Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Has there been any good news for the LNP this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Aware posted:

2023 off to a great start. Rest in piss pell.
Truth. Come on Kissinger, don't let us down.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/marquelawyers/status/1613013199254872065
Amazing.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Paul Keating keeps beating on about "security in Asia" but kind of ignores China's expansion with the South China Sea with is causing major hostility with all the countries in the area against China. Asia isn't some sort of monolithic bloc. I linked this a while ago that explains how Australia's defense posture is thought on a geopolitical scale. Also Paul Keating doesn't speak for all of Asia and the reactions have been mixed about the sub deal from different Asian countries.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Recoome posted:

I’ll tell ya, this is a bit of a creative interpretation of what happened in East Timor.
I would say it is too "light"

hooman posted:

I'm no Keating fan, but on this he's right. We can have a defensive posture that isn't funnelling money into US weapons manufacturers. How are those F-35s going?
I think you should look around and see that 5th generation fighters (and all modern military products for that matter) for everyone have been a huge resource drain.

What defensive posture would you suggest? Keating isn't taking into account expansionist policies pursued by China and this will alienate Australia if we follow his advice. Yeah, Australia has had lovely foreign policy(especially E.Timor) in the past but that doesn't mean much larger countries can't be worse than us.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From what I remember Latham was well known as a maniac even by the time he ran as Labor leader,

The Chaser called him "Labor Policy Thug"

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Capt.Whorebags posted:

The last decisive victory was what, WWII? I don't think you could call skirmishes in Somalia, Balkans, Grenada etc "wars" as such.
Gulf War. Most recent non-US one was the Azeri-Armenia war and if Russia didn't intervene Armenia would have had it much worse.

hooman posted:

Is there any amount of military procurement that will result in Australia winning a war with China?
Australia and China aren't the only countries in the world and if there is a war between the two you can be sure as poo poo others will be involved.

hooman posted:

I guess this is fundamentally a philosophical question rather than a policy one. Either we throw billions at weapons at the beck and call of the US to aid their posturing against China, or we say "lol" and keep good trade and relations with China and act as an economic partner (note partner) in South East Asia.
What if Chinese expansionist policy pisses off everyone to the point that the US steps in and takes military action? It's not exactly unknown that China has strained relations with all of its neighbours and you hoping things won't deteriorate further is absurd. Also good trade relations is pretty laughable "there should be an investigation into the origins of COVID" *softs ban coal from Australia while cities have rolling blackouts*.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Konomex posted:

America has child marriage (some states with no lower age limit).
This is true but I doubt a judge would allow 2 ten year olds to get married. It could happen in a conservative state like *checks list* California.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

hooman posted:

This is my point. Our defensive strategy relies not on military procurement but on creating strong bonds with nations that could crush us, so that they have an incentive to protect us if someone else decides to get grabby. With that in mind why are we only yoking ourselves to the US and why are we funnelling huge amounts of money to them while antagonising China?
Read the Wikileaks file I linked a few days ago, it explains Australia's problems of security ties vs economic ties. While it does not explain everything and if you can't be bothered to read it I will summarise. China sells a lot of stuff to the world including the US but Australia is one of the few countries with a trade surplus with China. However world shipping is secured by the US and its massive navy so we need them to keep the shipping lanes open or if they decide to close shipping lanes to China then Australia and China will both be hosed. China is causing problems in the SCS and its fishing fleet doing illegal fishing in territorial waters of other countries, this is pissing off everyone and is causing them to turn to the US security umbrella. If the US decides or is persuaded by other countries to do "something" and we are all in with China for security we won't have a say to ask the US to keep our interests in mind.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

hooman posted:

Thanks, I missed that in the thread and will hunt it down and give it a read. This is an actually persuasive argument about our security position, dealing with economic and political realities rather than Booo China bad, USA GOOD FREEDOM DEMOCRACY
One of the most unusual youtubers to gain prominence in the past year Perun. An Australian who works in the defence industry and had a esoteric channel, then after the Russo-Ukrainian war kicked off he started making power-point presentations of military matters on a macro level, since it seems to be what day job is and his channel became very popular for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVqGEtPj0M0

This video is about the defense of small nations and he covers all the different aspects of how a small country has to solve its security dilemmas, it is applicable to Australia though. The video is him just talking over powerpoint slides for a hour but don't let that deter you. He is really good at it and by the end you will understand why.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

JBP posted:

I'd rather live here than in China and in China rather than America.

JPB. Your trolling standards have really taken a huge dive or you revealed yourself to be ethnically Han.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

EoinCannon posted:

A company that wants his political connections (such as they are) and doesn't really care about what the general public think of them. I can't really think of what that might be right now, defence manufacturers?

DependsTM

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

The only priest I've ever liked

There are plenty of other dead priests you know?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

quote:

Previously Massingham said he could not “rule out foul play,” according to CNN affiliate 7 News.

Police confirmed they were looking into a possible link between Trotter’s disappearance and her recycling habits – she was known to go through trash cans outside her home and neighboring properties for recycling waste that had been put in the wrong bins.

