversing insane tax cuts for the rich and submarine deals that just make us alienate our most important trading partner.

A fearful pool of workers desperate to take any work for any pay regardless of the conditions is good for businesses bottom line.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

lih posted:

6. Restoring Capitalism

No.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

GrandMaster posted:

At least this time the cops bashed them instead of protecting them

Cops fighting amongst themselves in a big pile.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Autisanal Cheese posted:

what the gently caress, did they get an American trainer in or something?

Police are overflowing with people who would jump at the chance of hurting someone.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

hooman posted:

Almost like we need some social contract to operate a business in this country, and if you break it, you get loving nationalised.

:hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Yay, WA going to give Toryism a whirl.

:suicide:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

hooman posted:

archive.is

Edit: For anyone not Perth, the demolition of Brownlie towers was unambiguously a good thing, concentrated poverty housing is a terrible idea and that place constantly had people coming in and out for corpses. However, I don't think that's a defence at all for the number of social housing units falling, because yes you needed to get rid of that, but you also needed to at the same time produce places for the people displaced by that change to live.

The West is a poo poo paper and you should never trust the reporting but it's also a pretty poo poo defence of lower public housing units by McGowan.

That's somewhat of a relief. I guess I'll return Labor back to their "poo poo, but not as poo poo as the LNP" status.

Man, lucky I wasn't watching A Current Affair if I'm going to bite that easy... :yayclod:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

SecretOfSteel posted:

That's somewhat of a relief. I guess I'll return Labor back to their "poo poo, but not as poo poo as the LNP" status.

Man, lucky I wasn't watching A Current Affair if I'm going to bite that easy... :yayclod:

Oh Lord, I shouldn't have looked and now I do want a bite...

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-28/hirewire-philippe-petit-sydney-harbour-bridge-street-artist/102394658

Even high wire performers find :acab:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Silver linings people. Silver linings.

:suicide:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

starkebn posted:

What . The . gently caress ?

We've had it wrong all along, landlords and real estate agents, benevolent and altruistic, are just trying to help you.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Recoome posted:

This is what happens when we outsource economic decisions to a central bank though. We are seeing results of the sins of previous Liberal and Labor governments at various levels.

Nothing will happen, I'm afraid due to the way these firms are constructed.

Hard to find the time to read through the solid wall of text that is First Dog on the Moon, but essentially a repeat of this from the Banking Royal Commission:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Cartoon posted:

Just another victim of the culture wars and the toxic woke agenda. Nah really just inject the shardenfruden straight into my viens. This is the gift that keeps giving. What we need now is for Kerry Stokes to go "Nah mate I only promised you the money 'cause I thought you were innocent but it turns out you are a complete piece of poo poo.

ADF saying that there has been a complete change of culture since :fap:

:shepface:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

It doesn't matter what these soldiers do, as long as they're not "woke" these fuckers will defend *anything*

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Nutsak posted:

As a person that generally lurks, I would rather read seventy posts by Bucky than defeatist poo poo like this. Instead of telling him he doesn't know what he's talking about point him in the direction of resources.

The bloke rambles, but he's trying to make his area better.

:hmmyes:

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Tim Smith travels to Kyiv, slams ongoing embassy closure

First beers, then peoples fences, now the ongoing embassy closures. Tim's a slamming machine.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Just say it ABC: ACAB

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-09/crossing-the-line/102065454

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Expecting 10s of posts of people barrelling in going "Van Badham did what?!"

Never sure how to feel about her. She writes some really good solid things but other times she's the very example of why rusted-on-labor types are so very frustrating.