She’d then put it in the correct bin to be recycled, police said.

“Whether that’s created some angst amongst the tenants, we’re working through that at the moment,” Massingham said.
This is so loving weird.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

That happened ages ago, it’s been in the qld news for weeks.

I don't read the Courier Mail. Should I start again?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

They had a chance to give the monarchy a bit of a shot in the arm. Make the case for its relevance. And they just hosed it up completely. This is the most boring depressing poo poo I've seen in my life. Bunch of adults playing dress-ups and make-believe and they couldn't even manage a smile. Couldn't remember 5 lines he's had literally his whole life to learn. gently caress outta here.
If he wanted what was best for the monarchy he would have abdicated the throne in favour of William. I don't think he is likeable but I don't see people get riled up about him and Kate.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

quote:

Besanko ruled the newspapers however had failed to prove their allegation that Roberts-Smith committed an act of domestic violence in 2018 against a woman with whom he was having an affair. Nevertheless the newspapers succeeded on a contextual truth defence and their publication of the allegation did not defame him
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jun/01/ben-roberts-smith-loses-defamation-case-with-judge-saying-newspapers-established-truth-of-some-murders

Oh god.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Having Kerry Stokes’ bankroll and support probably didn’t help his judgement.

You would think that Quentin Bryce withdrawing herself as a character witness for his trial would have set off alarm bells for team BRS

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Simon Crean has died. Should I care?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Raptorfag was hardly the worst thing about Auspol.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Recoome posted:

Lmao imagine falling for an obvious JBP low effort post in TYOOL 2023

Yeah

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

The Gold Coast is pretty much the worst place in the country. Not just in terms of politics or demographics but to visit as well.

A lot of the northern Gold Coast reminds me of a 80s Miami aesthetic and the 80s for that matter which I hate. Although I have good memories of the place since my family would rent out places on the beachfront places at Tugun and Bilinga during school holidays. There are so many nicer beaches though nearby.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

I remember years ago in a forgotten Auspol thread someone posted a question to Noel which was literally "My wife and I are retired and we have a little over a million in savings and an investment property in addition to the home we live in. How can we get by on our pension?"

This has the same wonderful energy. I am sure JBP has an excellent take on this financial matter.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Recoome posted:

Dictator Comrade Danandrews “The Bat Man” Andrews, who single handedly chained the border shut, has left the building

Any reasons given?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Is it too late for bear puns? Australia's only bears are at Mardi gras

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

I, for one, will never forgive Brisbane for what they did to Fitzroy.
Produce 3 GF flags in 3 consecutive years with the Lions emblem after Fitzroy's last premiership win was in WW2? I can bear ly contain my rage at this stolen valour.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Bunch of pervs should get their own ball to kick around.

Grin and bear it

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Sausage sizzle at my polling place in Moreton electorate. I had a dude vote before me and he was wearing brown slacks, RM Williams, a boring rear end button up white collared shirt with vertical stripes and an Akurbra hat. He brought his toddler daughter along and she was wearing a Yes vote t-shirt. Completely unsurprising.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

13 years of committees following committees following committees and endless bureaucratic bullshit, all leading to exactly nothing.

The system works.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Animal Friend posted:

I honestly hate Australia

If you're native Australian the feeling is mutual.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

I got summons to do jury duty in 3 weeks time. Any suggestions to keep my sanity for 4 weeks?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Captain Theron posted:

It might help to focus on being potentially the only bulwark against a jury voting by its gut instead of the case presented to them. But that might just break your sanity sooner.

Well poo poo.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Urcher posted:

Word cloud for October:

Thanks Posters

Finally getting the credit I deserve.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Not really surprising, at least it will give time for the new premier to settle in before the next election to trounce the LNP again. Maybe we will get another election where Labor loses a another seat or 2 to the Greens while Labor picks up the same amount from the LNP.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

and you drive around on local roads in such an appalling state of repair that they wouldn’t look out of place in Nigeria, in between trips on private for profit roads and tunnels. I spent $115 in tolls on a recent road trip I did (hunter valley and Sydney) and I was in Sydney Literally from mid Sunday to Mid wednesday.

Lots of local roads in Brisbane are poo poo too. Brisbane is a clean city which is great.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Recoome posted:

Heritage listing in Brisbane means poo poo as either the house accidentally catches fire or there’s no consequences for knocking it down.
I wish the owners of a house down the street from me got that memo. The place has been empty for 15+ years only last year they moved the house forward a few metres and built a new house in the backyard. The old house still has that temporary construction fence around it.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

Merry Christmas Auspiss goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

No, I'm saying they never faced genocide by the PRC. The Chinese did exactly what they said they were doing, teaching people various trades and a second language to remove barriers to employment and revitalise the economy of Xinjiang. And it worked. Not even ASPI is bothering to peddle Xinjiang stories now.

Lessening the divide between city and country is good, actually.

Holy poo poo.